Rune smithing

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Rune smithing

Unread post by GundamChief »

I read all of the books I have and have a couple that mention the OCC but does anyone know where I can find the "Rune Smith" OCC or is that like the Alchemist (Which is mainly a NPC).

I got a few Ideas I just thought up but need to know if OCC is around or not.

Also, besides the stuff in the RPG. What exactly is the process in making a rune weapon, material wise and how powerful you need to be at magic.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Aiyr wrote:The closest thing (OCC-wise) you're going to find currently out right now is in the RIFTS book, Pantheons of the Megaverse; the Asgardian Dwarven Rune Smith OCC. A lot of conversions might have to be made, but it might work.

As for the actual creation of Rune Weapons, might I suggest taking a look at Rifts World Book 2: Atlantis.

There really is nothing there. They still can't make rune weapons. The process is not explained except to say they need spell casters to help casting unknown magics and can't make any alone.
The only thing any good about them is getting to start with a lesser rune weapon.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Re: Rune smithing

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Jaden Korr wrote:because unless they plan on actually releasing the fabled Mysteries of Magic supplement

I love that line. Ive talked a lot with Nexxy, and Im looking forward to it. IF it ever comes out. He has this way of making you psyched up about something he's psyched up about, even just over yahoo

--
GS
:bandit:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Rune smithing

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

GundamChief wrote:I read all of the books I have and have a couple that mention the OCC but does anyone know where I can find the "Rune Smith" OCC or is that like the Alchemist (Which is mainly a NPC).

Like the Alchemist, rune smith is not an OCC it is a npc desigation. Sence the end of the Elf Dwarf Wars there have been no Rune Smiths on palladia. And even if there were, they would not accknolage it at all.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Palladium has kept Rune Magic vague for some reason, no matter what setting it is. The way I see it is, to actually define or tag a set of rules on the workings of Runes would take away the mystery and power of what remains a nearly lost art.

Sure, the Asgardian Dwarves know it, and a player can be a Rune Smith, but the techniques are kept far out of their reach. "Greatest Rune Swords for everyone!" And for all we players know, the likes of the Splugorth and even Lizard Mages may only have a fraction of what the Old Ones could do with Runes.

I mean, somewhere, one of the books hints at an entire throne covered in Runes created by Xy, himself. I would certainly hate to know what sort of entity would be bound inside such a device, if there even is one.

Until the day the good writers at Palladium Books decide to go insane and actually create the Rune Smith OCC and the actual workings of Rune Magic, it'll just remain an open-ended tool for GMs. Until then, can I offer up anyone a suit of paper armor?
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't think I'll need Runesmith OCC anytime soon. You can just make up a rune weapon. It doesn't really matter who made the weapon or whether the creator is alive or dead. The atrribute requirements and the OCC skills for the creator isn't very interesting to me.

To answer the question, there is no Runesmith OCC

-Vek
"Rune weapons aren't all that great anyway."
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Something to keep in mind for the munchies out there clamouring for it...

A true Rune Smith that did not keep his knowledge of that art secret would VERY quickly become hunted not only by governments for a weapons making slave, but by the various Elven and Dwarven populations to KILL him or her (or at the very least, thrown through the nearest open rift...). :-P

Having an entire race (let alone two) looking to kill you, and every major government in the world looking to enslave you kinda gives a zest to life, although the paranoia it generates is kinda anno
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

The creation of a Rune Artifact requires heavy duty, mostly evil magic rituals that permanently imprison very powerfull supernatural entities (such as greater demons, elder dragons, spirits of light, godlings, etc).

The concept of having a player character who is actively involved in this behavior is rather un-workable in your average game, but it might be on the cards for a very high level, high powered game which does actually include such things as Dragon or Godling player characters.

Other than that sort of scenario.. leave it be, you either won't give it the level of difficulty and danger it warrants or you are being waaay to soft on your players.

8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Lunarix wrote:
Pyrineous the One wrote:I think that having an actual Runesmith OCC would cause a terrible powercreep in PF similar to that of the disaster that was created through the later rifts books power creep.

they cpould always create the occ with a comment of npc character only.

That way if a GM wants to throw them in the campaign they can and it gives a standard for creating rune weapons, I dont see the total harm in that.

If you don't see the harm, you obviously haven't run many players for PF. You would have SOOOOO much constant "but I wanna play one.. why not? I promise I wont make any items for a while.. I promise not to make any uber-items" etc etc etc.

Sure, it might say NPC only... the Alchemist says NPC only, and doesnt even have an OCC actually written... no real details on it.. but you still constantly see players trying to play one..

On the other hand- what does the GM need to know, if, for some CRAZY reason, he decided to throw one in? Hrmm... its a lost form of magic.. both elves and dwarves have forbidden it, along with many other races. It requires a LOT of time, power, money, and effort. Also, it requires a soul. Some sources say a supernatural being has to be sacrificed, but other sources dont say that. Just powerful souls. So... what more do you need, do have an NPC that has the power?

--
GS
:bandit:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Therumancer wrote:Apparently the Japenese in RIFTS have the secret also as the Samurai there have Rune Swords.
>>>----Therumancer--->

Pseudo rune weapons.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Make it so incredibly difficult to get the knowledge, find the right tools (Rune anvil, yeah I like that idea.. plus five gallons of Dragon blood, an Eye of Eylor, a lock of hair from a god, etc), then track down, battle and capture a massively powerful magical being who is not simply sacrificed.. no that is waaaay to humane for Rune magic.. transformation and entrapment in a rune artifact is a permanent process, it is nasty, torturous, unholy and it forever.. forever.. enslaves a living being into an inanimate object.
Rune magic is quite evil, why do you think the Splugies love it so much? They are interdimensional slave lords who delight in that sort of sick behavior.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

ZEN wrote:Make it so incredibly difficult to get the knowledge, find the right tools (Rune anvil, yeah I like that idea.. plus five gallons of Dragon blood, an Eye of Eylor, a lock of hair from a god, etc), then track down, battle and capture a massively powerful magical being who is not simply sacrificed.. no that is waaaay to humane for Rune magic.. transformation and entrapment in a rune artifact is a permanent process, it is nasty, torturous, unholy and it forever.. forever.. enslaves a living being into an inanimate object.
Rune magic is quite evil, why do you think the Splugies love it so much? They are interdimensional slave lords who delight in that sort of sick behavior.

Well you could always look for powerful but aged warriors who would love the opportunity to be bonded with a rune weapon so they can fight evil for eternity instead of dying of old age.
Last edited by Dr. Doom III on Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-George Orwell

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”