OICW

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

OICW

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Okay, I decided to ask you guys because many of you, such as Jefffar, are knowledgeable in these areas. What would the stats be (palladium megaversal system ~ S.D.C.) for an OICW with the semi automatic grenade launcher attachment be?

Please answer as most palladium books do:
weight:
Damage:
Rate of Fire:
Range:
Payload:

Thankyou in advance for your answers.

((If this has already been discussed, redirect me to the thread)
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO (rifle) and 20x85mm (grenade launcher)
Overall length: 890 mm
Barrel length: 250 mm (rifle) 460 mm (grenade launcher)
Weight: ca 5.5 kg empty; ca 6.8 kg loaded
Magazine capacity: 20 or 30 round detachable box magazine (rifle) and 6 round detachable box magazine (grenade launcher)
Rate of Fire: Single Shot or 2 round burst
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well the OICW project has allready been cancelled, but if you look online you should find some good basic stats. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/oicw.htm

As for damage, the rifle is 5.56, which depending on the palladium book you use, is 3D6 or 4D6 (I recomend the later)

The grenade launcher, despite using smaller grenades appraently has about the same ammount of explosive power as a standard 40 mm grenade, so roughly 1D6x10.

Best I can do top of my head.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Thanks guys.

Oh and Misfit KotLD, I was pretty sure that everyone knew what an OICW was. So I did not need to elaborate.

I'd put the grenades equal to a thrown grenade by hand. There you go, problem solved.

Many Palladium Supplements place the damage of grenades higher when fired from grenade launchers, especially in the case as some are RPGs (not role playing games).

Yes, I knew the OICW was cancelled, however a single NPC using just one is not out of the question. Thanks anyways.

And again thanks for those of you who took this question as a question and didn't act indignant or sarcastic.

EDIT: Misfit, I apologize in advance if your comments were not intended to be sarcastic. That is how I precieved them, online, without vocal tones.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Misfit KotLD wrote:To be honest I almost never say anything without at least some sarcastic content. I was partially reminding you the caliber bullet and grenade used are out already in some pbooks product, from a mechanics point of view, the OICW isn't much different from an M-203. Real world is another matter, but the mechanics were in place, just slap on the OICW name and start shooting.

Thats the thing, I didn't know the caliber of the OICW, I needed full stats on it. :ugh:
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Here's some info on the XM8. This will be the newest firearm of the US Military.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 8-oicw.htm

http://www.hk-usa.com/

Basically they took the OICW and turned it into two seperate weapons rather than wait for the combo deal.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Are you sure that's range? Because you just said that a short barrled assault rifle can hit a target 3 kilometers (aprox 2 miles) away.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Lucky wrote:also keep in mind that due to the bolt carrier group and firing pin being closer to the front of the reciever, the OICW had a drastically reduced range compared to the M16, from 3534m to approximately 2900m.

lucky... maybe an M16 fired bullet only falls to the ground 3534m after leaving the barrel, but you'll never make me believe that the effective, useful range isn't MUCH shorter. Else, the M16 would be slightly modified (say, a longer, heavy barrel) and be used for sniping, and we all know it isn't... heck, I don't know of any sniping weapon using 5.56 NATO ammo
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The M-8 wil have performance comperable to the HK G-36 and will be in short, super short, standard and long barrel forms. The OICW component would have the short barrel, so would have effective range like an M-4.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

They are seriosuly going to fire full powered 25 mm cannon ammo from a shoulder weapon?

I can imagine the broken shoulders now.

I think strategy page needs to check its facts.

the OICW will use a reduced velocity round. Yeah it might have the same explosive yield as the 25 mm, but it will have a much lower velocity (which will probably reduce its armour piercing effectiveness).

MOrab46019
Wanderer

Mail Call

Unread post by MOrab46019 »

Ok how many of you watch this show? On the history channel. It's a good show and they had the Glock 18 that is one or two pound machine pistol that can use 17 or a 30 to 32 round mag. Full auto. Plus the had the XM-8 in three diffent configures. Nice weapon.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, in low calibres, like anything under about 30 mm, muzzle velocity is more important for armour penetration, It doesn't mater how much explosive punch you have, a shaped charge's effectiveness is related to its diameter.

So I wouldn't expect much for armour penetration from this weapon.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

My point is that the article makes a lot of comparisons to 25 mm cannon shells, which is not what the OICW fires.

I don't want people to get confused.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Personally, I always found the 20 mm OICW compared nicely with a 10 guage shotgun. Both were low velocity weapons intended for use with large calibre rounds that could carry special purpose payloads.

The 25 mm version makes me think of the Russian 23 mm shotgun.

I think whn it coems to the 25 mm we might end up with 3 different types of rounds.

25 mm Cannon
25 mm OCSW - High Velocity Airburst
25 mm OICW - Low Velocity Airbust

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”