Shifter can learn Temporal Magic at 10th?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malleable
Wanderer

Shifter can learn Temporal Magic at 10th?

Post by Malleable »

I read in a post that Shifters may be able to learn temporal magic at 10th level.
Where is this written?
I see a topic on the linkage to a God of Magic, and subject to GM discretion, but don't know of other references.

Thanks,
Mal
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Re: Shifter can learn Temporal Magic at 10th?

Post by Grand Paladin »

Not that I've seen in my copy of the R:UE, which is 1st Printing (2005). And you're reference is correct, per the God of Magic supernatural link, a Shifter can access lesser known forms of magic, with Temporal Magic a possibility, subject to GM discretion.

If this has been updated in a later printing of the R:UE, please do let us know.

=)
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Post by Glistam »

The Rifts: Book of Magic page 243, in the opening page introducing the Temporal Magic section, the following is written: "Only high level practitioners of magic (9th level and higher) ever get the opportunity to learn Temporal Magic (and even then, they rarely gain access to spells above 12th level)."

As far as the O.C.C. description goes, beside the note in the link to the god of magic I don't see anything like this listed in the Shifter O.C.C. descriptions in Rifts: Ultimate Edition, Rifts: Dark Conversions, or Rifts Dimension Book 7: The One with Galactus on the Cover.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Post by Svartalf »

I don't think there's actually a lelvel limit for LLW and Shifters to learn Temporal Magic, it's just that such spells are not part of those they can learn by natural advancement, and sources knowledgeable in it (temporal raiders, wizards and warriors) are so rare and protective of it.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Post by Svartalf »

The megaversal builder, call it by its name.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Post by Glistam »

Malleable wrote:I read in a post that Shifters may be able to learn temporal magic at 10th level.
Where is this written?
I see a topic on the linkage to a God of Magic, and subject to GM discretion, but don't know of other references.

Thanks,
Mal

Can you link to the post where you saw it written about Shifters learning Temporal Magic at level 10? Maybe there's some context in the conversation that we're missing which would help to better figure out where this came from.

Malleable
Wanderer

Post by Malleable »

Here is where Nekira posted it:

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/foru ... 9&t=135015

Thanks guys,
Mal
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Post by Glistam »

I did a forum search and found the last time Nekira posted that bit of information was a little over a year ago now. It was questioned by Grand Paladin and this was the closest thing to a response that Nekira decided to provide.

So in answer to the original question, that statement does not appear to be specifically mentioned anywhere in a book. But the Rifts Book of Magic and the Rifts World Book 3: England both state that only "high level" practitioners of magic (9th level and higher) ever get the opportunity to learn Temporal Magic, and rarely does this opportunity allow for spells above 12th level to be learned. Which means that Nekira wasn't wrong in saying that Shifters could begin learning Temporal Magic at 10th level... But the implications in that statement aren't correct as a 10th level Shifter doesn't just get to start selecting Temporal Magic.

Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Post by Grand Paladin »

Glistam wrote:I did a forum search and found the last time Nekira posted that bit of information was a little over a year ago now. It was questioned by Grand Paladin and this was the closest thing to a response that Nekira decided to provide.

So in answer to the original question, that statement does not appear to be specifically mentioned anywhere in a book. But the Rifts Book of Magic and the Rifts World Book 3: England both state that only "high level" practitioners of magic (9th level and higher) ever get the opportunity to learn Temporal Magic, and rarely does this opportunity allow for spells above 12th level to be learned. Which means that Nekira wasn't wrong in saying that Shifters could begin learning Temporal Magic at 10th level... But the implications in that statement aren't correct as a 10th level Shifter doesn't just get to start selecting Temporal Magic.

I did remember that thread, but couldn't remember if Nekira had provided a substantive response. Thanks for the look up Glistam!
And I also agree 100% with your interpretation above.
:ok:
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Malleable
Wanderer

Post by Malleable »

Yeah, thanks guys. I really dig Temporal magic (and Spatial magic and Phase powers). But would also interested in Shifter/Summoner.

Mal
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Post by eliakon »

The books are frustratingly unclear, and the example NPCs who know temporal magic are even more confusing. I would personally say that a mage who has gotten to 10th level can always pick up one if they can find a tutor/copy, and that those who are lower level can....if the GM permits it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Post by Glistam »

eliakon wrote:The books are frustratingly unclear, and the example NPCs who know temporal magic are even more confusing. I would personally say that a mage who has gotten to 10th level can always pick up one if they can find a tutor/copy, and that those who are lower level can....if the GM permits it.

As long as they aren't lower than 9th level. :wink:

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:
eliakon wrote:The books are frustratingly unclear, and the example NPCs who know temporal magic are even more confusing. I would personally say that a mage who has gotten to 10th level can always pick up one if they can find a tutor/copy, and that those who are lower level can....if the GM permits it.

As long as they aren't lower than 9th level. :wink:

Well we have at least one NPC who knows Temporal spells, is less than 9th level, and is not a Temporal class. This is compounded by the decision to allow one of the Temporal spells to become a common invocation in HU2, and PF2. Which could mean that Temporal magic is no different from Invocations, and the access is strictly controlled to maintain a monopoly....or it might not. Like I said its confusing.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Post by Glistam »

There are a few spells that were Temporal magic which appear in those spell lists, not just one. It does seem to be a branch of invocation magic that is just tightly contolled by those who know it - moreso than usual invocations. Also, NPC's don't always follow the rules. This is a known "issue" with Palladium.

eliakon
Palladin

Post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:There are a few spells that were Temporal magic which appear in those spell lists, not just one. It does seem to be a branch of invocation magic that is just tightly contolled by those who know it - moreso than usual invocations. Also, NPC's don't always follow the rules. This is a known "issue" with Palladium.

My personal suspicion is that its so tightly controlled BECAUSE of those 'common spells'. At one time, I imagine that only Temporal Mages had spells like Time Slip, and Dimensional Pocket....but they have slowly leaked out over the ages, and to help maintain relevance they try to control access as much as possible. But as I said, that's just a personal view there.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Post by Tor »

This 'only ... ever get the opportunity' thing is clearly something to ignore.

If only because by default, Twizards/Twarriors are also practitioners of magic and start with it at level 1. It does not say "OTHER practitioners" and is clearly disproven by these OCCs beginning with them.

Even then, there's an OCC in spirit west (Paradox Shaman) who learns far prior to 9, and Prometheans can learn it it too.

Far as I'm concerned, anyone who can buy spells can learn temporal magic at first level.

If this 9+ thing is taken to mean anything, I would say it applies only to learning the spells on your own via the free per-level.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”