Bonus die to extraordinary attribute:

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stattick
Adventurer

Bonus die to extraordinary attribute:

Unread post by Stattick »

I could have sworn that DBs and other non-humans also got the bonus die to extraordinary attributes, but I cannot find anything on the books, or on this site that addresses this. So, do non-humans get the bonus die when rolling attys above 15, and if so what are the rules, or can you give me a page number so I can look it up myself?

Thnx, Stat
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Bonus die to extraordinary attribute:

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I do believe thats a humans only rule, but the question has never really been answered as far as I know.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Stattick wrote:I could have sworn that DBs and other non-humans also got the bonus die to extraordinary attributes, but I cannot find anything on the books, or on this site that addresses this. So, do non-humans get the bonus die when rolling attys above 15, and if so what are the rules, or can you give me a page number so I can look it up myself?

Thnx, Stat

Nope they only get what they get and nothing more. I beleive at one time the explaianation was that humans were the most adaptable species thus they geteh widest range of stats or susmsuch....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

jaymz wrote:
Stattick wrote:I could have sworn that DBs and other non-humans also got the bonus die to extraordinary attributes, but I cannot find anything on the books, or on this site that addresses this. So, do non-humans get the bonus die when rolling attys above 15, and if so what are the rules, or can you give me a page number so I can look it up myself?

Thnx, Stat

Nope they only get what they get and nothing more. I beleive at one time the explaianation was that humans were the most adaptable species thus they geteh widest range of stats or susmsuch....

thought i remembered something in the phase world sourcebook about alien races only getting exceptional attribute die rolls in certain situations. specifically, if it was potentially better than 3d6, you don't add. if it was lower (ex: 3d4) there was a modified exceptional roll i think. but that's just a vague memory, can't get any more specific for you (i don't own the phaseworld book, i've only read a friend's copy)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It's in Rifts Conversion Book One. Unrevised (maybe revised too, I don't have it with me)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

PFRPG2 - Pg.14

Passage states that non-human characters with an initial attribute roll of 2D6, can re-roll the extra D6 as per the normal exceptional attribute rules.

Attributes that have an initial roll of 4D6 or more do not.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:It's in Rifts Conversion Book One. Unrevised (maybe revised too, I don't have it with me)

I looked through the conversion book, and couldn't find it. Do you have a page number, or perhaps remember what section it's in? I'm not sure if I have the Revised version or not. On the inside, it says that it's the 6th printing, December 1999. The text does make references to Robotech and TMNT, if that helps.

sHaka wrote:PFRPG2 - Pg.14

Passage states that non-human characters with an initial attribute roll of 2D6, can re-roll the extra D6 as per the normal exceptional attribute rules.

Attributes that have an initial roll of 4D6 or more do not.

Ok, yeah I found that. It doesn't quite work how I thought, but close enough. I thought that 2d6 got to roll an additional d6 on an 11-12... and I thought that attys at 1d6 got to roll an extra d6 on a six. Maybe it's an old house rule that I'm remembering? Also, I didn't realize that PF had the roll a bonus d6, and if it's a 6, then roll another d6 rule. Strange...
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Yeah. Most people let the 6 be open ended ad infinitum, but I don't. Because the one guy who winds up with PP 38 will make everyone else scream bloody murder. Plus, people are happy with them not being open ended.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Stattick wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:It's in Rifts Conversion Book One. Unrevised (maybe revised too, I don't have it with me)

I looked through the conversion book, and couldn't find it. Do you have a page number, or perhaps remember what section it's in? I'm not sure if I have the Revised version or not. On the inside, it says that it's the 6th printing, December 1999. The text does make references to Robotech and TMNT, if that helps.

Well, it's easy, does it have revised on the cover?

If not, it's not the revised one ;)
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Shark_Force
Palladin

i still think there's something on it in the phaseworld book, where it has the alien generation tables.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Shark_Force wrote:i still think there's something on it in the phaseworld book, where it has the alien generation tables.

It might be, but I saw the rule before I had phase world, so it's not the origional location.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the rule of thumb is that is the attribute are dice and a +<something> ( like 2d6+10 or 4d4+6 ) then the attribute can not get the extraordinary attribute extra die roll.
but if the attribute is just dice ( like 3d6 or 4d6 or 3d4 ) then the attribute can get the extraordinary attribute extra die roll.

The below numbers are how I figure if they get a extra die roll. D6's for d6 die rolls, d4's for d4 die rolls and d8's for d8 die rolls.
2d6--10+
3d6--16+
4d6--20+
5d6--25+

2d4--6+
3d4--11+
4d4--13+
5d4--16+

2d8--14+
3d8--21+
4d8--28+
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

In the unrevised Conversion Book, it's on p21. It does not directly address the bonus die, but leads one to believe that only humans get the bonus die.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mack wrote:In the unrevised Conversion Book, it's on p21. It does not directly address the bonus die, but leads one to believe that only humans get the bonus die.

I actually took it to mean anyone with a straigh 3d6 stat.....4d6 no, 3d6+ no, but flat 3d6 yes. and 2d6 is a bonus die 11 or 12....but smae thing flat 2d6 not 2d6+....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

It's so ambiguous, I just let everyone get at least an additional d6 when they roll well.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Iron Manticore wrote:Been a while since I've delved that deeply into the books...so forgive...but I'm going to hitch my wagon to those who state:

2D6 = bonus die on a result of 11 or 12
3D6 = bonus die on a result of 16, 17, or 18
No other die combinations get bonus die....

Though, one would think that anyone with a D4 attribute gets screwed...

And, I'm pretty sure that the RUE states rather specifically that it is one ONE bonus die, not ad infinitum.

It isn't ad infinitum but you do get an ADDITIONAL bonus die if you get a 6 on the original bonus die. That is canon and n the books and how you can actually get a natural 30 stat. I managed to get a starting PS and PP of 30 and 29 respectively before skill selection for a cyberknight I rolled up and i had two witnesses to the rolls to boot :)

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Darkorinth wrote:I'm not 100% certain as to the book rules, but to make it more consistant from character to character I had all characters roll exactly the same way. Then the race would modify it. If the race had more than 3d6 dice in a stat or a flat number change (such as -2 or +5) it would apply after the stat was determined the normal way. If the stat was less than 3d6 it would be reduced by the average of the missing dice, ie -3 (rounded down from 3.5) for 2d6 and -7 for 1d6. If the die was in d4s first you would change it if it was more or less than 3 dice, then -1 for each d4 used up to a -3 for 3d4 or more. This way everyone rolled the same number of dice for each stat and rolled any extra d6s for extraordinary stats before applying racial modifiers.

Interesting idea there Dark..I do ti this way

Stat

2d4 = 8 gives a bonus of 1d4 and on a 4 an extra 1d4
2d6 = 11 or 12 gives a bonus die of 1d6 and on a 6 gives an extra bonus die
3d6 = we already know

then on any other rolls (4d6, 5d6 etc) a roll that is within 3 of max gets a bonus 1d6 and on a 6 gets an extra 1d6 (ie 4d6 = 22 23 24 get the bonus die, 5d6 = 28 29 30 etc etc)

as for die rolls that get xdx + x . If the die roll before adding x would be exceptional then they get the bonus die (ie 3d6 + 2, if 16 17 or 18 is rolled before the +2 is added then they get to roll the additional bonus die)

\m/
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The way I actually do it is this. There is some info on the FAQ about it. Generally, if the bonus is 10 or higher, I do not allow any bonus dice at all. People think my game is pretty lethal despite the fact that I let humans roll 16 rolls of 4d6. drop the lowest, take the best 8 and plug them in. And if you don't believe people still die...well, guess what? They still die. In great heaping gobs. People don't die every session, but I would bet better than even money that the stats matter very little. So my stats are high, but none are overpowering. Still, people find ways to die.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:the rule of thumb is that is the attribute are dice and a +<something> ( like 2d6+10 or 4d4+6 ) then the attribute can not get the extraordinary attribute extra die roll.
but if the attribute is just dice ( like 3d6 or 4d6 or 3d4 ) then the attribute can get the extraordinary attribute extra die roll.

The below numbers are how I figure if they get a extra die roll. D6's for d6 die rolls, d4's for d4 die rolls and d8's for d8 die rolls.
2d6--10+
3d6--16+
4d6--20+
5d6--25+

2d4--6+
3d4--11+
4d4--13+
5d4--16+

2d8--14+
3d8--21+
4d8--28+

That is exactly how I do it, with a twist. No extra rolls if you get a 4, 6, 8 etc on the follow up roll.
-Matt
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

jaymz wrote:
Iron Manticore wrote:Been a while since I've delved that deeply into the books...so forgive...but I'm going to hitch my wagon to those who state:

And, I'm pretty sure that the RUE states rather specifically that it is one ONE bonus die, not ad infinitum.

It isn't ad infinitum but you do get an ADDITIONAL bonus die if you get a 6 on the original bonus die. That is canon and n the books and how you can actually get a natural 30 stat. I managed to get a starting PS and PP of 30 and 29 respectively before skill selection for a cyberknight I rolled up and i had two witnesses to the rolls to boot :)

The Only setting that gets more then one bonus die is the HU setting (pre RUE). And then it is only if each bonus die is a 6.

RUE, you can get up to Two bonus die, if the 1st bonus die is a 6.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

OrchestralDarkness wrote:The RUE "Exceptional" rule, on page 279, towards the top of the right-hand column, doesn't state that the bonus applies only to humans. It does state that "an initial roll using three six-sided dice (3D6) adds up to a..." Which does sort of lead to the idea that it only applies to characters who roll a particular stat using 3D6.

Generally, we work much the same way that Jaymz does, at my table, with the exception that we don't use the bonus dice for stats over 3d6, usually.

Shark_Force wrote:i still think there's something on it in the phaseworld book, where it has the alien generation tables.

The only alien generation tables that I can find are in the Aliens Unlimited books. The Phase World books don't have any generation tables for alien species.

In the AU book, under the heading "Determining Alien Race" which is under the Optional Alien Generation Tables on page 18 of the revised version, it talks about extraordinary attributes. "Man of the specific alien races roll more than three dice... Any attribute roll with a result of 16, 17 or 18 gets the standard bonus die added to it, but results of 19 or higher do not... Likewise, rolls of 2D6 that result in a 12 get a bonus die added to them."

Rifts Dimension Book 2: Phase World, pages 104-108, are where alien creation tables can be found.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Shark_Force
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The Only setting that gets more then one bonus die is the HU setting (pre RUE). And then it is only if each bonus die is a 6.

i remember reading that rule back when i was first getting started on TMNT, i think. that would have been quite a while ago though... something in the neighbourhood of 12-14 years, i think.

Vrykolas2k wrote:Rifts Dimension Book 2: Phase World, pages 104-108, are where alien creation tables can be found.

aha! well, i'm not totally crazy then :P (now all i need is for someone to find the stuff about exceptional attribute rolls... should be in whatever section of the alien creation rules deals with physical skills and aliens, at a guess)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
jaymz wrote:

The Only setting that gets more then one bonus die is the HU setting (pre RUE). And then it is only if each bonus die is a 6.

Not True. Palladium Fantasy second edition has that rule too.

And Rifts Ultimate also has this rule.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Not True. Palladium Fantasy second edition has that rule too.

And Rifts Ultimate also has this rule.

Original CB1 had it too

\m/
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Officially

A 2D6 attribute gets a bonus die if a 12 is rolled
A 3D6 attribute gets a bonus die when a 16, 17, or 18 is rolled and another if a 6 is rolled.
4D6 or more never gets a bonus die.

Additionally if an attribute already gets a bonus such as 3D6+4 does not get a bonus roll if a 16, 17 or 18 is rolled like an attribute with no bonus.

Race doesn't matter. Just the number of dice and bonuses to the attribute rolls.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Dr. Doom III wrote:Officially

A 3D6 attribute gets a bonus die when a 16, 17, or 18 is rolled and another if a 6 is rolled.

Additionally if an attribute already gets a bonus such as 3D6+4 does not get a bonus roll if a 16, 17 or 18 is rolled like an attribute with no bonus.

Race doesn't matter. Just the number of dice and bonuses to the attribute rolls.

Source?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Mack wrote:

Source?

its Doom...since when does he ever cite source? we must simply accept that he is right.
in this case he is right. as to sources...
every PB Main book in the attribute section.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

its Doom...since when does he ever cite source? we must simply accept that he is right.

Can you cite a page number for either his 2D6 or 4D6 statements?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Mack wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

not at the moment...do not have my books with me. and when I do gain access to my books I will not have access to a comp (borrowing my sisters for the mo). the best sources for the 2d6/4d6 statements would most likely be in RGMG within the first 50 pages or so IIRC.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

not at the moment...do not have my books with me. and when I do gain access to my books I will not have access to a comp (borrowing my sisters for the mo). the best sources for the 2d6/4d6 statements would most likely be in RGMG within the first 50 pages or so IIRC.

Nope, not there.

(Nothing personal, but there's a reason I always ask for page references. All too often folks will throw out a "fact" that is really a house rule and they never knew it.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Mack wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

I believe that it was CB1 which stated that any attribute roll over 3d6 didn't get the bonus d6. As for the 2d6 statement, I have read it in one of Palladium's books before, but I can't remember which book it was in.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I've always had a fixed range for bonus dice (16+ on 3D6, 21+ for 4D6, 11 for 2D6, etc, basically all 5's and a 6 is where it starts, or all 4's on D4 rolls), cutting off at no more then double the starting number of dice (so a 3D6 human could only get 3 extra dice, but an Elven P.B could skyrocket with up to 5 extra dice). Gave flexability and to me a more real sense (if your average is gonna be like 20, but a human can still beat out the best of your race seemed silly).
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

Doom is correct
The reference is in the original Conversion book.
The 11 or 12 roll is correct as well as it talked about elves getting the extra 6d for 11 or 12 roll for ME and MA in either the PF 2nd or the original conversion book. siorry I can not cite pages I am at work but I will do so when I get home.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

The rules are spread across a couple of books:
2D6, a roll of 11 or 12 gets one bonus D6
3D6, a roll of 16 to 18 gets one bonus D6
4D6 and up get no bonus die.
Attributes with a bonus(3D6+4 for example) will get the bonus D6 only if the die rolls 16 to 18 excluding the bonus +4. For example; if I rolled 17 on the 3D6 and rolled 3 on the bonus D6 then the total would be 17+3+4=24.
In alternative if the bonus is listed before the D6 in the attributes(12+2D6 for example) then they do not recieve a bonus die if the 2D6 rolls an 11 or 12.
Any other die such as D4s, D8s, etc do not get bonus die for high rolls.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Wildfire
Adventurer

as I stated that I would give a page ref whenI got home
the 3d6 rule is on page 25 of the CB1 (unrevised) it states "normal humans roll three (3)six-sided dice for each attribute. A roll of 16, 17 or 18, means an additional six-sided die is rolled and added to that attribute. If a six is rolled another six-sided die is rolled and its number is also added to that particular attribute." there is no mention of this bonus going on and on or that it is given to a different race. I always take that as what makes humans unique in the multivwerse.
for those with rolls other than 3d6 please refer to page 21 where it talks about other races/Monster/mutants attribute rolls.
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

Wildfire wrote:as I stated that I would give a page ref whenI got home
the 3d6 rule is on page 25 of the CB1 (unrevised) it states "normal humans roll three (3)six-sided dice for each attribute. A roll of 16, 17 or 18, means an additional six-sided die is rolled and added to that attribute. If a six is rolled another six-sided die is rolled and its number is also added to that particular attribute." there is no mention of this bonus going on and on or that it is given to a different race. I always take that as what makes humans unique in the multivwerse.
for those with rolls other than 3d6 please refer to page 21 where it talks about other races/Monster/mutants attribute rolls.

It does not say that other beings with 3D6 for an attribute do not get the D6 bonus or if there is a +4 attached to it. And on pg 279, collumn 2, paragraph 4 of the RUE it does not make any mention that it applies only to ordinary humans.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Wildfire
Adventurer

flipside of that arguement is on page 21 where it details the rest of the attributes for D-BEEs and monsters/mutants
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

Wildfire wrote:flipside of that arguement is on page 21 where it details the rest of the attributes for D-BEEs and monsters/mutants

Except you are talking about the old unrevised version. The revised version does not have that info at all so it falls to the RUE.
Wildfire
Adventurer

Anthar wrote:
Wildfire wrote:flipside of that arguement is on page 21 where it details the rest of the attributes for D-BEEs and monsters/mutants

Except you are talking about the old unrevised version. The revised version does not have that info at all so it falls to the RUE.

Actually I don't have the RUE so I go by all that was laid down before unless it was revised in the later books.
And to my knowledge this has never been changed in any book.

With that said I give anyone who rolls a 3d6 the 1 bonus die and humans the 2nd bonus die if they get a 6 in my games.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Mack wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

PFRPG 1st ed. Pg 2 (althought it has the 3D6 bonus only on a 17 or 18)
PFRPG 2nd ed. Pg 14
In the section on non-human attributes.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Mack wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mack wrote:

Source?

PFRPG 1st ed. Pg 2 (althought it has the 3D6 bonus only on a 17 or 18)
PFRPG 2nd ed. Pg 14
In the section on non-human attributes.

Thank you.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.

Return to “Rifts®”