Fight "Outside the Box"

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Fight "Outside the Box"

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Slow moving, dumb (yet strong & motivated) opponents can leave you with some options that you might not otherwise have. Things like..

A lasso or hook & chain as a weapon? Snare a zombie, and then drag it through a mile of cactus! You'll need a clear shot, or an offroad vehicle, or a nimble vehicle to drag it behind. But if you basically get it off it's feet, you can just keep moving, and let nature & friction take their course.

Anything else off the top of your heads?
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Fight "Outside the Box"

Unread post by Traska »

Slow, shambling undead you say? How about steel bear traps? Lay them out around the homestead. They serve numerous purposes. First (and most importantly) a hobbled zombie is an even slower zombie. Second, even those reduced to crawling will eventually hit another bear trap if you lay them out properly (being too stupid to not put their hand in). Eventually, you've got wiggling torsos. Lastly, that loud SNAP tells you that you've got company. Time to break out the chainsaws and shotguns.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

tedted wrote:
Traska wrote:Slow, shambling undead you say? How about steel bear traps? Lay them out around the homestead. They serve numerous purposes. First (and most importantly) a hobbled zombie is an even slower zombie. Second, even those reduced to crawling will eventually hit another bear trap if you lay them out properly (being too stupid to not put their hand in). Eventually, you've got wiggling torsos. Lastly, that loud SNAP tells you that you've got company. Time to break out the chainsaws and shotguns.

my players just tried this last week. it worked till all the traps were full

That's when the next layer of your defences begins to kick in.

300 carelessly discarded rakes.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Therumancer wrote: Now granted, there ARE ways to "cheez" the setting. Like for example making a recording of a zombie moaning, setting it up somewhere to lure all the zombies out of an area, and then going in to do what you want to do with imputiny. Don't get the impression for all of my comments about the the game that I am a stupid power munchkin that can't deal with anything that can't be overcome in straight combat.

Actually, that's an adventure setup right there. "Test whether or not Zombies will respond to a recorded call." One that can go any number of ways, once you throw in Fast-Attack, Thinkers, etc...
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

"Hey, the box is there for a reason. I like thinking inside of it. I feel safe in there." -Tucker, Red Vs. Blue

A lasso or hook & chain as a weapon? Snare a zombie, and then drag it through a mile of cactus! You'll need a clear shot, or an offroad vehicle, or a nimble vehicle to drag it behind. But if you basically get it off it's feet, you can just keep moving, and let nature & friction take their course.

seems kinda inefficent. especially if your in a vehicle. you can only effect a single zomb', the amount of time needed to degrade a zomb' using friction is ridiculously long, and now your just trailing a screaming zomb' that will attract every zomb' in the surrounding region to your vehicle.

besides, do you know how hard it is to lasso a moving target?

Slow, shambling undead you say? How about steel bear traps? Lay them out around the homestead. They serve numerous purposes. First (and most importantly) a hobbled zombie is an even slower zombie. Second, even those reduced to crawling will eventually hit another bear trap if you lay them out properly (being too stupid to not put their hand in). Eventually, you've got wiggling torsos. Lastly, that loud SNAP tells you that you've got company. Time to break out the chainsaws and shotguns.

eventually you run out of traps.
plus you have the problem of getting the zomb' to go to the trap. mechanical trapping for animals works because you bait the trap with something the animal likes to eat or smell. a zomb' eats people. somehow i can't see using human bait as viable.

and then you have upkeep. you have to send a person out (a very strong person) to rest the traps. which would be difficult when facing a zomb' horde. especially since the zomb's effected by the traps would be wailing and attracting more zomb's to your position.

Lye filled trenches. Sure they can go into them, but until they stack enough to get up the other side, you're relatively safe. And the ones on the bottom are destroyed by the lye to.

There are all sorts of corrosives and oxidizers found in various shipping venues. Experiment a little until you find some fast acting, but long term ones and use them to safe guard your havens.
Just be careful!

the problem being that first you have to dig trenches, and then relocate enough acidic material to fill them. both of which carry huge risks in terms of running into zomb's.

then you have the problem of acid. there is no such thing as "fast acting but long term" acid. those chemicals that last a long time tend to be poor for dissolving stuff, and those good at dissolving stuff tend to loose their potency fast once exposed to other chemicals. remember that an acid's effects are the result of chemical reactions. things that react well with materials (fast acting acids) tend to react to the air and ground itself, eventually neutralizing itself. those that don't react as well tend to last longer, but would have minimal effect of materials.

so you'd have to constantly add more acid to make it work, even when no zomb's are attacking, and your acid supply isn't infinite. plus the resulting coumpounds from the zomb's being exposed to acid would fill up the trench with goo, requiring oyu to dig new trenches after attacks, or dig out the existing ones. both of which carry big danger should zomb's attack again.

bar1scorpio wrote:
Therumancer wrote: Now granted, there ARE ways to "cheez" the setting. Like for example making a recording of a zombie moaning, setting it up somewhere to lure all the zombies out of an area, and then going in to do what you want to do with imputiny. Don't get the impression for all of my comments about the the game that I am a stupid power munchkin that can't deal with anything that can't be overcome in straight combat.

Actually, that's an adventure setup right there. "Test whether or not Zombies will respond to a recorded call." One that can go any number of ways, once you throw in Fast-Attack, Thinkers, etc...
actually that would be an intersting experiment. is the zomb's wail aural or psychical in nature? (Ie: is just sound that attacts them, or some psychic signal accompanying the sound?)

if just sound, using a recorded wail to decoy the zomb's would be a wonderful way to reduce your own risks on missions. though you'd need to have some really good speakers to try this out.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Dead Reign™”