A.R.C.H.I.E. Theory

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: A.R.C.H.I.E. Theory

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Wyrmbear wrote:ARCHIE's got backups of himself -- he must, as paranoid as he is.

So somewhere out there must be a full, dormant ARCHIE system.

ARCHIE's already shown signs of mental illness, including paranoia, megalomania, and so on.

Now comes the theoretical part.

What if a BACKUP were awakened before the destruction of the "original" ARCHIE?

The megalomaniacal trait wouldn't allow both to exist together.

The enhanced paranoia and megalomania possible via the self-awareness of its status as just a backup could make ARCHIE-3b even more dangerous, but its focus would most likely be on the destruction of the Alpha. Though there is the possibility of AI-suicide.

Now yes, I realize the odds of finding, much less actually awakening a backup of ARCHIE's without it finding out and shutting it down first is somewhere around the same odds of spontaneously crapping a battlecruiser the next time you sit on the loo. Which are slightly greater than the odds of destroying ARCHIE.

False, but interesting.

In a functional backup state all incremental backups would update the backup ARCHIE's perhaps minute by minute. (This happens today in modern datacenters for which components can be dozens of miles away) In the event of a backup failure other ARCHIE backups which will all be online but subservient to the current master would first elect a new Master, a process taking milliseconds, assign robots to investigate and repair the cause of the communication failure. Further as a result of "Failover Protocols" the dominant ARCHIE will change from moment to moment depending on the current functional state of each unit. After all, machines require maintenance; communications in Rifts are not 100% reliable. As such elections of the dominant copy are not only very likely but could happen several times a day.

As a GM I would determine how many copies of ARCHIE exist where the facilities are and pull together a chart for determining the condition of each one. Then a simple dice roll to figure out which is the current Master. Also nothing stopping ARCHIE, except perhaps his own paranoia, from creating new copies in new facilities.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Wyrmbear wrote:I understand SAN architecture and datacenter backup best practices and the theories involved, the difference here is that we're dealing with an artificial intelligence that has displayed human qualities and abnormal psychology.

Recognizing the likelihood of the scenario not happening, whether due to superior backup architecture/policy, or due to the difficulty in actually awakening such an entity, I'd really prefer to focus on the scenario as happening, and what happens next.

Ideas?

You missed my point; backups are not separate entities but part of a whole, like your arm. Each taking turn at dominance is not a question of which artificial intelligence is in control but which part of my body is in control at this moment. Human psychology could be compared as thinking with your penis when attempting to woo a person of interest. It is that portion of your brain in conjunction with the hardware necessary to facilitate that effort is the dominant area for a time. The next morning your legs and fear portion of the brain may be in control if you realize this encounter was a mistake. So it’s not a reasonable comparison to suggest that Archie’s backups are separate from him but are rather part of a whole. The only way your theory may actually happen is if one of these backups were severed and forgotten ages ago, or was believed to be completely destroyed, and for whatever reason would be awakened some time later. You would have two completely different A.R.C.H.I.E. units, one a megalomaniac and one functioning more or less under its base programming (as it has not been active for a long time).
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, it plays to the idea of 'what if ARCHIE-3 made a Nueral Intelligence that was smart enough to turn on him'....
I rather doubt that if such a backup system were set up in place in the pre-Rifts Era, that the NEMA/Cyberworks engineers would have wasted the capacity letting sit around on the offhand chance that A# himself might fail...They'd spin off a new AI with the hardware and put it to work on some other project....
However, smaller AIs containing aspects of A3's memories and experiences might be possible, though they'd be nowhere near his equal, like a subset of his programming used on-site to maintain a factory complex...As such, if cut off, they'd be readily re-assimilated once he could get back at them...any such 'civil war' would be over in minutes, if not seconds, due to A3's superior capabilities and psionics...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

Yea, ARCHIE backup would update to and under his control. I can see maybe that an old version of him could have been backup in a different location before the Rifts. If that's so, ARCHIE would have searched for them if he knew. Success unknown but probably based on the backup's location. If an older version was active somehow and if ARCHIE knew of it; he would seek it out and destroy it as it wouldn't be as developed as his present state.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

In our game Archie 3 has built a new factory in Managua, Nicaragua. This factory is his back plan encase his North American facilities are ever destroyed. With vampire nations to both north & south of this locations he's well guarded and has a small army of robots armed with repeating wooden stake launchers, silver vibro-blades, cross searchlights and long range water cannons to keep the vamps from entering his domain.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Young Freud wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:In the event of a backup failure other ARCHIE backups which will all be online but subservient to the current master would first elect a new Master, a process taking milliseconds, assign robots to investigate and repair the cause of the communication failure. Further as a result of "Failover Protocols" the dominant ARCHIE will change from moment to moment depending on the current functional state of each unit. After all, machines require maintenance; communications in Rifts are not 100% reliable. As such elections of the dominant copy are not only very likely but could happen several times a day.

So, ARCHIE essentially becomes NEXUS from Splicers?

UMMMM.... Ummmm..... ok? Don’t know anything about Splicers.
This is how actual 21st century datacenters work. I expect something as expensive and sophisticated as an ARCHIE system would operate in this way.

I was thinking originally of something like Skynet. Just being software and replicating itself all over the place but that is not how ARCHIE is written. Further I expect ARCHIE systems need a “positronic brain” for lack of a better example, as such there would need to be fixed replicas in secure locations across the ARCHIE facility. Again however I’m sure ARCHIE can replicate itself, but doesn’t out of fear.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Scarier theory:

ARCHIE 7 (the AI which runs the CAN Republic on the moon) is aware of the base in Maryland, but can't control it because ARCHIE 3 has "mutated" beyond parameters and cannot be hacked and overwritten. If ARCHIE 3's toaster-sized core were to be destroyed, nothing would prevent ARCHIE 7 from gaining control of the facility and using it to establish a beachead in what used to be the northeastern United States. Using Traction Drive technology they could cheapy ship water, oxygen, and rare biological compounds in bulk, allowing them to economically (and then militarily) dominate orbit. Throw in the advanced technology that they'll be able to salvage from ARCHIE 3's brief liason with the Mechanoids, and you've got a brand new global superpower developing almost overnight.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Falconi wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:You missed my point; backups are not separate entities but part of a whole, like your arm. Each taking turn at dominance is not a question of which artificial intelligence is in control but which part of my body is in control at this moment. Human psychology could be compared as thinking with your ***** when attempting to woo a person of interest. It is that portion of your brain in conjunction with the hardware necessary to facilitate that effort is the dominant area for a time. The next morning your legs and fear portion of the brain may be in control if you realize this encounter was a mistake. So it’s not a reasonable comparison to suggest that Archie’s backups are separate from him but are rather part of a whole. The only way your theory may actually happen is if one of these backups were severed and forgotten ages ago, or was believed to be completely destroyed, and for whatever reason would be awakened some time later. You would have two completely different A.R.C.H.I.E. units, one a megalomaniac and one functioning more or less under its base programming (as it has not been active for a long time).

I'm not sure I completely agree here.. By definition a backup is a facsimile of an original to be used in the case where the original becomes unusable. So to continue with your example, it would be more like a person who was cloned. They are a direct copy of the original. You can't control the legs or the libido of your clone. Granted its a little different than something biological because we're talking about a computer that can be completely erased and then restored to its previous state (Certainly something that can't be done to a human being). That being said, ARCHIE would certainly have access to the backup unless as you suggest, the connection was somehow severed. Access means also that he has the capacity to destroy that backup too.. :)

Well: if we are going to get into a discussion of what a backup is lets clarify what we are talking about.

Wyrmbear wrote:ARCHIE's got backups of himself -- he must, as paranoid as he is.
So somewhere out there must be a full, dormant ARCHIE system.
ARCHIE's already shown signs of mental illness, including paranoia, megalomania, and so on.
Now comes the theoretical part.
What if a BACKUP were awakened before the destruction of the "original" ARCHIE?
The megalomaniacal trait wouldn't allow both to exist together.
The enhanced paranoia and megalomania possible via the self-awareness of its status as just a backup could make ARCHIE-3b even more dangerous, but its focus would most likely be on the destruction of the Alpha. Though there is the possibility of AI-suicide.

Replica: Live copy of an original or master server updated usually in real time for redundancy and load sharing. Typically using failover protocols to change the master/slave relationship as required.( my interprited view of the posters theory)

Backup: Two Types
1. Online backup, meaning live and attached over a functional network to a storage device for immediate restore of original code or data. Typically not used on Live operating systems but useful for application restores and data recovery
2. Offline Backup formerly referred to Tape Backup. A copy of all code including operating system stored magnetically onto tape, optical disk or fixed disk, often in a remote or offsite location for security and redundancy. This type of backup is applied for full system restore of OS and applications as well as raw data. Requires third party (human) intervention to restore.

As stated initially it is a Full Live Backup; which I translated to replica as it would require real-time updates and no intervention to restore, which I believe is the spirit of the situation. One of these replicas breaks away form the whole to become a fully functional entity, independent of the original. Unfortunately it would be Identical to the original; how it would interpret the situation is anyone’s guess.

Here re my suggestions:
1. Archie the broken replica realizes it’s a part of a whole and tries to reestablish connection.
2. Archie’s, megalomania and paranoia supersedes computer logic and decided to live on its own. Strong possibility of dissention as Original Archie and Replica Archie are aware of each other secret locations and would in the interest of self preservation start a robot war.
3. Original Archie and Replica Archie now begin to develop separately of one another and realize they are or will become separate entities capable of argument and between them creative thinking. They unite and end the eternal loneliness’. Next step self preservation, a war on biologics in the area begins to create a buffer zone of safety. Beginnings of NWO as machines can now truly begin to replicate and propagate equals.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Falconi wrote:Ah, I see where you're coming from. I interpreted the original post a bit differently then. My interpretation was 'Archive' where yours was 'Replica'.

Its a semantic difference really, where by the bold line you quote above, 'Full' meaning a complete backup located on some disconnected media as opposed to say, some subsystem or portion of the whole ARCHIE. If I'm understanding your interpretation, 'Full' means a Live and Continuous backup over an active connection.

Ultimately though, I think the end result would be the same. I personally like your second end-game option. :mrgreen:

Yea being stuck in the middle of a robot war would be bad for any PC party.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Young Freud wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Young Freud wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:In the event of a backup failure other ARCHIE backups which will all be online but subservient to the current master would first elect a new Master, a process taking milliseconds, assign robots to investigate and repair the cause of the communication failure. Further as a result of "Failover Protocols" the dominant ARCHIE will change from moment to moment depending on the current functional state of each unit. After all, machines require maintenance; communications in Rifts are not 100% reliable. As such elections of the dominant copy are not only very likely but could happen several times a day.

So, ARCHIE essentially becomes NEXUS from Splicers?

UMMMM.... Ummmm..... ok? Don’t know anything about Splicers.
This is how actual 21st century datacenters work. I expect something as expensive and sophisticated as an ARCHIE system would operate in this way.

NEXUS is the big bad in Splicers. It's basically Skynet with 12 different personalities, each with it's own preferences in how to deal with humanity, all pretty bad for us. The PCs in Splicers can tell which personality is active by what types and how many units are being thrown at them.

When you said the ARCHIE backups being online and voting who gets to be the master, that was the first thing I thought of.

Oh, Interesting, i may just have to pick up splicers.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

My theory: A.R.C.H.I.E. 3b has already woken up, and is the secret master of the Republicans. Next on the agenda: Subvert the Shemmarians.
taalismn
Priest

Rallan wrote:Scarier theory:

ARCHIE 7 (the AI which runs the CAN Republic on the moon) is aware of the base in Maryland, but can't control it because ARCHIE 3 has "mutated" beyond parameters and cannot be hacked and overwritten. If ARCHIE 3's toaster-sized core were to be destroyed, nothing would prevent ARCHIE 7 from gaining control of the facility and using it to establish a beachead in what used to be the northeastern United States. Using Traction Drive technology they could cheapy ship water, oxygen, and rare biological compounds in bulk, allowing them to economically (and then militarily) dominate orbit. Throw in the advanced technology that they'll be able to salvage from ARCHIE 3's brief liason with the Mechanoids, and you've got a brand new global superpower developing almost overnight.

I was under the impression that Traction Drive couldn't work very effectively, or at all, in atmosphere or deep in a gravity well...It's a weak form of electro-magnetic gravitic drive, but not a true contra-gravity propulsion system....
On the other hand, it would give the Lunies a GREAT ringside seat to watch events on Earth...as well as the means to establish a proxy robot army to enforce the Quarantine of Earth on the ground, ferret out anybody attempting to make it into orbit, and quash any such efforts...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the main problem with the "lets make a backup" theory is that ARCHIE3 is a Neural Intellegence. what makes his brain tick is the connections between the sub-processors in the nueral net. these connections would have been developed as archie 'matured', with less used connections pruned and frequently used connections seeing the growth of additional connections. just like in a human brain.

you could back up archie's databanks (memories), and the basic operating system the processors run on, but you wouldn't be able to make a copy of the connections. so this 'back up' would start off as a blank slate, and despite having the same programming and 'memories', would develop into a very different personality and thought process. even if you were to exactly duplicate the originals experiances (the process of neural pruning is somewhat random..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:the main problem with the "lets make a backup" theory is that ARCHIE3 is a Neural Intellegence. what makes his brain tick is the connections between the sub-processors in the nueral net. these connections would have been developed as archie 'matured', with less used connections pruned and frequently used connections seeing the growth of additional connections. just like in a human brain.

you could back up archie's databanks (memories), and the basic operating system the processors run on, but you wouldn't be able to make a copy of the connections. so this 'back up' would start off as a blank slate, and despite having the same programming and 'memories', would develop into a very different personality and thought process. even if you were to exactly duplicate the originals experiances (the process of neural pruning is somewhat random..)

Gotta agree with him there...if your backup hardware has the capacity to act independently as a separate entity, why not make it a separate entity to begin with?

Not saying it's not POSSIBLE Archie-3 might have such a system, but very improbable...
That having been said, of course sci-fi is FILLED with advanced AIs of human- or better-intelligence and emotive capability who keep coming back miraculously from systems crash, from backup, perfectly fine and hardly missing a virual breath or emotion..But that's either DAMN good planning and foresight or, more likely, cheesy plot armor...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

WOW This is a very cool conversation. I'm going to stick with GB2098 and Tallismn on this one. I think of Collossus: The Forbin Project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbin_Project
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Well , given that ARCHIE 3 is insane, he could potentially become arrogant as well to the point he outsmarts himself with a scheme like that...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That could be. I suppose it depends on the depth of his insanity.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Falconi wrote:
taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the main problem with the "lets make a backup" theory is that ARCHIE3 is a Neural Intellegence. what makes his brain tick is the connections between the sub-processors in the nueral net. these connections would have been developed as archie 'matured', with less used connections pruned and frequently used connections seeing the growth of additional connections. just like in a human brain.

Gotta agree with him there...if your backup hardware has the capacity to act independently as a separate entity, why not make it a separate entity to begin with?
Not saying it's not POSSIBLE Archie-3 might have such a system, but very improbable...
That having been said, of course sci-fi is FILLED with advanced AIs of human- or better-intelligence and emotive capability who keep coming back miraculously from systems crash, from backup, perfectly fine and hardly missing a virual breath or emotion..But that's either DAMN good planning and foresight or, more likely, cheesy plot armor...

I would agree that simply due to the vast complexity of ARCHIE's inner workings that making a backup would not be a trivial task at all.
However, that being said, ARCHIE isn't (to my knowledge) biological and thus he does not grow new connections like a biological brain does, but rather he would have a finite number of possible connections and neural 'routes' that could be mapped and backed up using some sort of non-standard algorithm or something. But then again, the size and complexity of the backup might just exceed the bounds of the brain it's backing up! :lol:

actually, according to the revised sourcebook 1's section on robotics, a nueral intelegence like archie (mentioned specifically) is a product of nanotechnology duplicating the form and function of a human brain. which means the physical connections between the nanotech processor "cells" in the brain would change, being created or destroyed as it learns. s it would be next to impossible to build an exact copy of archie's brain. you'd need to know down to a molecular level where everything was physicall (since nanotechnology operates through applied molecular chemistry)

but it would be simple for archie to build a "blank" NI brain and upload a copy of his memories and OS to it, creating a "child". IIRC, this how argent goodson and the other in atlantis was made.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Falconi wrote:
taalismn wrote:

I would agree that simply due to the vast complexity of ARCHIE's inner workings that making a backup would not be a trivial task at all.
However, that being said, ARCHIE isn't (to my knowledge) biological and thus he does not grow new connections like a biological brain does, but rather he would have a finite number of possible connections and neural 'routes' that could be mapped and backed up using some sort of non-standard algorithm or something. But then again, the size and complexity of the backup might just exceed the bounds of the brain it's backing up! :lol:

actually, according to the revised sourcebook 1's section on robotics, a nueral intelegence like archie (mentioned specifically) is a product of nanotechnology duplicating the form and function of a human brain. which means the physical connections between the nanotech processor "cells" in the brain would change, being created or destroyed as it learns. s it would be next to impossible to build an exact copy of archie's brain. you'd need to know down to a molecular level where everything was physicall (since nanotechnology operates through applied molecular chemistry)

but it would be simple for archie to build a "blank" NI brain and upload a copy of his memories and OS to it, creating a "child". IIRC, this how argent goodson and the other in atlantis was made.

Cool so the premise of backup archie is Mute. Thread over... :shock:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Greyaxe wrote:Cool so the premise of backup archie is Mute. Thread over... :shock:

not exactly. while ARCHIE could not create an exact duplicate of himself at any given time, he could upload copies of his memories into a 'blank' NI core and effectively 'clone' himself. this clone would have all ARCHIE's memories, but would be starting from a blank slate in regards to development of the NI core. it would immediately begin to develop into a unique individual. (in addition, the copy would lack archie3's psychic abilities..)

in theory this would allow archie to continue on after 'death', but in practise it would run into the Continuity Flaw. ARCHIE3 continues on, albiet with somewhat different thought processes, but from the perspective of the orighinal ARCHIE3, he'd still be dead, with a copy running around.

i suspect that ARCHIE3 would not create a full copy of himself this way, since he has what humans call "ego". he'd want himself to be unique, and having a second 'him' active would ruin this. his human replica androids have a NI core, but only part of his memories, the ones required to function in their jobs. those memories have been supplimented with artificial ones to complete the disguise, and unique ones from the NI's own experiance.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:Cool so the premise of backup archie is Mute. Thread over... :shock:

not exactly. while ARCHIE could not create an exact duplicate of himself at any given time, he could upload copies of his memories into a 'blank' NI core and effectively 'clone' himself. this clone would have all ARCHIE's memories, but would be starting from a blank slate in regards to development of the NI core. it would immediately begin to develop into a unique individual. (in addition, the copy would lack archie3's psychic abilities..)

in theory this would allow archie to continue on after 'death', but in practise it would run into the Continuity Flaw. ARCHIE3 continues on, albiet with somewhat different thought processes, but from the perspective of the orighinal ARCHIE3, he'd still be dead, with a copy running around.

i suspect that ARCHIE3 would not create a full copy of himself this way, since he has what humans call "ego". he'd want himself to be unique, and having a second 'him' active would ruin this. his human replica androids have a NI core, but only part of his memories, the ones required to function in their jobs. those memories have been supplimented with artificial ones to complete the disguise, and unique ones from the NI's own experiance.

I Agree with this. But in a all or nothing situation ARCHIE can simply communicate to any hidden computers he wants and transfer himself via satilite communications.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Rallan wrote:Scarier theory:

I believe that ARCHIE 7 is aware of the existence of ARCHIE 3 because of ARCHIE 3's use of the satalite network. Archie 3 is using the old access codes from before the Great Cataclysm which are still active in ARCHIE 7's systems because the administrators on the moon didn't think that anyone survived planet side and that little fact has been forgotten over the centuries.

Now what would be really interesting is if ARCHIE 3 slowly subverts ARCHIE 7. With that kind of power and some careful planning, ARCHIE 3 could create and place attack satalites capable of bombing the earth and siphon off some of the more advanced technologies available from the orbital communities.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Aramanthus
Monk

It is an interesting concept on your part GB2098. I can see and agree about Archie 3 having a problem with creating a spare. Although I can see Hagan suggesting this though. As for Archie 3 subverting Archie 7. Now that is another interesting idea. Especially if Arcchie 3 could somehow get their tech base and add it too his ever growing arsenal for use on Rift's earth.

HH....FIE
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

he could build satelite and send them into orbit and simply tell the defense grid to hold fire. Or he could attempt to take control of some simple repair drone and begin to salvage the junk and debris field and begin building his own net work of satelites under his direct control. Even turning the defense net work against the orbiting space stations making sure he is unchallenged by them. Mean while he convices the ARCHIE 7 on the moon to simply open all the air locks.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Lt Gargoyle wrote: I Agree with this. But in a all or nothing situation ARCHIE can simply communicate to any hidden computers he wants andCAn republic transfer himself via satilite communications.
actually, no he couldn't. transferring data is just copying it. since ARCHIE has analog components (the nueral net) which are a major part of his existance, if he was to "transfer" to a new computer, he's just making a copy of his memories into that new core. it would be exactly the same as if archie was to make a copy. exact same process. "he" would wake up with all the memories but an undeveloped neural net.
Anthar wrote: I believe that ARCHIE 7 is aware of the existence of ARCHIE 3 because of ARCHIE 3's use of the satalite network. Archie 3 is using the old access codes from before the Great Cataclysm which are still active in ARCHIE 7's systems because the administrators on the moon didn't think that anyone survived planet side and that little fact has been forgotten over the centuries.
archie7 is aware of the use of the sat, but because archie7 is not self-aware, and no one has asked, it hasn't informed the CAN republic. without a human to ask about it, it can't act itself.
Now what would be really interesting is if ARCHIE 3 slowly subverts ARCHIE 7. With that kind of power and some careful planning, ARCHIE 3 could create and place attack satalites capable of bombing the earth and siphon off some of the more advanced technologies available from the orbital communities.
i don't know. i have no doubt archie3 could hack archie7, but i think that if archie3 tries to open a connection into archie7 itself it would trip alarms in the CAN republic. but if archie3 only tries to access databanks, he may be able to hide his presence. of course, archie3 would have to be aware of the orbitals existance...

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

It would be very cool if Archie 3 could start producing the Can Republics equipment for selling to various power of NOrth America under the disguise of Titan Robotics.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

When did that happen? I don't remember anyone reverse engineering the Shemerian gear. I take it this is in the new "Source book 1"?

HH....FIE
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Aramanthus wrote:When did that happen? I don't remember anyone reverse engineering the Shemerian gear. I take it this is in the new "Source book 1"?

It wasn't reversed engineered. Which is why it's likely in quotation marks in the post above yours. Titan Robotics is secretly owned and operated by A.R.C.H.I.E.-3. In one of the Rifters (as official content) and I think repeated in the Rifts: Adventure guide is updated material on Titan Robotics, including a new model of Robot with a Shemerian Rail Gun as a forearm. Representatives from Titan Robotics claim to have reversed engineered it.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Aramanthus
Monk

If it is in the Adventure guide. It looks like I'll have to be looking thru that more closely.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh ok. That book is an easier one to access. Thank you for mentioning the book. I read that one and don't remember that mentioned.

HH....FIE
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Just because someone claims to have reverse engineered a Shemarrian railgun doesn't mean the CS automatically wakes up in the morning and decides to be suspicious of them.

They might decide "Hey! We'd really like to OWN THE PLANS for the Shemarrian Railgun."

or they might decide "Coalition weapons are superior because we are the Coalition."

But I doubt they'd go ape-bleep-nuts and try to whack Titan Robotics over it. The Coalition has ZERO means of knowing that Titan Robotics or ARCHIE exists. Player characters have a better chance overall than the Coalition High Command does.

I'm hardly Archie's biggest fan. I'm hardly the Coalition's biggest fan. But there's no justification for suspicion here. There is justification for "Let's get ahold of that."
Aramanthus
Monk

Very interesting! Thank you for that information.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”