Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Question

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

When cyber-knight faces an opponent using power armor does the opponent lose the benefits from his Robots and Power Armor Elite skill or just the bonuses the specifically listed in the armor's description? If you interpret the text literally I think the skill bonuses would be lost.
Negates any bonuses provided by the weapon/machine.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Question

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Mlp7029 wrote:When cyber-knight faces an opponent using power armor does the opponent lose the benefits from his Robots and Power Armor Elite skill or just the bonuses the specifically listed in the armor's description? If you interpret the text literally I think the skill bonuses would be lost.
Negates any bonuses provided by the weapon/machine.

Any bonuses from skill are not lost since they are just interfering with the tech. If it comes from the Person they don't loose it, if it comes from the hardware they loose it.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I agree with Spirit.

If the equipment provides a +2 Strike, and the user has a +3 Strike, then the result would be a +3 Strike as the CK's ability negates the equipment's +2.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

According to the text, the Zen Combat abilities also extend to guns held by the PC/NPC. My question is does it negate the bonuses that the shooter gets from the gun that are described as being inherent (such as a Wilk's Laser Pistol's superior balance giving it a +1)?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

dragonfett wrote:According to the text, the Zen Combat abilities also extend to guns held by the PC/NPC. My question is does it negate the bonuses that the shooter gets from the gun that are described as being inherent (such as a Wilk's Laser Pistol's superior balance giving it a +1)?

Yes. Also for example you get a +3 initiative against an opponent using tech, and can get an automatic dodge against technology.
So if my person pulls a gun on a 5th level CK, they will get +3 on initiative and are +3 to strike and parry me and can autododge. Meanwhile I am at -3 to dodge, and lose 2 apm, and can not use the guns strike bonus if the source is technological (custom fitted, wilks, scopes, laser sights, better balance....what ever it is, if its a tech sourced bonus it doesn't apply)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think you could even lose the elite bonuses, it can be interpreted that the bonus comes from applied use of the technology, but without it's advantages, you still would lose those bonuses when fighting a cyberknight.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:I think you could even lose the elite bonuses, it can be interpreted that the bonus comes from applied use of the technology, but without it's advantages, you still would lose those bonuses when fighting a cyberknight.

Why? Its a skill, and you have to have special training to get it.
Its not like its a hardware function....just training to use that hardware at its best.
I would say that you keep the elite bonuses....though most of them will only help to offset the CKs abilities. I mean this isn't like Karmic Power where the opponent is supposed to be helpless. And it makes it really annoying if I have to go through and recalculate what my skill is with the basic skill instead of elite. And even WORSE if you lose elite and don't get to use basic to replace it as it makes that for some reason aces are easier to kill than scrubs.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I agree really, but if the hardware is useless, why would your skill with handling it still benefit you? It's not like it's a WP.

All I meant was that it could be looked on that way.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:I agree really, but if the hardware is useless, why would your skill with handling it still benefit you? It's not like it's a WP.

The hardware isn't useless, it just doesn't give any bonus in and of itself.
If it was supposed to be totally useless I would think it would be labeled like Karmic Power that explicitly says that the opponent only gets to use natural rolls.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The APM penalty is particularly interesting because instead of being maneuver-specific, it affects something inter-maneuver, the action total...

So if 2 Cyber-Knights teamed up on a SAMAS, would it be -4 actions? Or -6 from 3 knights?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I agree really, but if the hardware is useless, why would your skill with handling it still benefit you? It's not like it's a WP.

If it was supposed to be totally useless I would think it would be labeled like Karmic Power that explicitly says that the opponent only gets to use natural rolls.

How is it still useful in the case of the knight being effectively invisible? How does your targeting computer help you in that case? I guess that's the issue I'm seeing. Where is the bonus ACTUALLY coming from? Is it a WP? Is the bonus just "because?" (which i'll accept as an answer, because so much of Rifts works that way) or is it supposed to reflect better training with the assisted targeting systems? (which means they'd get negated because it can't help you vs a cyberknight).

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:
eliakon wrote:

How is it still useful in the case of the knight being effectively invisible? How does your targeting computer help you in that case? I guess that's the issue I'm seeing. Where is the bonus ACTUALLY coming from? Is it a WP? Is the bonus just "because?" (which i'll accept as an answer, because so much of Rifts works that way) or is it supposed to reflect better training with the assisted targeting systems? (which means they'd get negated because it can't help you vs a cyberknight).

It seems to be that your better skilled at getting the most out of your gear.
Since the bonuses are stuff like +x strike (implying your better at lining up the shots) or +y dodge (so your more able to dodge) it seems that it is your personal skill.
Like I said, if it was supposed to negate all skill bonuses of tech people it would say that. Since it just says you lose the bonuses of the tech then I think you should do exactly what it says and remove all bonuses that come directly from technological sources
(and yes this does mean that cyborgs fighting CKs are screwed)

Alrik Vas
Knight

The dodging thing I have no argument with as the cyberknight can't actually slow you down with his zen com...bat...wait, you lose 2APM vs them.

tch.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:The dodging thing I have no argument with as the cyberknight can't actually slow you down with his zen com...bat...wait, you lose 2APM vs them.

tch.

And it even explicitly says why you lose them. Its not that your slowed down in any way, its that your having trouble adjusting to them.
(basically its a style familiarity penalty)

And like the strike rolls would imply that your more skilled at lining up a shot without using the computers (since anyone can use the computers with just basic)....which seems to me to be a good indication that it is 'skill and talent' and not 'better button pushing'

Alrik Vas
Knight

How are you a better shot without using the computers? How do the bonuses apply only in the power armor if you're not using the computers?

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:How are you a better shot without using the computers? How do the bonuses apply only in the power armor if you're not using the computers?

Because you have trained enough with that specific system that you know how they work. You already know how to adjust for the fall of the round or the recharge cycle of your weapon.

Now the bonus from the Weapons System roll I would say is gone, since that is using the tech systems.

But if we are arguing that you cant use training at all, then we might as well say "All foes of a CK who use technology must fight with the following penalties, in addition they may only use straight natural rolls with the possible exception of stat and OCC bonuses if your GM is nice, as anything else is simply really the tech and not the person"

Alrik Vas
Knight

But...WP still applies, as that's just using your body, it's considered non-assisted ability. That's how I see it, anyhow.

I also think superior balance and sights, basically anything that uses physical, non-electronic benefits would still work.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:But...WP still applies, as that's just using your body, it's considered non-assisted ability. That's how I see it, anyhow.

I also think superior balance and sights, basically anything that uses physical, non-electronic benefits would still work.

So....basically way I see it would be Elite piloting is more or less W.P. Power Armor as opposed to Basic which is 'I can use this, more or less, but I don't know exactly what I am doing."

Alrik Vas
Knight

And I saw that early on, but WP is WP. Meh, we don't agree on it. That's fine. I don't rob my players of every bonus when they shoot at a cyberknight, especially if they're using open sights. Point is that I don't believe power armor training counts as a WP, because it increases bonuses that can come from WP. It's clear technological augmentation that's coming from optics and targeting systems. The dodging thing stands (kind of, hard to dodge something you can't see, as you wouldn't see a cyberknight through your multi-optics, but that is aside the point). I think the bonus APM and dodge modifiers wouldn't be negated per se (not beyond the listed -2 APM penalty, anyhow), because the cyberknight doesn't get rid of your reflexes...

I mean, I could see you losing dodge bonuses if you're getting strike prediction data from your combat computer, because it no longer sees the knight, but there's nothing indicating this is the case.

Return to “Rifts®”