Halloween in Rifts Earth Culture?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Halloween in Rifts Earth Culture?

Unread post by darthauthor »

Do humans still party for Halloween on Rifts Earth?

I imagine they would still have superstitions
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Halloween in Rifts Earth Culture?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd imagine that some traditions might survive.. but i suspect that where they do, a lot of them have slid back into older forms. Halloween is derived from All hallows eve, a time of remembrance and respect for those that had passed on. and it was a christianization of traditions like Samhain and Allantide, which were fall festivals that mixed thanksgiving for a successful harvest with recognition of the spiritual world around you, including the lingering souls of the dead, 'fairies', nature spirits/gods, and so on.

it seems likely that the survivors of the cataclysm would ressurect, in spirit if not detail, many of these older traditions in an effort to appease whatever supernatural things exist in their area.

i also wouldn't be surprised if in some parts of north america, the Día de los Muertos (day of the dead) festival traditions don't continue.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

After two centuries of absolute strife and darkness, humanity just clawing itself back from the brink, methinks old pastimes (e.g. Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Chanukah, Eid, Ramadan, Dharma Day) would be long-since forgotten. Not to say the CS might not have developed other rituals or civic holidays, but ones based around calendar events that typically also coincide with increased ley line activity doesn't seem like something I'd associate with the CS. <shrug>

That said, it's a GM's call. I certainly won't pack my character sheet if the GM suddenly makes it a component of their adventure, LOL.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

desrocfc wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:36 am After two centuries of absolute strife and darkness, humanity just clawing itself back from the brink, methinks old pastimes (e.g. Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Chanukah, Eid, Ramadan, Dharma Day) would be long-since forgotten. Not to say the CS might not have developed other rituals or civic holidays, but ones based around calendar events that typically also coincide with increased ley line activity doesn't seem like something I'd associate with the CS. <shrug>

That said, it's a GM's call. I certainly won't pack my character sheet if the GM suddenly makes it a component of their adventure, LOL.
I tend to agree this is what should happen. With re: to Halloween specifically, its customs/traditions/rituals/etc will likely only survive if they work. For example, if putting on costumes (in general) doesn't work (as its supposed to against SN/CoM/spirits on that night) that part of the tradition may die off quickly (or abandoning costume styles that don't work).

We know there is a Preacher OCC (WB14: NW) and Priests in several books, though IIRC they are presented as "generic as possible" so they might be able to represent some form of the Abrahamic Faiths, in addition to the established Pantheons (or AI). Though I would suspect that holidays we practice today may not look the same if they manage to survive at all.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Having just recently rewatched Halloween III: Season of the Witch, I could see some of the more regressed communities reverting back to blood sacrifices (human or otherwise), & especially the "Blood Druids" of England (Cochrane stole one of the standing stones from Stonehenge & figured out a way to essentially link shards from the stone into a digitally-triggered summoning circle).

Just think...with ley lines & high PPE levels, a Cochrane-like villain wouldn't even need to rely on network/satellite broadcast to initiate it...
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

A definite lack of Snickers bars and M&Ms.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Grazzik
Adventurer