Line of Sight?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

filo_clarke
Adventurer

Line of Sight?

Unread post by filo_clarke »

In a situation where an enemy is concealed from view, but an alternate means of "seeing" them is available, can a spell still be cast?

Example: You are fighting an enemy who is hunckered down behind a vehicle, out of view, but you would still REALLY like to use Call Lightning on them. You pull out your trusty crystal ball (or portable drone aircraft, or clairvoyance ability) and can now "see" him. He is within range of the spell. Can a spell that requires "line of sight" be used with an alternate sight line?

Canon answers. Opinions. Thoughts?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Line of Sight?

Unread post by Bill »

I don't know of a canon answer. In my opinion, you can use an alternate source of visual data to achieve the line of sight for indirect spell effects like lightning bolt. You must physically be within the listed range of the spell, but as long as you can direct the spell to the target it should work whether you're staring right at them or orienting through a device. I think it would be more flavorful to restrict it to mystical forms of observation, but that line can get very blurry with techno-wizards in the mix.
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

Not sure of any Canon rules either, on this. I've allowed it via Home Rules, with the same conditions as Bill. In area, alt sight, & spell is not one that is a directly from the mage. So, powerbolt/firebolt would be out, but Call Lightning, Carpet of Adhesion, etc.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I don't think this is ever addressed specifically, but keep in mind looking at a monitor displaying an image isn't actually the person. If I watch the Avengers movie, neither Robert Downey Jr nor Chris Evans are in my house, and they're not in my line of sight. My TV is in line of sight, and their images displayed upon it.

Now if you can actually see the person through the cover (like if you had x-ray eyes are can see the heat signature or something), then I'd argue line of sight (with indirect attacks, as obstacles would still obstruct direct fire). But if your line of sight is an object that is viewing them, then YOU do not have line of sight on that person. Note: I'd allow someone with x-ray goggles or other head gear that can enhance vision as well, the same as I wouldn't penalize someone who needed glasses to see. But it would still require you to see the person in direct line of sight.

Take that for what you will. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

Our rule is line or sight or you know the exact location. This rule was more for stationary targets; You see the desk, someone then move and blocks your view of the desk, you could still cast stuff on the desk (assuming the desk hasn't moved) It made for fun when the objects did get moved. Your using a remote viewing device would tell you the exact location, so as long as you are with range, my group would allow it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I think the only spells that benefits from any remote viewing is the T-port self and T-port Sup. that is because the mage can use picture to focus on for the targeting of the spell.

But then you have to consider the spell itself and why the LoS requirement was put into the spell. Is it something that damages the 1st thing it hits? Is it a mental influencing spell? Or any other thing that needs a clear path to the target of the spell for it to effect the target?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I say it works.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would only allow it if light reflected from the individual was what you were seeing... so a mirror, but not a drone or a scrying device. Otherwise, you don't really have "Line of Sight"... you know their location, but that's not the same thing.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Astral projection and then cast spells?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

"Line of sight" literally means you can draw an imaginary line directly between the observer and the target. Viewing the target on a screen or crystal ball gives you line of sight to the screen or crystal ball, not to the target.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Line of sight is still necessary for those indirect spells like call lightning, if you can't see where it is going to land you can't hit a target.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

filo_clarke wrote:In a situation where an enemy is concealed from view, but an alternate means of "seeing" them is available, can a spell still be cast?

Example: You are fighting an enemy who is hunckered down behind a vehicle, out of view, but you would still REALLY like to use Call Lightning on them. You pull out your trusty crystal ball (or portable drone aircraft, or clairvoyance ability) and can now "see" him. He is within range of the spell. Can a spell that requires "line of sight" be used with an alternate sight line?

Canon answers. Opinions. Thoughts?

Can you still cast a spell, yes. Will it behave like you expect/want it to all the time? No.

"Line of Sight" can be involved with two things in the casting of the spell (or other power) IMHO:
1. the path the "effect" travels from its point of origin, which may or may not be the caster
2. the ability of the caster to see where he/she/it is targeting

The first thing is more important here. If the effect generated originates from the caster, then you need direct line of sight on the desired target and "alt. means of sight" don't help. If the effect generated has its origins somewhere else, then I would say yes though would likely incur a penalty to strike as such methods can distort perception ("objects in mirror are closer than they appear"), and w/n the Pyrokenesis/Burster Power (forget which form) there is a skill check involved with gauging distances, so some precedent for a skill check/modifier.

The second thing can fall under direct line of sight, or indirect line of sight. direct line of sight is what they can see by just looking in a given direction. Indirect line of sight has some type of augmentation allowing them to see around/past/through obstacles.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Scouting with a Familiar or Remote Viewing would be good for teleports I guess.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Reason I allow Clairvoyance targeting.

Using scry mirror targeting, Mystic Portal delivery system, a fair amount of fusion blocks can be delivered.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”