Rifts New Navy Manuscript sent in!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Rifts New Navy Manuscript sent in!

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

So I finally finished off the manuscript for Rifts New Navy and just sent it off to Kevin.

You can officially start hounding him to get the book published now!

Heck point out it would go really well with the Pacific Rim movie that's slated for release in July 2013 (and everyone on the boards is cheering about). :eek:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming :D
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

Greg Diaczyk

Re: Rifts New Navy Manuscript sent in!

I might be able to toss out a couple of spoilers, what would you like to know...? ;)
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

more than you'd actualy give us, so lets go with..

what kinds of new ships and gear?
are the locations of the new Navy's secret cities detailed?
does it explain how the New Navy's society/government works?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Greg Diaczyk

Let me preface this with any or all of this could change at the whim of the Editor… but assuming nothing changes… :D

glitterboy2098 wrote
what kinds of new ships and gear?

A whole bunch of New Navy ships, a bunch of independents from the Pacific Rim and custom ship creation rules.

Sonic weapons and a few other undersea weapons
New Power Armor (New Navy and AquaTech)
New Cyborg Chassis (undersea mining)
New Bio-System/Cybernetics
New and stated out old D-Bees (Kizh and Octurill where mention in Splynn Dimensional Market and they are stated out)
Millennium Coral and Clams

are the locations of the new Navy's secret cities detailed?

Yes, with a map of the surrounding locations, Kodiak Island (Alaska), Hawaii and a small island halfway between South American and Antarctica.

does it explain how the New Navy's society/government works?

Sort of, but not really, they run military style. Even their cities are essentially just places for their civilian population to live, but controlled by the Navy.

...and a few other tidbits to tease you further
New O.C.C.s
Game Master’s section on how to bring “Land Lubber” characters into an undersea campaign.
Plot ideas on how to run an epic campaign to battle the Lord of the Deep
A bunch of hook, line and sinkers,
Undersea Colony Creation Rules
Random Tropic Island Encounter Tables
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

are the undersea colony rules detailed, or just the point build general guide style?
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

So how would they feel about someone new building a major city on the california coastline littearlly overnight? :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

First of all, congrats!

I've been working on my own book for about a month now (its my first attempt at writing an RPG) and it is not an easy job. Incredibly fun and rewarding; but no where near as easy as I'd assumed when I first started. So yeah, I know just how much work youve put into this and I wish you the absolute best!

Next, my question is...

New Monsters/Antagonists, what we got? Rehashes of old guys or reissues of new guys?

Likewise, do you "R:UE" any of the O.C.C.s from underseas/coalition navy or anything like that? If not, would you consider doing that as an "official" Rifter article that accompanies its release?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Congrats, look forward to seeing it. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Looking forward to seeing more about the New Navy.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
cl7277
Wanderer

Unread post by cl7277 »

way to go. any new magic in the book? Or is it just mainly mech's? and/or ships
Greg Diaczyk

glitterboy2098 wrote
are the undersea colony rules detailed, or just the point build general guide style?

Its the standard point based creation rules, however it is fairly detailed.

Nekira Sudacne wrote
So how would they feel about someone new building a major city on the california coastline littearlly overnight? :D

You'd have to take that up with the Native Americans in the area, and yes the book does have a section on Native Americans and their interaction between their Totem Warriors (Dolphin & Whale) and the Whale Singers

Akashic Soldier wrote

First of all, congrats!

Thank you :D

I've been working on my own book for about a month now (its my first attempt at writing an RPG) and it is not an easy job. Incredibly fun and rewarding; but no where near as easy as I'd assumed when I first started. So yeah, I know just how much work youve put into this and I wish you the absolute best!

I think it took me all of three months to write, but that was half an hour here, and an hour there over the course of five years. Not to mention the fact that I had to put it down for a couple of months so I could "forget" what I wrote to better proof read it at a later time. With life's little hiccups, its can certainly be a challenge to write.

If you haven’t already done so write a couple of Rifter articles so Palladium books can get a feel for how your write. Also don’t do a 224 page book like Lemuria off the bat, while it was fun you’ll have to wait 5 years to get in published. A small source book is easier to push through and less work on your first attempt and easier to get feedback on. Good luck on your efforts too!

Next, my question is...

New Monsters/Antagonists, what we got? Rehashes of old guys or reissues of new guys?

No new major menace, but I did highlight and bring to the front a lot of stuff that was already out there such as Pirate factions in the Pacific, Kizh and Octurill (D-Bees from Splynn Dimensional market that were mentioned but never stated out), more Lemurian stuff, a large section on the Cult of the Deep and game scenarios for running a campaign to fulfill Current-Rider's Prophecy to defeat the Lord of the Deep.

Likewise, do you "R:UE" any of the O.C.C.s from underseas/coalition navy or anything like that? If not, would you consider doing that as an "official" Rifter article that accompanies its release?

No I didn’t R:UE any of the old O.C.C. but I did add four new ones, the Naval Intelligence Officer, Oceanic Explorer, Shrieker (got cut from Lemuria so I felt I could give it a home here) and the Millennium Protector.

Not really, they already have R:UE style updates for CS Navy and the New Navy stuff is on par with R:UE "Plain Jane" stats for CS soldiers.

I got to run, but I will respond to the other questions later! :-)
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Well I'm on the fence here; On one hand I really want these updates, on the other hand I have a few disagreements with your concepts Greg.
According to Underseas, the New Navy is not a Military Dictatorship it is merely under Martial Law, also it is stated that they DO, in fact, have an elected gov't on Refuge city. That means that he ELECTED gov't is in over all control, but supports the continuation of Martial law. This is a basic fact of how the U.S. Military works and the "New" Navy uses ALL the same rules and regulations that they did as the "U.S." Navy.
Also IMO we DON'T need yet another useless O.C.C. such as "Naval Intelligence". In Underseas we already have ALL the Navy O.C.C.s we need, especially as all Naval Intelligence personnel are either enlisted or Officer rank with Intelligence training. The enlisted Intel personnel start off as normal enlisted crewmen and then, depending upon their career choice and their personal aptitude, pursue an Intelligence career.
On the upside I'm VERY glad to see that the New Navy's bases and cities finally given “real” locations!! I’m also looking forward to seeing these new Power Armor and ships.
I will wait and see IF it comes out and THEN I will give my final thoughts.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I am looking forward to this book, Greg! I especially like the proposed section of how to transition land characters into an underseas game, as that is a question I have been wrestling with lately. Will there be any more glimpses of Golden Age naval tech or the usual PA advancements (which is also cool)? :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Greg Diaczyk

cl7277 wrote

way to go. any new magic in the book? Or is it just mainly mech's? and/or ships

While it leans heavily on the mech and tech stuff there is the Millennium Coral and Millennium Reef stuff. If anyone made it out to the last couple of Open House you may have seen some of it in my Play Tests. Think Millennium Tree stuff only with Coral wands, staves and tridents and Pearl wands and orbs.

There is one quasi magic O.C.C. the Millennium Protector, who guards the Millennium Pearls. They get a bunch of Millennium Pearl stuff but are also granted magic powers and spell like abilities through their link with the Millennium Clams.

There is also the Shrieker O.C.C. - think Burster but a master of Sonic/Sounds and Telekinesis

keir451 wrote

According to Underseas, the New Navy is not a Military Dictatorship it is merely under Martial Law, also it is stated that they DO, in fact, have an elected gov't on Refuge city. That means that he ELECTED gov't is in over all control, but supports the continuation of Martial law. This is a basic fact of how the U.S. Military works and the "New" Navy uses ALL the same rules and regulations that they did as the "U.S." Navy.

I guess I should clarify my earlier comment with the statement that I didn't do anything specifically on the government and essentially left the original stuff in Underseas as to how everything is run, focusing more on the content in the cities and mapping out thier areas. - So your concerns are not necessary.

Also IMO we DON'T need yet another useless O.C.C. such as "Naval Intelligence". In Underseas we already have ALL the Navy O.C.C.s we need, especially as all Naval Intelligence personnel are either enlisted or Officer rank with Intelligence training. The enlisted Intel personnel start off as normal enlisted crewmen and then, depending upon their career choice and their personal aptitude, pursue an Intelligence career.

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but I think some people might find the new O.C.C.'s fun. The New Navy Intelligence has been forced back into old school stuff like human contacts instead of satellite feeds, and more undercover spy like stuff and could make for an interesting and fun concept to run with. The Naval Intelligence Officer also tends to be less formal as he spends almost if not more time in the field working assets as he does talking to Naval Brass. Also the other O.C.C. are in part connected to or offer intelligence gathering for the New Navy, some in a less direct route (like the Millennium Protector)

Grell wrote
I am looking forward to this book, Greg! I especially like the proposed section of how to transition land characters into an underseas game, as that is a question I have been wrestling with lately. Will there be any more glimpses of Golden Age naval tech or the usual PA advancements (which is also cool)?

There is a ton of Golden Age Naval Tech – including Magneto Hydrodynamic Propulsion systems and Supercavitating torpedoes, rail gun runs and Propulsion systems in the ship construction section.

There is also some alien tech such as underwater force fields

I’ve put a timeline in so GM’s and Players can work through at their own pace.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:There is a ton of Golden Age Naval Tech – including Magneto Hydrodynamic Propulsion systems and Supercavitating torpedoes, rail gun runs and Propulsion systems in the ship construction section.

Excellent, Smithers! :D

Wait, there isn't already? I guess it's pretty overdue then.

I've put a timeline in so GM’s and Players can work through at their own pace.

Timelines are good. Will this cover tech developments exclusively or the golden age to present in general?
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Congratulations on getting your manuscript in!

I have a couple of questions for you, if you have the time:

I saw that you allowed yourself a few months' break to do a better proof-read. Do you also use other people to look it over before you send it in?

How much play-testing goes into your writing?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Greg Diaczyk wrote:glitterboy2098 wrote

Its the standard point based creation rules, however it is fairly detailed.

i ask because i have an article on the topic in Rifter 0.1. i'd intentionally avoided the classic 'point buy' approach, instead writing mostly about how one lives under the sea, where they get food, and so on, as well as a bunch of stats for undersea habitat modules, diving gear, and a system for building minisubs out of common components.

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Grell wrote
I am looking forward to this book, Greg! I especially like the proposed section of how to transition land characters into an underseas game, as that is a question I have been wrestling with lately. Will there be any more glimpses of Golden Age naval tech or the usual PA advancements (which is also cool)?

There is a ton of Golden Age Naval Tech – including Magneto Hydrodynamic Propulsion systems and Supercavitating torpedoes, rail gun runs and Propulsion systems in the ship construction section.

Supercavitating torpedo's already exist in WB7. they're just listed as "torpedoes".
WB7 torpedoes can hit 300mph, just like real world supercav's... but regular real world torpedoes only reach 1/4 that speed. hell, without supercav tech anything over 100mph is pretty much impossible due to drag issues.
WB7 torpedoes are unguided and fired in straight lines... just like real world supercav's. real world regulr torpedoes have extremely powerful sonar guidance systems onboard and are highly accurate. they also can link to the firing sub via a wire or fiber optic line, letting them use the subs more powerful targeting gear to become even more accurate.

about the only thing the wb7 torps have in common with real world non-supercav torps is range, but that can easily be fixed with golden age advancements.

that said, there is room for improvement over the WB7 torps, so these new ones could just be special new navy 'super torpedoes"

is the Magnetohydrodynamic the real world "uses magnetic fields to move water, super heating it and generating lots of steam and noise" version, or the incorrect "Hunt for Red October" super-silent drive? (which was actually a pumpjet drive, like our latests subs use, in the novel, but which the movie inaccurately 'teched up' to make it more scifi..)

given that Fleets of the 3 galaxies has established that force fields in phase world don't work against air and water, this should be an interesting thing.. if they hold back water, they'd have to working on a completely different principle than phase world forcefields. Phase world shields would still work (as written) when underwater, they just wouldn't stop the water from filling up the volume protected by the shields.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Have to say it sounds better than I had imagined! Cannot wait. And with the island you mentioned I can take my party from South America to Antarctica. Just need that book published too!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

If it is only half as good as Lemuria, I want it now! Lemuria is in my top five Rifts books so I would like this one to have priority one after NG 1 and 2.

My wish list:

1) a Typhoon class sub armed to the teeth with ICBMs. Either you give me one or I will ask The Galactus Kid for one (Sovietiski book!).
2) a Malvinas/Falklands base or something to adventure here.
3) rules for navigating with subs under ice masses like the artic!

Congratulations on your new book. I will buy it for sure!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Greg Diaczyk

Hotrod wrote

Congratulations on getting your manuscript in!

Thank you! :D

I have a couple of questions for you, if you have the time:

I saw that you allowed yourself a few months' break to do a better proof-read. Do you also use other people to look it over before you send it in?

How much play-testing goes into your writing?

Three of my players also proof read my early manuscripts, and while my players often give me feedback on my ideas and concepts, none so far have actually tried to give me new ideas, but several discussion have revolved around concepts I have created and they did help me flesh it out.

I do a fair bit of play testing, with my two last campaigns being based on play test O.C.C. (we are currently taking a break from play testing and playing a Heroes game set in the 1880s). The Lemuria one was a way's back though and I brought some of it to the 2009 and 2010 Open House at Palladium Books. I then did a "fresh" play test for the last Open House (2012) using the fully finished/edited material. For The New Navy Book we've been doing a fairly extensive bit of play testing. I brought a sample to the 2010 Open House and we ran a 6 year campaign with some of the material (Lemuria and New Navy). We were also playing a Rifts China campaign so I could play test my China 3 material for the past 2 years, but we took a break so I could retool a buch of it (lots of Game Mechanics to fiddle with in China 3) and do the final proof read for New Navy before I sent it in. I suspect we'll get back into the China 3 game once I streamline all the material again.

glitterboy2098 wrote

Supercavitating torpedo's already exist in WB7. they're just listed as "torpedoes".

True, the Russians had an early supercavitating torpedo that could reach 100 knots and while Underseas does have 300 mph torpedoes, the new ones are essentially on par with Rifts missiles speeds, though they are 50% more expensive. The submersible propulsion system should allow a fighter sized vessel to reach MACH 2 (twice the speed of sound in air) underwater, but it is expensive.

is the Magnetohydrodynamic the real world "uses magnetic fields to move water, super heating it and generating lots of steam and noise" version, or the incorrect "Hunt for Red October" super-silent drive? (which was actually a pumpjet drive, like our latests subs use, in the novel, but which the movie inaccurately 'teched up' to make it more scifi..)

I know it wasn't as scientifically accurate, but I thought it sounded cooler so yes I did go with the Caterpillar Drive. The Lemurians also use something like this, except in goes on the outside of the hull.

given that Fleets of the 3 galaxies has established that force fields in phase world don't work against air and water, this should be an interesting thing.. if they hold back water, they'd have to working on a completely different principle than phase world forcefields. Phase world shields would still work (as written) when underwater, they just wouldn't stop the water from filling up the volume protected by the shields.

Yes they can hold back water, if they go above water, they also take the water with it. Some of it is alien tech, but some of it is Earth based scientists trying to backwards engineer the discovered alien tech.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Greg Diaczyk

Dark Elf wrote

Have to say it sounds better than I had imagined! Cannot wait. And with the island you mentioned I can take my party from South America to Antarctica. Just need that book published too!

Matthew Clements and I did discuss this a bit and I did throw in a couple of teasers into the New Navy Book regarding what's going on in Matt's Antarctica Book.... :D

ffranceschi wrote

If it is only half as good as Lemuria, I want it now! Lemuria is in my top five Rifts books so I would like this one to have priority one after NG 1 and 2.

Glad to hear that! :D

My wish list:

1) a Typhoon class sub armed to the teeth with ICBMs. Either you give me one or I will ask The Galactus Kid for one (Sovietiski book!).

Their is a Russian attack sub with a ram prow (think the 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Nautilus), Akula class with a bunch of ICBMs

2) a Malvinas/Falklands base or something to adventure here.

Sorry, I put the New Navy on the other side of the Antarctic, just under New Zealand on the Balleny Islands

3) rules for navigating with subs under ice masses like the artic!

Hmmm... I would think this is just a Read Sensory and Navigation roll?

Congratulations on your new book. I will buy it for sure!

Thank you!
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

ffranceschi wrote:1) a Typhoon class sub armed to the teeth with ICBMs. Either you give me one or I will ask The Galactus Kid for one (Sovietiski book!).

As much as I'm looking forward to the New Navy book, I'd be interested to see this. There are a few submarines in the Sovietski book, and I would be intrigues to see how the New navy managed to get their hands on some of the Russian subs. I would venture to guess that they would have been from naval bases on the eastern shores of the new soviet union.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Greg Diaczyk

The Galactus Kid wrote

As much as I'm looking forward to the New Navy book, I'd be interested to see this. There are a few submarines in the Sovietski book, and I would be intrigues to see how the New navy managed to get their hands on some of the Russian subs. I would venture to guess that they would have been from naval bases on the eastern shores of the new soviet union.

A particularly lucky Pirate King has a large number of them in his possession/fleet. Rumor has it he took them from the Naval Shipyards at Komsomolsk-on-Amur (Russian East coast, just above Japan), which is now on the coast, with the rising waters.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

The Galactus Kid

Greg Diaczyk wrote:The Galactus Kid wrote

A particularly lucky Pirate King has a large number of them in his possession/fleet. Rumor has it he took them from the Naval Shipyards at Komsomolsk-on-Amur (Russian East coast, just above Japan), which is now on the coast, with the rising waters.

Ah excellent. Move along...Nothing to see here.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Greg Diaczyk wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote

True, the Russians had an early supercavitating torpedo that could reach 100 knots and while Underseas does have 300 mph torpedoes, the new ones are essentially on par with Rifts missiles speeds, though they are 50% more expensive. The submersible propulsion system should allow a fighter sized vessel to reach MACH 2 (twice the speed of sound in air) underwater, but it is expensive.

as long as your aware of the distinction. you'd be surprised how many people aren't aware of what the WB7 stats represent.
though i have to say, speeds comparable a missile through air is going to make these things pretty mch impossible to shoot down. the WB7 torp's are only giving a -6 or so to strike penalty due to their speed.. Rifts Missiles range from -15 to -49, with the bigger missiles moving faster and thus being that much harder to hit. anything bigger than a minimissile pretty much requires a natural 20 to hit it.

also, the VA-111 Shkval can hit 200 knots (about 370mph). although classified until recently, it's been in use since the 70's. it was an accident with the Shkval's mono-propellant rocket fuel that is believed to have caused the destruction of the Kursk. since it went public in the 90's, Iran has made an exact clone of the Shkval for their own use, and the germans have developed the "barracuda", which is their own version of the super-cavitating torpedo.
the US had a prototype model of its own in the works in the 90's, but abandoned it in favor of smarter and quieter versions of the standard torpedoes. though there is ongoing work with developing a minisub with rocket systems that allow it to hit 300+ mph, intended for insertion of special forces teams in a littoral environment, with super-cavitation available as a means for rapid escape if detected.

I know it wasn't as scientifically accurate, but I thought it sounded cooler so yes I did go with the Caterpillar Drive. The Lemurians also use something like this, except in goes on the outside of the hull.

again, so long as your aware of the distinction. :)
in theory you could build a super-silent drive using MHD's, but the physics of it have made it really hard to achieve.

Yes they can hold back water, if they go above water, they also take the water with it. Some of it is alien tech, but some of it is Earth based scientists trying to backwards engineer the discovered alien tech.

should be interesting.

sorry to give you the 2nd degree, but underseas is a big interest of mine (which is why i had two articles for it in rifter 0.1), and i am a big believer in "Research, Research, and Verisimilitude" when writing stuff.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

s there anything new in terms of metaplot? That is if you can answer my question. Im asking because I hope to see the new navy do more than just hide out and do much of nothing.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Greg Diaczyk

Sureshot wrote
s there anything new in terms of metaplot? That is if you can answer my question. Im asking because I hope to see the new navy do more than just hide out and do much of nothing.

There is no "plot advancing metaplot" like the Siege on Tolkeen, but the New Navy is far more active and involved with the undersea colonies and re-colonized Pacific Rim than they are in the Atlantic (CS and NGR). Besides the Lord of the Deep and the Cult of the Deep, pirates are a big problem in the region and the New Navy spends a great deal of time taking them down and protecting the colonies.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Sureshot wrote

There is no "plot advancing metaplot" like the Siege on Tolkeen, but the New Navy is far more active and involved with the undersea colonies and re-colonized Pacific Rim than they are in the Atlantic (CS and NGR). Besides the Lord of the Deep and the Cult of the Deep, pirates are a big problem in the region and the New Navy spends a great deal of time taking them down and protecting the colonies.

this makes me happy that when writing my article on undersea colonization, the examples colonies i wrote were in the Atlantic Ocean primarily. i only had two examples in the pacific. one was a new navy aquafarming colony near Midway, the other a pre-rifts research base near the Marianas trench, who's population vanished sometime after the great cataclysm, leaving just empty habitat modules and a few cryptic clues. (borrowed heavily from the Roanoke colony story.. seemed fitting.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sureshot
Champion

Greg Diaczyk wrote:There is no "plot advancing metaplot" like the Siege on Tolkeen, but the New Navy is far more active and involved with the undersea colonies and re-colonized Pacific Rim than they are in the Atlantic (CS and NGR). Besides the Lord of the Deep and the Cult of the Deep, pirates are a big problem in the region and the New Navy spends a great deal of time taking them down and protecting the colonies.

Thanks for answering. While I was not expecting major metaplot. I was looking forward to more than the usual holding action the forces of good seem to be shown doing in Rifts. Still at least they are more active.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Greg Diaczyk

Gryphon wrote
I would think that more than a few Russian, Japanese, Australian, and possibly even European (French, English, and a few others come to mind) submarines ended up seeking safe harbor with the New Navy when the world got fragged back in 2098. And its been what? four or five hundred years since then

I suddenly can't recall just how long the Neo Dark Age period was! Whatever it was, add it to like 110 years of P.A....that long!

call it 12-15 generations though, so most of them are likely no longer in use, used for "Home Water Defense", or were lost. And most of their crew, being more or less outnumbered by the Americans, would have been culturally subsumed by this point too.?

Very true and that is why I went with the customized submarine creation rules, instead of making 50 different types of submarines.

What I want to see is a super cavitation based sub-fighter! Something with limited agility while at sprint speeds, but intended as a fast reaction interceptor of sorts. Maybe a light transport, basically a submerged Blackhawk intended to deploy a dozen or so submersible troopers, or fewer PA of Cyborg units. (Does the New Navy actually use fulkies? I suddenly can't recall.)

Yes the New Navy has one of these, its a fighter/interceptor mini-bomber.

Hmm...are we going to get a chance to get a really good sort of maps depicting the typical areas "claimed" by the underwater factions, and the areas known to be their typical stomping grounds? Also, areas that are considered no goes for one reason or another, beyond the triangles.

Lots of maps in this one, I think its 7 or so? Everything from inidivdual areas (New Zealand, Hawaii, Pacific Rim, Alaskian Coast) as well as an entire Pacific Ocean Map.

And lastly, my congratulations on your efforts chief, more info is always welcomed!

Thank you, and your welcome. It is truely a labor of love :-D
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Here's a question!

Did you do anything with New Guinea and did New Zealand turn back to Cannibalism?

Rifts doesn't have enough cannibalism (I am being deadly seriously). Cannibals make great antagonists if used properly. Trust no one.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Greg Diaczyk

Akashic Soldier wrote

Here's a question!

Did you do anything with New Guinea and did New Zealand turn back to Cannibalism?

Rifts doesn't have enough cannibalism (I am being deadly seriously). Cannibals make great antagonists if used properly. Trust no one

Yes there is stuff on Papua New Guinea, it is plagued by dinosaurs and an unknown cannabalistc D-Bees

Yes there is stuff on New Zealand, but not cannibals. The North island has been recolonized by people from the undersea community looking to return to the surface. The Southern Island is wracked with dimensional anomalies as it is half in the Australian Triangle and the Mauian Order (see Rifts Lemuria for more details on them) has also secretly taken up residence there.

There are also random tropical island encounter tables with the chance to run across cannibals
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Greg Diaczyk wrote:There are also random tropical island encounter tables with the chance to run across cannibals

I'll buy it. I am Australian so I am always interested in seeing what you guys have done with the local area. Yes, we consider these places local. Our understanding of distance is different to most other places. :lol:

Seriously though man, great work and I am very excited to see it! Yet another piece in the puzzle that is Rifts Earth!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Greg Diaczyk wrote:
What I want to see is a super cavitation based sub-fighter! Something with limited agility while at sprint speeds, but intended as a fast reaction interceptor of sorts. Maybe a light transport, basically a submerged Blackhawk intended to deploy a dozen or so submersible troopers, or fewer PA of Cyborg units. (Does the New Navy actually use fulkies? I suddenly can't recall.)

it'll be interesting to see how this stacks up to the prerifts Barracuda Supercavitation Subfighter i included in my 2nd Rifter 0.1 Article, New Navy R&D. subfighter only (the design needs of supercav would normally preclude making a dual air-sea craft), with a double propulsion system. a waterjet propulsion system derived from the manta's underwater mode, and a set of compact (and somewhat buggy) Fusion rockets for the supercavitation propulsion. they solved the issue of being blind while in the supercav bubble by building a high powered Lidar imagine system into the supercavitation initiator at the prow. due to the limited onboard fuel, it can only supercav (top speed of 600 mph, or roughly half the aquatic speed of sound) for 15 minutes max.. though since it uses regular hydrogen it does have cracking and condensing systems on board that let it refuel if it operates at normal speeds for awhile.
the mission role i'd intended was also the interceptor/anti-ship role..

you can see an earlier version of what i included in the article here. some changes in stats have occurred since that thread though.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Holy...I'd buy this book!
They can't see me...Right!?
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

YAAAYY!! Glad to hear it Greg - Looking forwards to any book you write!

Greg
Sureshot
Champion

What other book are you planning on writing Greg?

Enlightened Grognard

Greg Diaczyk

Thank you all for your accolades!

Sureshot wrote
What other book are you planning on writing Greg?

Now that the New Navy is done, I am heading back to work on China 3: Master of Magic. My first draft is done, but it is so large and requires some significant editing before I pass if off to Palladium Books. I talked to Kevin about the size of it (350+ pages) that we might break it up into two books... :D If any of you were at the last Open House you might of had a chance to get a sneak peak at some of the ideas brewing for this book.

After that I move onto my next project Heroes Unlimited: Hardware Unlimited, which I think is going to be really fun :D
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

The Galactus Kid

Greg Diaczyk wrote: If any of you were at the last Open House you might of had a chance to get a sneak peak at some of the ideas brewing for this book.

I've seen some of the stuff in it and it is going to be amazing. I'm thrilled that you're diving into it, and can't wait for it to be completed.

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:I am heading back to work on China 3: Master of Magic. My first draft is done, but it is so large and requires some significant editing before I pass if off to Palladium Books. I talked to Kevin about the size of it (350+ pages) that we might break it up into two books... :D If any of you were at the last Open House you might of had a chance to get a sneak peak at some of the ideas brewing for this book.

Glad to see its in good hands.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
RiverJack
Explorer

Unread post by RiverJack »

@Greg Diaczyk: I am sorry I did not see you post this topic before I started mine about the New Navy. This is a long shot but could you please include the ASF-14 Tomcat for the New Navy? I would have done anything to fly this for the Navy even as a test pilot. This thing is beast, an apex predator of the sky, or it would have been. I just want one game to have it, you would think ace combat would have it since they like to throw in real and fake prototypes. It would be an extra bonus to me if it ended up in Rifts because if I had to choose between the two games I mentioned I will always pick Rifts. Ace is ok but it is far from realistic...
Sureshot
Champion

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Now that the New Navy is done, I am heading back to work on China 3: Master of Magic. My first draft is done, but it is so large and requires some significant editing before I pass if off to Palladium Books. I talked to Kevin about the size of it (350+ pages) that we might break it up into two books... :D If any of you were at the last Open House you might of had a chance to get a sneak peak at some of the ideas brewing for this book.

After that I move onto my next project Heroes Unlimited: Hardware Unlimited, which I think is going to be really fun :D

Thanks for responding. Not sure if I'm looking forward to China 3. Yet definaltey looking forward to hardware unlimited. The tech in HU is imo becoming quite dated. Time for a update.

Enlightened Grognard

The Galactus Kid

RiverJack wrote:@Greg Diaczyk: I am sorry I did not see you post this topic before I started mine about the New Navy. This is a long shot but could you please include the ASF-14 Tomcat for the New Navy? I would have done anything to fly this for the Navy even as a test pilot. This thing is beast, an apex predator of the sky, or it would have been. I just want one game to have it, you would think ace combat would have it since they like to throw in real and fake prototypes. It would be an extra bonus to me if it ended up in Rifts because if I had to choose between the two games I mentioned I will always pick Rifts. Ace is ok but it is far from realistic...

Have you seen the updates Tomcat in SB 4: Coalition Navy?

RiverJack
Explorer

Unread post by RiverJack »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
RiverJack wrote:@Greg Diaczyk: I am sorry I did not see you post this topic before I started mine about the New Navy. This is a long shot but could you please include the ASF-14 Tomcat for the New Navy? I would have done anything to fly this for the Navy even as a test pilot. This thing is beast, an apex predator of the sky, or it would have been. I just want one game to have it, you would think ace combat would have it since they like to throw in real and fake prototypes. It would be an extra bonus to me if it ended up in Rifts because if I had to choose between the two games I mentioned I will always pick Rifts. Ace is ok but it is far from realistic...

Have you seen the updates Tomcat in SB 4: Coalition Navy?

Its not the same. The ASF-14 would have a much more powerful radar/targeting system. Better cross-sections, better maneuverability, better everything. It wouldn't even use AIM-54s but a new Long BVR missile.

Also compared to the Goldsmith F-14D armor wise it would have more armor. Also just for the laughs we could say that it could carry more weapons than what was mentioned in the list of things the proposed ASF-14 would have had.

N.G. the people that make the F-14s and other deadly cats, have also made a Navalised Laser that can burn through 20 feet of steel per seconded. This happened in real life.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/navys-record-breaking-laser-burns-through-20-feet-of-steel-per-second-20110221/

Since both are made by the same company who is to say maybe it could have carried a smaller nanotube powered Laser. The great thing about lasers is that they 100% will put out the energy put into the lasing proses. How much MD do you think this Laser would do in real life that I mentioned above?

It could be mounted in between the engines. Also just to through some more fun stuff out this ASF-14 could use Lidar and AESAR, it could be a Stealth hunter interceptor fighter. =] Give it a bonus to fininding and attacking stealthy aliens/humans/dragons/ect.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Greg:

I'm a huge fan of Heroes Unlimited, and I was very excited to hear you will be working on the Hardware Unlimited book. Can you give us any hints of what the book will contain? Will you update, or rework any of the other tech classes, such as Bionics or Robotics? Are you planning to introduce any new rules or systems, or is it more of a "catalog" or weapons & gear?

Really looking forward to this one!
SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:After that I move onto my next project Heroes Unlimited: Hardware Unlimited, which I think is going to be really fun :D

When you do, please, please make it so that you can actually build a proper Super Robot? Exotic Power sources, pulling weapons out of nowhere (dimensional pocket? On-the-spot nanofabrication?), Rocket Punching, Gattai (combining), the whole nine yards.

If you visual clues for that all entails, look up the following on Google or YouTube:

Voltron (see also: Golion, Dairugger XV)

Mazinger Z (see also: Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotesu Jeeg, Mazinkaiser, etc...)

Getter Robo

Gao Gai Gar (see also: Might Gaine, Dagwon, Brave(Yuusha) Series, etc...)

Combattler V (Voltes V, Daimos)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Super Robot Wars

I know HU is supposed to be more about Western comics, but hey, Marvel actually has a few Super Robots in it's universe (in fact, it used to actually have some of the Anime robots, look up "Shogun Warriors"). Besides, I haven't asked you to do any Power Rangers/Kamen Rider stuff or Magical Girls, right? :)
Greg Diaczyk

Mediapig71 wrote

Can you give us any hints of what the book will contain?

At the moment it is still in the very early stages of development, but what I pitched to Kevin was the following:

Hardware Unlimited™
A sourcebook for Heroes Unlimited™

The much anticipated accessories book for any crime fighter, vigilante and super hero. A comprehensive catalogue of the standard fair of super hero gear from grappling hooks, super sleuthing gear, to body armor, weapons and accessories only a super hero would need. Not to be outdone by the gear they produce the heroes behind their concepts rise to feature their talents to the super hero community, battling with their evil competitor Fabricator Inc. by outfitting heroes with the latest gear, accessories, costumes and hero paraphernalia.

• New Hardware Power Categories: Hacker, Driver, Mad Scientist, Chemical Genius, Robotics Genius and Robotic Swarm Master.
• An as un yet named Hardware Organization that builds custom costumes, gear, technologically gear that upgrades super powers, vehicles and Hero Headquarters (a good guy version of Fabricator Inc.)
• A huge catalogue of useful low tech and high tech gear for every type of super hero, from the normal human vigilante to the power packed mutant. All accessories to be “timeline appropriate” and easily adjusted whether you want to run a game in 1980 or 2080.
• New Bionics and Robotic Systems
• Custom Vehicle Creation Rules for Land, Sea and Air Vehicles.
• Advice on how to run equipment based games and hero dependency on gadgets (instead of powers)
• Expanded Mega-Heroes (An updated version of my Rifter # 37 article)
• Secret Base Creation Rules (An updated version of my Rifter #37 article)
• New Skill programs to reflect "non-Hardware" characters trying to be Hardware Characters such as a Mutant with Telemechanics or Mechano-Link.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

That sounds awesome, Greg.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

This sounds awesome man! I really hope there are some rules in there to even the playing field between tech based heroes and power based ones.... Can't wait for this book!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Gryphon wrote
I would think that more than a few Russian, Japanese, Australian, and possibly even European (French, English, and a few others come to mind) submarines ended up seeking safe harbor with the New Navy when the world got fragged back in 2098. And its been what? four or five hundred years since then

I suddenly can't recall just how long the Neo Dark Age period was! Whatever it was, add it to like 110 years of P.A....that long!

call it 12-15 generations though, so most of them are likely no longer in use, used for "Home Water Defense", or were lost. And most of their crew, being more or less outnumbered by the Americans, would have been culturally subsumed by this point too.?

Very true and that is why I went with the customized submarine creation rules, instead of making 50 different types of submarines.

Hmm...are we going to get a chance to get a really good sort of maps depicting the typical areas "claimed" by the underwater factions, and the areas known to be their typical stomping grounds? Also, areas that are considered no goes for one reason or another, beyond the triangles.

Lots of maps in this one, I think its 7 or so? Everything from inidivdual areas (New Zealand, Hawaii, Pacific Rim, Alaskian Coast) as well as an entire Pacific Ocean Map.

And lastly, my congratulations on your efforts chief, more info is always welcomed!

Thank you, and your welcome. It is truely a labor of love :-D

It makes sense to use custom creation rules for things like subs. Even today any sub that is not made by the military is probably a one off creation designed to perform a specific goal or goals. There is very little standardization even now amongst sub mainly because a sub that is good for salvage is probably pretty useless for science.

Return to “Rifts®”