Killer Cyborg's Great Rifts Japan Debate

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

vitae_drinker
Wanderer

Unread post by vitae_drinker »

Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:Pg, 137 Rifts Main Book

"Without a doubt, it (Traversing Our Modern World) is the most accurate and inclusive journal/atlas of the Rifts world available on the black market. Unfortunately, that is not saying much, as even the intrepid historian Tarn has vast gaps in her knowledge of the world. It is this lack of complete knowledge that made her refuse to write the volume herself, or personally endorse the much sought after publication."

There you go. In black and white.
It was never meant to be 100% accurate.

Doom, I already tried that...and got told (basically) that I was full of !@#$.

Time to move on to another discussion. :frust:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

"Without a doubt, it (Traversing Our Modern World) is the most accurate and inclusive journal/atlas of the Rifts world available on the black market. Unfortunately, that is not saying much, as even the intrepid historian Tarn has vast gaps in her knowledge of the world. It is this lack of complete knowledge that made her refuse to write the volume herself, or personally endorse the much sought after publication."

That says that it is meant to have gaps, not that it is meant to be false.
There's a large difference.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Solothurn wrote:
vitae_drinker wrote:

Doom, I already tried that...and got told (basically) that I was full of !@#$.

Time to move on to another discussion. :frust:

[MODERATED]

wow, what a horrible thing to say for such an irrelevant discussion.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:
Richter wrote:Myself and baby jesus weep for the fact this thread is still going

I hear tell that every-time someone posts here, god kills a ninja.

Keep posting, keep posting!
Are you enemy of Ninja?

:D The day I killed the entire party before the first combat encounter.
Were those REAL people??

You were just making thosde folks up.

They can't POSSIBLY exist in the Real World....and still be out there somewhere!!!

Right??

RIGHT????

:frazz:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
vitae_drinker
Wanderer

Unread post by vitae_drinker »

cornholioprime wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:
Richter wrote:Myself and baby jesus weep for the fact this thread is still going

I hear tell that every-time someone posts here, god kills a ninja.

Keep posting, keep posting!
Are you enemy of Ninja?

:D The day I killed the entire party before the first combat encounter.
Were those REAL people??

You were just making thosde folks up.

They can't POSSIBLY exist in the Real World....and still be out there somewhere!!!

Right??

RIGHT????

:frazz:

Well, if they are real...

They live in Albany, NY (where Eden is based), as the author makes a point in another rant about his players not liking them...
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Killer Cyborg wrote:That says that it is meant to have gaps, not that it is meant to be false.

No it means it could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt. Which you obviously haven't.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:That says that it is meant to have gaps, not that it is meant to be false.

No it means it could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt. Which you obviously haven't.
Well said.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

cornholioprime wrote:
Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:

Well said.

Sorry, but "Gaps" means lack of information, not that the information printed is actually wrong.

No matter how much you want it to mean that.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

vitae_drinker wrote:Well, if they are real...

They live in Albany, NY (where Eden is based), as the author makes a point in another rant about his players not liking them...

The names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I also feel some points were over-exagerated.

However, a great deal more can be found here. A variety of gaming rants, and three stories of himself, his wife, and his daughter. They're just as funny, and they seem a lot more real.

Al Bruno's Website: http://www.albrunothethird.com/ab3frameset-1.htm.

Click on "Rants and Reviews", and scroll down a bit.

My favorite is: A Steaming Load Of Fatherhood: "Back To The Futon"*.

* More context on the above can be had by first reading, A Steaming Load Of Fatherhood: "Full Frontal Fatherhood" and A Steaming Load Of Fatherhood: "Heartwarming Dalek Childcare".
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:

Well said.

Sorry, but "Gaps" means lack of information, not that the information printed is actually wrong.

No.

If you read Rifts Japan you know it is a gap. Since after the Coming of the Rifts it was a group of quiet wilderness islands. The gap was in time.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:

Well said.

No.

If you read Rifts Japan you know it is a gap. Since after the Coming of the Rifts it was a group of quiet wilderness islands. The gap was in time.

Again, retconned books have no bearing on a discussion about the original intentions of Kevin Siembieda.
Unless you are arguing that KS originally intended to put out misleading information, then to expand on Japan in a later world book...?

RainOfSteel
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:[...] retconned books have no bearing on a discussion about the original intentions of Kevin Siembieda.

That has been stated and re-stated numerous times in this topic.

However, just to be a little contentious, I find the topic to be less about KS's actual "original" intentions, and more about our opinion of the differences between the RMB and what came later.

Some feel the RMB is in many ways superior, and wish it's tenets remained a true basis carried forward through the later world books. I agree largely, but not wholely, with this position. It also appears to me that you are in this group. I call this group, "Rifts Old School".

Some feel that the RMB was just a starting off point, and that it doesn't matter what came later, because they approve of most (but not necessarily all) of what came later. I call this group the, "Rifts Progressives".

I think it is great to outline both positions. Because now we can all unite under new political banners with official party nam . . . .

<Bam! Bam! Bam! />

We apologize for the inconvenience. RoS has been hospitalized for accute sanity loss issues. Please continue with your regularly scheduled posting.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

As far as the intentions of K.S. goes, it doesn't matter what his initial ideas were and what they are now when it comes to japan, it here like it or not.

second, the Traversing the world by Tarn was written in 100 P.A., it was in 87 P.A. that the city which would eventually become the Republic of Japan appeared in japan.

That tells me two things, first it tells me that although Erin has been around the world she has never been to Japan and doesn't know what she is talking about, and second that she probably is relying on information gathered during the Darkages when it was just a scattered bunch of Islands.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
RainOfSteel
Champion

GundamChief wrote:As far as the intentions of K.S. goes, it doesn't matter what his initial ideas were

A now 22 page long topic argues otherwise.

GundamChief wrote:it here like it or not.

This has been stipulated. I just myself went over it in my last post.

"Like it or not," i.e. a difference of opinion.

We are discussing that difference of opinion. Sources, causes, reasons, results, actions arising from, etc.

GundamChief wrote:second, the Traversing the world by Tarn was written in 100 P.A., it was in 87 P.A. that the city which would eventually become the Republic of Japan appeared in japan.

Traversing Our Modern World may have contained material writted by ET, but the book itself was not by Erin Tarn.

GundamChief wrote:That tells me two things, first it tells me that although Erin has been around the world she has never been to Japan and doesn't know what she is talking about, and second that she probably is relying on information gathered during the Darkages when it was just a scattered bunch of Islands.

No, it tells us something quite different. It says that new material was retconned over older material.

Some appreciate this.

Other's do not.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

GundamChief wrote:As far as the intentions of K.S. goes, it doesn't matter what his initial ideas were and what they are now when it comes to japan, it here like it or not.

The point of this thread is KS's original intentions.
If you think that's irrelevent, why are you even posting here?

second, the Traversing the world by Tarn was written in 100 P.A., it was in 87 P.A. that the city which would eventually become the Republic of Japan appeared in japan.

That tells me two things, first it tells me that although Erin has been around the world she has never been to Japan and doesn't know what she is talking about, and second that she probably is relying on information gathered during the Darkages when it was just a scattered bunch of Islands.

You don't seem to have read the posts in this thread.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

ok time to put my 2 creds in...
the question is did RJ deviate from KS's original vision?

in all likely hood yes...
what prolly happened was Rifts took off like the proverbial bat...
so rather than the 1 or 2 source books originally planned Kev decided to expand the world even more...someone submited a treatment for Rifts Japan...he liked the Idea and said run with it...
(this is pure speculation on my part, we will probably never know unless we can corner Kevin and ask him...(assuming we can remeber to ask about RJ along with all the other questions we will want ask))

Is it what i would have done? probably not...is it a good book? I think so...but your milage may vary
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Again, retconned books have no bearing on a discussion about the original intentions of Kevin Siembieda.
Unless you are arguing that KS originally intended to put out misleading information, then to expand on Japan in a later world book...?

The original intent of KS was clearly for the "Traversing Our Modern World" section in the RMB not to be 100% correct and not to lock in any possibility so what any book says falls completely within that intent no mater what it says.
-George Orwell
RainOfSteel
Champion

Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Again, retconned books have no bearing on a discussion about the original intentions of Kevin Siembieda.

The original intent of KS was clearly for the "Traversing Our Modern World" section in the RMB not to be 100% correct and not to lock in any possibility so what any book says falls completely within that intent no mater what it says.

As I mentioned. It represents the difference between what was and what became.

The Old School does not appreciate the change. Progressives do appreciate it.
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

This thread needs some levity since it wont die

I like pie

:lol:
Doing things the right way, the Coalition Way, since 1998...

-Richter
RainOfSteel
Champion

Richter wrote:This thread needs some levity since it wont die

I like pie

This topic is nothing.

I am assuming you have paged through This is the thread that never ends, it goes on and on...?

Now that was the never ending topic.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Richter wrote:This thread needs some levity since it wont die

I like pie

I enjoy pie as well. :lol:
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

original intent = this is how it is until we see some good manuscripts, how well this game will sell, come up with more ideas etc.

(RIFTS BECOMES A BIG HIT)

current vision = Kevins world as he sees it now and how he envisions it. Deal with it.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Seraphim wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:original intent = this is how it is until we see some good manuscripts, how well this game will sell, come up with more ideas etc.

current vision = Kevins world as he sees it now and how he envisions it. Deal with it.

Thank goodness! Someone finally grasps that it wasn't KS's original intent but rather a new idea once the books took off. Whew! Now maybe this thread will die...

Doubtful, I said pretty much the same thing back on page 1 and it didn't stop people from arguing for 19 more pages... :rolleyes: :lol:
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Seraphim wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:original intent = this is how it is until we see some good manuscripts, how well this game will sell, come up with more ideas etc.

Thank goodness! Someone finally grasps that it wasn't KS's original intent but rather a new idea once the books took off. Whew! Now maybe this thread will die...
Sorry, but I don't.

To paraphrase what I (and perhaps Doom) have said before, when Kevin had Erin Tarn say, in an "inaccurate" Book, the indeterminate Phrasing of "Millions died [as opposed to 'all' or 'wiped them out'] ......quiet clsuter of Wilderness islands" as opposed to "The Survivors lived only long enough to fall to Monsters" or "....I have no evidence that Humans have ever set foot here" or "........uninhabitated wasteland" means (to me) that Kevin did not mean to say that Japan was definitvely wiped out NOR that the Golden Age Japan survived intact.

To me, at least, he just wanted an Area of the world that he could fill in later if he so desired, or leave blank if he so desired, and not "paint himself into a corner" one way or the other over such a potentially interesting area of the Planet, in much the same way that he did with Erin Tarn's Statement on Austrailia.

I say again: if Kevin someday tries to come up with Rifts: Magic Zone or Rifts: Phillipines or Rifts: Moscow, then you'll have more of an argument.........

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:

So if he later decided to have Florida and Georgia filled with butterflies instead of dinosaurs, this would have fallen "completely within that original intent"...?
Or if Mexico lacked vampires...?
Or if Tolkeen was a fascist regime who hated mages more than the CS...?

I mean, Tarn was our only source for any of those aspects of Rifts Earth and following your argument none of what she said really indicated the intent of the author.... because it wasn't supposed to be 100% correct....

Killer Cyborg
Priest

cornholioprime wrote:To me, at least, he just wanted an Area of the world that he could fill in later if he so desired, or leave blank if he so desired, and not "paint himself into a corner" one way or the other over such a potentially interesting area of the Planet, in much the same way that he did with Erin Tarn's Statement on Austrailia.

Once again, if that's the case why'd he have a section on Japan at all?
Why not lump it in with "Australia and the rest of the world"...?

Because that's not the case. He didn't leave Japan blank, he left it empty.

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Just a quick question, and i don't mean to be a smart ass, but what does it matter what his original intent was? Everything that has come out has his seal of approval AND has seen the work of his hand (except Manuhunter)
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

It doesn't matter.
KS was just telling us something he found and his theory because, well, this is a forum for discussing RIFTS stuff.

Ask everyone whos getting bent out of shape about this why it matters :)

I thought the first few pages of discussion were great....then theres all those others heh

-Richter
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Galactus Kid wrote:Just a quick question, and i don't mean to be a smart ass, but what does it matter what his original intent was? Everything that has come out has his seal of approval AND has seen the work of his hand (except Manuhunter)

It's not a big deal, or rather it shouldn't be.

What happens is this:
I complain when a change (to the setting or the rules) is made.
People get offended and come out of the woodwork claiming that no actual change has been made.

For example, I personally think that the Japan book should never have been written. I think that having a significant lack of Japan is something that made Rifts Earth unique in futuristic quasi-cyberpunk settings. I got sick to death of cyber-ninjas back when Robocop III came out, and Street Samurai became a fast cliche after Shadowrun and other cyberpunk games got ahold of the idea.

Now all of that is my opinion, and I should be free to express my opinion here... just as people should be free to disagree with my opinion.
Ideally, we can all have a fun little discussion (or argument) over the quality of the book (or, in other cases, the rule/etc).

BUT it's hard to have any decent conversation when people are so eager to defend Palladium that they try to rewrite history by claiming that there has been no change.
That does nobody any good.. it only serves to waste time and bog down productive communication.

For example, YOU happen to like Rifts Japan. A lot of people do. I don't agree with that position, but I can certainly respect it.
You and I could, theoretically, chat about the book. I could point out all the many problems with the book and you could point out many of the things that you like about the book.
We could share, and learn.

This happened recently between Preacher (somebody whom I constantly disagree with) and I in a discussion about CS Armor (New Style vs. Old Style). I hate the new armor and love the original. Preacher has the opposite view.
We discussed it a bit (and likely will discuss it more) and he pointed out that the mouthpiece on the old armor looks pretty funky.
I never noticed it before, really... but I found myself agreeing with him on this aspect (though not the argument overall).
It's a nice conversation and people on both sides have a chance to learn from the other.

This would not be possible if Preacher had jumped up and claimed, "There has been no change. The CS armor is the same now as it originally was. You're just mistaken."

Same with Japan.
Maybe there's some good in that book that I'm missing... but I likely won't find out because every time the subject comes up, somebody crawls out of the woodwork to argue that there has been no change... that KS always intended for Rifts Japan to be populated, etc. etc.

And we end up arguing about whether or not the fictional character of Erin Tarn was mistaken or not, rather than spending the time on something more worthwhile.

And it was the same with the old "Two Attacks For Living" rule...
I say "Why was there a change?"
Somebody says, "There wasn't a change. It's always been that way."
I say "Then why does every NPC, sample character, and sample combat in the main book ignore those two attacks?"
They say, "Because not every NPC uses the same rules for character creation that player characters do."
I point out why that's nonsense.
And we get into a prolonged debate about whether or not that rule has always existed instead of a discussion about the particular merits and flaws of that rule.

Basically, the whole "It's always been that way" nonsense disrupts and derails interesting conversations. That's how this thread started, by the way... I, in another thread, mentioned in passing Japan having changed from the original version and somebody felt the need to "call me on it".
I see it as symptomatic of the over-zealousness that some Palladium super-fans have... they feel such a strong desire to defend their favorite company that they do more damage than good.
As I said, talking to KS about things was an extremely refreshing change.
He argued that he likes Rifts Japan, and he listened why I don't like it.
Whether or not it was his original vision never came up, except for me mentioning that I prefered Japan the way it originally was (not there).
We had a nice conversation, we both (hopefully) learned something new, and we moved on to other fun conversations.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Galactus Kid wrote:Just a quick question, and i don't mean to be a smart ass, but what does it matter what his original intent was? Everything that has come out has his seal of approval AND has seen the work of his hand (except Manuhunter)

And if you're asking why I personally care what his original vision is, that's easy.

Because I LOVE the world of Rifts as it was originally presented.
Unfortunately, the writers keep changing things.
Whether or not KS approves of it is irrelevent... the fact that George Lucas approved Episodes I-III does not mean that they are worthy prequels.

When Rifts first came out, things were original. Vampires in Mexico, bugmen to the north, dinosaurs in Florida, etc.
But after a bit, the quality and originality went sharply downhill.
Every nation (most of which didn't need to be covered in the first place) got a book full of stereotypes for that area.
England got knights, South America got Conquistadors, Canada got Mounties, and (of course) Japan got cyber-ninjas.

And it still bugs me that they spent the effort on writing a book about a place that was destroyed. There were (and are) plenty of places mentioned by Erin Tarn in the main book as being populated and important in the world that STILL don't have worldbooks... I've been waiting for over a decade for Madhaven (now covered, thank you), Dinosaur Swamps (Thanks, Todd Yoho!), Shaedo, and a dozen other places in the main book.
Heck, Chi-Town is STILL a huge blank spot (although the Burbs are getting covered), and it's the most significant place in north America!

So it bugged me (and still does) that Palladium went out of its way to detail some place that was supposed to no longer exist (and that is on the other side of the planet from the action), in order to toss in a bunch of mega-cliches... when all the places that I (and others) have been looking forward to for YEARS went unaddressed and ignored.

But that's all discussion for another thread.
Start one up about the quality of the Rifts Japan book, if you like...

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:So if he later decided to have Florida and Georgia filled with butterflies instead of dinosaurs, this would have fallen "completely within that original intent"...?
Or if Tolkien was a fascist regime who hated mages more than the CS...?

I mean, Tarn was our only source for any of those aspects of Rifts Earth and following your argument none of what she said really indicated the intent of the author.... because it wasn't supposed to be 100% correct....

Not really because those areas had details. An occasional detail can be wrong but not 100% wrong. If you don't know what's there or what is going to be there you put nothing there.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:So if he later decided to have Florida and Georgia filled with butterflies instead of dinosaurs, this would have fallen "completely within that original intent"...?
Or if Tolkien was a fascist regime who hated mages more than the CS...?

Not really because those areas had details. An occasional detail can be wrong but not 100% wrong. If you don't know what's there or what is going to be there you put nothing there.

Tarn's description of Japan had details.
1. Quiet.
2. Wilderness.
3. Chain of islands.
4. Destroyed in the apocalypse.

The fact that these were the only details worth mentioning shows that there was nothing else significant going on.

What, you think that KS wrote that passage while thinking, "I can always add in a high-tech city and a bunch of other kewl stuff! I mean, I never specifically said that there wasn't other stuff there...." :?:

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Tarn's description of Japan had details.
1. Quiet.
2. Wilderness.
3. Chain of islands.

Which equals nothing.

The fact that these were the only details worth mentioning shows that there was nothing else significant going on.

What, you think that KS wrote that passage while thinking, "I can always add in a high-tech city and a bunch of other kewl stuff! I mean, I never specifically said that there wasn't other stuff there...." :?:

Actually because of the fact that it says some of the things in the world overview may be wrong I do not expect everything in it to be correct.
Therefore Japan being the way it is is perfectly consistent.
If everything was the same as what was written in the main book then there would be something wrong.
-George Orwell
RainOfSteel
Champion

Richter wrote:KS was just telling us something he found and his theory because, well, this is a forum for discussing RIFTS stuff.

Did KS make a post and I missed it? :(
RainOfSteel
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:... the fact that George Lucas approved Episodes I-III does not mean that they are worthy prequels.

Amen! (If I write anything more, it'll hijack the topic with more than just a small drift.)

Killer Cyborg wrote:When Rifts first came out, things were original. Vampires in Mexico, bugmen to the north, dinosaurs in Florida, etc.

I feel dinosaurs are cliche at this point no matter what.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Every nation (most of which didn't need to be covered in the first place) got a book full of stereotypes for that area.
England got knights, South America got Conquistadors, Canada got Mounties, and (of course) Japan got cyber-ninjas.

Interesting, I never really thought of it in a light so unified.

Killer Cyborg wrote: when all the places that I (and others) have been looking forward to for YEARS went unaddressed and ignored.

Hmm, I think that may overstate the situation. In the creative writing process, often you have to write what you have in your head. Trying to force something else can be a disaster.

If they'd had a great Chi-Town book to print, I bet it would have been printed by now.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Seraphim wrote:How many ninja's are dead?

One, at the very least. And the moral of the story is, "Never bring your motorcycle on a submarine."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
1. Quiet.
2. Wilderness.
3. Chain of islands.

Which equals nothing.

Exactly.
Quiet + Wilderness + Destroyed in the Apocalypse = Nothing.
There is nothing there.

Actually because of the fact that it says some of the things in the world overview may be wrong I do not expect everything in it to be correct.

It never says that some of the things in the overview may be wrong.
It says that there may be gaps, not that there may be errors.

Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

I'd just like to say now, sorta offtopic

I'd love a Chi-Town book. Theres PLENTY in it to write about.
I also agree they should have covered the "happening" place (North America) alot more fully before doing tons of world books out in the middle of nowhere. Whereas I dont mind the cliches as much as Killer (tho I do hate anything with Ninjas) the 'off site' books from North America I feel were brought in before truly needed.

I should prolly go look thru all the Tarn ramblings, and various info sources in the books, and find out how much awesome North America stuff I'd like to see hit print.

-Richter
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:
1. Quiet.
2. Wilderness.
3. Chain of islands.

Which equals nothing.

Exactly.
Quiet + Wilderness + Destroyed in the Apocalypse = Nothing.
There is nothing there.

It never says that some of the things in the overview may be wrong.
It says that there may be gaps, not that there may be errors.

Gaps in knowledge equal errors.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Every nation (most of which didn't need to be covered in the first place) got a book full of stereotypes for that area.

The US got Nazis.
Germany didn't...

:P
-George Orwell
RainOfSteel
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:Gaps in knowledge equal errors.

A lack of knowledge is not in and of itself an error, as long as that gap is a known quantity. "I don't know about Australia," is not an error. "I don't know about Japan but am writing down information about it and am not mentioning (as I do in so many other cases) that it might be suspect," is something else. (And let us not attempt to use information that was only created later and retconned over the past in an attempt to say otherwise.)

However, I can state that there is evidence of ET presenting information as effectively factual that is patently false based only on the information available in the RMB.

ET writes that she "understands" that the Chi-Town Burbs lose 30% of their population to various calamities each year, right after stating its population is three million. Yes, that's right, one million die a year, and somehow at least 900-950k new refugees show up each and every year (the rest being filled out by new births).

As if there were that gigantic a population of people to be found in other parts of NA who also possessed the means and wherewithal to make the journey to to Chi-Town, and that such a giant population was available to make that decision each year. Not counting that some would die on the perilous journey, so the number that began the journey would be higher than the number that actually arrived at Chi-Town. What, is the population of the rest of NA vastly higher than that of Chi-Town itself (as in bigger by tens of millions)? How is it that everyone that surrounds them has a far lower population, and those populations are, typically, magic using and unlikely to go anywhere near Chi-Town, but that 900-950k people pop into existence and show up in the Burbs each year? Oh! I know! They're all coming out of the Rifts. Yes, the Burb population are all d-bees, even all the human looking ones, some of whom actually get cleared and admitted to live in Chi-Town. Well, Mr. Prosek, it looks like a great deal of your population is composed of people that you have sworn to wipe out. :D
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

Dr. Doom III wrote:

The US got Nazis.
Germany didn't...

Doom is my hero

-Richter
Killer Cyborg
Priest

I assume that you support the Intelligent Design Theory, then...?

I mean, since there are gaps in our knowledge regarding evolution, that would (by your logic) equal errors in the theory...?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:

The US got Nazis.
Germany didn't...

That happened in the main book.
Back before the cliches.
Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

RainOfSteel wrote:

A lack of knowledge is not in and of itself an error, as long as that gap is a known quantity. "I don't know about Australia," is not an error. "I don't know about Japan but am writing down information about it and am not mentioning (as I do in so many other cases) that it might be suspect," is something else. (And let us not attempt to use information that was only created later and retconned over the past in an attempt to say otherwise.)

Actually she didn't write it down. Someone else did. She refused to sanction it because she was unsure how much of her knowledge contained therein was correct. As is the case with Japan it was not or at least out of date.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

Actually she didn't write it down. Someone else did. She refused to sanction it because she was unsure how much of her knowledge contained therein was correct. As is the case with Japan it was not or at least out of date.

What book are you reading?

According to the Rifts book (p. 137):
-Traversing Our Modern World was compiled from Erin Tarn's letters and notes. Meaning she wrote the words herself.
-"...even the intrepid historian Tarn has vast gaps in her knowledge of the world. It is this lack of complete knowledge that made her refuse to write the volume herself, or personally endorse the much sought after publication."

Lack of complete knowledge does not mean errors in what was actually written.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

What book are you reading?

According to the Rifts book (p. 137):
-Traversing Our Modern World was compiled from Erin Tarn's letters and notes. Meaning she wrote the words herself.
-"...even the intrepid historian Tarn has vast gaps in her knowledge of the world. It is this lack of complete knowledge that made her refuse to write the volume herself, or personally endorse the much sought after publication."

Lack of complete knowledge does not mean errors in what was actually written.

It was incomplete.
She didn't know that Japan had a new empire rebuilt after the destruction and subsqusant migration and that pre Rifts cities were rifted in.

Can't get more incomplete then that.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Lack of complete knowledge does not mean errors in what was actually written.

It was incomplete.
She didn't know that Japan had a new empire rebuilt after the destruction and subsqusant migration and that pre Rifts cities were rifted in.

Can't get more incomplete then that.

Again, you seem to be claiming that KS always intended for there to be an empire there along with pre-rifts cities.
There is no basis for this claim.
IF he had any intentions for Japan other than what Tarn said, then it would logically have been indicated somehow. Either by pointing out that Tarn was working off of rumors, or by lumping Japan in with places that she knows nothing about.

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Or 3. He didn't have a clue what he wanted to do with Japan yet so he wrote through Erin Tarn that it was destroyed leaving it so that if he wanted to come back to it later and actually do something with it he could, and just say she was only writing the rumors she had heard, or he could leave it as she said, destroyed and not bother.

Daniel Stoker

I choose door #3, Monty.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Actually, this brings up another important note, that is typically agreed upon by many:

Who cares what Erin Tarn says?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D

Return to “Rifts®”