This will be NEW in Rifts Vampire Kingdoms

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DBX
Hero

This will be NEW in Rifts Vampire Kingdoms

Unread post by DBX »

copy/paste from latest murmur (blurb highlighted by me)

EVERYTHING you expect to be in the book is there, only with much more detail, explanation, clarification and grittiness. People will see that vampires are one of the greatest threats on the planet. Do not think for a minute that I’ve softened vampires in any way. If anything, they are more scary and dangerous than ever.

What’s new in Rifts® Vampire Kingdoms? So very much. I think I’ll end up rewriting every word or 80% of it. There is more background and info about vampires, what they are, how they function, their many powers, why they kill, how they kill, how they fight, vampire strategies and tactics, their hierarchy, and their kingdoms. There is the Deluded Vampire and Vampire Hunter O.C.C. I can’t believe I did not have a Vampire Hunter O.C.C. in the original book. And much much more – Desert travel and survival rules, travel through Mexico, a typical village, the Vampire Kingdoms, Archie, Republicans and more! Even the descriptions of El Paso and Juarez have been cleaned up, updated and tweaked. On a personal level, I’m a much improved writer, and I often cringe at the original text as I make it better. Wow was the original Vampire Kingdoms book poorly organized. That’s all fixed now. I guess I can’t be too hard on myself, I mean it was World Book “One” but yikes. Of course, it was packed with so many ideas, characters, and adventuring material that I can see how it sold something like 120,000 copies despite its weaknesses. The new version will be that much better. I just wish the writing was going even faster, because I want Rifts® Vampire Kingdoms out yesterday. Rifts® Lemuria too.
Last edited by DBX on Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: What's new in Rifts Vampire Kingdoms

Unread post by Tiree »

Oh and don't forget - Burles artwork!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I wonder if my regret-filled, bitter, updated Erin Tarn letter made it in...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
taalismn
Priest

Re: This will be NEW in Rifts Vampire Kingdoms

Unread post by taalismn »

Gonna have to research more effective anti-vamp weapons. Hate them bloodsuckers. Pompous, arrogant, talking ticks.... :nh: :nh: :nh:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Couldn't care less. Vampires MORE dangerous than they already were? :frust: Who gives rat's behind about their tactics, they're stupid bloodsuckers. Deluded Vampire? Deluded author is more like it. If he's such an improved writer why don't we have IMPORTANT books like Lemuria or Australia 2 already. You know, books that were promised A DECADE AGO!!!!
Rifts Lemuria SHOULD have been out "Yesterday", like 15 years yesterday.
Vampire Hunter OCC; Sh'yeah right just what we need another useles OCC that can more easily and effectively be fulfilled by ANY current OCC.
How about Floorplans for Chi-town, Lone star, other CS cities? How about more info on Northern Gun? or Lazlo or New Lazlo? How about Ixion?
How about, for once, a group that actually CAN oppose the CS effectively? Instead of his Republicans and their impossible dream of defeating the CS w/ less than 500 troops.
Vampire Kingdoms was poorly organized!? :roll: 90% of what he writes is poorly organized!
Oh, wow he actually re-read ONE of his books, when he doesn't bother to re-read ANY of his other books?! :x
Rewriting Vampire Kingdoms does LESS than nothing to flesh out the rest of Rifts Earth, a task that he has (apparently) effectively abandoned.
I thank him from the bottom of my heart for creating Rifts but he has utterly FAILED to produce much of what the game REALLY needs for the better part of a decade. Is it any wonder sales for his game has fallen badly over the years?

Warning: User warned for trolling. - NMI
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

keir451 wrote:Couldn't care less. Vampires MORE dangerous than they already were? :frust: Who gives rat's behind about their tactics, they're stupid bloodsuckers.

I care, for one.
And considering all the people who STILL complain that vampires are too easy to fight, I think some elaboration on their tactics could help them get the picture.

Deluded Vampire? Deluded author is more like it. If he's such an improved writer why don't we have IMPORTANT books like Lemuria or Australia 2 already.

"Important?"
I couldn't care less about either of those books.
I mean, seriously, how many people really use the Underseas book?
And he's got a pretty good reason for nixing the second Australia book, according to him.
Screw that; I'm still waiting for Chi-Town or some of the other key locations in North America.

Vampire Hunter OCC; Sh'yeah right just what we need another useles OCC that can more easily and effectively be fulfilled by ANY current OCC.

Yeah... that's kind of my reaction as well.

How about Floorplans for Chi-town, Lone star, other CS cities? How about more info on Northern Gun? or Lazlo or New Lazlo? How about Ixion?

NOW we're talkin'! :ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

frogboy wrote:I am curious about the deluded vampire. Is this a wannabe like the juicer wannabe from juicer uprising ?

Interesting thought!

Or maybe it's a vampire who thinks it's a human.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I don't think there would be any need to do a write up for Vamps who think they are human, they would only think so for about 12 hours until the sun kills them.
Wannabe Vampires could be interesting, reminds me of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but the class name for them would be more akin to "Vampire Snack".
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
keir451 wrote:Couldn't care less. Vampires MORE dangerous than they already were? :frust: Who gives rat's behind about their tactics, they're stupid bloodsuckers.

I care, for one.
And considering all the people who STILL complain that vampires are too easy to fight, I think some elaboration on their tactics could help them get the picture.

Deluded Vampire? Deluded author is more like it. If he's such an improved writer why don't we have IMPORTANT books like Lemuria or Australia 2 already.

"Important?"
I couldn't care less about either of those books.
I mean, seriously, how many people really use the Underseas book?
And he's got a pretty good reason for nixing the second Australia book, according to him.
Screw that; I'm still waiting for Chi-Town or some of the other key locations in North America.

Yeah... that's kind of my reaction as well.

NOW we're talkin'! :ok:

What picture? Vamps is Vamps, all they want to do is conquer the world and suck blood.
I and my gamers use Underseas quite bit, so the info on Lemuria is of geater importance to me than the supposed tactics of Vampires.
Kevin had a good reason for nixing Australia 2? Possibly but doubtful IMO.
I can live w/out more vampires, I think they're pretty stupid as is, but (like you in this case) would really LOVE to have more info on the happenings in North America
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

How can a monster be one of the deadliest threats in the world if it can be killed by sprinklers and the contents of my spice cabinet?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

rat_bastard wrote:How can a monster be one of the deadliest threats in the world if it can be killed by sprinklers and the contents of my spice cabinet?

So you carry your sprinklers everywhere you go and your spice cabinet?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Nightmask wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:How can a monster be one of the deadliest threats in the world if it can be killed by sprinklers and the contents of my spice cabinet?

It's dangerous BECAUSE the great Kevin S. has it rigged so ONLY your sprinklers and the contents of your spice cabinet can kill it. Oh and HIS so-called magic system which barely works as is.
Fire? Only if you cut off his head.
Nuclear Weapons? Inexpicably immune.
World Shattering Energy weapons? Also inexplicably immune.
Railguns? No effect except maybe knockdown.
Missiles? Inexpicably regenrates from being blown to tiny little pieces.
So ONLY the contents of your spice cabinet, your sprinklers and a wooden stake are even remotley effective.
Yeah, that's SOOOO easy to kill.
"Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile." (Hiccup Horrendus Haddock the 3rd, How to Train Your Dragon)
Check Please!!
Warning: User warned for further trolling. - NMI
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

Nightmask wrote:

He has the garden sprinklers attached to his full conversion borg body with a small moister-gatherer to fill up the watertank, and yes he loves his spice racket and has it in a armoured MDC briefcase, for use with his Track/trap animal and cooking skills.
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Damn ... this thread turned nasty fast. I'm looking forward to this book. If you are sooo disappointed by Kev & his books why are you here? Sure there are things I'd love to see for PB & RIFTS in general..such as the missing BTS 2nd ed books & Deep South books. But I liked the original VK book & from the hints given by Alex say anything I should love the updated version...sans the Burle's art. Nix that now!!!
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Kinda like asking how Achilles could be a badass if he can be killed by stabbing him in the heel.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

keir451 wrote:What picture? Vamps is Vamps, all they want to do is conquer the world and suck blood.

That's all anybody wants.
It's how they go about getting it that's interesting.

I and my gamers use Underseas quite bit, so the info on Lemuria is of geater importance to me than the supposed tactics of Vampires.

If you and your gamers agree to buy a few thousand copies each, that might get the wheels rolling.

Why's that?

I can live w/out more vampires, I think they're pretty stupid as is, but (like you in this case) would really LOVE to have more info on the happenings in North America

We can agree on that last part, at least. :ok:

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

The only thing I'm concerned about is a repeat of the Conversion Book 1 "revision" where one fantastic book got revised into two mediocre books. Which book is the actual stats on Vampires going to appear in?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
keir451 wrote:What picture? Vamps is Vamps, all they want to do is conquer the world and suck blood.

That's all anybody wants.
It's how they go about getting it that's interesting.

If you and your gamers agree to buy a few thousand copies each, that might get the wheels rolling.

Why's that?

We can agree on that last part, at least. :ok:

Does he have a good reason for nixing Australia 2? I haven't even heard a reason yet, that's why I'm doubtful.
That and he's tried this whole "revision thing" before w/the RUE and the Republicans, THAT was a bucket of fail. I hate having to flip to the BACK of the book to get my skills and character creation information. Material as important as that should be near the front of the book. And the Republicans are just a minor mirror image of the CS with LESS awesomeness.
Then, like grandmaster z0b, is this going to be another case of him splitting one book into two and nerfing anything that could harm his vampires? Don't get me wrong I think Vampires make great one time enemies, but that's it. This whole "nation of Vampires" and "evil intelligences" has gotten a bit old. There is NO effective way to destroy a nation of beings who are immune (by author fiat and nothing else) to your deadliest weapons.
What I really want is more story development for North America and more ways to kill vampires. Of course I ignore the whole "immune to radiation" thing and nuke them into oblivion. But enough of that arguement. Yeah I do agree w/you on the stuff regarding Chi-town. :ok:
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

deluded vampire could be the "sparkly" "romantic" variety of vampires
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Killer Cyborg wrote:And he's got a pretty good reason for nixing the second Australia book, according to him.

I wonder what the author thinks about the breach of contract.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

My main problem with vampires is the will not use tech, magic or full environmental armor if they can use their natural abilities thing, if they could stuff full environmental armor with grave dirt and use it like normal people and did not lose their OCC abilities I could see them being pretty damn scary, but as it is there is almost nothing they can do against someone who is prepared to fight normal non vampire demons.

Rifts vampires are easier to kill than dead reign zombies, you actually have to beat a AR with the zombies and they don't melt in water. Since for all their ability to reason they still have the behavior patterns of a common junkie you can out think the wisest of them and cause them to overreach and since a third have some sort of energy weapons and the weapons that are most effective against them are cheap you can make a good profit hunting them.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Kinda like asking how Achilles could be a badass if he can be killed by stabbing him in the heel.

only if Achilles melted in the rain,

or the sun.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Vampires are vampires overall. Why does it need revision ? It doesn't.
Kevin should just release the Vampire Sourcebook to include any new information or ideas.
Now IF Kevin is actuall rewritting his Rifts Vampires 100% i could see rewritting the book. If he did, he should use the Rifter #49 Vampires as they are actually threats.

I'd rather see new Books than revised books. New Books can Update the timeline for areas related to them.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

TechnoGothic wrote:Vampires are vampires overall. Why does it need revision ? It doesn't.
Kevin should just release the Vampire Sourcebook to include any new information or ideas.
Now IF Kevin is actuall rewritting his Rifts Vampires 100% i could see rewritting the book. If he did, he should use the Rifter #49 Vampires as they are actually threats.

I'd rather see new Books than revised books. New Books can Update the timeline for areas related to them.

I'm in genaral agreement (with the sole exception of the Vampire Sourcebook or New Vampire World book of course :D ), I believe Rifts is in need of newer material that furhter progresses areas of the original story elements.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

only if Achilles melted in the rain,
or the sun.

To be fair, pretty much anything melts if you toss it in the sun.
:p

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Republicans
really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so in this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

If Kevin and Braden out-awesomed my vampires from Arzno, I'm gonna be SOOOO PISSSED!

;)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Grinning Demon
Explorer

Unread post by Grinning Demon »

TechnoGothic wrote:Vampires are vampires overall. Why does it need revision ? It doesn't.

I think we NEED a Dinosaur Swamp 3. Two books on this important region simply isn't enough.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

:eek: :eek:

What's with the venom??

Did Kevin personally go to that guy's house and kick his mother in the head or something? I felt the rage -not just artistic and editorial disagreement with the Author/Owner, but rage -over the Internet and through my monitor screen as I was reading the words.

If one wants to see a certain Book badly enough, one is always free to submit a new piece of work to Palladium Books and have the authors there approve and edit it, yes? Of course, it ain't as easy as it looks, and perhaps we should try to remember that this applies to the Author as well. ;)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Grinning Demon wrote:

I think we NEED a Dinosaur Swamp 3. Two books on this important region simply isn't enough.

Lets have a better reason for mdc dinos while were at it.
Import a Splicer House off the coast of Florida in the swamps. All the Mega-animals so hostile are there creation, but they leave the Splicers alone.
Give quick stats and use Proto-Host Armors only in the DS3, but point readers to Splicers for the Full Rules to create True Host Armors and more ....
Maybe the Splicers came through the Timeholes or other Rifts...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

TechnoGothic wrote:
Grinning Demon wrote:

Lets have a better reason for mdc dinos while were at it.
Import a Splicer House off the coast of Florida in the swamps. All the Mega-animals so hostile are there creation, but they leave the Splicers alone.
Give quick stats and use Proto-Host Armors only in the DS3, but point readers to Splicers for the Full Rules to create True Host Armors and more ....
Maybe the Splicers came through the Timeholes or other Rifts...

Now THAT would be cool!!!!!!
TechnoGothic
Knight

The Rifter #49 Vampires are much more playable as PCs. Which is a reason i like them.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Nightmask
Palladin

TechnoGothic wrote:The Rifter #49 Vampires are much more playable as PCs. Which is a reason i like them.

Odd you'd mention that right after I come back from Marcon, as to my surprise other than an issue of that there were no other Palladium books for sale at the entire con. I was shocked that the dealers I was used to seeing having a good selection of Palladium books hadn't brought any to the con (too bad Kevin didn't pick this year to be at Marcon like he did some years back). I hope the newer books are dynamite because I don't want to see Palladium going into the 'dead game' bargain bin and I don't want to see that happen again.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Nightmask wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:The Rifter #49 Vampires are much more playable as PCs. Which is a reason i like them.

Odd you'd mention that right after I come back from Marcon, as to my surprise other than an issue of that there were no other Palladium books for sale at the entire con. I was shocked that the dealers I was used to seeing having a good selection of Palladium books hadn't brought any to the con (too bad Kevin didn't pick this year to be at Marcon like he did some years back). I hope the newer books are dynamite because I don't want to see Palladium going into the 'dead game' bargain bin and I don't want to see that happen again.

Unfortunately I've seen that too often in some of the game stores I've been in. Here, in the area of Michigan in currently in< the only Palladium books are the ones in the Dead Bin, back in Colorado I had better luck getting my "Palladium Fix" by hitting up used book stores and buying Palladium books that others had given up (not that I complained ove rthe discount mind you :D ).
Grinning Demon
Explorer

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
keir451 wrote:Couldn't care less. Vampires MORE dangerous than they already were? :frust: Who gives rat's behind about their tactics, they're stupid bloodsuckers. Deluded Vampire? Deluded author is more like it. If he's such an improved writer why don't we have IMPORTANT books like Lemuria or Australia 2 already. You know, books that were promised A DECADE AGO!!!!
How about, for once, a group that actually CAN oppose the CS effectively? Instead of his Republicans and their impossible dream of defeating the CS w/ less than 500 troops.
Vampire Kingdoms was poorly organized!? :roll: 90% of what he writes is poorly organized!
Oh, wow he actually re-read ONE of his books, when he doesn't bother to re-read ANY of his other books?! :x
Rewriting Vampire Kingdoms does LESS than nothing to flesh out the rest of Rifts Earth, a task that he has (apparently) effectively abandoned.
I thank him from the bottom of my heart for creating Rifts but he has utterly FAILED to produce much of what the game REALLY needs for the better part of a decade. Is it any wonder sales for his game has fallen badly over the years?

I totally agree with what you're saying. And it needs to be said, often and loudly.

I need an update to Rifts Vampires about as much as I need another book about the Coalition military. It's ridiculous.

It's very frustrating for some fans to see what Kevin and Co have been doing, instead of what they should be doing.

+1
The only way Rifts is ever going to get the overhaul you're referring to is if/when Kevin passes on (God forbid) and whomever he leaves the rights to decides to sell them to a major gaming company. Again, I'm not wishing ill will on anyone just facing the reality of the situation. For me, I love the world and recognize the other short comings but still manage to have fun.
Nightmask
Palladin

Grinning Demon wrote:+1
The only way Rifts is ever going to get the overhaul you're referring to is if/when Kevin passes on (God forbid) and whomever he leaves the rights to decides to sell them to a major gaming company. Again, I'm not wishing ill will on anyone just facing the reality of the situation. For me, I love the world and recognize the other short comings but still manage to have fun.

That wouldn't guarantee that the overhaul actually improved things mind you. Someone could completely revamp things and have it end up worse rather than better. Which makes it a good thing that the players (and the GM is included in that, he may be running it but he's still playing) can change things as desired to make it more playable for them.

Grinning Demon
Explorer

Nightmask wrote:

That wouldn't guarantee that the overhaul actually improved things mind you. Someone could completely revamp things and have it end up worse rather than better. Which makes it a good thing that the players (and the GM is included in that, he may be running it but he's still playing) can change things as desired to make it more playable for them.

In all fairness I think it'd be hard to end up with something worse. Also a revision/complete overhaul of the rules many think will bring back the scores of disgruntled former players and restore Rifts to it's glory days of the early-mid 90's (myself included)
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Grinning Demon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

In all fairness I think it'd be hard to end up with something worse. Also a revision/complete overhaul of the rules many think will bring back the scores of disgruntled former players and restore Rifts to it's glory days of the early-mid 90's (myself included)

Permit me to doubt. There had been examples of re.hauls that never wokred that well and others that worked awesomely.
So is 50/50 chance.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

keir451 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Unfortunately I've seen that too often in some of the game stores I've been in. Here, in the area of Michigan in currently in< the only Palladium books are the ones in the Dead Bin, back in Colorado I had better luck getting my "Palladium Fix" by hitting up used book stores and buying Palladium books that others had given up (not that I complained ove rthe discount mind you :D ).

Just goes to show how one gamer's experience is just that, one gamer's experience. Here in the UK my FLGS is well stocked with Palladium's books.

Availability aside, I pretty much disagree with your invective above. Whilst I'm sure the Vampire Hunter OCC won't be of much use to me, an update on Mexico and it's Vampire nations is welcome as well as more info on Doc Reid. I was happy with the SB1 reboot, so I'm optimistic about WB1:R and it's higher on my list than Lemuria, no matter how gorgeous its cover looks.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
TechnoGothic
Knight

but we have Vampire Kingdoms already. As said, unless the vampires are 100% rewritten i dont want or need a revised book. I did not find RUE useful to be honest either. Have not seen SB1R, so cant say if its good or bad. CB1r/DC sucked...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
keir451 wrote:Couldn't care less. Vampires MORE dangerous than they already were? :frust: Who gives rat's behind about their tactics, they're stupid bloodsuckers. Deluded Vampire? Deluded author is more like it. If he's such an improved writer why don't we have IMPORTANT books like Lemuria or Australia 2 already. You know, books that were promised A DECADE AGO!!!!

I totally agree with what you're saying. And it needs to be said, often and loudly.

I need an update to Rifts Vampires about as much as I need another book about the Coalition military. It's ridiculous.

It's very frustrating for some fans to see what Kevin and Co have been doing, instead of what they should be doing.

I have said these exact same things, and no matter how well worded this message is, its still direct derision. There is no way to voice the dissenting opinion and not get warned or banned. People need to speak up more often about these issues. Kevins work really has been known to be poorly organized. Palladium really hasn't been able to deliver what they promise reliably, and in the case of some books, haven.t done so at all in over a decade. I know many people, devoted palladium users mostly, who rate a books typos and organization on whether or not its as bad as palladium has been known to be in the past.

I have a full library of over 3000 dollars worth of palladium books. I stopped buying a while ago because the company ceased meeting my wants and needs. I'm still waiting for a book I want two years later. I've been gone for about a year now, so Maybe something new and delicious is out, I haven't checked yet out of despair that the company has failed me.

Now the stuff added in the revisions is nice, but it isnt worth a full book, in price or subject matter. its worth the rifter or a sourcebook. Running a company like a pet project is the easiest way to fail as a business. I'd rather not see that happen, as I'd then have to track down all my favorite writers again, and the beautiful palladium settings would stop being fleshed out.

I'll let my fanboy friend buy the vampire book, and if its worth it, I'll go right ahead and personally apologize to Kevin, and buy it. But I see this rewrite as a waste of time and talent. I want a more robust and fleshed out world. Not a swisscheesed setting of tired rewrites. I'm not staying with palladium if they pull a D&D and just rewrite everything every few years.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

Hmm...
I am a bit afraid that this new World Book 1 will be a great disapointment.
To be honest, it feels as if he added some OOCs and added some fluff with the Republicans as he knows that will make people buy it.
What scares me even more is how much of WB1: Vampire Kingdom: revised that will be reprinted in vampire sourcebook and if it is really needed to have both books.

Though I am happy that I have influenced the local library to buy in the new Rifts books so that I can borrow them first before I decide to buy them or not.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

keir451 wrote:How about Floorplans for Chi-town, Lone star, other CS cities? How about more info on Northern Gun? or Lazlo or New Lazlo? How about Ixion?

I could not agree more.
Why were these books never written?!?
I mean common, 15-20 years of publishing books, and still nothing about the major governments or better maps than those crappy black and white who are Copied/pasted in almost every book.
How about a map over North America, like the awesome map that B. did online and poseted on his website/in this forum?
I would totally buy a book that detailed more info on Canadian/North American/Mexican cities and kingdoms, I find the frikking reaccountments of Erin Tarn so annoying, I want unbiased details of the cities, not accounts of her book. It is so 1990's Get over her and have her die of old age. Let the poor woman retire or I will call the Senior Citizen Organization of lazlo and demand to put her to a retirement home.

I do not agree about the Republican, I like them, but they need to be more realistical and smart if they are to win.
I would like to see someone who has actually some kind of tactical /strategical knowhow to do something funwith them.
Even I can make better ideas for them than trying to take over CS they way it is written.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Braden Campbell wrote:I wonder if my regret-filled, bitter, updated Erin Tarn letter made it in...

REALLY?! Now I'M interested!!
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Dunia wrote:Hmm...
I am a bit afraid that this new World Book 1 will be a great disapointment.
To be honest, it feels as if he added some OOCs and added some fluff with the Republicans as he knows that will make people buy it.
What scares me even more is how much of WB1: Vampire Kingdom: revised that will be reprinted in vampire sourcebook and if it is really needed to have both books.

Though I am happy that I have influenced the local library to buy in the new Rifts books so that I can borrow them first before I decide to buy them or not.

Smart move Dunia!
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

TechnoGothic wrote:but we have Vampire Kingdoms already. As said, unless the vampires are 100% rewritten i dont want or need a revised book. I did not find RUE useful to be honest either. Have not seen SB1R, so cant say if its good or bad. CB1r/DC sucked...

I have found for the most part the revisions are a welcome have. Return of the Masters - must have. CB1 - not worth it. SB1 - very fun read and worth it (there should be excerpts on the forums). I am skeptical on WB1 because I use that as part of my games. In fact I only use The main book, SB1, and WB1 in my games. They show the dark and scary low powered rifts I play
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tiree wrote:They show the dark and scary low powered rifts I play

:ok:
Nice!

I've always said that those three are the most important, and the best, of all the Rifts books.

Which is my only concern about revising VK; it was already the best worldbook that Palladium ever put out, and no other book has equaled it's depth and richness as far as setting goes.
So my fear (and half-expectation) is that the revised version is going to make a great book into a mediocre book.
(though it doesn't sound like that based on what Kevin's been saying so far)

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Killer Cyborg wrote:(though it doesn't sound like that based on what Kevin's been saying so far)

well it's not like kevin is going to say "i am writing a totally sucktastic book that you are all going to hate", is it? obviously kevin thinks it's good, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. it isn't like there's any shortage of material to work on that would be forcing him to work on revising vampire kingdoms...
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:(though it doesn't sound like that based on what Kevin's been saying so far)

well it's not like kevin is going to say "i am writing a totally sucktastic book that you are all going to hate", is it? obviously kevin thinks it's good, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. it isn't like there's any shortage of material to work on that would be forcing him to work on revising vampire kingdoms...

lol

Not just that he thinks it's good, but that it sounds like he's going to go into more detail on how vampires think and act.
Basically, it sounds like there's going to be more detail, and that sound promising.

I'm just not getting my hopes up about it. ;)

TechnoGothic
Knight

I'll wait to see reviews posted around about it.
If ppl dont like, no biggie, i still have the original VK.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Rifts®”