Fantasy Plans From Kevin

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Fantasy Plans From Kevin

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Make sure you check out the recent Gateway interview with Kevin (Kickstarter Kevin is name of episode)
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/ta ... 867&cmd=tc

While I am sad to hear that there will be no release this year, I am excited about Kevin's tone and what he says about the lines future. He talks about it around the 30 minute mark.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Re: Fantasy Plans From Kevin

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

zyanitevp wrote:Make sure you check out the recent Gateway interview with Kevin (Kickstarter Kevin is name of episode)

While I am sad to hear that there will be no release this year, I am excited about Kevin's tone and what he says about the lines future. He talks about it around the 30 minute mark.

I'm sorry, you must not be familiar with Kevin's talking up the Fantasy line. There's always something great for Fantasy "just around the corner". After all, you can look in my signature about the comments regarding the Old Kingdom... Sad truth is, there's no support for Fantasy from the company. Seriously. They only care about it enough to keep the intellectual rights, and that's about it. 2009 (or was it 08?) for MoM1. And that was the last we've seen. And honestly, probably the last we WILL see, except in the RIFTER.

The abuse and neglect of the other lines is killing them off, so that the company can put out more RIFTs stuff. Maybe, in another couple of decades or so, we'll see Kevin come back around to PF the way they're trying to jumpstart robotech. Until then, I'd count it a miracle for a book a decade. Why? Because, to quote Palladium's Mantra "RIFTs pays the bills!" (of course, the others CAN'T pay the bills if they don't get published, but hey, whatever).
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

oh damn, has it been nearly 20 years on those things? We are getting old.

I always imagine Goliath to be a gnome. I don't know why.

Like David the Gnome. Hat n all.

Which is better than being a garden Gnomeo.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Marrowlight wrote:oh damn, has it been nearly 20 years on those things? We are getting old.

I always imagine Goliath to be a gnome. I don't know why.

Like David the Gnome. Hat n all.

Which is better than being a garden Gnomeo.

I'll take this point by point (as is my habit)

First- yeah, almost 20 years. And yes, sadly, we are getting old. And some days, feeling even older. I remember "It's delayed" and it doesn't seem THAT long ago... but, it is.

And no, the original Goliath was a Minotaur Diabolist. That developed a deep loathing and mistrust of gnomes. Blame the GM (I do!).

David the gnome? Seriously? You went there? If you were old enough to remember it, you're not helping your "getting old" case. Seriously. That was what, mid 80s?

And well.. anything is better than a garden Gnomeo. Well, almost anything.
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If they're putting new stuff for PF out in the Rifter, that's pretty neato. I understand the desire for a NEW BOOK, but I'll take what I can get. It isn't my company.

That being said, if they can kickstart some Robotech stuff, they may move on to PF next, who knows? Would be pretty cool.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Thats why i have so many homegrown rules, i have gotten more out of these forums in the last 5 years then i have out of the company and thats sad all things considered.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

zyanitevp wrote:Make sure you check out the recent Gateway interview with Kevin (Kickstarter Kevin is name of episode)

And this is some how different then every other time they've teased over a 'new' release that is nothing but vapor. Might care when I see it in a store, otherwise not at all.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

YEAP!!! We waited how long for the BtS book to come out and you see what happened with that. Though I do like the new characters, I didn't like the idea of the sliding scale on ISP, or the fact that it was not a "stand alone game". And it is still incomplete.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I agree with the others here. I will believe it when I see the books in front of me, and maybe not even then.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

What is really sad is that if my job was to make RPG products for Palladium Fantasy, not only could a produce a vast amount of good new gaming material. I would change the "slacker" way this company operates and fix the lack of marketing, technology and PR issues that Palladium Books seems to have.

I would have also made damn sure that the RIFTS movie didn't just set on a production companies shelve and miss the oppurtunity to come out when the technology and market called for it. We really missed the boat on that one.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Lukterran wrote:What is really sad is that if my job was to make RPG products for Palladium Fantasy, not only could a produce a vast amount of good new gaming material. I would change the "slacker" way this company operates and fix the lack of marketing, technology and PR issues that Palladium Books seems to have.

I would have also made damn sure that the RIFTS movie didn't just set on a production companies shelve and miss the oppurtunity to come out when the technology and market called for it. We really missed the boat on that one.

To be fair, it isn't so much slacker as Kevin's complete inability to let other untouched visions occur within his company. He's gotta mark each and every book with his scent, and thus all lines grind to a halt as he keeps getting older and busier in matters that have nothing to do with actual writing. Imagine the train wreck Tor, Marvel, etc. would be if every book they published had the same ultimate reviser.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I would actually like to propose a "dimension book" series for Fantasy that would detail some of the realms mentioned in Library of Bletherad (starting with Jeretlan).

Of course, I would also like to retool Wormwood to be an SDC setting, fully compatible with Fantasy rather than Rifts, but that's just me...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Marrowlight
Knight

Braden Campbell wrote:I would actually like to propose a "dimension book" series for Fantasy that would detail some of the realms mentioned in Library of Bletherad (starting with Jeretlan).

Of course, I would also like to retool Wormwood to be an SDC setting, fully compatible with Fantasy rather than Rifts, but that's just me...

Yeah I'd like it if you did all that too. :bandit:

Goliath Strongarm
Hero

I would be happy with the books we need to finish the core world.

OK mountains
OK lowlands
South winds
Phi & lopan
Updated yin sloth
Updated island at the edge
Lot Damned 3
MoM 2&3

Then maybe an actual "atlas" with the collected maps
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Marrowlight
Knight

I hope you can be happy without all that.

'cause it not.... :P

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'm going to throw my four cents into this. First I want that same list you talked about
Goliath. My disappointment with not having a 2nd edition Yin Sloth Jungle eats at me every
day I look at that book. LOD3 :x . And I'm also the guy who submitted a manuscript for
more monsters (namely just for a variety) and was thrilled to see it turn into two Rifters
instead. But that being said, I'm also a realist. Even if Palladium churned out a bunch of
fantasy book, the same number of people who buy fantasy book will no grow. Why because
there is global juggernaut company that has a strangled hold on the market. A video game
kidnapped hundreds of thousands of potential gamers and turned them into people who sit
in chairs and do nothing but play for hours and hours. Their desire to play their video game
effected how the juggernaut decided how further fantasy rpgs should be written. I have
players who can't role play, they wants to play hack and slash, try to find a way to play the
game as they do in the video game. No plot, no back story, just kill something a get a magic
weapon, even gain abilities each level that effect their combat skills.

You want to know what I real love about the the Eastern Territory book, it gives be detailed
info about the region, its people, its societies, and tells me what to expect when I visit.
That's what I love about. Several guys I play just want an adventure, to go through kill the
monsters and gained the treasure to make their characters even stronger. That's not what I
want out of a book and not what Kevin wants.

Is Kevin very tight with his creation, yes, and he has every right to be. Before he died do
you know what the requirement to write a Star Trex novel on your own where? There were
certain rules you had to follow or your book even if it was Ray Bradbury was not going to
see the light of of day. Before he sold it, Star Wars was the same way with George Lucas.

For the long time gamers out there , we know there are a number of book writtens that
apart of the Palladium Game that deviated from Kevin's vision, and they're awful books.
Most of us can name them off by memory. One of the game system is still trying to recover
from one of those god awful books and there is a freelancer who is adamant out there
about repairing the damage, and I hope to see his next people to further fix the harm that
was done. The point is Kevin doesn't want any more of those type of books. He wants a
good book, not a C+ Book, not a B-, or a B+. He wants to give it his stamp of approval to
give it the A+ quality stamp of approval. Not a good enough book so I publish just to make
fans happy so they buy a book. Why do that? If the book is not that good, why publish it. I
had a friend who was eagerly waiting for this book from Shadowrun, paid a hefty price for
the book, and it comply lacks anything useful for him. That the cardinal mistake as a writer.
Failing to connect with your reader, a gamer, and a GM.

Rifts pays the bills. It sells the most and IT ALWAYS WILL. Fantasy gamers no matter how
good any future books are will never sell the way the did 20-30 years ago. Robotech is a
global love with a massive fan base. Look how much money was raised! Could PFRPG do
that. I'm not sure. But money isn't the problem its getting freelancers to love PFRPG as
much as they do creating Rifts works. You write or draw material that show Kevin passion
and that book will see the light of day. Until PFRPG has that person, Kevin has the right to
take as much time as he wants until he's ready to work on a book of his choosing.
Marrowlight
Knight

Well, that was a lovely rant :p

And honestly, I'd be curious to see your roll call of "awful books" because, quite frankly, I doubt I'm going to agree with you. If you're going to go all ranty at least back it up with some solid names. Don't hide in the shadows with it. :D

And duh, of course Kevin has every right to dilly dally with his books, working towards their Perfect Form. No one is disputing that. But he can't do it all - not at speed. The output of the last decade is proof of that. And sadly, no one in his real life seems able to convince him of this - so until something or someone does, we all get to watch the company die off bit by bit by bit, until something changes.
Last edited by Marrowlight on Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

As others have said, i wouldnt hold your breath, inless they have made 10 books that are all but done then maybe but it dont see it being the case
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Reagren Wright wrote:Before he sold it, Star Wars was the same way with George Lucas.

Yeah, we all know how high quality George Lucas had with his three total control movies. You do realize he had almost nothing to do with Empire, and is credited for doing more harm then good with Jedi right?

Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

I know I'm in the minority but my wish is for all the books released after Yin-Sloth to be redone and released under the 1st ed rules.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Lord Malachdrim wrote:I know I'm in the minority but my wish is for all the books released after Yin-Sloth to be redone and released under the 1st ed rules.

I agree, second ed for me was 3 steps forward and 3.5 back.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

I feel compelled to speak on a little of what I feel may help Palladium Fantasy publications.

As a Freelance Artist who has begun to learn a great deal more about the behind-the-scenes of game development, game balancing, creating-expanding IP from concept to finish, fan base satisfaction for both new/old and considering the business side of things before, during and afterwards, there is a great deal that is easier to assume on the outside looking in. Trust me I was one of PB's biggest critics on why and how I felt PB should be doing more PDFs, the ease of color art without concerns of printing cost, etc. Man, was I off on a lot of assumed margins, time investments, legal cost and expectations. This is also not to mention that just because I or my circle felt I was submitting the best ideas for a setting doesn't equate to them being as such.

What I have found however, is that if you get the correct energy behind the IP, that eventually the polishing begins to shine. Quality producers surface when there is something worthy to chomp at. As mentioned before, this may result from getting the right Freelancer(s) behind the PF demand and coming up with something epic that can't be ignored. Sure there is a Palladium Fantasy demand, but how big is it and how does it equate to sales support and expansion? What we may see on the forums is not the full story I am afraid and its the overall numbers (the ones that can't be disclosed) that often dictate the fate of IP developments. I know for a fact that Palladium Fantasy is a major gem to Kevin, and therefore as being one of his BIG baby's that he wants to do in a quality fashion and flare, whenever it is to be done. Maybe he has to be the one to write it or maybe he is looking for that special someone to take the helm and lead the charge, who knows?

Unfortunately time does go by and this seems to wane further and further. Trust me as a major fan of the Splicers setting where we have only had one official sourcebook since 2004, I sympathize and understand your frustrations and concerns. However, since that point many of the Splicers fanbase has taken it upon ourselves to demonstrate that not only do we want this product line to thrive, we are willing to do what we can to see that it does. There is a boatload of quality homebrew on the forums in Splicers, but that was not enough. We began submitting a ton of material to Rifters and recently as manuscripts for new sourcebooks in order to get fresh material to the public and to the company to demonstrate demand and support. Freelancers interested in the setting have begun to forge products and submitted "quality" manuscripts to expand on the setting.

Please note that in the case of an IP like Palladium Fantasy, it might be easier to expound and develop items that are not key or crucial factors in the PB Fantasy setting to get some fresh product published sooner. Smaller shorter books (68-96 pgs.) are easier to comb through, tweak/balance, develop and edit as well. Note such shorter expansion books are also far less likely to cause any irreversible damages to core setting foundations. Once that is done and your teeth have proven their mettle then it may be entrusted or easier to get to work on the more crucial core items. I have witnessed and heard fans and freelancers alike, discuss with Kevin or other Freelancers, what they were working on or seeking to write, but the scripts don't surface or they are very much a deviant from what was first mentioned. This makes it very difficult for Kevin to work with such submissions when it is foundation material that has been altered to the manner of which the Writer sees fit, but not the overall fan base nor aligns with PB's agenda for that gameline's story arc (if one is in place). I can’t help but to think how popular R.A.Salvatore made a certain darkskinned race that was hardly a flagship race until his novels hit the shelves. Now that same race is waved like a banner for a certain respectable company and its sales volumes that have increased accordingly. Salvatore brung a major wow factor to an item that wasn’t core AD& D material and look what he did with it. This is what I suggest PB Fantasy also have applied to get more support and product out for the gameline. Yeah Wolfen are a huge draw I get that, but they are also a core foundation that will warrant Kevin’s undivided attention and scrutiny when they are mentioned an how they are used in any material that has been submitted for official publication.

I would also suggest a more positive support for those who do get Fantasy material published. It doesn’t help to tear down those Writers who submit Palladium Fantasy material, especially Writers who have gotten material published in Rifters. Maybe you like their work, maybe you don’t or maybe you disagree with how they utilized an idea, the key is to maturely convey positive or constructive critics to help (hopefully) make such suppliers of Fantasy material better stronger Writers so that the future quality of their submissions is improved. Unfortunately, by demeaning or attacking the material it only takes away or discourages Fantasy submissions and supporters.

I would sincerely suggest Fantasy Gamers size up the potential that is availed from such a lush fan base on these threads and begin strategically submitting quality material more consistently and asking PB every opportunity you get about the gameline. This indicates demand which will likely get positive results much easier versus complaining about the gameline because it lacks product.

I would love to develop material for Palladium Fantasy, but with everything that I am committed to with Splicers and my lack of in-depth knowledge on the previous Palladium Fantasy material, I would likely do more harm than good in honest attempts of wowing the devoted fan base. I could easily envision me writing about a very Dark magical Ice Age that begins to lay siege upon the kingdoms and the dire affects it causes. I easily see a cursed tribe of lycanthropic Dwarves who are sort of Were-Badgers being unfrozen from the deep ice caverns and their imprisoned demonlords have awakened and have demanded the cursed tribe to rebuild their predator city and beast armors. Elves that were enslaved being augmented and grafted with crude rune symbiotic armors to hunt with packs of venomous, infectious Wendigos (that negate and are impervious to magic) across the tundras, fighting armored Wolfen and stealing dragon eggs to begin the age of Dragon Wars… let me just stop… see what I mean..
zyanitevp
Champion

Premier wrote: I easily see a cursed tribe of lycanthropic Dwarves who are sort of Were-Badgers being unfrozen from the deep ice caverns and their imprisoned demonlords have awakened and have demanded the cursed tribe to rebuild their predator city and beast armors.… see what I mean..

I really would love to see that!
Thanks very much for your input Premier!
I know for a fact that there are a number of quality manuscripts that are Fantasy that are sitting there, waiting to get the Kevin treatment.
I had never played Fantasy for more than a convention game before I started my current game 2 years ago- and I will tell you, playing a long-running game (and Gm for me) has changed a lot of minds about how awesome it is. We do need to do more to promote it. The reaction to PF versus BTS was more positive than negative, (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132170) but I do admit the Splicers support has been nothing short of amazing!
My Twitter
Image Image
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

zyanitevp wrote:
Premier wrote:I easily see a cursed tribe of lycanthropic Dwarves who are sort of Were-Badgers being unfrozen from the deep ice caverns and their imprisoned demonlords have awakened and have demanded the cursed tribe to rebuild their predator city and beast armors. Elves that were enslaved being augmented and grafted with crude rune symbiotic armors to hunt with packs of venomous, infectious Wendigos (that negate and are impervious to magic) across the tundras, fighting armored Wolfen and stealing dragon eggs to begin the age of Dragon Wars… let me just stop… see what I mean..

I really would love to see that!

:lol: :eek: I highly doubt your Players would share that same enthusiasm. Then again I respectfully have no idea what they have survived during your campaigns already. I do think however that I would cause more chaos then good to the setting with what little I know about the setting.

Thanks very much for your input Premier!
I know for a fact that there are a number of quality manuscripts that are Fantasy that are sitting there, waiting to get the Kevin treatment.

No problem, I am glad to try and help if I can.
Oh I am sure quality Fantasy scripts have been submitted numerous times, however, what do they touch on and how influential are they to the setting? The more influential they could be for the setting and game balance, the more scrutiny they will receive for preserving game balance. When were they first submitted and do they need refreshing in Kevin's ear? What was his or PB's honest assessment of them? How much of Kevin (time, editing, tweaking game balance issues if any, new inserts or innovations if any, etc.) will they require in his treatment? These are things that we all have to consider when we submit scripts for sourcebook publications and I hope that we can stir some Fantasy energy up to get this game line back in the saddle. I truly believe that if done correctly, that Palladium Fantasy can rise and take advantage of the window of the popularity that the fantasy genre has seen a surge in. The key is that it also must stand out from the other major competitors and connect with the old, current and new Fantasy gamers who are possibly hooked or have been first introduced to other fantasy game lines.

I had never played Fantasy for more than a convention game before I started my current game 2 years ago- and I will tell you, playing a long-running game (and Gm for me) has changed a lot of minds about how awesome it is. We do need to do more to promote it. The reaction to PF versus BTS was more positive than negative, (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132170) but I do admit the Splicers support has been nothing short of amazing!

And that is a "great" testimony and what Palladium Fantasy needs more of. There needs to be more quality Games and GMs at cons and hobby stores to help expose gamers to the setting. What do you think really made you dive in and what are you doing that has made it so profound and awesome of an experience?

As to us Spliceheads, Thanks! Though we have an unfair advantage over other Gamers in other gamelines, We Spliceheads can't help it, we have been infected and its now in our DNA :wink:
zyanitevp
Champion

Premier wrote:And that is a "great" testimony and what Palladium Fantasy needs more of. There needs to be more quality Games and GMs at cons and hobby stores to help expose gamers to the setting. What do you think really made you dive in and what are you doing that has made it so profound and awesome of an experience?

A single word- Settings. There are no better fantasy settings than Palladium! I have had 14 different people through the 26 months of A God...Rebuilt, and each one has said that the setting, the world, was one of the best things about the game.
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Premier- I sent you a PM to purchase some cover art for a PFRPG submission I entered in an attempt to enthuse Kevin to reading it. I got no reply :-(

There needs to be something big to explode on to the PFRPG scene and from that momentum the other books may actually be money makers. PFRPG UE (not that I want this) or even LotD 3 I think could do that.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

How about joing forces with a good game developer company (software) and bringing PFRPG lore and world into the digital age. You want something to get excited about how about Palladium Fantasy for the PS4 or Xbox 720 system. Also no BS fly-by-night sillines like the DS screw up. Talk to people that play video games. They know which developers are good.

Something like a Dragon Age or Skyrim. Even if Palladium didn't get a huge share of the profits, still getting your name and face out there with the youth and mass market would be good for the core rpg. Plus Palladium has always been an unbalanced system as far as rules go. I would think Kevin working with someone software developers would be good to help possibly integrate and understand game balance better. How about 3rd edition PF and updated megaverse system.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Premier wrote: I could easily envision me writing about a very Dark magical Ice Age that begins to lay siege upon the kingdoms and the dire affects it causes. I easily see a cursed tribe of lycanthropic Dwarves who are sort of Were-Badgers being unfrozen from the deep ice caverns and their imprisoned demonlords have awakened and have demanded the cursed tribe to rebuild their predator city and beast armors. Elves that were enslaved being augmented and grafted with crude rune symbiotic armors to hunt with packs of venomous, infectious Wendigos (that negate and are impervious to magic) across the tundras, fighting armored Wolfen and stealing dragon eggs to begin the age of Dragon Wars… let me just stop… see what I mean..

While that can't really fit in Fantasy as is (just due to time lines and that) as a world scale, that's actually an idea you could run with for a corner of the world. It's very different and cool, and would make a sweet one off time line for like, after the destruction of Baalgor, I for one would like to see that idea done. Lycantropic dwarves alone is a new idea you don't see often.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

zyanitevp wrote:
Premier wrote:And that is a "great" testimony and what Palladium Fantasy needs more of. There needs to be more quality Games and GMs at cons and hobby stores to help expose gamers to the setting. What do you think really made you dive in and what are you doing that has made it so profound and awesome of an experience?

A single word- Settings. There are no better fantasy settings than Palladium! I have had 14 different people through the 26 months of A God...Rebuilt, and each one has said that the setting, the world, was one of the best things about the game.

Hmm.... Very impressive factor to be proud of and it is very intriguing to hear. It makes me far... more curious as to what is so profound and different in these settings than from other fantasy based IPs? 14 Gamers speaking so well on the same aspect is something that draws me in. This is why it is so... crucial and important for me to emphasize that if the settings are of such inspiring and captivating caliber than who ever takes up the mantle to continue to write additional material for Palladium Fantasy should be at least of equivalent caliber (I say that respectfully for anyone) and also they should respect the setting to best support the Fantasy setting.

So with that being said, what Writers or Scribes in the fold (Freelancer, unpublished, etc.) do you all think have written material for Palladium Fantasy or have submitted Fantasy scripts of such caliber?
I know there are major topics that are desired to be covered in upcoming publications, but what of the smaller topics. Are there any side line topics that could be done to generate Fantasy energy and momentum?
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Dark Elf wrote:Premier- I sent you a PM to purchase some cover art for a PFRPG submission I entered in an attempt to enthuse Kevin to reading it. I got no reply :-(

Dark Elf, I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response. I have been extremely busy trying to knock out the ton of NG artwork so that they get released ASAP, as I am sure you can understand. With that going on, and then with the PB office being so busy with the RPG tactics as well as Vampires & NG its been actually a been very hectic for me and my scheduling of any new commission work, let alone I still owe a few pre-paid commissions, which I am cranking on in between NG).

None-the-less, I recently was able to get a free minded moment with Kevin (very rare nowadays) and I asked him about doing such work, because I would not want to have you commission me for work that PB would "also" normally pay me for "if it is selected" by Palladiumbooks, unless it was solely for you to own the original work(s) as part of the compensation. Kevin was glad that I asked him about this first before doing the commission. This is because there is NO guarantee at all that a painted cover by me would garner any attention or usage by PB and that you could be chancing being out of hundreds of dollars, simply in attempts to getting the submission reviewed. It was also conveyed that having such covers done before approved compositions can be a MAJOR issue as PB may want to request changes in the pre-production stage before the art is finalized. I was able to do this with Kevin at the Creator's Conference before I painted the Splicers cover and it saved me some valuable time and gave me proper direction on the layout. This also is at a VERY busy time, and it may still not occur until the plate is cleared off some. That is why I began recently to peek into the Fantasy threads, actually afterwards to see what could be implemented to get things "strategically" rolling. As we discuss and talk things out on this thread however, I think I am coming up with a few possible ideas that "might" help get Palladium Fantasy jump-started. :D

As to the painted cover commission, "if" your still deciding for me to do one, I will discuss it with you in detail via PM/emails. However, I don't want to take advantage of you kindness or supportive drive by having you pay for me to do a painted cover with your intent in mind that actually may not be fulfilled. This is also not to mention that PB may decide to have some other Artist paint a cover for your script submission if they decide to publish it. This would leave your paid commission request as a collected art piece, but not a published art for what you intended. If your submission was to be used, then it would be Palladiumbook's pockets that would cover the cost & legalities of the cover and its usage. See Palladiumbboks likes to own the publishing rights to all of the art that it is publishing on its covers and "if" not, then legal documents are drawn up to avoid future legal issues.

I hope this helps and I do apologize for the delay :(

There needs to be something big to explode on to the PFRPG scene and from that momentum the other books may actually be money makers. PFRPG UE (not that I want this) or even LotD 3 I think could do that

I hear what your saying, however, IMHO, trying to jump right into the pool and making big waves & splashes with someone else's pool & pool toys is not going to be easy. Palladium Fantasy is a close to the heart IP to Kevin and any revisions or updated version of it will garner a great deal of his attention, focus and time, which we know at this moment he doesn't easily have availed. To generate this freed up time and energy PF needs to show PB that it warrants more time and energy. Until that happens, Rifts will likely always be the big dollar mainstay. This is why I am doing what I can with various other books and promotions to generate that momentum and drive for the Splicers setting and I think Fantasy needs the same. Smaller "quality" books on Fantasy to generate more Gamer interest and awareness will also generate more sales volume of the game line and thus warrant PB's attention and support for more higher end product. higher end product warrants more focus, more time, more pages, all of which we want.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Lukterran wrote:How about joing forces with a good game developer company (software) and bringing PFRPG lore and world into the digital age. You want something to get excited about how about Palladium Fantasy for the PS4 or Xbox 720 system. Also no BS fly-by-night sillines like the DS screw up. Talk to people that play video games. They know which developers are good.

Something like a Dragon Age or Skyrim. Even if Palladium didn't get a huge share of the profits, still getting your name and face out there with the youth and mass market would be good for the core rpg. Plus Palladium has always been an unbalanced system as far as rules go. I would think Kevin working with someone software developers would be good to help possibly integrate and understand game balance better. How about 3rd edition PF and updated megaverse system.

Hey Lukterran, I think there is a MAJOR misrepresentation or misconception that digital age breakthroughs are things that Palladiumbooks doesn't want or desire and nothing can be far from the truth. Its one of the reasons why PB jumped into the mini wargamer market with Robotech to expand its resources to do more for its agenda. There is a GREAT deal that goes into getting an IP sold and or developed into a quality video game, especially for consoles and PC usage. Most major game development companies wont even pay for IPs if that IP isn't making a buzz. Then there are game developers that won't work on IPs that they haven't created in house. A game like Dragon Age and Skyrim are multi-million dollar budget games that require years to develop. Such productions don't like to purchase IPs for the gamble, they want as much possible insurance and or ownership as possible. IF a game developer is going to invest millions into the highly competitive market, and its opting to try and introduce another fantasy based game,then that game or IP better be HOT and innovative to stand out to warrant millions in time and valuable resources. Palladium Fantasy needs the right buzz or opportunity to warrant that

As to this whole game balance argument, I really don't want to get drawn into a worn debate about the issue, but my stance is simple. Life is not fair nor is it balanced. PB games reflect some aspects of this, but with so many options instituted, so many variables between technology and magic if your experiencing a great deal of improper game balance, then it could possibly be more so because of how the GM is conducting a game versus actual rules instituting balance preservation or the lack there-of.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Cinos wrote:
Premier wrote: I could easily envision me writing about a very Dark magical Ice Age that begins to lay siege upon the kingdoms and the dire affects it causes. I easily see a cursed tribe of lycanthropic Dwarves who are sort of Were-Badgers being unfrozen from the deep ice caverns and their imprisoned demonlords have awakened and have demanded the cursed tribe to rebuild their predator city and beast armors. Elves that were enslaved being augmented and grafted with crude rune symbiotic armors to hunt with packs of venomous, infectious Wendigos (that negate and are impervious to magic) across the tundras, fighting armored Wolfen and stealing dragon eggs to begin the age of Dragon Wars… let me just stop… see what I mean..

While that can't really fit in Fantasy as is (just due to time lines and that) as a world scale, that's actually an idea you could run with for a corner of the world. It's very different and cool, and would make a sweet one off time line for like, after the destruction of Baalgor, I for one would like to see that idea done. Lycantropic dwarves alone is a new idea you don't see often.

Thank You Cinos!
Your encouraging post is exactly why I need to have either more time to submerge myself into the history and publications Palladium of Fantasy & or align withe right Writer(s) to forge a book or series that can help energize the Gameline. I would love to see what We could with an arctic region & or corner of the Fantasy setting, but would the core Fantasy gamers dislike the issue that the new material wasn't what they have long awaited for, or would they be thrilled to see new Fantasy material period?

As to the lycanthropic Dwarves,thanks, I had written up something about them years ago and would love to work with some one to see how they could be best utilized in a corner of the word setting. maybe a series of Rifter articles on the events that are to unfold. If the buzz is hot enough, then maybe a book thereafter?
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Our Group The Steel City Rifters recently played a Palladium Fantasy adventure which I was privileged to GM

It's really exciting to hear that new products will be forthcoming

I truly believe the palladium fantasy system is just F'ing amazing and the best fantasy based game available

Really excited to see the new products and I also would love to see a new chaos lands book
~ Love Conquers All ~
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Premier wrote:I know there are major topics that are desired to be covered in upcoming publications, but what of the smaller topics. Are there any side line topics that could be done to generate Fantasy energy and momentum?

Greetings and Salutations. Yes, there are lots of side, smaller topics that could generate some interest. This is one of the reasons I have my website (included in my sig below), though my attentions have been on other things as of late (such as working on a few books). I have quite a few ideas to this (side topics) actually, but I put them on hold for my current project:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137624

While I like some of those side projects (which I think will be a lot of fun and something fans should love), the above project just took priority (a medium to large-sized topic instead of a side one, and one I think can contain something for everyone). Of course, that project also got put on hold (I moved to a new state less than 2 months ago, and still trying to get a job and stabilized ... that's top priority right now).

Note: Situation is actually starting to stress me out (not that I'd admit it to my girflriend), and stress isn't the most conducive to writing. Thought I finally had a job set up and things would start working out, but that just got taken out from underneath me today (Friday I was told I had it, today no one knows what I'm talking about! GAH!!!). Sorry, side rant. Just needed to vent. :D

Premier wrote:I would love to see what We could with an arctic region & or corner of the Fantasy setting, but would the core Fantasy gamers dislike the issue that the new material wasn't what they have long awaited for, or would they be thrilled to see new Fantasy material period?

Probably both. I'm sure there will be some complaint that the arctic books aren't necessary, and we still have holes in the world (such as Old Kingdom and Land of the Damned 3 as two of the big names). However, overall the PF fans I think will just be happy to see ANYTHING for our setting of choice (even most of those who aren't happy it's not a big topic book will be happy they have SOMETHING new). So while there would be some disappointment, I think it'll be better received than not. That's just my opinion, but I've been watching these boards for a while and try to understand what the fans here want (I think an important key in writing). Kind of like a teenager who gets a car for his/her birthday, but not the model or even the color desired. Sure, disappointed, but dude, still a car!

The Dark Elf wrote:Premier- I sent you a PM to purchase some cover art for a PFRPG submission I entered in an attempt to enthuse Kevin to reading it. I got no reply :-(

:lol: I once did the same (also got no reply).

Premier, I didn't care if Palladium did use the art or not, I just wanted to use it to help them take notice. More to help with the "wow" factor. With that said ... I have since lost interest. Only in part because of the change in my financial situation. The other half is knowing The Dark Elf had the same idea. I hate not being original. :erm: Instead of thinking it's a cool idea, now I just feel ashamed. :P

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Premier wrote:Thank You Cinos!
Your encouraging post is exactly why I need to have either more time to submerge myself into the history and publications Palladium of Fantasy & or align withe right Writer(s) to forge a book or series that can help energize the Gameline. I would love to see what We could with an arctic region & or corner of the Fantasy setting, but would the core Fantasy gamers dislike the issue that the new material wasn't what they have long awaited for, or would they be thrilled to see new Fantasy material period?

As to the lycanthropic Dwarves,thanks, I had written up something about them years ago and would love to work with some one to see how they could be best utilized in a corner of the word setting. maybe a series of Rifter articles on the events that are to unfold. If the buzz is hot enough, then maybe a book thereafter?

It's an original idea in fantasy, which is rarer then I'd like. Sure some times you'll get something weird that comes out the works, but some times you get something good, this is a line of thought that should lead to something good. If you want to bounce ideas, feel free to PM me. I'd like to see more dwarf were-badgers and weird elf mage hunter things.

zyanitevp
Champion

Premier wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

Hmm.... Very impressive factor to be proud of and it is very intriguing to hear. It makes me far... more curious as to what is so profound and different in these settings than from other fantasy based IPs? 14 Gamers speaking so well on the same aspect is something that draws me in. This is why it is so... crucial and important for me to emphasize that if the settings are of such inspiring and captivating caliber than who ever takes up the mantle to continue to write additional material for Palladium Fantasy should be at least of equivalent caliber (I say that respectfully for anyone) and also they should respect the setting to best support the Fantasy setting.

So with that being said, what Writers or Scribes in the fold (Freelancer, unpublished, etc.) do you all think have written material for Palladium Fantasy or have submitted Fantasy scripts of such caliber?
I know there are major topics that are desired to be covered in upcoming publications, but what of the smaller topics. Are there any side line topics that could be done to generate Fantasy energy and momentum?

Carl Gleba as far as established.
Dark Elf and Prysus both as far as less established- but I have read all that I have seen of theirs, as well as stuff that has been sent privately.
The major topics (Old Kingdom, Yin Sloth 2nd Ed, Land of South Winds) are all well established- but I bought MOM as a Rifts supplement, and would love to see 2 and 3 done!
Smaller books could deal with Lopan (Dark Elf has one), Phi, and the Isle of Cyclops- and man, would I love to see what you would do with the Isle of Cyclops!!!
I have always felt we needed a great Palladium map, so I commissioned one for my game- would love your feedback Chuck http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/668/ ... upload.jpg
Yes, I have also submitted it to Palladium.

On a separate note, I am using some of Lemuria in my Fantasy game- so yes, it can easily be adapted to the SDC world....
My Twitter
Image Image
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

zyanitevp wrote:
Premier wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

Dark Elf and Prysus both as far as less established- but I have read all that I have seen of theirs, as well as stuff that has been sent privately.
The major topics (Old Kingdom, Yin Sloth 2nd Ed, Land of South Winds) are all well established- but I bought MOM as a Rifts supplement, and would love to see 2 and 3 done!
Smaller books could deal with Lopan (Dark Elf has one), Phi, and the Isle of Cyclops- and man, would I love to see what you would do with the Isle of Cyclops!!!
I have always felt we needed a great Palladium map, so I commissioned one for my game- would love your feedback Chuck http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/668/ ... upload.jpg

On a separate note, I am using some of Lemuria in my Fantasy game- so yes, it can easily be adapted to the SDC world....

dude your map is amazing, I think it's so awesome that you designed that yourself

it is so cool to see if somebody who is so Passionate about the palladium fantasy game,

Rock on
~ Love Conquers All ~
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

zyanitevp wrote:

Regarding the map:

Good:
+Incredible overall quality. Hands-down, it's the best-looking Palladium Fantasy map I've ever seen.
+The texture of the 3-D rendering is eye-catching
+the dark sea shading give the right sense of mystery for what lies beyond
+Labels for territories and waters are clear, but unobtrusive.
+Baalgor Wastelands are perfectly colored/rendered.
+The Great Rift looks fantastic! Only blemish is where it intersects with the Sea of Dread. Consider ending it a bit before, or have the sea flood a short way into it

Areas for improvement: The large size and high quality of the render invites nit picks, so I have quite a few:

-There aren't any borders.

-Re-look the Floenry Isles in detail. The shapes and placement of islands does not match the original world map or the detail map from page 151 of High Seas 2ed. In particular, Enry is missing its big bay, The Finger is missing, West Mnn is the wrong shape and too small, The Rock is missing, Grimbor Island is too wide north/south and doesn't have the right shape, Lyrd is too big and fused with South Bay, South Bay is too chubby and rounded, East Mnn is missing, and Dragon's Roost doesn't have the rough parallelogram shape from the books.

-Consider using the map from page 90 of High Seas 2ed for Byzantium. There are issues with the smaller island shapes, one of them features mountains, and you're missing one. Also, the main island has three small lakes and a couple of rivers that are missing.

-Although the snow of the north is well-rendered, some regions look too much alike. The Great Northern Wilderness should blend a deeper evergreen tree color with the snowy parts. Ophid's grasslands should look flatter and more yellowish, like the great plains. Phi should look a bit misty, since it's always covered in mist. The Western Empire should show some signs of civilization. Also, consider softening the contouring or changing the textures in areas of heavy vegetation like the Yin-Sloth and Great Northern Wilderness. Big trees tend to mask subtle terrain features.

-It looks The Sea of Despair (which is spelled 'Despare' in the original map) has a string of tiny islands to the north, including Lemaria. These are missing.

-In many areas, the coasts seem a bit too rounded and not jagged enough. This seems especially true for islands and at river mouths. Many rivers seem to simply end when they intersect with the sea, rather than spreading out gradually like the Chesapeake Bay, or forming a pronounced delta like the Nile.

-Consider adjusting the font size for labels. You use one size for everything on land; this makes Phi's label take up most of Phi, and Mounts Nimro and Nimrod seem a bit too small for their labels. Nothern Wilderness, by contrast, dwarfs its label,

-With the high definition of the map, there's an opportunity for more detail. Consider adding the following: Dragon's Gate, Dragon Claw, major/capitol cities, labels for mountain ranges, Devil's Mark, and other key spots.

-Consider sharpening the contrast for the barrier mountains next to the Land of the Damned. Their importance and size seems understated.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

zyanitevp wrote:Carl Gleba as far as established.

I appreciate that people are writing material, but Kevin has had a habit of sitting on all but finished manuscripts in the past and not releasing them. The Atorian Empire book for Aliens Unlimited/Heroes Unlimited is one such example. The only time he seems motivated to release a book for PFRPG is if the book can be used with other game settings, such as Mysteries of Magic.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Marrowlight
Knight

Part 1 of 3.

8-)

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Panomas wrote:Agree-

That map is to die for!

Or to kill for ... um ... I mean ... zyanitevp, I just wanted to talk to you in private a moment. What? Why is my hand behind my back? I'm not holding a dagger if that's what you're thinking! How dare you accuss me of something like that! *Drops the dagger and runs off!*

Errr ... I mean, nice job. Oh, and Greetings and Salutations. Farewell and safe journeys too. Have a great day everyone.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

zyanitevp wrote:I have always felt we needed a great Palladium map, so I commissioned one for my game- would love your feedback Chuck http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/668/ ... upload.jpg

I know you called out someone specific for their feedback, but I can't help myself, that thing is a beut, also stolen into my files forever. I've been hounding for a high quality fantasy map forever, to the point I started looking into ways to make my own.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Marrowlight wrote:Part 1 of 3.

8-)

dude, you just did it again :lol: :lol:
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

zyanitevp wrote:
Premier wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

That is the best Map I have EVAH!!!!!! seen for ANY tabletop RPG that I have enjoyed! Takes cap off and bows head in true acknowledgement and respect of your skills. Man, we need to form Voltron and produce something epic after seeing that whew!!!
I am certainly poised to dive into Palladium fantasy more and more now. You Guys/Gals are great supporters, very.......patient and you are contributing. Once I get the NG work done, I will be hungry to hone my teeth into some thing fantasy, though I do have a Rifters Fantasy cover to do as well, so hmm..... I will be race to check out the Isle of Cyclops after your suggestion. You have seriously raised my eyebrow with mass intrigue. :D
zyanitevp
Champion

SmilingJack wrote:dude your map is amazing, I think it's so awesome that you designed that yourself

it is so cool to see if somebody who is so Passionate about the palladium fantasy game,

Rock on

I cannot take credit for the map- I had it made for me by a talented cartographer, and paid him a commission- glad you like it!
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

Premier wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:
Premier wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

That is the best Map I have EVAH!!!!!! seen for ANY tabletop RPG that I have enjoyed! Takes cap off and bows head in true acknowledgement and respect of your skills. Man, we need to form Voltron and produce something epic after seeing that whew!!!
I am certainly poised to dive into Palladium fantasy more and more now. You Guys/Gals are great supporters, very.......patient and you are contributing. Once I get the NG work done, I will be hungry to hone my teeth into some thing fantasy, though I do have a Rifters Fantasy cover to do as well, so hmm..... I will be race to check out the Isle of Cyclops after your suggestion. You have seriously raised my eyebrow with mass intrigue. :D

Really looking forward to your fantasy cover! Please pass on your thoughts on the map to Wayne and Kevin- Wayne has it in his inbox, and I did talk to him about it!
Thank you for your interest! We may not shout as loud as the Spliceheads, but we are passionate about our love for Palladium Fantasy!
My Twitter
Image Image
Marrowlight
Knight

Premier wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Part 1 of 3.

8-)

dude, you just did it again :lol: :lol:

:ok:

Yeah, work allowed for some ideal timing yesterday. It's almost like school gets out today across the state and it's a holiday weekend so no one wants to do anything.

Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Not exactly true, Dice-of-Doom. Palladium HAD great production value and quality back when they were at the top, it's just that they totally fell behind the other successful companies in the marketplace and haven't been able to adapt.

As for caring for their fanbase, unlike those big, bad, unfeeling 'other' companies. Really? Do you know the difference between those companies and Palladium? Those companies release products.
zyanitevp
Champion

Eashamahel wrote:Not exactly true, Dice-of-Doom. Palladium HAD great production value and quality back when they were at the top, it's just that they totally fell behind the other successful companies in the marketplace and haven't been able to adapt.

As for caring for their fanbase, unlike those big, bad, unfeeling 'other' companies. Really? Do you know the difference between those companies and Palladium? Those companies release products.

Wow, a bit biased myself, so I won't give you my long, full of feeling response, but, if you really feel that way, why are you even here?
My Twitter
Image Image
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

zyanitevp wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:Not exactly true, Dice-of-Doom. Palladium HAD great production value and quality back when they were at the top, it's just that they totally fell behind the other successful companies in the marketplace and haven't been able to adapt.

Wow, a bit biased myself, so I won't give you my long, full of feeling response, but, if you really feel that way, why are you even here?

Easha was stating something that a lot (not all) of us feel, to a degree.

If you're not a RIFTs player, but a fan of one of the other settings, it's a fact- we're ignored. Look at releases, look at "coming" books (but only the ones that actually have a shot at being published). If you're not a RIFTs person, expect a book every few years. Maybe. If you're lucky. We're at what, a couple of months from 4 years for a PF book? Mysteries of Magic was the last one. And that was supposed to be 1 of 3. Where's #2? And what about the last one before that? It's been over a decade since LoD2, and we still don't have 3 (and you can't blame the author). How are PF fans supposed to feel? How are we SUPPOSED to think that the company feels about us? How about BtS fans? How long do THEY wait between books?

People like Easha, and some of the rest of us, are here because we ARE fans. PF is my FAVORITE fantasy setting. Period. Always has been, probably always will be. Are there flaws in the system? Absolutely- just as with ANY system.

But Easha was spot on, that the companies that get called "unfeeling" do release material. And if they have multiple games and/or settings, they keep releases flowing for ALL of them, or with material that can be used (easily) in multiple ones. Why? Because that way, if I'm a fan of ONE, I can still get material. I won't buy product I won't use. Especially in an economy like our current one. That's why I don't have a buttload of RIFTs books (although, honestly, I do have more than I'd use, because of gifts and used ones found cheap). But, without PF books, why would palladium get my money? I could go spend that money and get material for the games that are #2 and 3 on my list.

As for the quality of their material- Here I think Easha was being harsh. Palladium DOES put out decent material, especially since they are usually cheaper in price than other companies. I give it about a 6.5/10. Now, since I can only speak of the PF books with any decent authority on this, here's why: Editing has gotten sloppy. Books brought over from 1st ed updated to 2nd had HORRIBLE editing. Very VERY little was actually corrected, and most updates simply added SDC and PPE to NPCs and spells. Various words throughout several books are like half-bolded (and sometimes off set), where it looks like they were whited out and typed back in, with a heavier ink (look at the intro story in Nimro. Or all through the main book. And many, many others). And how many of us have had a pile of the glossy film from the covers? The biggest redeeming aspect is the QUALITY OF THE CONTENT.

But, if there's nothing for a fan of a setting, they don't even get that.
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”