Monster index... but with monsters?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Monster index... but with monsters?

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Conversion books 1 and 2 are pretty much what you're looking for. Most other World books have monsters and such specific to that area of the world.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Not really no.

Conversions and Dark Conversions is as good as it gets, and those don't include Rifts specific monsters.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

Thank you for this thread. I mention the need for a monsters of NA book like the D-bees of NA every chance I get. If palladium doesn't do it I wouldn't be surprised if somebody makes an e-book version. All the rifts books exist on PDFs, it wouldn't take much for somebody to just cut and paste the monsters from each book and put them into a new PDF.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

tetrasodium wrote:Thanks for the tips on the conversions books, Not quite what I was hoping for, but at least a nice place to start. Alot of the random "monsterous humanoid" type critters like goblins and giants/ogres that get offhand mentioned in various rifts books are at least given some info there. Gryphons and harpies are mentioned all over the atlantis book, so it's nice to at least have a place with *some* info on them. Grantred I still have to go through the process of adding mdc armor/weapons where applicable :(. The inability to quickly & easily toss a random encounter at PC's like can be done in d&d/pathfinder/etc and is frustrating :(

Try maintaining a document with just like, guys in armor, and stats ready and waiting. It's a bit of work, sure, but it accomplishes what you're aiming for.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

tetrasodium wrote:
Bood Samel wrote:Thank you for this thread. I mention the need for a monsters of NA book like the D-bees of NA every chance I get. If palladium doesn't do it I wouldn't be surprised if somebody makes an e-book version. All the rifts books exist on PDFs, it wouldn't take much for somebody to just cut and paste the monsters from each book and put them into a new PDF.

I actually started taking the critters mentioned in the gmg and copying the pages into one Document earlier today. It's hideous so far since a lot of them have half an extra critter on their page*, but it's better than sorting through dozens of books. I figure when I get finished, I can add in some random encounter tables based on terrain (underground/swamp/forest/etc **critters).

Hopefully Pb sticks it somewhere for download if I email it to them, Getting banned (or worse) for posting a d/l link for something like that seems unappealing. The lack of such a book is especially frustrating with rifts, Just because it's tech/scifi plus monsters but those monsters are spread out over a cratefull of books making it so much more difficult to nail the setting than it should be.

Now that I see just how much of a PITA monsters are with my intention to try running a rifts campaign soon I can see why the GM I played with back in the 90's almost always put us against CS stoops with few exceptions Think I'm up to E or so on the list so far. Maybe once I get done I'll do similar with weapona/armor and toss in some tables similar to how d&d/pathfinder/etc will show the various basic weapons all side by side for easy at a glance lookups. The huge descriptions are nice fluff sure... But if I just want a random weapon for J-random NPC/random encounter It's a huge pain to sort through when all i Needed was range/damage/type/clipsize/etc, even worse when it's spread across so many books :(

It's way more work than it should be, but hopefully if I can finish it, I can save someone else the time of reinventing the wheel.
*It doesn't help that many of the monster entries are sufferin from a serious case of TMI going on for pages and pages either.

**Quick, using just the list in the GMG, name 3-5 critters fitting each terrain type :P

Yea palladium needs to realize that if they don't do this someone else will and it'll be floating around in file sharing land.

Return to “Rifts®”