Opinions wanted: the Spacer OCC

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Opinions wanted: the Spacer OCC

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

So... how many of you out there have actualyl played a Spacer?

Those of you that did, let me ask you why? What was it about the OCC that made you really want to play it, as opposed to the runner or Space Pirate which are far "sexier"?

What were your biggest gripes about the character class?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Opinions wanted: the Spacer OCC

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I have yet to play a Spacer O.C.C. but would. When I pick a O.C.C. I look at more then just the stats. If I wanted to play just a regular person plying the spacelanes then I would pick the Spacer as it would fit the planned background for my character. I don't think every O.C.C. needs to be sexy for it to be worth playing.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Never been afforded the oportunity to play one. Most of the GM's here (online that is) are pathelogically terrified of ANYTHING Phaseworld.
And those that aren't, tend to have NO background / context even in HARD sci-fi let alone space-opera.
Example; on at least 5 occasions I had a GM ask "What's space opera?"
Me = :eek: :frust:
No lie. :badbad:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Tyranneix
Explorer

Unread post by Tyranneix »

Shawn Merrow wrote:I have yet to play a Spacer O.C.C. but would. When I pick a O.C.C. I look at more then just the stats. If I wanted to play just a regular person plying the spacelanes then I would pick the Spacer as it would fit the planned background for my character. I don't think every O.C.C. needs to be sexy for it to be worth playing.

Agreed. I can see maybe adding some specialties, but for the most part... leave it alone... This O.C.C. probably represent at least 90% of people operating on starships in the 3Gs. Not everyone on a starship is glamorous and sexy. this could be the greasy engineer on that freighter your traveling on.

Not everyone's looking for sexy!
30+ year GM for the Palladium System; Robotech, RIFTS, Palladium Fantasy and other Palladium Books madness...
Nicknamed T-Bomb by Lord Z
501st Legion Member, Sandtrooper TD8732, Florida Garrison, Squad 7
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

DhAkael wrote:Never been afforded the oportunity to play one. Most of the GM's here (online that is) are pathelogically terrified of ANYTHING Phaseworld.
And those that aren't, tend to have NO background / context even in HARD sci-fi let alone space-opera.

I would have handed him my copies of the Lensman series
and told him to come back and talk to me after he had read the books...
if he still had to ask after that...
I would walk away (quickly; what ever he had might be contagious). :mrgreen:
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

I haven't had the opportunity to play one but I'd favor it in general over the Runner or Space Pirate in general. They could use some lanaguage/literacy skills as part of their basic package though, since not like they're traveling and meeting less than the Space Pirates and Runners. Given they're all traveling all over the place multiple languages that they can speak and read would seem mandatory as part of their root package.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think they need a set of abilities.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

gaby wrote:I think they need a set of abilities.

What sort of abilities? Specialized skills? Stat bonuses? Physical powers?
Expand on that thought and be more specific.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

Honestly I didn't played one yet, but the problem seems to be on power levels and the art of handling them.

Spacers aren't exceptionally good in their field, but still, they are the Average Joes, who keep the galactic
economy running.

In some regards they are the same stuff as the lowly Coalition Grunt. They are overshadowed by Borgs and
Commandoes (just to name two) in the CS military - but still, some stories cannot be told to superhuman
characters.

Same for squishy SDC spacers and - for example - Machine People.

On the top of my head scenario:
Your spacecraft if stranded in midspace, systems malfunctioning, sections already decompressed, you have only
a spacesuit with limited oxygen supply and only a sidearm with half a clip - while Ugglies are swarming out from
the last, contaminated cargo.
A human/wolfen spacer is in Trouble, with a capital T and need to think - a Machine People solves the problem by force and is
far from being in danger.

Which one is more fun to play in this story?

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

I think spacers aren't your average joe in space. after all they are a Player Character Joe. Spacers are independent crew who have some vested interest in their vehicle/enterprise they are engaged in. possibly "chewbacca" is a good example to see what a Spacer is

I think having a past for them is important. this should add and hinder them. Spacers could and should have a rich and varied background history. Why have they gotten into this role. what, why, who etc are they running and hiding from.

what do they hope to achieve.
This could be more than staying hidden and under the radar, should be more than owning their own ship or fleet to captain. do they want to make up the wrong they did in the past. make enough money to pay back debt, recover forgotten treasure, find a missing loved one

they could have various amounts/types of resources they bring to the table. they are supposed to be unpaid but get share of the profit or share of the enterprise the ship is engaged in. Their stats/blurb expansion should IMO reflect this. Something about them makes others agree to give them more than the average wage. A spacer could start of with a space vehicle, that another agrees to captain and crew for him, or a spacer could bring in valuable contacts, or know the whereabouts of a rich find - anything of value that another effectively agrees to go in partnership with a spacer

Many spacers could be AWOL/MIA soldiers, engineer and mechanics grown tired of working planet side, escaped convicts, colonists grown tired of their choice. The spacer past could be anything, but it should enrich and add to the character.

The book does say some of these spacers become runners and/or pirates. These Spacers could be the ones that didn't have anything to offer/gain from remaining a Spacer. They are the ones that are desperate, being a spacer wasn't a safe enough place for them.

An ideal Spacer would be the person or persons who stole the M'krii (SP?) Avenger plans from NE. Being Anonymous Spacers could be the only safe bet for them to stay ahead of the Repobots. A Spacer through his dealings and travelling can be seen as the City Rat of the Space Lanes
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Do remember that not all Spacers are going to be human either, there are a number of other races in the 3 Galaxies so if you don't mind playing a non-human you could find a race that's got some extras going for it even if it's just being an MDC race.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Abilities through light gene altering like Resistsnce muscular dystrophy,the characters can stay in Zero-g longer,lossing muscular health slower then a person without the altering.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

gaby wrote:Abilities through light gene altering like Resistance to muscular dystrophy, the characters can stay in Zero-g longer, losing muscular health slower then a person without the altering.

I'd make that a market biomod that costs credits to acquire, or is handed out as a part of specific species/services' military or mercantile programs(and no, I'm not naming them), rather than an inherent part of the OCC.
The basic Spacer OCC is exactly that; your basic grunt spacer, a bit more seasoned and skilled than a hired deckhand, apprentice or novice space traveller, deck-swabber, or weekend spacetraveller. The kind of person who can get a basic job aboard just about any commercial vessel and is most likely to be pressganged aboard military ones.

You can always load the guys down with cybernetics, genemods, and other tweaks later as your character/campaign progresses. Use the spacer OCCs from Mutants in Orbit or Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide if you want to have characters that could conceivably start with Super Abilities or other augments right of the bay, if you choose an appropriate alien species(consult Aliens Unlimited and make your own selection; there's plenty of them there).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Scorpion Leader
Explorer
Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Unread post by Scorpion Leader »

Well they could use a couple of new skills like Barter and/or Space Contacts (see:Mutants in Orbit or Rifts GM's Guide for the later).
These Skills could also come in handy for some other OCC's like the, Space Pirate, Galactic Tracer, Runner, Galactic Trader/Merchant, Galactic Diplomat (politician/Ambassador.
I'd also add Lore: Galatic/Alien (more for Space Legends and Tails in the Three Galaxies then anything else) and Navigation: Space to both the Spacer and the Space Pirate OCC's.
It's odd to have pilot spacecraft skills listed under both these OCC's but no Navigation: Space Skill.

A similar type of stituation also exists with the CAF Fleet Officer OCC as well (CAF trooper also in regards to Power Armor).
They have Pilot: Power Armor Combat Basic & Space Fighter Combat; but NO Actual Piloting Skill Listed for each (you need to be able to pilot it before you can take it into Combat, even at the Combat: Basic Level) and NO Navigation: Space skill!!
This type thing occurs in some of the other OCC/RCC's as well.

Otherwise I wouldn't mess with the Spacer OCC that much.
Besides like the the Colonist and Freedom Fighter OCC's are really that sexy!!
Last edited by Scorpion Leader on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer
Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

What we really need are the following OCC's (amoung other's):
Galactic Dipolmat (politician)/Ambassador OCC
Consortium GSA Agent OCC (This one is Long Over Due!!)
Consortium Dicovery Corps/Scouting Corps OCC's
Galactic Merchant/Trader OCC
Galactic News Reporter/(War) Correspondent OCC (Opps of course this may not be not sexy enough for you though Branden!! LOL!! :lol: )
TGE Fleet Officer OCC
The missing Terror Lizard Stats from Dimension Book Two: Phase World p.69 under the Seljuk RCC. Which were suppose to be in the Monsters section of said mentioned sourcebook but aren't.
Last edited by Scorpion Leader on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:What we really need are the following OCC's (amoung other's):
Galactic News Reporter/(War) Correspondent OCC (Opps of course this may not be not sexy enough for you though Branden!! LOL!! :lol: )
TGE Fleet Officer OCC
The missing Terror Lizard Stats from Dimension Book Two: Phase World p.69 under the Seljuk RCC. Which were suppose to be in the Monsters section of said mentioned sourcebook but aren't.

A CAF (and TGE) Special Operations (Forces) OCC would also be Pretty Cool to See!!!
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I loved my spacer. He was the guy everyone turned to to get things done. I made him a vagabond, of sorts. A citizen of the Consortium with a licensed small cargo vessel but no real home other than "The Grimtooth", his ship. I gave him all the stuff you would see on the space shuttle Enterprise, he used the spacer hard suit for armor, always had a can of spray metal (MDC duct tape). I invented a slew of average tools and gear that people in the 3G would have to live in space. I even made spacefaring and EVA so common for him he once took a nap outside the ship while waiting for a repair bot to finish work. He is the average of the spacefaring and i loved the bond i got pretending to be this guy. He could very well have been me 1000 years from now and it put me into the space setting so much i didn't miss space powers or anything.

Long Live Max. may he forever nap in the presence of distant stars.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:
Scorpion Leader wrote:What we really need are the following OCC's (amoung other's):
TGE Fleet Officer OCC

A CAF (and TGE) Special Operations (Forces) OCC would also be Pretty Cool to See!!!

I forgot we need an OCC for the guys and gals of the Consortium Planetary Expeditions (Corps), as mentioned in one of the Source books I forgot which one however?? Boy the Consortium/CAF has a lot of subset Organizations.

I know this is off topic Branden, but I just have to ask, when will we get the Stats for the Following??:
CAF Sheild Bearer Missle Tank, CAF/HA(FWC) Corister Class Frigate, CAF/HA(FWC) Stonewall Class Cruiser, Golgan Auntin Class Patrolcraft, Exile Frigate, Exile Regulator Class Cruiser??
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Scorpion Leader wrote:Galactic Dipolmat (politician)/Ambassador OCC

It's not official but here is the one I made.

Phase World: Diplomat O.C.C.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Hey Branden I forgot when will we also get the Colony solider OCC as Mentioned in Thudercould Galaxy?? You old Thunder Duck! -LOL

Also could you or Shawn, Carl, or the Great Kevin S. stop by my post (or post an Offical Ruling) on this forum titled: My Solution to Phase Beamers vs. Cyborgs (or is it Cyborgs vs. Phase Beamers). I'd just like your opinion on what I presented there as a possible solution to the problem. It would be nice if someone like you or the others to chime in and hopefully gives us all some sort of "Offical Ruling" on the matter. I did my best to come up with a solution base on the my interpretation of the Rules, that hopefuly both sides off the issue could be satisfied with, but is was in vain as always.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Shawn Merrow wrote:

Hey great OCC Shawn its almost how I invision it to be if I wrote it.
However what about having the skills Barter and/or Space Contacts (political in this case).
Also what about the skill Lore: Galactic/Alien??
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

Hey great OCC Shawn its almost how I invision it to be if I wrote it.
However what about having the skills Barter and/or Space Contacts (political in this case).
Also what about the skill Lore: Galactic/Alien??

Forgot to mention another useful skill for a Diplomat would be Performance (it even mentions so in the skill dicription)
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Branden I have some ideas for some MOS' for the Spacer OCC as well as a Space Pirate: Slaver MOS (or OCC???) and a New RACE called the Shimal (they are a one gender race with both male and female reproductive organs). The MOS' for the Spacer so far are:
Merchant Trader MOS
Miner MOS
Salvager MOS
I can post what i've come up with so far if you want to see them for your consideration. I am having a little trouble on % bonuses for the MOs Skills. I'm also trying to be sure I've got the right skills listed that are needed and that its all balanced.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:Branden I have some ideas for some MOS' for the Spacer OCC as well as a Space Pirate: Slaver MOS (or OCC???) and a New RACE called the Shimal (they are a one gender race with both male and female reproductive organs). The MOS' for the Spacer so far are:
Merchant Trader MOS
Miner MOS
Salvager MOS
I can post what i've come up with so far if you want to see them for your consideration. I am having a little trouble on % bonuses for the MOs Skills. I'm also trying to be sure I've got the right skills listed that are needed and that its all balanced.

I forgot to say i'm working on a new Robot design (Naruni??) for the Pleasure Federation called a Pleasure-Bot model type: DEP (domestic, entertaiment, pleasure) Robot.

They would have the domestic skill program (for bots who are domestic servants such as maids, butlers, or even bar tenders, valets, etc.) plus a specialized entertainment/pleasure program with skills like: Warderobe & Grooming, Performance, Sing (Professional Quality), Dance (Professional Quality) for the bots who serve as entertainers; Seduction, Interrogation (for those bots in the seeder professions, for some types of real wild types of fun shall we say), Barter (for those bots in the seeder professions) and perhaps even psychology??
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:
Scorpion Leader wrote:Branden I have some ideas for some MOS' for the Spacer OCC as well as a Space Pirate: Slaver MOS (or OCC???) and a New RACE called the Shimal (they are a one gender race with both male and female reproductive organs). The MOS' for the Spacer so far are:
Merchant Trader MOS
Miner MOS
Salvager MOS

I forgot to say i'm working on a new Robot design (Naruni??) for the Pleasure Federation called a Pleasure-Bot model type: DEP (domestic, entertaiment, pleasure) Robot.

They would have the domestic skill program (for bots who are domestic servants such as maids, butlers, or even bar tenders, valets, etc.) plus a specialized entertainment/pleasure program with skills like: Warderobe & Grooming, Performance, Sing (Professional Quality), Dance (Professional Quality) for the bots who serve as entertainers; Seduction, Interrogation (for those bots in the seeder professions, for some types of real wild types of fun shall we say), Barter (for those bots in the seeder professions) and perhaps even psychology??

I almost forgot Pleasure-Bots would also have the skills diguise and impersonation as part of thier skill program inorder to fulfill a clients fantasy.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you want to go non-canon canon (while they are RT canon, to import them elsewhere into the megaverc is non-canon) you could import the RT OCC's over to use.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Okay here is the MOS' for the Spacer OCC I've been Working On (I haven't gotten to the percent Bonuses yet However, just theMOS Skills lists and they may not even be complete):

GAS MINER MOS:
Chemistry: Basic (upgrade to Chemistry: Analytical at the cost of one other skill)
Advanced Math
Pilot: Small Spacecraft (ie. GAS Collector Ship)
NBC Warefare (for handling radioactive gases)
Mining
(suggested OCC Related skill: Barter)

ASTEROID MINER MOS:
Mining
Excavation
Spelunking
Demolition
NBC Warfare (for handling radioactive ores)
Gemology
Pilot: Robots & Power Armor Basic or Tracked and Construction Vechicles (pick one, players choice)
(Suggested OCC Related skills: Barter, Demolition Disposal, Climbing/Rappeling, Rope Works)

SALVAGE OPERATOR MOS:
Salvage
Recycle
Jury-Rig
General Repair & Maintanence
NBC Warfare (For handling hazardous Materials, especially when salvaging Military Vessels)
(Suggested OCC Related Skills: Barter,Apraising)

GALATIC MERCHANT/TRADER:
Apraising
Gemology
Barter
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

(short)List of places that have space classes/skills
RT:TSC & SC
MiO
the PW RDB's
HU:GG
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Scorpion Leader
Explorer

Scorpion Leader wrote:Okay here is the MOS' for the Spacer OCC I've been Working On (I haven't gotten to the percent Bonuses yet However, just theMOS Skills lists and they may not even be complete):
GAS MINER MOS:
Chemistry: Basic (upgrade to Chemistry: Analytical at the cost of one other skill)
Advanced Math
Pilot: Small Spacecraft (ie. GAS Collector Ship)
NBC Warefare (for handling radioactive gases)
Mining
(suggested OCC Related skill: Barter)

ASTEROID MINER MOS:
Mining
Excavation
Spelunking
Demolition
NBC Warfare (for handling radioactive ores)
Gemology
Pilot: Robots & Power Armor Basic or Tracked and Construction Vechicles (pick one, players choice)
(Suggested OCC Related skills: Barter, Demolition Disposal, Climbing/Rappeling, Rope Works)

SALVAGE OPERATOR MOS:
Salvage
Recycle
Jury-Rig
General Repair & Maintanence
NBC Warfare (For handling hazardous Materials, especially when salvaging Military Vessels)
(Suggested OCC Related Skills: Barter,Apraising)

GALATIC MERCHANT/TRADER:
Apraising
Gemology
Barter

Okay here are my M.O.S.' for the Spacer so far (Revised or some added to, also here are some NEW M.O.S.' as well/but without skill bonuses as of yet):

Galactic Merchant Trader M.O.S.:
(think of as like being the Space version of the Seafaring Merchant Princes of old)

Appraising
Gemology
Barter
Recognize Weapon Quality
Wardobe & Grooming
Perfomence (Can sell almost anything
think of as a used car salesmen. ie: Star
Trek's Harry Mudd)
Plus Two other skils at level one.

Merchant Marine/Cargo Transport Operator M.O.S.:

NBC Warfare (for the handling of Hazardous/Radioactive Cargo)
Physical Labor
Street Wise or Space Conatacts or Barter (choose one)
Pilot Robots & Power Armor ( for industrial hauler exoskeletons like the Naruni "Drudge")
Fire Fighting
Special skill: "Eye ball a fella" same as the Vagabon skill (see: Vagabon O.C.C. in RUE for details)
Plus Two other skills at level one.

Salvage Ship Operator M.O.S.:

Slavage
Recylcing
Basic Mechanics
Jury-Rig
Basic Electronics
NBC Warfare (for the handling of hazardous materials)
Plus Two other skills at leval one.

Asteroid/Planetary Miner M.O.S.:

Mining
Spelunking
Excavation
Pilot: Robots & Power Amor (like the "Naruni Drudge") or
Pilot: Tracked & Construction Vechicles (choose one)
Gemology
NBC Warfare (for the handling of Hazardous/Radioactive ores)
Demolition
Physical Labor
No further other skills selections are available at level one. Other skill choices have been replaced by M.O.S. Skills.
However the Other Skills selection available at later levels remains the same as per the Spacer O.C.C.

Gas Miner M.O.S.:
Mining (as pertaining to gas mining techniques & safety)
Advanced Math
Chemistry: Basic (can be upgraded to Chemistry: Analytical at the cost of one other skill selection/ Note:This skill is for the knowledge pertaining to that of different gases/gaseous compounds)
NBC Warfare (for the handling of Hazardous/Radioactive gases)
Pilot: Small Spacecraft (i.e.: the Gas Collecter ship/shuttle)
Plus Three other skills at level one.

Wonder-bee Spacer (pseudo-spacer) O.C.C.:
This is not a "TRUE" O.C.C. or M.O.S. it is either the City Rat or Vagabon Character O.C.C. as presented in RUE who grew up on Phase World at Center or has come to Center and taken the Courses at Wonderworld (use the Spacer Program along with the Physical and/or the Combat Programs replacing other Skill Selection for these two O.C.C.'s thereby making a pseudo M.O.S.) as described in Dimentional Outbreak. These people think they are now really prepared for life in space. All Real Spacer's and other Space Orientated O.C.C.'s look down upon them and are very quick to point out their foolishness, arrogance, and folly as space greenhorns (think of Han Solo lecture to a young naive Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars and you'll get the picture here) to think they are ready for the real dangers of space. That is why Real Spacer coined the dirogitory term Wonder-bee's, as in Wonder world trained wannabe spacers for these types of pseudo spacers. This not to say they woon't eventually earn their Chops and a certain amount of respect, or be able to change over to a "Real" Spacer or Space Related O.C.C. (see: The rules regarding Dual class Characters), however the stigmata still remains for these types.

NEW M.O.S. for the Space Pirate O.C.C.:

Galactic Slave Trader M.O.S.:

Barter
Lore: Galactic/Alien (for finding and knowing what species makes the best slave stock)
Biology or Xeneology (for ensuring the capture of the "Best Quality" and the health of the Slave Stock; choose one)
Find Contraband
Tracking: Humans/Humanoids
Prowl

(Some suggested O.C.C. Related Skills: Camoflage, Sniper, Streetwise, Space Contacts, Performance, biology, xeneology, first aid or paramedic to ensure of having a healthy and realivly undamaged Slave stock)
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

That Good.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Never been afforded the oportunity to play one. Most of the GM's here (online that is) are pathelogically terrified of ANYTHING Phaseworld.

I wouldn't have, because

a) you should be able to sum up the genre with a few pop culture references (movies like Star Wars, TV shows like Babylon Five, games like Warhammer 40K) instead of expecting a guy to read a book just to find out what a particular science fiction subgenre is
and
b) Lensman? Seriously? I know it launched the space opera genre, but E. E. "Doc" Smith's writing is total ass
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Rallan wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I wouldn't have, because

a) you should be able to sum up the genre with a few pop culture references (movies like Star Wars, TV shows like Babylon Five, games like Warhammer 40K) instead of expecting a guy to read a book just to find out what a particular science fiction subgenre is
and
b) Lensman? Seriously? I know it launched the space opera genre, but E. E. "Doc" Smith's writing is total ass
and here we see opinion at its finest.
I enjoy the series thoroughly and re-read it often.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I haven't had the chance to play one, but I have made several. Attitude wise, the goblin spacer (think the annoying squib template from Star Wars, but from a goblin) was among the coolest.

Biggest thing I think Phase World (and Rifts Earth for that matter) needs is a unified list of background skills. Are you from a primitive planet/civilization, you get these skills. Are you from a high tech civilization, but grew up in the farm belt? You get these skills. Did you grow up in the ship yards orbiting Center? You get a whole other set of skills. I'm not talkign a lot, just 3-4 skills plus language which define your background. And not a static list, but rather a list of choices. Triax has this in World Book 5, as does Free Quebec and Japan.

A table could be set up like this:
__Major Trade World (One Language and Literacy (of choice; +5% each), plus choose two from Barter (+15%), Law (General) (+5%), Law (CCW) (+10%), Computer Operation (+20%), Pilot (of choice, including spacecraft), or Lore: Galactic)
__Major Military Installation World (Military Etiquette, plus choose two [insert 6 or 7 skills from Military, Mechanical, or W.P. with little to no bonus - the more specific, the greater the bonus])
__Manufacturing Center (pick a component or product, or don't) (Pick Recognize Weapon Quality OR Salvage, plus choose two [insert 6 or 7 skills from Electrical, Mechanical, or Technical with little to no bonus - the more specific, the greater the bonus])
__Food (Farming/Aquaculture/Ranching/Hunting) Production (Lore: [Farming related lore] (+5%), Identify Plants and Fruits OR Breed [animals, use Breed Dogs skill as basis] (+5%), plus choose two [insert 6 or 7 skills from Medical, Physical, Technical, or Wilderness with little to no bonus - the more specific, the greater the bonus])
__Research Center
__Magical/Psionic Center of Learning/Research
__Mining/Resource Production
__Slum/Urban
__Subsistance Colony

And each would have skills associated with it. You pick the planet you're from, and several could apply to that planet. That doesn't matter. You choose the one that most applies to where you grew up. Center, for example, could actually be ALL of those, depending on the level or station you're on. Sure its subsistence levels are the lowest levels and you're fighting creatures and gangs, not creatures and hostile aliens, but it still applies. Then there's a seperate table with the lifestyle and wealth level for your childhood and teen years. It also has one or two skills associated with it. Being rich in the slums probably means being the family of one of the gang leaders, or corrupt business leaders who keep the place under control. Being a slave on a major trade world could mean a number of things.

Two pages of background tables, stuffed in with the tables to flesh out your character would help add a few skills to those any OCC might need, and help provide some more specific background info for characters
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

i'd have given him copies of my honor harrington E-books, loaned him my X-wing novel collection, and arranged a babylon 5 marathon veiwing... ;)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

i'd have given him copies of my honor harrington E-books, loaned him my X-wing novel collection, and arranged a babylon 5 marathon veiwing... ;)

those too would work...
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

If I was sadistic enough to make a guy read anything at all just to explain what a sci-fi subgenre involves, I'd have the common courtesy to just point him to this and this. Players shouldn't have to embark on major research projects as part of their campaign prep.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

those two wiki sites though are information devoid of emotive context. rather like if you were to just read a description of a TVshow without having watched it. without that closer connection, it's still hard to envision space opera.

for an RPG, finding a space opera style is as important as the details of the setting. just about any setting can be slanted different ways depending on how you prefer to play. so you could have a star teek phase world, a star wars phase world, a firefly phase world, a BSG phase world...etc. all the details might be identical, but tone and focus have a huge part in defining the game.

my choice of examples reflect what i consider good space opera. all three have good character development and great action-adventure. they run across the spectrum of hardness too, with the X-wing novels being very soft, B5 being somewhwre in them iddle, and the honor harrington series being more towards the 'hard' section of the scale. this would let the person pick the style they like best, or even pick and choose stylistic elements they like from each series..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Rallan wrote:If I was sadistic enough to make a guy read anything at all just to explain what a sci-fi subgenre involves, I'd have the common courtesy to just point him to this and this. Players shouldn't have to embark on major research projects as part of their campaign prep.
suggesting someone read is sadistic? my what a perfect little CS citizen you would make...
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:those two wiki sites though are information devoid of emotive context. rather like if you were to just read a description of a TVshow without having watched it. without that closer connection, it's still hard to envision space opera.

If people can't figure out the basic idea of space opera by being shown the TV Tropes entry and told that it's the general schtick used by Star Wars / Star Trek / Dune / Starcraft / Warhammer 40K / pretty much EVERYTHING that involves spacefaring empires and humungous space battles, then they're a lost cause. Even if they're not nerds like us (and I mean come on, they play RPGs, they're probably nerds like us) and they don't know what half of those examples are, its a genre whose cliches are engrained in pop culture. Sort of like how people who can't even remember the last time they ever watched a western or read a hardboiled detective novel still know how cowboys and private eyes are supposed to behave in the movies.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rallan wrote:If I was sadistic enough to make a guy read anything at all just to explain what a sci-fi subgenre involves, I'd have the common courtesy to just point him to this and this. Players shouldn't have to embark on major research projects as part of their campaign prep.
suggesting someone read is sadistic? my what a perfect little CS citizen you would make...

Suggesting that someone read an entire novel just to prepare for a campaign is ridiculous. Its the sort of over the top demand on a new player that I'd expect from the Fear Of Girls crew :)

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”