Samson Rail Gun?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eashamahel
Hero

Samson Rail Gun?

Unread post by Eashamahel »

So, the Samson is a big favourite of mine, for those who remember it started out way back when in the original RMB. It doesn't really offer anything special, but for some reason, probably because I like all things old and clunky, I have always been a fan. It's one of the most common Power Armours to show up in games I have run over the years, and I was always excited to see new art for the suit slowly appear in different books over the years.

However, I have a question for everyone else. The Samson is equipped with built in mini-missile launchers in each forearm, and is even shown in the original art firing one such forearm rocket, however, it is also said to have an NG-202 super railgun. This gun is noted to have a 'greater payload than the machine-gun version', the power armour is said to have ammo drums, the nuclear supply of the gun is linked directly iinto the Power Armour, ect. To me this means that the Power armour comes with a heavy rail gun used rifle style, pretty much exactly like the SAMAS.

The thing is, I have never seen a picture of the Samson actually holding the rifle. I realize that the artwork often doesn't match the descriptions (for a variety of reasons), but has anyone else seen a picture of the Samson actually with this gun? Or am I totally wrong and the gun is built into the armour?

Among other pictures, the Samson appears in the Game Master Guide on page 69 holding a pistol/bullpup style rifle of some sort, which I highly doubt is the 202, as well as page 213 of the GMG (this is also the picture that appears in the R:UE book under the Robot pilot, there is another in the picture section on page 106 of the R:UE book). The picture on 213 more closely matches the original description, with a tubular weapon on the left forearm. I had always assumed that tube was the mini-missile launcher, but on the opposite arm there is a clear forearm mini-missile launcher (though it has three tubes, and each arm is supposed to have two missiles...).

It is a small matter, but with one of the Northern Gun books out, it occured to me that there might be a picture that more or less clears this up for me. Anyone noticed one?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Samson Rail Gun?

Unread post by jaymz »

You may have to wait for NG2 as NG1 did not have any power armours in it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Also, we may get an "upgrade" simmilar to the Block IV Hunter-Gun. ;)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Most of the older samson art was kinda suspect I am pretty sure that bullpup gun is actually the main gun. I am very much looking forward to a some new samson art.
Eashamahel
Hero

I thought that it might be, as it was the first time the Samson was even shown HOLDING a gun, and under the listing for 'other energy weapons' it notes that they can be stored in a compartment, meaning that the Samson likely can't use basic infantry style weapons (even it's railgun is different than the 'machinegun' version), but now I don't think so. For one, it doesn't look like anything NG tech, or like the samson, or like a railgun much at all. Plus it's both not hooked into the Samson power system (at least not through a visible cord) and not hooked up to an ammo drum SAMAS style.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:I thought that it might be, as it was the first time the Samson was even shown HOLDING a gun, and under the listing for 'other energy weapons' it notes that they can be stored in a compartment, meaning that the Samson likely can't use basic infantry style weapons (even it's railgun is different than the 'machinegun' version), but now I don't think so. For one, it doesn't look like anything NG tech, or like the samson, or like a railgun much at all. Plus it's both not hooked into the Samson power system (at least not through a visible cord) and not hooked up to an ammo drum SAMAS style.

The art for the samson has been pretty weird over the years. The biggest most "complete" one is one of the dinosaur swamp cover art but that one seems drastically oversized for a sampson. A sampson should only be like 8-10 feet tall and on that cover it looks more like 20ish feet tall but the helmet design and other body makes it pretty clearly a samson.
Eashamahel
Hero

I totally forgot that was on the cover of Adventures, good call, though you are right, it looks about the size of the small Titan robot in that picture.

On a random good note, looking up the book cover in the store, i see that the coding error that had been there for so long seems to have been fixed. Huzzah!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Eashamahel wrote:It doesn't really offer anything special

Actually... often overlooked, but it was and still is one of the fastest power armors (when it comes to running) on Rifts Earth.

~ Josh
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:It doesn't really offer anything special

Actually... often overlooked, but it was and still is one of the fastest power armors (when it comes to running) on Rifts Earth.

~ Josh

Yes at 170 MPH even things like the terrain hopper cannot keep up with a samson at full speed. Also having a 1d6x10 main gun and some mini missiles and a good solid amor value its really an all around excellent no nonsense armor.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I;d say it may be THE fastest running PA at 240kph. Other may be faster but not necessarily at running speed
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

jaymz wrote:I;d say it may be THE fastest running PA at 240kph. Other may be faster but not necessarily at running speed

I do think it is the fastest or very close to fastest pure ground running unit most of the other fast ones are hoppers.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The thing is, I have never seen a picture of the Samson actually holding the rifle. I realize that the artwork often doesn't match the descriptions (for a variety of reasons), but has anyone else seen a picture of the Samson actually with this gun? Or am I totally wrong and the gun is built into the armour?

The Samson is 11ft tall, would a rifle sized for a human (say 6ft, though could go smaller) even appear as a Rifle in its hands? It would look more like a sub-machinegun or oversized pistol wouldn't it

Off hand I don't recall any depictions of the Samson outside of the Main RPG. Merc Ops has the NX12 variant depicted with a rifle pg76, but that is a Particle Beam Rifle variant of another Rifle optimized for underwater use.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well teh NG-202 Rifle version would be much larger than a "human" sized rifle i would think...maybe .50 MG sized...

\m/
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well if it is .50cal. sized machinegun, yeah it might look more like a rifle for an 11ft tall person.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

ShadowLogan wrote:

The Samson is 11ft tall, would a rifle sized for a human (say 6ft, though could go smaller) even appear as a Rifle in its hands? It would look more like a sub-machinegun or oversized pistol wouldn't it

Off hand I don't recall any depictions of the Samson outside of the Main RPG. Merc Ops has the NX12 variant depicted with a rifle pg76, but that is a Particle Beam Rifle variant of another Rifle optimized for underwater use.

In the RUE there are some pictures of samsons in the color pictures from the old card game and also in the GMG and the cover art for dinosaur swamp adventures I believe.
Eashamahel
Hero

ShadowLogan wrote:The Samson is 11ft tall, would a rifle sized for a human (say 6ft, though could go smaller) even appear as a Rifle in its hands? It would look more like a sub-machinegun or oversized pistol wouldn't it

Yeah, Rifle sized weapons are not useable by it, which makes sense as in the description of weaponry it has it mentions 'other energy weapons' and notes they can be stored in a storage compartment, implying that the power armour can't use them.

The NG 202 though is a HUGE railgun, and this is also said to be a bit different than the machinegun version, so i would think a 4-5ft long, 200lb gun would be about a perfect rifle for such a power armour.

The Samson also (I believe) has small thrusters to assist it in jumping, as well as a great ground speed. 4 mini-missiles (two in each arm) is a good boost, and it's main weapon has range, great damage, and can have a TON of ammo if the samson is carrying a second ammo drum, plus it does extra MD on punches. It's extremely versatile.

It's main downside is that it is HUGE, it's a massive power armour, which fits with the original vision of NG, which it can produce things CLOSE to the CS, but just can't pack everythig in, and it's always going to be bigger and heavier for the same stats. It's really close to a SAMAS on MD, has the same missile system (but doubled), the same weapon system (but does more MD, though it weighs WAY more as well), even jump jets. But it can't actually fly. And it doesn't get the SAMAS targeting bonuses. And it's around three feet larger...

It is a great, versatile, all around power armour though, good for combat and scouting. I always liked how the Cyber Knight in Vampire Kingdoms owned one to use for scouting, and I pretty much always took one for my Headhunters.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Eashamahel wrote:The Samson also (I believe) has small thrusters to assist it in jumping, as well as a great ground speed. 4 mini-missiles (two in each arm) is a good boost, and it's main weapon has range, great damage, and can have a TON of ammo if the samson is carrying a second ammo drum, plus it does extra MD on punches.

The Samson does have thrusters for jumping. However, that extra ammo drum can't be used without another present to help get it.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:The Samson is 11ft tall, would a rifle sized for a human (say 6ft, though could go smaller) even appear as a Rifle in its hands? It would look more like a sub-machinegun or oversized pistol wouldn't it

Yeah, Rifle sized weapons are not useable by it, which makes sense as in the description of weaponry it has it mentions 'other energy weapons' and notes they can be stored in a storage compartment, implying that the power armour can't use them.

The NG 202 though is a HUGE railgun, and this is also said to be a bit different than the machinegun version, so i would think a 4-5ft long, 200lb gun would be about a perfect rifle for such a power armour.

The Samson also (I believe) has small thrusters to assist it in jumping, as well as a great ground speed. 4 mini-missiles (two in each arm) is a good boost, and it's main weapon has range, great damage, and can have a TON of ammo if the samson is carrying a second ammo drum, plus it does extra MD on punches. It's extremely versatile.

It's main downside is that it is HUGE, it's a massive power armour, which fits with the original vision of NG, which it can produce things CLOSE to the CS, but just can't pack everythig in, and it's always going to be bigger and heavier for the same stats. It's really close to a SAMAS on MD, has the same missile system (but doubled), the same weapon system (but does more MD, though it weighs WAY more as well), even jump jets. But it can't actually fly. And it doesn't get the SAMAS targeting bonuses. And it's around three feet larger...

It is a great, versatile, all around power armour though, good for combat and scouting. I always liked how the Cyber Knight in Vampire Kingdoms owned one to use for scouting, and I pretty much always took one for my Headhunters.

Actually The samson is not that big for power armor. It is 11 feet tall which is taller than the samas at 8ft but well short of the ulti max at 14 feet. That is why the cover for dinosaur adventures does not make much sense on the cover it looks like it must be 15-20 feet tall given the lady barely comes up to its knee. But really its size is pretty much smack in the middle of the expected power armor size range.
Eashamahel
Hero

Yeah, but the Ulti-max specifically states it is often argued that it is a small Robot Vehichle, and just like all Power Armour in that mid-way size point (like the GB Killer) it is not piloted in the way Power Armour are, but instead has a cockpit and the pilot doesn't physically move himself to move it.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:Yeah, but the Ulti-max specifically states it is often argued that it is a small Robot Vehichle, and just like all Power Armour in that mid-way size point (like the GB Killer) it is not piloted in the way Power Armour are, but instead has a cockpit and the pilot doesn't physically move himself to move it.

Yup but there still is that high end of the power armor range like that and the glitter boy killer things that are sorta on the upper edge of power armor lower edge of robot vehicle. most of these are in the 14-16 foot tall range.

Samson is pretty close to the middle of the power armor range at 11 feet a bit bigger than things like the samas but nowheres as big as the ones that are bordering on robot vehicle size.
Eashamahel
Hero

Yeah, it's a large power armour for the original generation of SAMAS, Flying Titan, Terrain Hopper, Predator, ect, pretty close to a 'heavy' true power armour, before they are piloted like robot vehichles , but still called power armour for... some reason.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Given the samsons insane run speed it would almost make more sense if it was piloted like the GB killer and the ulti max.
Eashamahel
Hero

It does have that extra damage in close combat with the punches, and it was about as strong as a power armour could get for those first generations.

I just like it as a super fast, mobile infantryman, with it's 'assault rifle' and it's backup (mini-missiles instead of grenades), being able to fight ant move, but not being crazy fancy.

Return to “Rifts®”