No crossovers?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

No crossovers?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Doesn't the rifter completely negate PBs idea of keeping the IPs seperate?

PB thinks if someone buys the rights to produce one title that if it contains a crossover with another IP that they will have given up the rights to the other IP as well. Doesn't the Rifter combine or rather contain all their IPs?

So... get back to making crossovers again.

Thinking that one IP automatically grants access to another is ridiculous and shows that their lawyer or whoever does their IP negotiations sucks. For example, Marvel sold the rights to spiderman to sony. How many crossovers with other Marvel liscenses/titles has spiderman had? Yet Sony couldn't make Avengers second string nor could they do Fantastic 4 without getting those rights. Showing that it is completely possible to make the different IPs seperate liscenses and still produce crossovers.

So again I say, get back to work and include those crossovers!
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
kaid
Knight

Re: No crossovers?

Unread post by kaid »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Doesn't the rifter completely negate PBs idea of keeping the IPs seperate?

PB thinks if someone buys the rights to produce one title that if it contains a crossover with another IP that they will have given up the rights to the other IP as well. Doesn't the Rifter combine or rather contain all their IPs?

Thinking that one IP automatically grants access to another is ridiculous and shows that their lawyer or whoever does their IP negotiations sucks. For example, Marvel sold the rights to spiderman to sony. How many crossovers with other Marvel liscenses/titles has spiderman had? Yet Sony couldn't make Avengers second string nor could they do Fantastic 4 without getting those rights. Showing that it is completely possible to make the different IPs seperate liscenses and still produce crossovers.

Well one thing to note about rifters is 90% of rifter material is listed as unofficial. The few things that are considered official are typically cutting room floor type stuff that did not make it into one of the more recent books and that almost never has any cross over material in it.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The problem with seeming legal loopholes is that they can quickly become nooses.

Best not to risk it.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:The problem with seeming legal loopholes is that they can quickly become nooses.

Best not to risk it.

The loophole isn't multiple liscenses crossing over into one setting the loophole would be trying to claim the setting is allowing you to use the liscenses. That loophole is only created through poor negotiations.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

KS has never shown any savy when it comes to lawyers.
Case in point; the "Crisis of teacherous treachery". 10 or 100k in loss from "the trecherous traitor" spiraling into the over 1 mill in legal fees. *shrug* It comes as a shock that Pbooks got nut-saqd when they singed over Rifts to Bruckenheimersteinenklienenschlitizenbourg? :demon:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

DhAkael wrote:KS has never shown any savy when it comes to lawyers.
Case in point; the "Crisis of teacherous treachery". 10 or 100k in loss from "the trecherous traitor" spiraling into the over 1 mill in legal fees. *shrug* It comes as a shock that Pbooks got nut-saqd when they singed over Rifts to Bruckenheimersteinenklienenschlitizenbourg? :demon:

:lol: thats a great agency name.

Suprised that with the trecherous trechery KS didn't turn Lord Coake into a villain.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

As far as Kevin is concerned the crossovers are limited to only PB products or PB prodcuts that PB currently hold licenses on. The rest are evil empires out to suck his soul. :P
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Not true he wont do a rt rifts crossover but thats because of tommy yune... jerk face elitist. :fool:
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Not true he wont do a rt rifts crossover but thats because of tommy yune... jerk face elitist. :fool:

Well of course he is, oh wait are you talking about Tommy? :P
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Doesn't the rifter completely negate PBs idea of keeping the IPs separate?

Thinking that one IP automatically grants access to another is ridiculous and shows that their lawyer or whoever does their IP negotiations sucks. For example, Marvel sold the rights to spiderman to sony. How many crossovers with other Marvel licenses/titles has spiderman had? Yet Sony couldn't make Avengers second string nor could they do Fantastic 4 without getting those rights. Showing that it is completely possible to make the different IPs separate licenses and still produce crossovers.

The only one "No Crossover/Conversion Rule" between PB published settings, that is only covers those with the new RT 2nd ed books in PB published material and postings on the PB site. This was one of the things HG insisted on when licensing RT 2nd ed to PB.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Exactly what crossovers did Palladium make that you want them to get back to?
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Exactly what crossovers did Palladium make that you want them to get back to?

Right?

The Rifters aren't a problem here for a number of reasons:
1) Most articles are unofficial.
2) The articles are independent and restricted to one game line. I do not recall seeing any article with RIFTS/HU2/BTS crossover.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Is not the Minion War series such a crossover?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Jorel wrote:Is not the Minion War series such a crossover?

Wot 'ee sed! :D

Oh, and Sourcebook 2; The mechanoids, and Rifts Convervion Book (1st ed; the revised was P.O.S.). Just saying...

Seriously it's not that big an issue though. The only people who will be confused are newbs and there are FAR too few of those now-a-days thanks to the lack of customer service and negative propganda flourishing in the RPG.net forums and other web-sites. Also, anyone wanting to write any material for a new book / Rifter article will be constrained (Re; WULfen as opposed to Wolfen, even though Phaseworld Book 1, 1st printing, clearly states that the WOLFEN of the 3 galaxies are related to the Palladium Fantasy 'verse) in what material can be included and how it is used.

Sadly, due to the stupidity and esoteric nature of copy-right and trademark laws in the USA media, yes, signing over Rifts means that ANYTHING else linked into it, even if it's just a word or sentence relating to another of the game lines, allows for the 2nd party to gain the rights (and exclusivity) to exploit that OTHER property.

Yeah... lawyers... *shrug* what can ya do? Personally I'll just keep on using the spirit AND letter of the 1st edition Rifts and other PB games and cross-over to my hearts content, and inform new players (heh, yeah right) about what the original mission statment for Rifts was; a megaverse of possibilities.
Last edited by DhAkael on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Granted that didn't cover AtB2, Nightbane or Splicers to make it cover all areas it did cross Palladium Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, Rifts Dimensions, and about to be plain ol Rifts.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i actually talked to PB and kevin about this, as part of figuring out certain aspects of my freelancer work.
crossovers within the different palladium lines are allowed, you just need to keep them low key.. it is one thing to mention wolfen in rifts for example, a totally different thing to have the PFRPG wolfen empire annex part of rifts earth.

the main thing is to keep the lines separate enough that if using material you don't need another line to play it or make a film off it. (for the game, this helps keep animosity over how many books are required to a minimum. for non-game products, it prevents the owner of one license from claiming all of PB's licenses.)

the main effect, from what i've been told, is that if you want to include elements from another line, you need to do one of two things..
either referance a book already in the line you are working on (like say the rifts conversion book series for rifts), or include enough material in the book/article you are writing that it can stand alone.

the preferance is actually the latter though.. at least for things like organizations and the like. (obviously the conversion books are good for races, monsters, and magic.)

so if you want a wolfen empire in rifts for example, you'd need to include all the cultural stuff in that work, and leave references to links to PFRPG vague and non-specific.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I wrote a mini-campaign Seven Years on Cerebus for the Rifter 0 PDF project and its a huge hodgepodge of crossover, specifically mixing Rifts and Splicers. There was no issue with PB about the article having any crossover of IP.

Also, didn't PB do a Rifts crossover last year with Heavy Metal magazine?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the rifter is a special case because the material is generally unofficial. from what i understand its material is not included in the licensing agreements palladium is offering.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There was a NightSPAWN / Heroes Unlimited crossover story in one of the Rifters. Rifts has NPC's from BtS [Victor Lazlo] and Heroes Unlimited [various mutants - one is in Rifts: Mercenaries] Ninjas & Super Spies [again, see Rifts: Mercenaries]

Technically, After the Bomb 1st ed and 2nd ed both have a Heroes Unlimited crossover - the Emperor of "Empire of Humanity" has the mutant ability of APS: Stone

Heroes Unlimited 2nd ed revised [the white cover] could be considered to have crossover material in it, as I believe the original, unrevised, blue cover HU did not have mutant animals in it which was a staple of TMNT/AtB.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Also I believe there is Chiang-Ku Tattoo master in one of the HU books. There is a smattering of "crossovers" between the lines already though certain things did and still do irk people, like teh removal of the PF Dragon Hatchlings in favour of "Rifts" Dragon Hatchlings.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

keep in mind most of those originated well before the adoption of this policy.. it isn't retroactive, it just governs newer products. (starting a few years ago and moving forward)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

So... people are not allowed to combine different ideas from different games, all of which are owned by Palladium Books?

Doesn't that basically negate the entire idea/philosophy of The Megaverse? Or am I just reading all of these posts incorrectly?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

No, it means they won't do so in any "official" way. You will still see crossovers in Rifter articles likely
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

Well that makes sense.

It would be pretty stupid to have the SDF-3 fold into Mutants in Orbit and become a major faction, and then lose the Robotech license and have to retcon the whole thing.

I'm all for keeping the settings separate on an official level.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:keep in mind most of those originated well before the adoption of this policy.. it isn't retroactive, it just governs newer products. (starting a few years ago and moving forward)

:nh: that makes no sense what so ever if the legal system cared and didn't recognize individual licenses remain individual and due to a crossover are not part of a package. Fox, Sony and Disney would all be screwed.
Sony couldn't do Spiderman because he appeared in both X-men and Avengers, Fox couldn't use Wolverine because he's been in multiple titles. Disney/Marvel studios because many of the avengers have also had cross overs.
IF the law cared about crossovers it wouldn't care that they've recently changed their policy and would instead see that all things produced prior to their policy change would be affected, essentially meaning the whole megaverse.
MADMANMIKE

I'm surprised that this thread is still getting traction...

Zer0 Kay wrote:Doesn't the rifter completely negate PBs idea of keeping the IPs seperate?

No, as clearly most of the Rifter is unofficial material..

Zer0 Kay wrote:PB thinks if someone buys the rights to produce one title that if it contains a crossover with another IP that they will have given up the rights to the other IP as well. Doesn't the Rifter combine or rather contain all their IPs?

How did you come by this information? I've never seen any evidence to support it.. Do you have some sort of mind reading ability the rest of us don't?

Zer0 Kay wrote:So... get back to making crossovers again.

I have pretty much every Palladium Book there is, and I can honestly say I have no hope of using all of the information published so far.. Palladium making crossovers isn't on my wish list, as each of their settings is awesome enough for me on their own.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Thinking that one IP automatically grants access to another is ridiculous and shows that their lawyer or whoever does their IP negotiations sucks. For example, Marvel sold the rights to spiderman to sony. How many crossovers with other Marvel liscenses/titles has spiderman had? Yet Sony couldn't make Avengers second string nor could they do Fantastic 4 without getting those rights. Showing that it is completely possible to make the different IPs seperate liscenses and still produce crossovers.

Again, how do you know what Palladium thinks? It seems that you are drawing conclusions that you can't possibly have enough evidence to support..
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

I was kinda wondering if the rule regarding no RT content in the rifter will extend to persons submiting mission sinareros for rt tatics as well as battle reports and the likes that you often see posted for the other big Mini companies.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Nightfactory wrote:
jdarr5000 wrote:I was kinda wondering if the rule regarding no RT content in the rifter will extend to persons submiting mission sinareros for rt tatics as well as battle reports and the likes that you often see posted for the other big Mini companies.

I'd be extremely surprised in PB/HG would entertain the notion of submitted scenarios for RRT for publication.

Yeah. i'm pretty sure that anything Robotech is off-limits.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Just another point, and this is speculation on my point, but when they license something, like rifts, there is likely specifics on what books can be used and a list of exceptions for each one. This is why the second fantastic four movie used galactus but couldn't actually show him (they didn't have license for his image).

So, cross over work doesn't really cause a problem, as long as it's clear enough that it could be added to the exception list.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:
jdarr5000 wrote:I was kinda wondering if the rule regarding no RT content in the rifter will extend to persons submitting mission scenarios for RT tactics as well as battle reports and the likes that you often see posted for the other big Mini companies.

I'd be extremely surprised in PB/HG would entertain the notion of submitted scenarios for RRT for publication.

Yeah. i'm pretty sure that anything Robotech is off-limits.

I am agreeing with GK because I think the "no conversions rule" also covers "no fan material for the rifters".

--------------------
Prince Artemis wrote:Just another point, and this is speculation on my point, but when they license something, like rifts, there is likely specifics on what books can be used and a list of exceptions for each one. This is why the second fantastic four movie used galactus but couldn't actually show him (they didn't have license for his image).

So, cross over work doesn't really cause a problem, as long as it's clear enough that it could be added to the exception list.

Rifts is a PB property. So it would better when talking about licensees the topic should be on Robotech (1st & 2nd eds), Macross II or TMNT. They are the licensees PB has gotten.
-------------
As to the Rifts Setting......It Is One Big Crossover of All the PB settings, in one way or another. Why? (to the ones who don't understand)...There are "RIFTS"!!!! duh.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

when i talked to kevin about the issue, he implied this came out of discussions he had with the company's lawyer. i suspect palladium was told what could happen if a liscense contract wasn't completely clear cut, so they're taking steps to insulate themselves in the event a bigger company getting a PB license tries to loophole their way into controlling extra stuff.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm having trouble following what this thread is about...

I know Robotech/TMNT were external, everything else appears native to Palladium though...

Is it something like 'if we sell the rights to a Rifts movie, we're in effect selling the rights to make any movie based on any game because of Megaversal crossover' or something? May be missing the message or issue...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

basically, if they mess up their licensing contracts, crossovers between the lines could let the holder of say, the rifts movie liscense claim Heroes Unlimited or Beyond the Supernatural and prevent the sale of those licenses to other buyers. by limiting the amount of direct crossovers between their game lines, they can minimize the chances of something like that.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MADMANMIKE

glitterboy2098 wrote:basically, if they mess up their licensing contracts, crossovers between the lines could let the holder of say, the rifts movie liscense claim Heroes Unlimited or Beyond the Supernatural and prevent the sale of those licenses to other buyers. by limiting the amount of direct crossovers between their game lines, they can minimize the chances of something like that.

Well said. Dealing with big money movie-makers has to be swimming with sharks. You have to protect yourself.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I could see a bigger problem with Wormwood or Skraypers due to dimension-book status than something like Nightbane or HU, but I guess plausibly anything.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”