Rifts Alaska

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

So are you in Anchorage? I'm from there and have many contacts if your interested like Jhon "Bosco". Unfortunately I got stationed in Altus, OK where there are NO gamers. :(
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Could it have been a net-book you're remembering? I seem to remember a fairly extensive Alaska netbook out there sometime back.

PigLick
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The only thing I remember from the books about that far north is a submersible fortress of unknown Earth origin that is fixed in the icepack.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Did you read all of the sequels to Dune? They are awesome except for maybe Heritics, I thought it dealt too much with sex. However, that is one of the basest desires of the Human being or any animal for that matter. It just showed how we're able to be controlled by it.

The ice locked fortress is in, hang on...Spirit West on Pg 208 the very last page with no stats. I don't like how it is manned by Eskimos but their classes are given as Modern Indians (xx%), Renegades (xx%) and non-Indians. Well first off none of them are Indians their all American Natives. Second Eskimos aren't "Indians" any way their of Mongolian descent and likely the last peoples to cross the land bridge. So according to that they'd be in the non-Indian which is 10%.

Oh and no I'm not native. I just don't like particular history. Like I don't like how many of the "Indians" Anglisized their names. For that mater how anyone Americanized their names did you know that General Charle E. Yeager's name was respelled from Jager. I like that a lot more at least it translates to something cool from German. Just like a native name it's one thing to know that his name is for example Howling Wolf but in the native tongue it would sound different from some one with the same name that is Sioux or Apache or Mohawk. It is additional identity and history.
gaby
Knight

Rifts Alaska

Unread post by gaby »

I Hope Kevin Siembieda will do a World book on Alaska?

Here is Alaska in my game

Anchange got exchange by the Rifts with a city from a Palladium like world ruler by a God and is made up of Humans,Elves,Dwarves and wolfens.

Fort fair is the only tech-power in Alaska it,s population is 200500 (70%Humans and 30%D-bees)

The New Navy have a Secret port alaska,s coast.

The Bad Guys are the Daityas and monsters.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Didn't the Alaska net book have a big prison filled with mutant animals or something like that?
I think whoever wrote it was a big TMNT fan.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Lord Splynncryth wrote:Sounds too crowded for me. Mine is actually beautiful and serene with the occasional Canadian, Russian, and Chinese demon running around. Probably one of the safest locales in NA.

That's my Alaska, except its a little bit more inhospitable and demon ridden.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

The Fifth Business wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh and no I'm not native. I just don't like particular history. Like I don't like how many of the "Indians" Anglisized their names. For that mater how anyone Americanized their names did you know that General Charle E. Yeager's name was respelled from Jager. I like that a lot more at least it translates to something cool from German. Just like a native name it's one thing to know that his name is for example Howling Wolf but in the native tongue it would sound different from some one with the same name that is Sioux or Apache or Mohawk. It is additional identity and history.

Sadly, even the words "Sioux" and "Mohawk" are tainted by European influence. These tribes originally called themselves by different names which usually translated to some variation of "human being." The words Mohawk and Sioux are names that were given to the tribes by their enemies to which the British and French were allied. Thus, these names remain, which translate to something less than flattering in English. However, these are the names that stuck.

A little off topic =)

I dated a "Sioux" girl for awhile. She said her tribe's name was Shungmanitou {sp?}, I forget what it meant. As for a world-book, I'd love to see one that goes into greater detail about the west coast {I'm sure southern CA would be finally gone, thanks to the world's upheaval}.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Meh

Hobbes wrote:I liked Children of Dune best. Leto II rocks, although the prequels were good. They were better written, but less deep (i.e. more character development and a smoother style, but less of the philosophical undertones).

Anyways, to answer your question...I don't know. But it would be cool to know what's in Alaska...

Uh well their is snow and FISH and Glaciers and FISH and Elmendorf and FISH and Eilson and FISH and Kodiak Naval Base and FISH and maybe Oilrigs on the Northslope still and FISH (I HATE FISH). Then there's all the "indians" the Spirit West mentions and Eskimo's. I'm using and too much and that's pretty much all thats up there now. Two big cities Anchorage and Fairbanks many smaller cities most notable Eagle River (within the Anchorage Burrow) and the states capitol Juneau (intelligently placed away from the population centers so as to spare the life of the Politician from the average person). Primary Exports are Oil and Fish. In Rifts the rigs or at least oil caps are still there or else there a giant oil slick or a lake of fire. on the Northslope. The Pipeline is likely decimated. Anchorage for the most part and Elmendorf are about 40ft above sea level so they should be intact. Currently Anchorage is a port but the large amounts of silt poring into the Cook/Turnagain Inlets require that the port be dredged. So in Rifts it is quite possible that traveling to Anchorage or Elmendorf by sea requires a trek across treacherous glacier silt wich acts like quicksand but worse when wet. Sucking you in and almost impossible to pull out since the heavy dense basically rock dust creates a air tight seal around your body, travel would likely be best done in the winter when it is frozen. The silt though above sea level would likely still be wet from the Various Rivers running into the Silt Inlet. Maybe it's now called "the Plain of Death"? Eilson and Fairbanks sit in pretty much the center of the state or close enough they may be Glaciated? The city and base are surrounded by mountain ranges causing it to have some of the coldest and hottest temperatures in AK. I believe they are in an area that is considered Arctic Desert. There are many small towns and native villages. There is also an Army fort I can't remember where it is though. The Chugach Mountain range is littered with Nike nuclear missile silos that aren't currently used for their original purpose, some were purchased and used for storage. AK is supposed to be one of the sites for Pres. Bush's defence missile system. Can't really think of anything else.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Vrykolas2k wrote: As for a world-book, I'd love to see one that goes into greater detail about the west coast {I'm sure southern CA would be finally gone, thanks to the world's upheaval}.

working on one (well, i kinda took off where the TFNP died.)

cali now has a huge inland sea, and what was the southern coastline is now a string of islands.

the whole coast pretty much is a wilderness, with only a few pockets of low population civilization (one nation in oregon, perhaps one in cali, this is aside from the preserves. not that by low population, i mean under a hundred thousand people.)

most of the book will end up as a creature catalog, with new animals and preds for use.

currently i'm writing it up as a series of rifter articles.

(it figures some of the coolest idea's came from other TFNP authors. now i can't use them. :( )
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

DarkSephiroth wrote:hoo boy, here it comes again....why cant we just leave alaska alone? Why does every part of Rifts Earth have to have a "Last stronghold of humanity", or a "Kingdom of magic, untouched by human supremacy"....why cant you just leave alaska as a wilderness? What's wrong with the entire area being buried under a ton of snow and ice?

Because Alaska is more than a wilderness buried under a ton of snow. Despite stories to the contrary, Alaska is NOTHING like the Northern Hinterlands of the Palladium world. You should take a look at a map some day. We ARE 1/3 of the United States.

If ANY place were to survive a Rifts type holocaust it would be Alaska. People keep asking where the Coalition gets all its natural resouces for the vast armies it produces. Guess what, a realistic answer would be places like Alaska. The U.S. has gone through great lengths to see that the better part of this state remains untouched. Despite what bleeding-heart anti-ANWAR people would have you believe.

If for some reason there was a global economy crash (or any other type of holocaust), I am sitting in the ideal place. While the rest of the U.S. would be killing eachother over clean drinking water, I would be taking extra long showers and flushing the toilet twice (gotta have a courtesy flush).
I love a good fight...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Fifth Business wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh and no I'm not native. I just don't like particular history. Like I don't like how many of the "Indians" Anglisized their names. For that mater how anyone Americanized their names did you know that General Charle E. Yeager's name was respelled from Jager. I like that a lot more at least it translates to something cool from German. Just like a native name it's one thing to know that his name is for example Howling Wolf but in the native tongue it would sound different from some one with the same name that is Sioux or Apache or Mohawk. It is additional identity and history.

Sadly, even the words "Sioux" and "Mohawk" are tainted by European influence. These tribes originally called themselves by different names which usually translated to some variation of "human being." The words Mohawk and Sioux are names that were given to the tribes by their enemies to which the British and French were allied. Thus, these names remain, which translate to something less than flattering in English. However, these are the names that stuck.

A little off topic =)

Wow I did not know that. Cool! In that case I'd love to see a list of the romanized spellings of the original tribes names.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

DarkSephiroth wrote:hoo boy, here it comes again....why cant we just leave alaska alone? Why does every part of Rifts Earth have to have a "Last stronghold of humanity", or a "Kingdom of magic, untouched by human supremacy"....why cant you just leave alaska as a wilderness? What's wrong with the entire area being buried under a ton of snow and ice?

No one would have to do another book. There already is a last human stronghold in Alaska. It is covered in Spirit West but doesn't have any stats. If a book was made it probably still would be all wilderness. Whats wrong with it not being? Hey everyone how about a Rifts world book : Antarctica a land barren of everything even magic except for the uber nexus at the south pole that leads to the depths of a Zer0 Kelvin ice planet where nothing can live. :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Ten Tigers wrote:

Because Alaska is more than a wilderness buried under a ton of snow. Despite stories to the contrary, Alaska is NOTHING like the Northern Hinterlands of the Palladium world. You should take a look at a map some day. We ARE 1/3 of the United States.

If ANY place were to survive a Rifts type holocaust it would be Alaska. People keep asking where the Coalition gets all its natural resouces for the vast armies it produces. Guess what, a realistic answer would be places like Alaska. The U.S. has gone through great lengths to see that the better part of this state remains untouched. Despite what bleeding-heart anti-ANWAR people would have you believe.

If for some reason there was a global economy crash (or any other type of holocaust), I am sitting in the ideal place. While the rest of the U.S. would be killing eachother over clean drinking water, I would be taking extra long showers and flushing the toilet twice (gotta have a courtesy flush).

Hey whats up? nice to see someone posting from up there. So is Bosco's still open? I heard the Eagle River shop closed down. When I was up there last Shoi-Do on Muldoon was closed too. :( Sad days for pen and paper gamers.

Is that really a courtesy flush or just to make the shower go cold :) would that be an uncourtesy flush?
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

Yes, bosco's is still open and so is the one in diamond. eagle river had a sold out sale, most of PB merchandise was gone but wasn't a total loss.

Courtesy flush......(Snicker 8-) ) dude, we have natural spring water coming into our faucets (I do anyway!). we can take a couple of sips and dump it on the ground on wab cam for the fun of it.

there is R.O.C.C. (Regional Operation Command Center) under Elemindorf airbase. My father was stationed up here in the 70s and learned about this stuff (Pretty smart man too, doesn't stop learning!).

anyway, R.O.C.C. is supposed to be the NORAD of Alaska. Norad basically covers the southern hemisphere with radio and air traffic as well as defense n stuff. R.O.C.C. is the same thing but it covers the Northern Hemisphere.

When I learned about it, I decided to look for info on it, couldn't find any (Didn't search real hard though). wanted to write a thing for systems failure in rifter, about survivors from FOX and stuff and how the "Great White North" is fighting back, also wrote part of a thing called "Operation: Bugout" for that setting. Since Norad was fighting down in the 48 why not ROCC in the north. (Comon, doesn't that sound like it would ROCC!) 8-)

sorry to not focus on rifts part but wanted to mention my stuff.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

GundamChief wrote:Yes, bosco's is still open and so is the one in diamond. eagle river had a sold out sale, most of PB merchandise was gone but wasn't a total loss.

Courtesy flush......(Snicker 8-) ) dude, we have natural spring water coming into our faucets (I do anyway!). we can take a couple of sips and dump it on the ground on wab cam for the fun of it.

there is R.O.C.C. (Regional Operation Command Center) under Elemindorf airbase. My father was stationed up here in the 70s and learned about this stuff (Pretty smart man too, doesn't stop learning!).

anyway, R.O.C.C. is supposed to be the NORAD of Alaska. Norad basically covers the southern hemisphere with radio and air traffic as well as defense n stuff. R.O.C.C. is the same thing but it covers the Northern Hemisphere.

When I learned about it, I decided to look for info on it, couldn't find any (Didn't search real hard though). wanted to write a thing for systems failure in rifter, about survivors from FOX and stuff and how the "Great White North" is fighting back, also wrote part of a thing called "Operation: Bugout" for that setting. Since Norad was fighting down in the 48 why not ROCC in the north. (Comon, doesn't that sound like it would ROCC!) 8-)

sorry to not focus on rifts part but wanted to mention my stuff.

Have you seen John around Bosco's any? I remember when I used to live up there and they were in the west wing of DC not the front like they still are (I'm assuming) that John used to be the one to deliver the shipments (for some reason it impressed me that the owner would actually do some work).

ROCC would just be the type of command NORAD would be a ROCC. Try looking up elephant cage antenna or FLR 9. It is the antenna type that is used at Elmendorf as the Top Cover listening array. If you go into the main gate office they have a base plan page as a display look tword the upper left and you can see the array as two large concentric circles.

I wish I was stationed at Elmendorf instead of Altus, OK. It's so much more metropolitan in Anchorage. They only have two coffee places here ach, and no game shops yargh. Damit I'll deal with the snow it's a worthy trade off.
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

I live out in the Knik River area, So I don't really know the people at bosco's , not well anyway. sorry.

I'll look into that plan, Forgot to mention it's like 14 stories underground.

By the way
ROCC would just be the type of command NORAD would be a ROCC.
ummm.......I'm confused what you mean there!

Not to mention all th good things you get being up here besides the game places (plenty of them) but fishing, hunting, flying, boat riding all that stuff.

have you tried to get a transfer?
[/quote]
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

GundamChief wrote:I live out in the Knik River area, So I don't really know the people at bosco's , not well anyway. sorry.

I'll look into that plan, Forgot to mention it's like 14 stories underground.

By the way
ROCC would just be the type of command NORAD would be a ROCC.
ummm.......I'm confused what you mean there!

Not to mention all th good things you get being up here besides the game places (plenty of them) but fishing, hunting, flying, boat riding all that stuff.

have you tried to get a transfer?
[/quote]

If your talking about what I think your talking about it's now filled with cement only the top "room" is accessible and often used to play tricks on new airmen. There was basically and underground base but NORAD took over most of the job with the newer technology. Just the listening antenna is still used.

Not into most out door stuff except mountain climbing, hiking and rec. vehicles.

I have tried unfortunately the position available for my AFSC requires that I be a 5 level.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I'm originally from Douglas island {those from Juneau know what I'm talking about}, and i can agree with those who state that Alaska isn't snow and ice, and people live in houses not igloos lol. people up there also generally have an entirely different outlook than people down here in the lower 48... they stick together alot better. If any bit of the US civilization would survive the Rifts, it would be the Alaskans.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

Just wanted to give a shout-out to all my fellow Alaskans, past and present.

Your testimonies prove my point.

Although the question has already been answered, yes, Bosco's Comics is still here. I am not sure if the Eagle River store has been closed or not.

Alaska is still a great place to live.
I love a good fight...
2bent2
D-Bee
Comment: War, war never changes...

Unread post by 2bent2 »

I dug this up on a search of Alaska!

I have wanted to know a little more about my state other then it being JWF!

Anyone have any new info or ideas, i believe that it would be mostly hossed but that explains much of rifts earth!

Ps my father worked at ROCC in the 80's!! I have been inside the building, huge screens just like any good war movie, massive blast door, i was in the second grade at the time, out of school for the day because i was bitten by a hybred wolf (no joke), but to me it was the greates of field days.

Return to “Rifts®”