Operation Bug Hunt.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Operation Bug Hunt.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Ok, so now that the Bug Problem is just about to explode over with it's massive population, and the CS is about to go to war with them, what do you think the chances of Lazlo getting involved are?

I don't see FQ getting into it, as far as they're concerned the Bugs are a CS problem. Admittedly the Minion War might spill over into the Buglands, but I kinda figure that will be more in Europe then NA.

Who else do you see getting involved?
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Operation Bug Hunt.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

An enigmatic lone Cosmo Knight.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Ravenwing
Hero

Dude! lol. Speaking of Phase world! I played a Pirate that was more of a PA/Robot Jacker then he was a sailor. Anyway, we got stuck at Center for a bit one time, and my PC proceeded to Jack a pair of those huge Robots that the Human's use..idk the name of the nation, but it's the human/wolfen one. Anyway, I loved those mechs for the three whole days that I had them. Nothing like punching a ships hull open and blasting into it, screaming over your loudspeaker ' Avast ye lusty wenches, prepare to have your poopdecks boarded from the rear!" :lol:
No I don't know what made me come up with that the first time my PC invaded a ship, but every time we raided a ship, I just kept screaming it.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Ravenwing wrote:Dude! lol. Speaking of Phase world! I played a Pirate that was more of a PA/Robot Jacker then he was a sailor. Anyway, we got stuck at Center for a bit one time, and my PC proceeded to Jack a pair of those huge Robots that the Human's use..idk the name of the nation, but it's the human/wolfen one. Anyway, I loved those mechs for the three whole days that I had them. Nothing like punching a ships hull open and blasting into it, screaming over your loudspeaker ' Avast ye lusty wenches, prepare to have your poopdecks boarded from the rear!" :lol:
No I don't know what made me come up with that the first time my PC invaded a ship, but every time we raided a ship, I just kept screaming it.

I think I know the mech you're talking about. Its the um.. not the Avenger... thats the God-Armor.. what're they called... *snaps his fingers*

Can't remember the name but yeah I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

And although they're not my personal preference for player characters... Space-Pirates are awesome. Harlock/Herlock and Galaxy Express 999 forever baby. :)

That said I am not so sure we're going to see them come to the aid of the CS against the Bugs. Might be cool if some Guyver aliens from the Tix homeworld showed up to eliminate them before they spread... but you know... they'd be D-Bee's and so... blam blam.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Ravenwing
Hero

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Dude! lol. Speaking of Phase world! I played a Pirate that was more of a PA/Robot Jacker then he was a sailor. Anyway, we got stuck at Center for a bit one time, and my PC proceeded to Jack a pair of those huge Robots that the Human's use..idk the name of the nation, but it's the human/wolfen one. Anyway, I loved those mechs for the three whole days that I had them. Nothing like punching a ships hull open and blasting into it, screaming over your loudspeaker ' Avast ye lusty wenches, prepare to have your poopdecks boarded from the rear!" :lol:

I think I know the mech you're talking about. Its the um.. not the Avenger... thats the God-Armor.. what're they called... *snaps his fingers*

Can't remember the name but yeah I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

And although they're not my personal preference for player characters... Space-Pirates are awesome. Harlock/Herlock and Galaxy Express 999 forever baby. :)

Lol, I know, no help from Phase world, but still, a Space Pirate would livin up the battles.

That said I am not so sure we're going to see them come to the aid of the CS against the Bugs. Might be cool if some Guyver aliens from the Tix homeworld showed up to eliminate them before they spread... but you know... they'd be D-Bee's and so... blam blam.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

If you read in the Bug book. Lazlo was the only ones gearing up TO do anything about it. (( even before the CS))

Now... I think the CS and Lazlo are going to be finally "ABOUT" to tackle the bug problem, when the Minion war hits earth Via Calgary, and the CS and Lazlo have to divert to handle that.

That's my guess.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Two unlikely allies fighting for their world against alien horros.

I can see it now...

A Lalzo Mystic is knocked to the ground and two CS soldier's step over him and empty their E-Clips into his monstrous attacker.

"W-Why would you do that?" asks the Mystic.
"You might be a soulless bastard." says the first CS soldier.
"But you're an EARTH souless bastard." adds the other CS Soldier.

;)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Two unlikely allies fighting for their world against alien horros.

I can see it now...

A Lalzo Mystic is knocked to the ground and two CS soldier's step over him and empty their E-Clips into his monstrous attacker.

"W-Why would you do that?" asks the Mystic.
"You might be a soulless bastard." says the first CS soldier.
"But you're an EARTH souless bastard." adds the other CS Soldier.

;)

Unfortunately that would end with them reloading and emptying their fresh clips into the Mystic, they wouldn't be picking him up, dusting him off, and sending him on his way. At least not from what's contained there.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

See my projected possibilities and results of such an "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation innnnnn the thread we had yesterday on this exact thing. :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Nightmask wrote:Unfortunately that would end with them reloading and emptying their fresh clips into the Mystic, they wouldn't be picking him up, dusting him off, and sending him on his way. At least not from what's contained there.

Too many variables or circumstances are left unsaid to say that with any real certainly. :)

I'd like to think that this one time that dusting him off and getting him back to the recon point so he could activate the ultra super magic TW weapon they need to win this skirmish in the Minion War is exactly what happened. :D
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Going by the Xiticix Book, it is already far too late. The time Lazlo wasted chillaxing at home and the CS spent wiping out civilizations, has given the Xiticix enough time to breed into an overwhelming force.
If the Minion War isn't going to bring the Xiticix back down to a manageable number then they are going to have to rely on a Deus Ex Machina approach. On the bright side, the foundations for that have already been laid - the bugs can't survive without their food source and someone is bound to figure out what that food source is and how to get rid of it.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Giant2005 wrote:Going by the Xiticix Book, it is already far too late. The time Lazlo wasted chillaxing at home and the CS spent wiping out civilizations, has given the Xiticix enough time to breed into an overwhelming force.
If the Minion War isn't going to bring the Xiticix back down to a manageable number then they are going to have to rely on a Deus Ex Machina approach. On the bright side, the foundations for that have already been laid - the bugs can't survive without their food source and someone is bound to figure out what that food source is and how to get rid of it.

I dont know what their food source is.... but that sounds like a great solution!

That will fail because the bug will pick up their hive and relocate to an area where they can get more food (presumably people) and no one will have expected that.

The shocking end to Book 1! :lol:

Where can I read up more on the Minion War? I know next to nothing about it.
Giant2005
Knight

The Minion War has it's own series of books, the Earth one hasn't been published yet.
I can't remember exactly about the bugs but if my memory is right, their food is some kind of slime that lines the walls of their Hives or something and the book makes special mention that a chemical could easily be made that targets the food if anyone actually realized that was what the bugs eat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

XI 12
Although the fungus is the primary food source of the Xiticix, they can, in a pinch, also eat fresh or rotting fruit, mushrooms, lichens and potatoes.

XI 88
The CS (nor has anyone else) has not figured out that the glowing fungus that covers the interior walls, ceiling and floors of the Hive Network is the Xiticix's primary and natural food source. However, even if they did, the fungus is highly resistant to poisons and radiation and it would take a decade or more (if ever) for them to come up with a means (biological agent, poison, etc.) to kill the fungus and cause the Xiticix to starve to death. Remember too, the Xiticix can eat other select foods and might be able to adapt, although it would chop their annual growth rate to a comparatively miniscule 10-20%
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Giant2005
Knight

My bad.
My memory sucks - after a decade the bugs would number in the billions if they keep their current growth rate, that really isn't a solution at all.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Giant2005 wrote:My bad.
My memory sucks - after a decade the bugs would number in the billions if they keep their current growth rate, that really isn't a solution at all.

Using the numbers in Xiticix Kingdoms, I estimate their "current" population as of 109 PA at a minimum of 1.2 billion already.
Although Palladium can change those numbers at any time, and I kind of expect them to whenever they get back to the Xiticix.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Giant2005
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Using the numbers in Xiticix Kingdoms, I estimate their "current" population as of 109 PA at a minimum of 1.2 billion already.
Although Palladium can change those numbers at any time, and I kind of expect them to whenever they get back to the Xiticix.

How did you get that number?
The Xiticix Book is set in 105PA and the CS estimates claim that in 4 years from there the bugs will number 30+ million. Have I got that wrong somehow? Then again the CS could be the ones with it wrong :D .
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Giant2005 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

How did you get that number?
The Xiticix Book is set in 105PA and the CS estimates claim that in 4 years from there the bugs will number 30+ million. Have I got that wrong somehow? Then again the CS could be the ones with it wrong :D .

The CS estimates are one thing- they're heresay, just what the CS knows.
If you look at the actual numbers in the books, and do the math, things are scarier.

Here's a thread where Lenwen asks people to discuss the bugs' population:
viewtopic.php?p=2059970

In it, I quote a couple of other threads where the subject came up (quoting myself, mostly, quoting the books):
viewtopic.php?p=1909305#p1909305
Xiticix Invasion, p. 22-23:
When a xiticix colony reaches 300 million members, it splits into 1d6 new colonies, each of roughly the same size. Each of those colonies will keep growing until it exceeds 200 million in population.
The Duluth Hive is the largest hive colony on Rifts Earth, and it spawned the other five, which were each 4-6 years old in 105 PA.
This would imply that there are at least 300 million Xiticix on Rifts Earth, since the original Duluth colony got large enough to split into 6 equally populated hives, and then each hive had 4-6 years to grow.
Also, the Duluth Hive is once again large enough that it is still producing queens and seeking to establish new colonies (though the other colonies are still too small).
300 million originally, split 6 ways = 50 million per colony.
If the Duluth Hive is seeking to make new colonies because it's reached the 200 Million mark, then that's another +150 million bugs, not counting the growth the other colonies have achieved in that time (it's save to assume the Duluth Hive grew faster due to better infrastructure and resources).
So that's at least 450 million bugs.

P. 85 paints a much less chilling picture, estimating that there are (as of 105 PA) 3-4 million xiticix. The projected rate of growth would put their total population at 50 million by 110 PA.
These estimates, however, are in-game estimations made by the Coalition States; they only show what the CS believes to be the truth.
They do not over-ride the previous population numbers that come from the writers themselves.

And remember that the 450 million Xiticix estimate is based on the information in Xiticix Invasion, which took place in 105 PA.
In Aftermath, set 109 PA, (p. 69), it mentions:
"Left unchecked for these past four or five years, the Xiticix population has continued to explode, not quite at a geometric rate, but close to it. Soon, swarms from each hive will go forth with a new, young queen to start their own hive and increase the current Hivelands range by 33%."
Which means that as of 109 PA, each of the six Xiticix colonies has reached at least the 200 million population mark, making their total numbers a minimum of 1.2 Billion.

There's a lot of back-and-forth over the issue, but that's the crux of it right there:
According to the books, there are 6 colonies that are ready as of 109 PA to expand "soon."
According to the books, Xiticix colonies do not expand until they have 200 million to 500 million bugs.
Taking the more conservative number (200 million) and multiplying it by the number of colonies (6), and we get 1.2 billion.

Somebody raised the question of whether or not the hives might be splitting early, so I did some more reading to check out that hypothesis, but it didn't pan out:
viewtopic.php?p=1918370#p1918370

Aftermath, 69
Left unchecked for these past four or five years, the Xiticix population has continued to explode, not quite at a geometric rate, but close to it. Soon, swarms from each hive will go forth with a new, young Queen to start their own hive and increase the current Hivelands range by 33%.

This passage is self-explanatory; the population has exploded at close to a geometric rate, and the hives are ready to create new colonies.

The Xiticix population has grown steadily over the war years, and like an overripe tomato, threatens to burst and spill into the fallen defeated Kingdom of Tolkeen, as well as northern Wisconsin and possibly the state of Iron Heart and upper Michigan.

As with the first passage, the picture is pretty clear: the xiticix population, like an overripe tomato, is more than full- it is swollen to the point of bursting.
And we have an idea of what constitutes "full" for a hive (200-300 million bugs).

Though the Xiticix constantly encroached on the Kingdom of Tolkeen and there would have been eventual conflict, the insectoids saw the Tolkeenites as the dominant force in the region and held off. However, with the dramatic fall of Tolkeen and the mass exodus of its people, to the Xiticix, this indicates the region is "up for grabs," and the Coalition Army a new competitor for the land. This in and of itself could cause the Xiticix of the hives bordering on or located in upper Minnesota to expand into the now unclaimed (as they see it) land south of them, as well as offer new opportunities for the half dozen new queens about to splinter from the established hives. The expansion of the Duluth Hive has already begun and Crookston and Fargo should soon follow.

That first sentence shows that the xiticix were ready, willing, and able to start moving into that territory the moment Tolkeen wasn't an issue, something that the bugs wouldn't do (not in more than outpost numbers, anyway) if they weren't at their full population levels.
This passage doesn't explain why the bugs are expanding (that was already explained in the first two passages I quoted), it explains why they're expanding into the Tolkeen area.
When competing for resources, you first grab the resources that the competition is after.
Furthermore, the second to last sentence shows that the Xiticix had a half-dozen new queens already about to splinter from established hives- the fall of Tolkeen only provided them with a good opportunity to actually do so.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:Going by the Xiticix Book, it is already far too late. The time Lazlo wasted chillaxing at home and the CS spent wiping out civilizations, has given the Xiticix enough time to breed into an overwhelming force.

I dont know what their food source is.... but that sounds like a great solution!

That will fail because the bug will pick up their hive and relocate to an area where they can get more food (presumably people) and no one will have expected that.

The shocking end to Book 1! :lol:

Where can I read up more on the Minion War? I know next to nothing about it.

The problem with that is.... well. Look in a mirrior.... You've found a food source..... see the problem with starving um out? lol

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

As for the numbers... You guys realize the easiest way to knock those way way way way way down... for the writers is, right?

When we were kids, I remember there were some boys that would scour the playground and one would find a nice big black ant and another would find a nice big red ant... and they'd make a little ring and drop them in. And they'd fight.

If the Minion war doesn't take out a huge number of them (( which is possible))

I forsee that happening. It happened with Aliens too (( Xenomorphs, I.E. from the movie aliens)) but yeah.... that's the 'easy way'. Something happens, and one of the queens starts making her own. "Red" Xiticix. And they mass up and start attacking the black ones. Suddenly there's a bug civil war and they're dying by the millions and millions and then the powers that be swoop in and goosh the remains of the winners.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Pepsi Jedi wrote:As for the numbers... You guys realize the easiest way to knock those way way way way way down... for the writers is, right?

Yup.
Just ignore the fact that those numbers were ever written.
;)

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:As for the numbers... You guys realize the easiest way to knock those way way way way way down... for the writers is, right?

Yup.
;)

Well that too.. but I think a Bug on Bug war would be alot more fun. :)

Ravenwing
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.
;)

IDK, I kinda like the CS/LAzlo/FQ triple team effort idea.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ravenwing wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.
;)

Oh yeah. That's what I proposed back at the start..

I was referencing Bug on Bug war being more fun than the writers just giving a newer smaller number with no explanation. :)

Ravenwing
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.
;)

Oh yeah. That's what I proposed back at the start..

I was referencing Bug on Bug war being more fun than the writers just giving a newer smaller number with no explanation. :)

Yeah, no smaller number stuff. But it would be nice if they'd have let Lazlo go ahead with it's war to begin with. Now that they've Retconned that part, it'd be nice to include Lazlo in the war effort.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ravenwing wrote:
Yeah, no smaller number stuff. But it would be nice if they'd have let Lazlo go ahead with it's war to begin with. Now that they've Retconned that part, it'd be nice to include Lazlo in the war effort.

I still think the Minion war book is going to start out with the CS and Lazlo "Finally" Marching northward to take on the Bugs, then getting diverted to have to stop the minion war thing.

Ravenwing
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

I still think the Minion war book is going to start out with the CS and Lazlo "Finally" Marching northward to take on the Bugs, then getting diverted to have to stop the minion war thing.

That would be cool!

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ravenwing wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote: I still think the Minion war book is going to start out with the CS and Lazlo "Finally" Marching northward to take on the Bugs, then getting diverted to have to stop the minion war thing.

That would be cool!

Agreed.

the Captain
Wanderer

Unread post by the Captain »

Ravenwing wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

That would be cool!

I think it's more likely that the CS would hang back and let Lazlo weaken itself with the bugs, then go in and take them both out.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I don't think the CS will be marching north WITH Lazlo. Just at about the same time. Then when unholy demons come pouring out and taking up residence in and arould Calgary, Larsen's is going to be at ground zero. The CS and Lazlo will form up a sort of a Temp alliance to take out the unholy demons they can both agree is bad for everyone.

What happens after is up to debate.

1) Will the CS turn on Lazlo the instant the war is over and try and take them out?

2) Will they both nod once the war is done and sort of slink off to their respective corners.. then resume as it was before the war?

3) Or.... will working with the truly heroic individuals from lazlo, during the "DEMON WAR" make CS take a step back as a collective nation and maybe.. just maybe re-evaluate their stance?

Any of the three could happen. All three just as likely.

the Captain
Wanderer

I posted this on the "109 PA best hope for mankind" thread, but I think it fits in here.

the Captain wrote:We're talking about the Minion War, right?

Then I say the Xiticix. NOT intentionally mind you. They are just in the right place at the wrong time. Likely to see the encroaching demonic hordes as a threat and respond accordingly. If/when they do start fighting, the demons and the bugs, then hopefully the rest of the powers can just show up late and mop up.

Who will be in the best position after the outbreak? Free Quebec and the Federation of magic. I believe the CS will have it's resources taxed by both the Xiticix and the minion war, seriously they have to effectively travel very near or through the Hive Lands to get to Calgary. This will give other powers time to dig in and plan for the future. Think about it, the CS is coming off a somewhat Pyhrric victory over Tolkeen, and a short lived conflict with FQ. Just about every neighbor to the CS is starting to look at them as a bit of a threat.

Lazlo, NG and the others are just small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, with Tolkeen gone there is little chance for a "northern alliance" that has the strength and power to step it up. They too would have to bypass the bugs to actually deal with Calgary.

On the other side you have the Tundra Rangers, Ixion and some Cyber Knights that are now slightly nerfed against the supernatural. They are the most likely to work together, but not in the strongest position from a logistical standpoint..

Now pedaling back to the Xiticix issue. Many of us are assuming that the Calgary Rift is going to be ground zero for the minion war incursion, there might be some specific details about that, but I have not seen them. We have seen the Demons and Xiticix tango in the past, the whole Kremin foot note. If the hives split and some set up shop near Calgary or where ever the demons arrive, then I think we all know what will happen.

I think it's a safe bet to assume that the Xiticix issue and the Incursion will happen nearly simultaneously, and most of the "states" are going to be worse off when its all over.
the Captain
Wanderer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I don't think the CS will be marching north WITH Lazlo. Just at about the same time. Then when unholy demons come pouring out and taking up residence in and arould Calgary, Larsen's is going to be at ground zero. The CS and Lazlo will form up a sort of a Temp alliance to take out the unholy demons they can both agree is bad for everyone.

What happens after is up to debate.

1) Will the CS turn on Lazlo the instant the war is over and try and take them out?

2) Will they both nod once the war is done and sort of slink off to their respective corners.. then resume as it was before the war?

3) Or.... will working with the truly heroic individuals from lazlo, during the "DEMON WAR" make CS take a step back as a collective nation and maybe.. just maybe re-evaluate their stance?

Any of the three could happen. All three just as likely.

Oh, I know you didn't mean "arm in arm" but I think the CS is smart enough strategically, to let Lazlo drown itself in the issue. Also it's in the interest of the CS for NG and the Manistique imperium to need a little "rescuing" from the boys in black.

My perspective on your points.

1) If Lazlo is seen as weak and easy pickings, then name one good reason why not? They certainly are not friends and the CS sees Lazlo as a Threat to it's ideology.

2) Sure, if the CS has wounds to lick, then maybe.

3) Long shot, take the Kremin event, the CS characterized it as a Kremin invasion with their Demonic allies, that they thwarted. I can't see the CS changing the way it plays the game.

If the hives do split, the real issue for Lazlo would be having one in their back yard. They might not have to march anywhere, and that might take all their resources while the Incursion is going down.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Ravenwing wrote:Ok, so now that the Bug Problem is just about to explode over with it's massive population, and the CS is about to go to war with them, what do you think the chances of Lazlo getting involved are?

I don't see FQ getting into it, as far as they're concerned the Bugs are a CS problem. Admittedly the Minion War might spill over into the Buglands, but I kinda figure that will be more in Europe then NA.

Lazlo is already in the fight with the bugs ..

And I see Atlantis putting more into the fight with the bugs as well but not enough to make people realize just how powa .. they truly are hehe
Ravenwing
Hero

Lenwen wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Ok, so now that the Bug Problem is just about to explode over with it's massive population, and the CS is about to go to war with them, what do you think the chances of Lazlo getting involved are?

And I see Atlantis putting more into the fight with the bugs as well but not enough to make people realize just how powa .. they truly are hehe

I was under the impression that the Lazlo war against the Bugs was Retconned out?

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ravenwing wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

I was under the impression that the Lazlo war against the Bugs was Retconned out?

It's not Retaconned out. It's just one of those "We see it's a problem and are heading up there "Soon"tm. They've sent some scouts up and are gearing up to do something but it hasn't been 'Done'. It's one of those open ended things.

Ravenwing
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

It's not Retaconned out. It's just one of those "We see it's a problem and are heading up there "Soon"tm. They've sent some scouts up and are gearing up to do something but it hasn't been 'Done'. It's one of those open ended things.

Ahhh, I see.
So does the CS perspective on Lazlo fighting that war still apply?

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ravenwing wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Ahhh, I see.
So does the CS perspective on Lazlo fighting that war still apply?

We don't really know. Last update is Aftermath. We'restuck with that for the next year or two till the Minion war book comes out.

OR... if it's mentioned in NG1 or NG2.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Well that too.. but I think a Bug on Bug war would be alot more fun. :)

Has anyone read SANDKINGS or seen the episode of THE OUTER LIMITS by the same name?

Maybe something like that could work.... ;)
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I say just rift the bugs to Hades and Dyval. Nail two birds with one stone :P
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Well that too.. but I think a Bug on Bug war would be alot more fun. :)

Has anyone read SANDKINGS or seen the episode of THE OUTER LIMITS by the same name?

I saw the outer limits episode!

Actually, I've been thinking for a while now that it'd be kind of neat if there were some enemy bugs native to the Xiticix homeworld.
Yellow ant-men was my idea.
Essentially similar to the Xiticix, only with different TW tech, different (though similar) capabilities and power levels, and better burrowing capability instead of flight.
The homeworld would have two primary continents, the main continent being populated by the Xiticix, and the other continent being populated by the yellow ant-men creatures, neither being able to effectively launch an attack at the other, due to the extremely heavy infestation of the other race on the other continent.

But if you want to go with Palladium Canon, import a bunch of ants from Mars.
It's official that they and the Xiticix would see each other as natural enemies, and you could arm the ants with lasers and other weapons to help give them the edge.
Of course, their victory would lead to other problems.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

I saw the outer limits episode!

Actually, I've been thinking for a while now that it'd be kind of neat if there were some enemy bugs native to the Xiticix homeworld.
Yellow ant-men was my idea.

I'd have a Coalition Scientist who had been studying captured Tix synthesize a chemical that made the Tix recognize him as a queen and respond to his will. Then (perhaps driven slightly mad by the chemical or because he'd never been important before) didn't immediately tell his colleagues that he'd made the breakthrough they'd been working on. After a few generations the Tix would evolve and simply change from black to say deep red... at first this would be a simply curiosity to further feed his obsessions... and when his co-workers stumbled on his secret he would feed them to the Tix. Eventually his folly would appear to cost him his life and the red Tix would flee and build their own nest and their numbers would begin growing rapidly. Of course the formula that could control them would be lost... a shame really... if used correctly it might've been able to save a lot of lives.

What no one knows is that the chemical had turned him into some sort of horrible Tix hybrid and now he lives as their king/god producing new red children and mobilizing his hive with a malevolent human intelligence.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

I see some MAJOR ideas flowing in this thread and couldn't help but to drop my own.

Pepsi Jedi the ALIENS:Genocide series was truly an epic battle between aliens or should I say Hive Queens living to close to together. The issue or concern would be hive A Xiticix and hive B "if" they opted to engage each other, they would be shaking the hornets nest to such a point that they both could become far more hostile & territorial and so would their need for resources to fuel their fight against each other.

I think the best way to truly deal with the Xiticix is to follow the Dr. Desmond Bradford methodology but simply do it more aggressively. The Xiticix Killer is an introduced CS engineered predator and is no major threat to the CS nor doe sit utilize an abundance of CS resources. Reintroducing far more Xiticix Killers perhaps a few new variants so its familiar enough to the bugs & everyone else and perceived maybe as mutations or magical anomalies (let Lazlo take the blame :lol: ). Enhance these new X-Killers with a much higher reproduction rate would be a helpful boost. Then introducing various new apex predators at different season intervals upon bug territories could also help stabilize the Xiticix numbers across a feasible time span. Particularly make a predatory species that is awesome at tunneling and that can get deep enough to get to the brood before being killed. This worked in Yellowstone when coyote numbers were rampant and wolves were re-introduced. This works in habitats like Siberia where tigers reduce & affect major wolf populations and habitats. The Xiticix need to live sympatric with other Apex predators ( even if secretly designed to only predate the bugs) to restore their natural ecosystem balance from wherever they originated and yet not perceived by Xiticix as a major war effort against them. This way they don't go attacking the CS, NG, etc., and their bug numbers get reduced every year proportionately. Creatures that live and feed off of Xiticix and reproduce at such a nice rate could place a ecological balance on the bugs, making it easier to wipe them out once they get numbers down to a feasible figure or estimate that is. This could reduce the overall bug numbers naturally and effectively every year round and the CS doesn't have to invest major resources of troops, supplies, robots etc. to do it. The new predators could do it all naturally.

If this doesn't satisfy the CS then at least some considerable numbers were culled off, and the hives stay stressed or conditionally pressured before the inevitable onslaught... Flood the bastards with some form of explosive non-olfactory sensitive toxic oil/chemical after glazing the hive with bunker buster like bomb runs (only the Leapers are good swimmers) and then begin the killing fields.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Premier wrote:I see some MAJOR ideas flowing in this thread and couldn't help but to drop my own.

Pepsi Jedi the ALIENS:Genocide series was truly an epic battle between aliens or should I say Hive Queens living to close to together. The issue or concern would be hive A Xiticix and hive B "if" they opted to engage each other, they would be shaking the hornets nest to such a point that they both could become far more hostile & territorial and so would their need for resources to fuel their fight against each other.

I think the best way to truly deal with the Xiticix is to follow the Dr. Desmond Bradford methodology but simply do it more aggressively. The Xiticix Killer is an introduced CS engineered predator and is no major threat to the CS nor doe sit utilize an abundance of CS resources. Reintroducing far more Xiticix Killers perhaps a few new variants so its familiar enough to the bugs & everyone else and perceived maybe as mutations or magical anomalies (let Lazlo take the blame :lol: ). Enhance these new X-Killers with a much higher reproduction rate would be a helpful boost. Then introducing various new apex predators at different season intervals upon bug territories could also help stabilize the Xiticix numbers across a feasible time span. Particularly make a predatory species that is awesome at tunneling and that can get deep enough to get to the brood before being killed. This worked in Yellowstone when coyote numbers were rampant and wolves were re-introduced. This works in habitats like Siberia where tigers reduce & affect major wolf populations and habitats. The Xiticix need to live sympatric with other Apex predators ( even if secretly designed to only predate the bugs) to restore their natural ecosystem balance from wherever they originated and yet not perceived by Xiticix as a major war effort against them. This way they don't go attacking the CS, NG, etc., and their bug numbers get reduced every year proportionately. Creatures that live and feed off of Xiticix and reproduce at such a nice rate could place a ecological balance on the bugs, making it easier to wipe them out once they get numbers down to a feasible figure or estimate that is. This could reduce the overall bug numbers naturally and effectively every year round and the CS doesn't have to invest major resources of troops, supplies, robots etc. to do it. The new predators could do it all naturally.

If this doesn't satisfy the CS then at least some considerable numbers were culled off, and the hives stay stressed or conditionally pressured before the inevitable onslaught... Flood the bastards with some form of explosive non-olfactory sensitive toxic oil/chemical after glazing the hive with bunker buster like bomb runs (only the Leapers are good swimmers) and then begin the killing fields.

Well the bug on bug war thing I put forth, culls the bug population in a sort of M.A.D. situation. They fight and killeach other off. And if the "Red" Bugs come about. They don't need to breed up to "Black" numbers. The queens have IQ's over 20 I think. the queens themselves could simply side with one side or the other in a good old fashioned power grab or "better for my hive" Sort of situation. Suddenly 5 Hives here are sporting red paint/dye jobs on their armor and 5 hives there are black and suddenly. CLASH millions dead on both sides.
Mutual Assured Destruction, but with bug armies in the millions instead of bombs.

That's the 'ease' of the proposed situation. the CS doesn't have to do anythingg. NOONE has to do anything. One bug queen that gets hit with the wrong mystical energies from a rift might go rogue and suddenly the bugs are killing each OTHER off till they are at 'managable levels".... and if either side gets too big.. the other side rallys to slaughter them back down to that... "Acceptable" level.

Which just so happens to not be enough to take out earth.

It's the easiest for the 'writers' to do and they don't have to go into science or psudo-science or anything, or change the bugs in a fashion that has people crying like with the Holmes thing.

People are still crying (( or ***** mad)) about that one years later andd that was a mind and easy to explain change.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

A potential deadly weapon against the xiticix would be something that either neutralized all odors, or neutralized their sense of smell.
They wouldn't be able to recognize each other as being of the same hive, and even if they did, a LOT of chaos would ensue.

the Captain
Wanderer

Killer Cyborg wrote:A potential deadly weapon against the xiticix would be something that either neutralized all odors, or neutralized their sense of smell.
They wouldn't be able to recognize each other as being of the same hive, and even if they did, a LOT of chaos would ensue.

If only we had an odor elimination spell. Imagine the effect of some TW grenades or bombs slung into a hive. You know, thinking about this, are there any spells that even deal with scent or odor?

You would think there would at least be an Ungodly Stench spell, or maybe Eliminate Scent and Odors if your being tracked by blood hounds etc.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Look through the Ludicrous mage. I'm sure they have some sort of stinkbomb thing.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

the Captain wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:A potential deadly weapon against the xiticix would be something that either neutralized all odors, or neutralized their sense of smell.

If only we had an odor elimination spell. Imagine the effect of some TW grenades or bombs slung into a hive. You know, thinking about this, are there any spells that even deal with scent or odor?

You would think there would at least be an Ungodly Stench spell, or maybe Eliminate Scent and Odors if your being tracked by blood hounds etc.

For a TW weapon, you could try Globe of Silence combined with some kind of smell spell or something, and see if your GM allows it.

the Captain
Wanderer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
the Captain wrote:

For a TW weapon, you could try Globe of Silence combined with some kind of smell spell or something, and see if your GM allows it.

Good luck with an odor related spell, I don't know of a single one. Maybe there is something obscure, but I couldn't find a thing in the BoM. I even tried Minor Curse, but none of the effects are scent related... Seems we have found an area lacking in coverage in the spell department. Which strikes me as a bit of an oversight, as many other senses are covered and SO many animals track by scent. Even a Cover Scent spell would not be without use.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

the Captain wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
the Captain wrote:

Good luck with an odor related spell, I don't know of a single one. Maybe there is something obscure, but I couldn't find a thing in the BoM. I even tried Minor Curse, but none of the effects are scent related... Seems we have found an area lacking in coverage in the spell department. Which strikes me as a bit of an oversight, as many other senses are covered and SO many animals track by scent. Even a Cover Scent spell would not be without use.

Then make one. TtGD has rules for making new spells.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Cleanse should get rid of odres. :)

Return to “Rifts®”