your favorite palladium setting

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Re: your favorite palladium setting

Unread post by parkhyun »

Man, this is such a simple question, and I'm going to give a ridiculously long answer.

My favorite setting is my own, Robotech: Mauve Squadron, which mixes Macross-setting Robotech with Paranoia, a non-Palladium game, and adds Morlocks. I got into Palladium because I was a kid in love with Robotech, and it has a place deep in my heart. That said, I need to make fun of it, because it's totally ridiculous.

I think Ninjas and Superspies brought Palladium's clunky rules into something beyond a D&D clone, and whenever I've looked at any other game's combat, I've always compared it to N&S's baseline. They never come close.

Rifts could have taken that beautiful combat system and my love of Robotech, and created the ultimate techno-horror rpg masterpiece. I think, unfortunately, that Rifts is now too messy to play - or even explain. You can have too much of a good thing.

Heroes Unlimited, despite its ironic limitations, works beautifully with N&S's advanced combat system. I played a lot of superhero games, and HU always worked best, perhaps because it so limited characters initially that you had to emphasize thinking and character.

Palladium Fantasy, 1st E. is the only fantasy game that's peaked my curiosity. It's raw medieval approach combined with the no-SDC rule made it dirty and deadly. The more I read about the world, unfortunately, the less interested I got. My players liked moving our campaign over to PF rules from D&D 4e, but struggled to understand Palladium's very different mindset, and I think (unfairly) felt handicapped, because their all-too-cool combat moves suddenly disappeared and they had to think their way through encounters.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

parkhyun wrote:Man, this is such a simple question, and I'm going to give a ridiculously long answer.

My favorite setting is my own, Robotech: Mauve Squadron, which mixes Macross-setting Robotech with Paranoia, a non-Palladium game, and adds Morlocks. I got into Palladium because I was a kid in love with Robotech, and it has a place deep in my heart. That said, I need to make fun of it, because it's totally ridiculous.

Could you talk a bit more about this? Id really like to hear how this worked.
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

ScottBernard wrote:
parkhyun wrote:Man, this is such a simple question, and I'm going to give a ridiculously long answer.

Could you talk a bit more about this? Id really like to hear how this worked.

Sure. I call it "Paranoia with Veritechs," or alternately, "The Macross Saga, as written by Joseph Heller." Take the Robotech RPG, set it in space during the Macross timeline, make the SDF-1 work like Alpha Complex, and toss in a random attack or two by morlocks, to make things interesting. How does it work? Actually, I don't know. Never got anyone to play a campaign with me. However, YOU just volunteered to try it with your friends and report back to me how many of them died. Also, how many of their PCs died.

Rules and Setting here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=143422

Adventures and NPCs here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141923

Details on Morlocks and the Internal Security Bureau here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=145053

Veni, vidi, vomiti!
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Palladium Fantasy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Probably a tossup between Mutants in Orbit and Wormwood. They've both got some pretty serious issues that need fixing (the MiO setting's kinda not as well thought out as it could be, and all the Wormwood game mechanics are unsalvagable crap), but both settings are full of heart and have loads of potential.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”