Player Characters and their vehicles

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Re: Player Characters and their vehicles

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Try to convince him to trade up to a rusty junker of a hovercycle out of sympathy for your plight as a GM.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:One of my players chose an automobile (rusty junker) for his character's (vagabond) starting vehicle.

My question is this. How do you handle character's vehicles in your game when using their vehicle isn't viable. Clearly he's not going to be able to travel long distances outside of a city with his old junker of a car. Mainly because roads and highways through the wilderness just plain don't exist anymore. Should I try to convince him to purchase another vehicle or let him come to this realization on his own.

In past campaigns, my PC's just used hovercycles or traveled via ley line or rift.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

If his rusty junker is a pick-up, especially one with 4-wheel drive, he can still get plenty of use out of it.
Remember, people crossed the US in frickin' WAGONS back before we had much in the way of roads.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

(double post)
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Yeah, automobiles are a viable means of wilderness transportation. The big boss ATV can cross just about any type of rough terrain as long as the path is big enough and the group isn't attempting to go through thick woodlands. If anything, a automobile usually has an enclosed area that can act as shelter and keep unwanted SDC critters from doing nasty things, like a scorpion sneaking into someones boot or a blood drinking alien tape worm from sneaking up on someone in their bedroll.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Snow Hawk
Explorer

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

I say let him find out on his own. Maybe you as GM can give him the chance to trade it out for something ells or get it upgraded in game
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

can always take possession of a bandits/targets/enemies hover bike later on down the road if necessary ....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Is the car stated out or not and how much non-travel use is the vehicle for?

You can always assign the stats for the car so it isn't so useless in your eyes.

Give him/her a small budget to upgrade via the super-vehicle rules in HU/N&S so it isn't so useless, it just looks that way.
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

Rifter 50 & 51 detailed MDC and sdc vehicle construction rules for a Rifts environment. This might help in statting out his old junker.

It cold also be a sophisticated alien machine intelligence thats slumming as an old car too.
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Faceless Dude wrote:
It cold also be a sophisticated alien machine intelligence thats slumming as an old car too.

Transformers.........more than meets the eye......... :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

If he insists, let him play it. If it gets stuck in the mud and he has to abandon it, it's on him. Sounds like you've already kinda hinted that it might not be good for the game. If he persists, it's on him.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Vast majority of games that I ran had the lionshare of the player characters walking (aside from one with a hovercycle or horse and/or one in a power armor, et cetera). So this has never really been an issue.

~ Josh
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would point out that 'old junkers' have been shown to be just fine at cross country travel. Vid 1, vid 2. two wheel drive, no less.

my suggestion is to talk to the player and decide what kind of car and what is wrong with it. you might consider looking over places selling used cars for inspiration.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

There is another thread on here about haunted vehicles I haven't read yet. Something to consider. Also this is great for you, every river becomes a challenge to the players. They are giving you a gift. I would accept it.

Just make it fun. "There's a river. You will have to abandon the truck or go a few miles up stream to a bridge you see in the distance"
"We go to the bridge"
"There are a gang of hungry trolls on the bridge they are willing to let the party cross after you decide which of you they get to eat"

Return to “Rifts®”