3rd world countries.

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The Bugs are, by their nature, all about the oil refineries in the Middle East. They would be VERY interested in keeping them running. Oil = energy = food.
LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Unread post by LJ »

That would be funny to experiment with. :lol:
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The-Mighty-Buddha wrote:Or maybe the Bugs just said "Man...theres nothin we want in those places...and those guys got tons o guns!!! Lets work on the US."

One other thing. Last figures I checked, there were 125 million guns in civilian hands in the U.S. in 1998. The guns don't phase the Bugs at all.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

plus you have all the terrorists and insurgent forces, which are well schooled in guerilla warfare.

adjust the SF OCC's for the "spray and pray" fighting style of the arabs, and your set.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

hey, in america those who own guns for purposes other than the vague "home defense" take time and money to get fairly good with them. not to the level of the military, but in game terms to get a WP in them.
(though i agree with you on the splatterpunk issue. criminals tend not to develop much skill in weapons.)

i'd be considered an egghead in SF, and i'm consistantly one of the better shots in my family. which is rather impressive, considering i've only shot a rifle a few dozen times, and my family tends toward the Ex-military (i'm only a bit worse than my grampa, and he's a 60 year old ex-marine), and regular hunters (my uncle hunts deer with bow, rifle, and musket every year, as well as turkey, and duck. all legal hunting)

now in many third world countries, training tends to be giving the person an AK, letting him shoot at random things a few times to get the feel of the weapon, and then sending him into combat. very few have any kind of well trained military, and most of those that do where either trained by us or the old soviets, or learned it fighting us or the old soviets. and even then, our military is consistantly better, it's just the 3rd worlders tactics tend towards terrorism and guerilla warfare, of which the US is rather weak on combating (we're getting better though.)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't see that after 8 years of anarchy your average person is going to be a crack shot or even have much more training than exactly what you just described now takes place in the 3rd world.

except that the average person in SF is bug bait, or a silkworm zombie.
the people fighting where the hunters, ex-military, gun nuts, ect. so the average freedom fighter in SF is going to be a good shot to begin with, and with 8 years of constant practice and a brutal "weeding out" process that eliminates those that don't advance their skills, the freedom fighters would be fairly good.

Besides, I've always felt Palladium combat to be a little too precise; you can't have raging gun battles that last for an hour or more because you can usually shoot, hit and kill a man even under cover within the course of a minute or two.

the average RL (Real life) gunbattle only takes a minute or two to take down a person, even when lots of cover and suppressive fire is involved. battles as a whole can take hours, since their are lots of people involved over large area's.

so in the game you can't have many running battles that last for hours between 2 opponents, but in RL thats true as well. battles can last for hours, but thats basically the surviving troops moving to fight a new group of enemies.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Well...living in a third world country... :lol:

Guns aren't that prevelent...must be the fact tat they weigh on the order of 1000 kilos or so. Firearms...sidearms and longarms...they are more prevelent, but it still is less than 1 to 10 households right now. But, with one of the largest urban warfare zones...er, most powerful first world country on our southern border...that is (unfortunately) slowly changing!

Canadian and DAMN proud of living in the GREATEST country in the world! - me
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Systems Failure™”