BTS Archanist question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

BTS Archanist question

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The Archanist out of Beyond the Supernatural have an ability 'Read Magic'. I am wondering if the Dragon ability 'Read Magic' is the same?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Re: BTS Archanist question

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

For me, they are essentially the same.

But how it's applied in context for the Archanist vs the Dragon that would be different. The Archanist's skill would apply to only the BTS setting/dimension, with any applicable difficulty penalties a GM might assign.

The Dragon's skill, in my view would be Megaversal in scope, with little or no penalties since they are creatures of magic, and they also psychically get skills from their birth parent(s??) which I believe the 'Read Magic' skill is one of. So the Dragon's ability to 'Read Magic' will be much broader by it's own nature.

If a BTS Archanist ever made it out of the BTS dimension, as a GM I'd assign a substantial penalty for any skill attempts to read magic that did not develop on Earth, let's say in the -25% ro -40% range.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Read magic (or an automatic 'decipher magic', sounds the same) was an ability of all Witches in PRPG...

I am now officially suspicious of Arcanists.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

At the time when BTS1 was written the assumptions about magic writings were different and from what I can tell closer to what D&D had as it base assumptions. That magic writings could only be read by a select few and in a special language.

Now the skill means nada, since the text are now in whatever language the mage writing it is literate in.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”