On wings of fire; Phoenix Force & Prelude to Minion War

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: On wings of fire; Phoenix Force & Prelude to Minion War

Unread post by taalismn »

Lost Seraph wrote:Nope, they still get a lot of products and are less vocal then we are. Plus we have rules for sanity and clones, and insane clones at that.

You sure? Because CoC's SAN rules almost INSURE you'll go stark raving blurba-blurba(unless you have the perception of a rock or an English aristocratic twit), and it's not unusual to go through five or six clone bodies in a proper Paranoia game. :clown:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*Gendo Pose* :demon:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I like the addition. I hope they keep coming.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Lost Seraph wrote:You know, Dhak, Gendo did ultimately fail in the first Evangelion. Shouldn't that be a Shinji pose performing Third Impact?

"Your hands are superglued together like that and you're too proud to ask for help, right?"
"....oh, shut up...."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Spoiler:
Authors note: this may be the last post of the campaign in these here Palladium Forum threads. I dunno, but due to the amount of trolls infesting the forums and what seems to be distinct lack of feedback, except from a very few, I've kinda lost motivation to continue "HERE". We'll see how I feel later on.

The Blackstone Fortress (Non-40k version)
Back in Tolkeen, no sign of the Coalition could be found. It was hoped that the neo-fascists had pulled back to one of their other bases further away, and would not return for at least a few days. As the team approached the location they were given for Thomas’s work-shop, they saw a massive sprawling 2 storey fortress constructed of black rock of some sort. At the South eastern corner of the fort was Thomas Carmichael’s re-purposed warehouse; blackened and broken. Jack Chirax took point with Felix beside him, but on inspection they found nothing: no bodies, no devices…nothing. When Uno was asked to come forward and verify that this was indeed Thomas’s facility, the gynoid nodded and replied that the place had been “burned out” not just literally. She had detected no PPE signature at all. At this time Zod was near to the main-gate of the black fortress, and as he got within 30ft. of the gates, a ghostly set of cogs and gears and flanges seemed to explode outwards from the doors surfaces. A large amount of time was spent trying to figure out what this was (the ghost images actually did have some physical solidity); with Zod finally figuring out that it was a puzzle lock, albeit a rather exotic one.
An hour passed in the storm-wracked ruins as the alien insectoid worked upon the lock mechanism, with the rest of the team (including Darius & James, who had finally regrouped with the rest, leaving Tao-Shi Moon to recover back at the new camp site) standing watch nervously. Odd wolf-like howls could be heard nearby, with many of Phoenix Force believing them to come from WITHIN the fort. As nerves frayed, Zod finally solved the lock and the two massive doors of magicked oak & iron swung open. Inside was revealed a cavernous keep, with pieces of rubble strewn about and no interior lights whatsoever (off for a TW & mystic city like Tolkeen), though the structure of the fort itself seemed to be intact. As the group went in, Markus Falkon’s sensors went wild and he had to step back outside until they could clear. At that moment the ambush occurred. From the sky a gargoyle-like creature made of black iron-like material with a vultures head and twin scimitars of the same substance struck out at Uno-Rez (who was tail) and one from within the Fort flew down from one of the upper galleries attacking Jack Chirax. The skirmish, though short, proved brutal and costly in ammunition. It seemed only psionic or magical weapons could do lasting harm to the creatures, while conventional energy and projectile weapons did only middling damage unless copious amounts of ammunition was expended. Further into the Fort the second wave of attacks was triggered just as the gargoyle creatures were dispatched. James & jack were floored when they saw Free-Quebec soldiers begin to snipe at them, along with a Glitterboy (which also seemed to be suffering from the same sensor blindness that Markus’ suit had). When the odds seemed to be favouring Phoenix Force, the second ambushers refused to surrender (stating that they’d rather die than suffer at the hands of “Her” and The Prince), but instead of fighting to the last, they all brought forth small round objects, which they then seemed to “fall” into. The objects were pocket mirrors.

Leena Shidow “Smelled” a potent PPE burst coming from one of the south-side rooms and, yet again encountering a mystic puzzle-lock, Zod & Leena both quickly solved it. Beyond the door lay a large chapel-like room with a stone alter fairly crackling with mystic energy. To the north, through a half covered tunnel, Uno discovered a room below the 5th tower of the fort. Inside was a large iron safe tucked away towards the back of the room.

Outside, the storm still raged.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:
Spoiler:
Authors note: this may be the last post of the campaign in these here Palladium Forum threads. I dunno, but due to the amount of trolls infesting the forums and what seems to be distinct lack of feedback, except from a very few, I've kinda lost motivation to continue "HERE". We'll see how I feel later on.

The Blackstone Fortress (Non-40k version)
Back in Tolkeen, no sign of the Coalition could be found. It was hoped that the neo-fascists had pulled back to one of their other bases further away, and would not return for at least a few days. As the team approached the location they were given for Thomas’s work-shop, they saw a massive sprawling 2 storey fortress constructed of black rock of some sort. At the South eastern corner of the fort was Thomas Carmichael’s re-purposed warehouse; blackened and broken. Jack Chirax took point with Felix beside him, but on inspection they found nothing: no bodies, no devices…nothing. When Uno was asked to come forward and verify that this was indeed Thomas’s facility, the gynoid nodded and replied that the place had been “burned out” not just literally. She had detected no PPE signature at all. At this time Zod was near to the main-gate of the black fortress, and as he got within 30ft. of the gates, a ghostly set of cogs and gears and flanges seemed to explode outwards from the doors surfaces. A large amount of time was spent trying to figure out what this was (the ghost images actually did have some physical solidity); with Zod finally figuring out that it was a puzzle lock, albeit a rather exotic one.
An hour passed in the storm-wracked ruins as the alien insectoid worked upon the lock mechanism, with the rest of the team (including Darius & James, who had finally regrouped with the rest, leaving Tao-Shi Moon to recover back at the new camp site) standing watch nervously. Odd wolf-like howls could be heard nearby, with many of Phoenix Force believing them to come from WITHIN the fort. As nerves frayed, Zod finally solved the lock and the two massive doors of magicked oak & iron swung open. Inside was revealed a cavernous keep, with pieces of rubble strewn about and no interior lights whatsoever (off for a TW & mystic city like Tolkeen), though the structure of the fort itself seemed to be intact. As the group went in, Markus Falkon’s sensors went wild and he had to step back outside until they could clear. At that moment the ambush occurred. From the sky a gargoyle-like creature made of black iron-like material with a vultures head and twin scimitars of the same substance struck out at Uno-Rez (who was tail) and one from within the Fort flew down from one of the upper galleries attacking Jack Chirax. The skirmish, though short, proved brutal and costly in ammunition. It seemed only psionic or magical weapons could do lasting harm to the creatures, while conventional energy and projectile weapons did only middling damage unless copious amounts of ammunition was expended. Further into the Fort the second wave of attacks was triggered just as the gargoyle creatures were dispatched. James & jack were floored when they saw Free-Quebec soldiers begin to snipe at them, along with a Glitterboy (which also seemed to be suffering from the same sensor blindness that Markus’ suit had). When the odds seemed to be favouring Phoenix Force, the second ambushers refused to surrender (stating that they’d rather die than suffer at the hands of “Her” and The Prince), but instead of fighting to the last, they all brought forth small round objects, which they then seemed to “fall” into. The objects were pocket mirrors.

Leena Shidow “Smelled” a potent PPE burst coming from one of the south-side rooms and, yet again encountering a mystic puzzle-lock, Zod & Leena both quickly solved it. Beyond the door lay a large chapel-like room with a stone alter fairly crackling with mystic energy. To the north, through a half covered tunnel, Uno discovered a room below the 5th tower of the fort. Inside was a large iron safe tucked away towards the back of the room.

Outside, the storm still raged.

To all PF (players) I have an idea to propose first thing Sunday. I hope you all will think it's of value/a good idea.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Was not at all pleased with how the session turned out this past sunday, either in-game or IRL.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:Was not at all pleased with how the session turned out this past sunday, either in-game or IRL.
I know where the issues are, but I thought after our last chat we'd gotten to where you wanted us in game despite the other issues.
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Was not at all pleased with how the session turned out this past sunday, either in-game or IRL.

Price of working with live actors/players. (shrug)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Oct. 13 – 14, P.A. 109
* Safe was found to be booby-trapped. Jack got scorched, Hounds were altered and since too much time was taken deciding what to do, a trap was sprung.
* Combat with 4 hounds ensued. It was noted that weapons available did only marginal damage.
* Successful elimination of the hounds.
* Successful opening of the safe; inside was a corpse and 3 cloth wrapped object beneath said corpse.
* Urination contest between the acting commanding officer-in-the-field Jack Chirax and insubordinate Tao-Shi Moon (Lt.; in different branch of service). Tao-Shi narrowly avoiding summery execution by Uno-Rez for gross insubordination.
* Leena Shidow narrowly manages to avoid bloodshed by suggesting that Tao-Shi take Markus Falkon and his mysteriously malfunctioning GB suit back to Lazlo, accompanied by Darius Canis-Lupus & his gunship, to file a report and request possible logistical support before continuing with next part of mission.
* Darius attempts to pick up one of the 3 artifacts found with the corpse in the safe; a black metal (or is it glass?) sword. He is greeted with a basso-profundo voice asking “WHO DARES!?”.
The black fort is left open while Phoenix Alpha takes watch at the front gates…waiting for the dawn of the 14th. Of October.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Some interesting activities going on there. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:Oct. 13 – 14, P.A. 109
* Safe was found to be booby-trapped. Jack got scorched, Hounds were altered and since too much time was taken deciding what to do, a trap was sprung.
* Combat with 4 hounds ensued. It was noted that weapons available did only marginal damage.
* Successful elimination of the hounds.
* Successful opening of the safe; inside was a corpse and 3 cloth wrapped object beneath said corpse.
* Urination contest between the acting commanding officer-in-the-field Jack Chirax and insubordinate Tao-Shi Moon (Lt.; in different branch of service). Tao-Shi narrowly avoiding summery execution by Uno-Rez for gross insubordination.
* Leena Shidow narrowly manages to avoid bloodshed by suggesting that Tao-Shi take Markus Falkon and his mysteriously malfunctioning GB suit back to Lazlo, accompanied by Darius Canis-Lupus & his gunship, to file a report and request possible logistical support before continuing with next part of mission.
* Darius attempts to pick up one of the 3 artifacts found with the corpse in the safe; a black metal (or is it glass?) sword. He is greeted with a basso-profundo voice asking “WHO DARES!?”.
The black fort is left open while Phoenix Alpha takes watch at the front gates…waiting for the dawn of the 14th. Of October.
Hoo boy what happened at the portal!!! LOL
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Lost Seraph wrote:FLASH SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!
He's cool if a bit... Dramatic.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Lost Seraph wrote:I'm an elf. What elves aren't dramatic in some form?
True, lol don't misunderstand me man. I like him
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Authors Note; Looks like "HE" is no longer posting or even luring so... without further ado.
Oct. 14-16 P.A. 109; “Well this is a fine state of affairs.”
* Dawn of the 14th. saw the introduction of Tao-Shi Moon’s replacement. With the blaring of ‘FLASH; Defender of the Universe’ resounding through the misty morning, Shadow Grimlion (TW from Alfhiem on cultural exchange to Terra) made his bonefides to Phoenix Alpha.
* Collaboration between Zod, James & the new magi-technician solved the way to activate the dimensional portal / altar within the blackstone fort. Where Team Alpha ended up was stranger than what they expected; a well appointed mansion on a pleasant plot of grassy land. Beyond the yards however was an endless expanse of grey-silver fog and dark grey ground.
* Investigating the mansion turned up evidence the entire building was a dimension hopping vehicle, and the personal safe-house of Warlord Scard. After several hours, the sound of roaring could be heard in the distance to the East. Girding themselves for more battle, Team Alpha stepped out past the ‘normal’ grassy landscape the mansion was on, and moved into the fog.
* Evidence that the pocket dimension the mansion & Phoenix Force was within was not quite stable came in the form of images of an brigade of black clad “human” warriors with glowing yellow eyes (shot at by Jack Chirax in a blind panic) that were thankfully insubstantial fighting against an almost equal number of nightlands Hound & Hunters. The only physical evidence of the fight was found later; fragments of armour and broken weapons of the yellow eyed humans (no bodies or pieces of bodies could be found).
* Arriving at the location the roars could be heard from, Team Alpha saw 5 titanic silos of mega-crete towering above the strange grey landscape. One of the far silos had been broken open but the one directly in front of them had an active teleport pad. They stepped on.
* …into a set ambush inside the silo; more of the FQ doppelgangers. 5 truly gigantic dragon-like creatures trapped in an amber-like substance dominated the background. The creatures seemed to have armour plate, weapons and other technology grafted into them like partial conversion borgs. There wasn’t time for musing and theorizing however; the evil-twin Andre Savard and Uno_Rez’s doppelganger made themselves know as well, and Thomas Carmichael was found.
* ‘Techie’ began raving like a psychotic about “…being awesome and saving the world.” While attempting to awaken the dragon creatures. Leena Shidow and James, having subdued the evil Savard’s glitterboy suit, tried to reason with the unhinged young technomancer. It was for naught as Uno’s evil duplicate activated some form of techno-wizardry failsafe… causing Thomas Carmichael to detonate under a deluge of raw magical energy ripping through his frail mortal shell. Exploding into mist, the pathetic Mr., Carmichael’s blood rained down onto the console he had been working at. The resounding sound of cracking crystals echoed through the silo.
The Borg-Dragons had awakened, and did not wish to return to sleep.
* Desperate words and actions by all of Team Alpha staved off possible catastrophe (Felix Perez having thought Leena had been killed while trying to mind-meld with the Borg Dragons’ leader; only having been knocked out); finding that the titanic creatures were copies made from beings on another dimensional version of Algol but were never given the final protocols and commands by “Lord Scrad, Father Moebius & St. Articulis”. A quick treaty was verbally made with the 5 creature “wing” and Team Alpha exited the pocket dimension, reappearing back in side-real reality and nearly terrifying the captain of the Lazlo Aero-corp. ‘Alexander’ half to death.
* Uno_Rez, showing possible shock over her fiancé’s death, offered to go with James Cormac to try and find more evidence of where his family may have escaped to.
*the 16th. of October saw the return of Phoenix Force Alpha back to Lazlo. The Major giving some much needed ‘leave’ to the team while awaiting their written reports.

“All play and no work cause Phoenix Force to become… productive?!”
From the 16th. To the 26th. Of October, the individual members of Phoenix Force Alpha begin to get restive and start working on side projects; for profit and future logistical support.

Zod, being the most happy when everything is in its proper place, began to buy up an old warehouse and the 3 surrounding vacant lots to begin creating his own workshop. Noticing many refugees within the abandoned properties, Zod also provided a small amount of rations for the ex-Tolkeenites and an offer they couldn’t refuse. They could stay on the properties for an indefinite time, provided they didn’t allow them to become “slums”, and there was talk of possible employment and apprenticeships at some future time.
Over the next few days Zod’s robotics construction gear began to be delivered via Riccardo’s Cheese Emporium and two 8ft. Tall gentle men dressed in trench coats and fedoras, carrying cello cases, oversaw the transfer of equipment.

Shadow Grimlion began inquiries into membership with the Lazlo Magi-Technicians guild. Seeing that the entrance fee and annual dues were reasonable, signed off and then began to get down to work on several projects; the primary one being his own pet-project; Beast God Go-Lion.
… He was going to need to bring in the other two techs on this one.

James & Uno, returning on the 18th. Started straight in on cataloguing the codex of Morphii. Uno being uniquely suited for data processing was more than happy to take her “mind” off of the death of her intended. James, giving the gynoid space to heal her very much alive soul, approached the 3 field technicians of Phoenix Force Alpha and requested their help in researching and reverse engineering the Morphii technology (if possible) recovered on Halcyn, while giving specific duties to Shadow Grimlion in figuring out what the amulet Astartes, the silver (or platinum) bow Starfall and lastly the black sword with the middle name Pendragon.

Felix Perez went in for intensive psycho-therapy to try to rid him of his irrational terror of robots. This fear made it very difficult for him to spend time with his crush, Leena Shidow (who happened to be perfectly at home with machines, having grown up among HuCast) so he was determined to try and cure the phobia. He was partially successful. While the psycho-technicians and therapists worked on his M.o.M. altered mind, they found the root-cause of his fear of robots; it was their lifelessness that triggered his terror. So while he was “cured” of his robo-phobia, he replaced it with necrophobia; including places like morgues, cemeteries and tombs / crypts.
At this time however, Felix showed no disappointment. He could now be in the presence of his beloved Leena without worrying about “Those damned drones!” In between visits to Ms. Shidow's workshop, Felix also made inquiries to Naruni Enterprises for possible equipment upgrades and reloads. Naruni were more than happy to oblige (even going as far as to offer 10% bulk rebates).

Jack Chirax was feeling better, having been given a “green” on Markus Falkon’s innocence; finding out that a former psychotic member of P-Force, the Asgardian elf-maid Dom whose pathological hatred of males made her set up Markus as the culprit. Seeing that part of his mission completed, warrant Officer Chirax turned his attention to forming a boot-camp for militia and mercenaries within Lazlo. While councilor Plato and a few of the other “peaceful” councilors were hesitant (as they always are when confronted with the fact that Rifts Terra is DANGEROUS) to commit to the proposal, General Xarl gave full but conditional approval. No terrorists or “radicals” permitted, and Phoenix Force resources were NOT to be used.

Over the 10 days, Rika Hanlah-Falkon submitted a brief report on current members. Her husband, Markus Falkon, had filed his own Section-8 and resigned his commission with Phoenix Force Alpha, but retained ‘advisory and support’ clearance as he focused full-time on his Falkon Heavy Industries robotics company. Another removal from the ‘active’ roster was Garrus Valkarian; laterally promoted to ‘support staff’ and becoming quarter-master.

October 26th. To 27th. PA 109 “CONVOOOOOOY!”
The R&R had ended and everyone was called to a meeting; over at the ‘Raven & quill’ café across from the ‘Neon Rose’. Rika was late in arriving as she was helping Leena Shidow deal with emotional overload (the younger NuMan having finally established contact with the giant Morphii robot; now with name… Zeiru), but the early part of the meeting was not boring. Eris Cloud (family name first) found the group and offered a business deal to Zod & Shadow Grimlion; they fix up her gear she created over in Terra Imperialis to current tech standards in Terra Republica, and she would hand over aerial surveys of the Free-Quebec / CS conflict “bone-yards” to assist in the new robotics manufacturing concern. Zod & Shadow easily agreed and a deal was struck. Just after Commander Eris left, Rika came in (the two seeming to never be able to meet up at same time) and the situation was explained to her. Having no present missions, Rika acquiesced to the personal salvage mission, but reminded everyone that Phoenix Force gear would not be available to bring back the possible salvage material. While everyone talked about possible vehicles (and Shadow handing out the fruits of his first attempt at personal TW items for others), Rika suggested her MK-IX Landrover; though it was tracked it could haul a massive amount of cargo in a trailer. It was a done deal (as long as Rika came along to keep track of her property, it was the other team members show).

Fionna & Uno would be remaining behind as well as Jack Chirax (who was ¼ of the way into his boot-camp training schedule), but both Leena Shidow & Johannes Teufel would come along to offer more technical & magic support. The trip was uneventful; the route taken along the northern shore of Lake Ontario and then a quick turn straight north to avoid the wider & deeper channel crossings. A short shallow underwater trip broke to monotony, but after several hours non-stop transit, on the opposite shore of their reverse “portage” the group finally feel to exhaustion and made do with sleeping where they could inside the MK-IX. The morning of the 27th dawned overcast & windy, with Johannes finding out why Moose are considered to be the most second most dangerous native northern animals (no bones broken but the moose charge did knock Johannes breath from him), but the battle-magus soon used magically enhanced strength to punch the moose in half. Sadly his efforts to stock the larders were thwarted by Loki (who heard Yann’is prayer to Thor and decided to “play with the mortal”) and the Landrover was evacuated and cleaned out as the bladder which Mr. Teufel had missed exploded and ruined the meat (and air system). While the vehicle was cleaned, Leena sensed something of technological nature, large and VERY close pass-by but when everyone was warned… nothing was detected via sensors or eye-ball MK-1.

It is the middle of the day on the 27th of October, PA 109.

“The luck of the draw” Oct. 27 to 29 P.A. 109
Despite the rather creepy sensation of being spied upon, the Mk-IX and Phoenix force continued North-East towards the FQ territories. Eventually (without incident) they reached the site of one of the bone yards and began excavating trashed CS skellebots and the odd piece of FQ tech. During this time unfortunately, both Zod & Leena Shidow were rendered incapacitated when a vial of the weaponized moose-musk ruptured in their faces. Rika acted quickly and T-ported the pair back to Lazlo hospital. Another cleaning montage later and the remaining Pforce alpha team members on-site decided to call it a day and return home the next afternoon. Over the course of the evening they were visited by something invisible that mocked Felix (who was on watch at the time) and the rest with childish laughter as the MK-IX Land rover was invaded. Nothing was stolen except nerves and a few hours sleep, but a new decoration was left behind.
Stick figures missing their heads painted on all the surfaces of the cargo hold.

The next day had the travelers intercepting a call for help over the radio-waves. As they rushed into the battle they saw half a dozen (two mounted on Monst-Rex battle steeds) Shemarrians in the center of blasted and ruined woods-land fighting a giant sea-shell shaped monster; a Murex Metzla. Johannes Teufel went “Leeroy Jenkins” on the Murex but was thwarted by the multiple tentacles and canny nature of the more than bestial beast. Even though they were heavily damaged, the Shemarrians continued to fight, while the rest of Team Alpha (along with Rika, Zod & Leena; who had just T-ported BACK) began to provide fire support from the MK-IX or the air. Eternal minutes dragged by, but the monster was vanquished (not before Teufels’ battle-fury halberd was destroyed by his own hand, rather than let the Murex have it) and the grateful Shemarrians allowed Zod & Leena to “heal” them. While information was traded, Felix, James and Teufel discovered what had been buzzing them the past two days; a crashed aircraft (later identified as a Naruni Star-Runner light-freighter). Leena was requested to ride with the Shemmarians back to their hunt camp to further “heal” their worst damaged sisters and to also try and remove the voices of “the maker & shaper” from their minds. Leena lept at the chance and quickly hurried off after them; promising Rika that she’d return as soon as she felt the Shemar were fixed up correctly.

Rika identified the Naruni Star-runner by it’s name as something from the alternate Rifts Earth Eris Cloud had been calling home the last few months.; the Void-Wolf. She was unsure if it carried potential friendlies or hostiles. Regardless it was decided to wait another night so those who had expended too much AETher or psionic energy could recover. On James Cormak’s watch, the scholar heard a bone-chilling howl come from the location of the Star-runner (mistaking it for the radio at first). When he upped the gain on the microphone, his ear drums were nearly shattered by ANOTHER howl. Something inside had woken up. Rika also had been awakened by her NuMan sensitivity to paranormal creatures. Everyone except Zod rushed to try and enter the crashed star-vehicle. Many minutes later after a comedy of errors trying to gain entry, the cargo ramp lowered of its own accord and then they were greeted not only with the inhuman howling, but the child-like insane laughter from the night before. What they saw inside was enough to cause stomachs to lurch. Blood everywhere. Painted as a pangram and streaked across the floor leading to a quartet of (all blonde) humanoid female corpses. Then chaos ensued.
~ The creator of the laughter (and the corpses below) was found; a skinny black haired teen-age male. Critically wounded he had managed to paint the same dismembered stick figures all across the bridge. His insane inane babbling about his “princess” made those listening think he was daemonically possessed. Then he vomited white fluid that flowed BACK onto his body and created a cocoon.
~ Something trapped behind a magic wall in one of the ships cabins was let loose when the psychotic teenager became enwrapped in his own odd vomit. Something that was all black skin and stark white bone leapt at Felix and then skittered out past everyone and out into the northern Canadian wilds. Not even James was fast enough to catch the stealthy ‘thing’ as it blended into the darkness.

The situation had just become weirder.
It is now 3am, October 29th, PA 109.

“It’s a dead-mans’ party, who could ask for more?” Oct. 29 – 31st P.A. 109
The remnants of Oct. 29th pass by quickly. Zod doing what was in-humanly possible to lock down the leak on the starboard side reactor on the Naruni Star-runner, while the rest of the group secured the now cocooned psychotic previous owner of the vessel. Sometime towards sun-up a loud weapon discharge could be heard in the distance; a singular -crack- then silence. When the sun was fully risen, the head of the "beast" that had run off after attacking Felix was left at the base of the cargo ramp...with a red bow tied around it. Figuring that some unknown “friend” had taken care of the problem for them of the escaped monster, the team quickly made the Star-runner ready for take-off and secured the land-rover inside and the cargo trailer outside.

As Rika warned everyone that the ride may be bumpy (due to having to pilot everything from a jury-rigged control set using Zod’s micro-computer) Johannes and James took up station to watch over the decapitated head of “the beast” and the cocooned body of the psychotic. A very rocky take off followed an uneventful trip back from Free-Quebec territory to Lazlo air-space; though Rika had to politely inform Felix Perez that it would be in his best interest to go stay below with the rest of the team…and not bother while flying a very unstable semi-wrecked starship. During this time Johannes tried to talk the pupating human to remain human, using Old Norse drinking songs and ballads to “stabilize his soul”. Sadly it was ineffective and when Johannes tried to open the cocoon and free the trapped teenager, he and James were almost sprayed with a caustic neuro-toxin, which DID cover Felix in his sealed exo-armour (and dissolved the half formed “whatever” that was inside the chrysalis). Shadow Grimlion wisely stayed in the working engine pod to keep the remaining reactor stable. As Rika received the report, she advised everyone in the cargo deck to use the decontamination gear, and that she was going to inform Lazlo of a possible infectious agent on-board. Rika seemed to know something.

Unfortunately as Rika approached the Lazlo Island Aero-port (which provided an isolated location in case the goo WAS infectious) the control system she was using to pilot de-synched and caused the Star-Runner to drop. Fortunately, an old comrade (and guardian of Lazlo harbour) MXM-1LN Maxamillion, Mk XXV Bolo of the line had been aware of the possible crash situation and used his giant ‘body’ to act as a barge to transport the salvaged Star-runner, and its precious cargo & crew to the mainland, where a fully equipped Level SIX Haz-mat team was standing by. After an hour of decontamination and inoculations, Team Alpha was allowed to leave along with their cargo. Rika advised everyone that she would be calling on them in 48 hours to speak to some “experts” she was going to confer with in regards to the psychotic they had found, what had happened to him, and “The Beast”. She also asked Johannes to bring any artifacts from the Nabraeus Deadlands of Caliban he had collected; especially from the bio-ship. After a final suggestion that James go visit Uno-Rez, Rika hailed a cab and left for her home.

~Johannes Went to spend time with Jack Chirax at his mercenary training camp and to wax lyrical about the tragedy of what had happened after the battle with the Murex.

~Felix wandered about Lazlo after changing into civilian clothes and did minor errands; receiving a letter later in the afternoon from Leena (somehow) telling him she was okay, and finding her time with the Shemarrian Ghostrider tribes’-women fascinating, and not to worry. She was expecting to be home soon.

~Zod contemplated starting work on the Star-runner to get it functional again, while Shadow Grimlion strongly advised the ant-man to keep to the project in hand; get the Lions built and operational.

~James sought out Uno (as Rika had suggested) and spent an hour discussing what had happened on the “working vacation”. Uno sympathized but then stated that perhaps it had been better that the young man had died while pupating than either being brought out human or as some “thing”. For the crimes he had committed, the teenager would have been tried for multiple murders and BEST given the death-of-personality mind wipe sentence. To change the subject James asked how Uno was handling herself, to which she replied she felt her home was emptier, but she was coping. In riposte Uno then invited the young scholar to see her perform at the Neon Rose. James accepted quickly, where upon Uno then teased that the rest of the team should also be invited, as Fionna had been itching to get the “new-meat” properly inducted into Team Alpha.

Later that night, Johannes, Shadow & Felix all found small letters containing a black greeting card with a line drawing of a red-rose with green stem on the front. On the back;
“You are cordially invited to an evening of joy & revelry at the Neon Rose. October 30th, Post Apocalyptic year 109.”

“All’s well that ends poorly.” Oct. 31st – Nov. 1st P.A. 109
The evening at the Neon Rose went by pleasently enough for those who attended. Felix & Johannes both became quite introspective while Shadow & James were captivated by the ambience and later, by the performance given by Uno-Rez in her Hatsune Miku costume. The festivities ended with Felix going home to dream dreams of Leena’s safe return (which fortunately, he had reason to believe would be the case after a short message arrived via radio-text), Joahnnes drifting away to meditate on his place in the grand scheme of things, James and Uno leaving to NOT fall into bed with each other and Shadow Grimlion coralled by ‘The Twin’ Jester & Trixter.

Next morning Leena finally wandered into the city and was about to shower and fall into bed when she, Felix and of all people Zod were given messages to meet at a place called ‘the Casa Loma’ by their captain; a modern day castle built around the beginning of the 20th century, olde calendar. As that trio dragged their tired and sleep deprived selves to the North Western district of Lazlo, a new-comer to the city was also on his way to spaek to The Phoenix Force.
Chris Altobeli, Freelancer of the Iron Mountain Defense Force. Sole survivour of a hover-train delivering goods to The Relic / Hamilton that came under attack by giant bio-mechanical scorpions (which appeared to be controlled by a humanoid mecha that sahred certain cosmetic features with the scorpion like aggressors).
All four somehow managed to arrive roughly at the same time at the main gates of the nearly pristine Casa. They were greeted by a shy blue-white haired woman dressed in Niponese yukata (informal Japanese robe), introducing herself as Kotetsu Isane. Felix noticed something od with the woman’s braids as they follwed her to the Solarium where a member Phoenix Force BETA was giving an informal lecture; Eris Cloud.
~**~
Note; the following was a posted eariler as ‘Cloud’s Lecture’
As the members of Phoenix Force Alpha walk through the grand hallway of the Casa-Loma, one thing comes to their attention. Despite the rambunctious and gregarious nature of this ‘Eris Cloud’, her own study seems rather spartan. Black ink paintinsg using simple washes and lines creating stunning depth along with what looks like small shrines engraved with lined glyphs that must be some form of writing. In the middle of this, sitting on her shins with barefoot toes braced against the black covered matting is the Col-Taros (as Hope Brightlance, her Shemarrian executive officer, calls her), accompanied by a small group young warrior-magi facing her.

Cloud motions for them to sit and with the lop-sided grin that seems to be her tradmark expression, the blonde haired Humae female begins to speak.

“I figured your languages are already programmed into the computer data-base; may as well make sure there’s no possibility of what I say not getting through. *grin & shrug* However there are a few terms that won’t have equivalents… in fact, from what I’ve been able to piece together even if I had your native races entire dictionary these terms wouldn’t exist.”

Cloud recahes to one side and pulls a tray of small cermaic flasks and matching cups; passing a set to the students (and if asked, to any of Team Alpha), she then pours herself a thin stream of clear fluid from the flask to her cup. Smiling she raises her cup to her lips.
“KANPAI!…”

After a few pleasentries and sharing a bit of the sweet-astringent spirit known as ‘Sake’, Cloud’s expression then turns serious.

“It’s going to take a while to get you fully trained to understand half of what I’m about to cram into those pretty skulls of yours kids, but take this on faith; you want to survive in the greater universe, you’ll do your studying up on what I’m going to give you on your off-time if you know what’s good for you.”

The commander pulls forth a computer tablet; cruder than the multi-tool holographic versions that most Tri-Gal natives are used to, but none-the-less serviceble as a 3d hologram projects upwards showing a multitude of bestial and other more bizzarre forms. As the names of the “creatures” are projected along with what seems to be notations, the various things show what seems to be animations of how they fly or even in some cases use very spectacular and disturbing magic or natural abilities.

“First thing we’re gonna talk about is the broadest definitions of the supernatural beings that come from, well, lets call the places they come from as ‘Hells’ for lack of a better word. Beginning our tour is the beings of Dyval, known coloquially as ‘Devils’ or also as ‘Infernals’.
These creatures are mostly known for tricks, seduction and duplicity; if they can get things done with a quadruple- cross betrayal and get out with the prize in hand, their enemies all dead or broken and their own noses clean, they will. Don’t make the mistake of thinking they are push-overs though. They can still punch a hole through 10cm of battlesteel without chipping a nail and are proficient magic users and masters of illusions.
One piece of good news is, in some cases if you have enough of an edge or something they want more than YOU, you can possibly negotaite with the higher ranked Infernals…don’t count on it though. Remember; masters of deception and misdirection. Most lawyers I think are at least ¼ infernal.”

*sip*

“Next, we have Demons or “Hell-spawn”. Brutal, vicious, sadistic and cruel. The most common come from a dimension known as ‘Hades’, though it is not to be confused with a certain Deity or his realm. These creatures are a bit more hands on when they operate, and think nothing of tearing apart entire towns or even cities if they can get away with it. Fortunately only the higher ranks among them actually have magic casting abilities, most of the lower orders have to make due with ‘natural’ abilities or tooth & claw.
Demons for the most part require either a ritual to summon them through a ‘rift’ or a host body that is burned-up in the process of allowing a demon through, which can then once it is in OUR reality, begin to bring forth others of its kind. It only takes 1 to eventually bring forth a horde. No matter what you think; brutal and blood-thirsty as most of the demons are, they are NOT stupid.”

A small smile goes across cloud’s face then fades.

“Demons and Devils HATE each other by the way. Secret is, to NOT be between them if they catch wind of each other. If you are lucky, one will be torn apart by the other, and the victor will be broken enough that you can send it back to its own plane of existance without too much effort.”

She sips her sake and flicks one of the floating control icons.

“Supernaturals; these include things like vampires, lycanthropes (werewolves), abberations like malignousnes and chimera, zombies..etc etc etc. You can read up on them later. Long story short about THEM, is that they may be immune to certain forms of damage, but when you kill them properly, they are GONE. Finished.”

“Sadly that is not the case with the supernatural inteligences and… the great powers.”

Cloud takes a deep breath and switches her “seat” to sit cross legged but leans forwards; her face now painted with the images from the holograms.

“You may have heard refference to Splogorthians. *pauses*
They, ‘The Great olde ones’ and a few others I’d rather not name all fall into this category. They bridge the gap between evil gods and demons / devils. They are capable of spreading themselves across multiple layers of reality while their TRUE forms reside in pocket kingdoms in the Astral Plane. No; I’m not making this up kids, this is all stuff I had hammered into my head by my instructors and by first hand accounts by my fellow Phoenix Forcers. The Astral Plane? You (points to an accolyte); you’re a mind-power user right; a psi senstive? Well, the Astral is where a lot of that power seems to bleed from into THIS reality. The Astral is a place of pure thought and concept; a dimension of will and potential. How does this factor into my lecture…hold on.
You see, layerd on top of THAT, is a place I’ve only heard reffernced to, and then only by a small handful of people.
It is called The Warp…or better known as Chaos.”

A symbol of 8 arrows radiating from a central hub roatates slowly in the hologram. Cloud leans back and runs her fingers through her hair. If those present didn’t know better they’d think that Cloud was nervous sweating.

“In a few dimensions, races have learned how to harness The Warp; bend the power of raw potential (even more potent than the Astral even) to reshape reality…but that’s the most extreme case. In most cases it just boosts psionic potential and adds fuel to said power, or, through use of technology, entire starships can break through the barriers between reality and Warp to travel FTL. I’ve heard say it is like traveling on a wet-navy boat on a storm-tossed ocean. That’s not the only threat.
You see; vessels that ply the Warp, or those who use their minds or artifacts to tap into that power must, I mean MUST protect themselves. The Warp is not empty. Take any thought, any concept any EMOTION, dream nightmare and then give it form. Eventually enough of them come together and feed on each other getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Then you get DAEMONS.
I’m sure somewhere in that vast sea of potential there must be good or at least neutral entities, but for the most part, what you will encounter is primal warp predators; hungry energy entities. They almost never can manifest in our reality; they’re too unfocussed to take on a physical form. It is the deamons that can. They need host bodies or very powerful rituals to exist in our reality; and even then it’s rumoured that their time is limmited. Though that limmited time can be measured in decades or even centuries for Daemon princes and princesses.

There are four known powers that have the most influence from the warp.

She who thirsts; the defilier and god(dess?) of perversion and vice. This one unforunately has been seen here on THIS Terra. One of my old orginazation’s best teams encountered daemons from this power…it was…bad. It can drive those who submit into ecstasies of excess to where pain becomes the ultimate drug…pain inflicted on yourself that is. Most of the magic they can call upon is based on the manipulation of emotions and sensations…and flesh.”

Deep breath and then she continues;

“What had me paincked back at the OTHER Terra I was living in? The Blood God, Lord of slaughter and king of skulls. Not very heavy on magic, but what its minions and spawn lack in mystic powers is more than made up for in sheer blood-lust and raw physical power. They may be blood-crazed berserkers, but they will, given a chance, die happy taking as many of YOU as they can in the most brutal and messy way possible. Plus the more experienced of the mortal minions are VERY good fighters according to what’s known.”

“Fortunately, none on this verse have seen what the Plague Lord, grandfather of pestilence, can do. It’s not a lord of death; simply of LIFE from decay. Most typical undead killing techniques simply won’t work on these. Purification (from fire being the best) is the only way. In a way this one is the most tragic… In a more ‘stable’ form it could have been a nature or creation / destruction god…but not in this incarnation.”

“Finally among the 4 powers, and arguably the most powerful and unstoppable is the Lord of Change, Master of deceit and the keeper of all knowledge. This particular power and it’s minions is by far the most magically empowered and most unstable. Change for change sake; think spatial distance and perspective swapping at a moments notice or rain clouds of mathmatics or rivers of liquid sound. That’s just a small tiny bit which our brains can comprehend. Typically insanity follows when most people who are unprepared & untrained encounter these.”

“On final thing; words have meaning and names have power. Never, EVER speak aloud the names of any of the four powers, or ANY power for that matter. It won’t always cause something to happen, but it CAN happen…at random and when you least expect it to. That’s chaos for you.”

She reaches out and shuts off the tablet and ejects the data card. She then reaches into the front of her kimono and pulls forth a small pouch, containing several data cards which she hands out to the students.

“I wish I could tell ya more, but that’s pretty much all I personally can tell you from expereince, lessons, and talking to those who’ve encountered stuff I haven’t. The copy of the codex I gave you is mostly “common” knowledge and lore; figure about 50% of it to be accurate. If you want more in-depth info, talk to Rika Hanlah or one of the priests over by the city-hall.
Anyways, unless you want to join me in a shower, I think you all have quite a bit to keep you occupied for next few hours.” *winks and finishes her sake*
~**~
As the lecture finished, Cloud was polite enough to keep the quartet occupied while their captain, Rika, finished confering with a Dr. Kisuke Urahara. Cloud mentioned that he was someone or “something” called a Reaper (but not in context of necromancy) and that he was somewhat of an expert in the creature that Phoenix Force Alpha had encountered inside the crashed Naruni Star-runner. Rika finally made her appearance, out of breath from running to the solarium. After welcoming Mr. Altobeli to the informal intell meeting she got right into the reason for the early morning gathering. After exaustive testing of samples from Madhaven, the Star-runner ‘creatures’, Motavia, Caliban and Tau-Ceti IV-3 a definate correlation could be made. The Scorpion like creatures that had been found on both Motavia and now Terra, the “Hollow Ones” virus that Dr. Urahara and his people had dealt with, the lizard creature on TC IV-3 and the crab-like biomechs (along with the starship) all sahred the same genetic markers. The scourge of the Morphii, the Aggendi Brood was not confined to just one small part of one dimension. They appeard to have been (if not presently) resident in at least THREE ‘verses. Chris Altobeli found this information particularly disturbing; another random (albeit lethal) one off D-bee attack by nightmarish creatures was one thing, but something that had wiped out an entire space-faring empire and also used viral bio-warfare?
Citing prescident of another bio-war species (the Gene-stealers) Rika planned to head over to Madhaven to make sure that the hollow-one mutants were not acting like psychic beacons for any of their creators; the Aggendi.
Leena sleepily offered to finish repairing and bringing up the Morphii war-mech Zeiru to at least base functionality (and to hopefully gain more intel on their newest / ancient threat). Rika aquisecsed and odered Felix to escort the Numan technician home to get some much-needed sleep. Meanwhile she had both Zod and Mr. Altobeli stick around a bit longer. The Ishpeming free-lancer wondered what the elf-cat-girl wanted (having already been made slightly unconfortable by Eris Cloud’s obvious interest in his talents & attitude, if not in his body) along with the humanoid ant man Zod. Rika very bluntly asked about Altobeli’s attitudes towards Lazlo and non-humans and wether he was a sympathizer for the Coalition, seeing as how he was working with Northern Gun / Ishpeming. He replied that he only worked to protect the Iron Mountains and the occasional cargo caravan; he had nothing to do with the human supremiscists.
Satisfied, Rika prommissed him a chance at getting some payback and more answers to why his countrymen had been attacked and slain, though she couldn’t give a yes or no as to wether he would be able to gain full access to Phoenix Force its self to bring this about. He shrugged and agreed… if nothing else fighting something else outside of demon beavers or Xiticix scouts would be good practice and stress relief. After giving out her contact number, Rika dismissed the the Ishpeming Iron-Mountaineer and Zod (both of whom seemd to have taken to the other; having a shared love of technology) with a reminder to call-in within the next two to three days. Though not a critical mission, she wished to get things organized for a recon mission to Madhaven A.S.A.P.

Meanwhile:
~Felix & Leena shared tea over at her workshop / apartment. The two eventually, after dancing around each other verbally, had the M.o.M. adventurer admit to his feelings for the Numan technician.

~Rika, Dr. Urahara and HIS partner Yourichi Shihouin along with Eris Cloud went out to a local pub to drink and compare notes. The mood started to become melencholy as they switched to rememberance of those they had lost over the years.

~Fionna Faraday staggered towards the Neon Rose in emotional turmoil & shock after having found her apartment made emptier; Garrus Vakarian had left without even a note.

~In the highest level of the Lazlo “Banzai” millenium-tree; a Blonde haired, silver armoured E-Shemarrian of the Hawkmoon tribe stroked the beak of her Steel-Phoenix counterpart, in a contemplative mood. Where was sir Calvinus? What did the Lightbringer wish of her? Where was her progen-daughter?

~The Western gate saw two wet and shivering horse riders come into the city proper. A tall scar-faced man with slicked back black ahir and dressed in a black longcoat decorated with celtic-cross eppaulettes, and his ride-partner, a half hispanic half native american justice ranger. Neither was impressed with the weather out east.

~In a darkened room inside the Neon Rose’s baseemt level, identical twins (one male the other female) watched as petals from a rose in a vase made of not-glass began to wither. One of “theirs” had been hurt and her joy had been soured. They knew who was responsible and prepared to flex powers at their disposal to avenge the pain one they called “familly”.

~In darkened news-stands and media kisosks, copies of Phoenix Force Forever begain to appear out of thin air. On the cover;
“Hearts Betrayed! Fledglings spread their wings and leave the nest! Is this the END OF PHOENIX FORCE ALPHA!?”

The Date is now 1am November 2nd, P.A. 109.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

I have a lot of storyline catching-up to do, I see. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

“Getting to know you better.” November 3rd – 5th, P.A. 109
Chris Altobeli tried to reach Rika using the number he was given. Unfortunately he was unable to do so (Rika being otherwise indisposed / attempting to help Fionna over a massive emotional breakdown and hangover). Asking around, he was informed that Rika sometimes would conduct “off-book” missing briefings over at the local mercenaries’ guild chapter, located in the tavern called The Broken Fist. Chris was not the only one trying to find the NuMan captain.

A young man, dressed in “new-age” talismans & fetishes wearing New-West riding gear and a blonde haired woman carrying an ornate war-hammer of mystic origins. All three strangers / new comers to the Phoenix Force stage were drawn towards the dock-side tavern. There they had their first encounter with one of the most infamous bouncers in North America; Crunch of the duo of Crunch & Smash the Xanth ogres. Having placed their weapons in Crunch’s care, the trio all settled down for a period of waiting and trying to pump the bar-tender & owner of The ‘Fist for information… with varied levels of success.

An hour passed and Rika arrived breathless and slightly flustered. Mr. Altobeli she recognized and was hoping to speak to but the other two were unknown. Enrique ‘Rick’ Raymond, newly empowered mystic and seeker of purpose and adventure was at first tongue tied, being only 17 and encountering the Amazonian war-hammer wielder and then the exotic red-headed leader of THE Phoenix Force Alpha, but quickly was able to state that he really wanted to join up. Even in the deepest part of the New-West he had heard of the Lazlo based investigators of dimensional and arcane mysteries. Then the blonde spoke (in the third person); ‘Council of Righteous Vengeance’ / A.K.A. Melody Harper, declaring that; “the strands of fate tied the purpose of the council to that of the Fire-Bird”.
Rika was somewhat non-plussed by the two latest people wanting to join with her team’s missions (added to the fact that most of her team was otherwise indisposed with personal problems and/or projects), and instead of outright refusing or signing them on as Phoenix Force operatives, she instead offered all three prospectives a one-time mercenary contract with option to extend terms of service. After a short conferral, all three agreed and would meet Rika the next day in front of the Broken Fist with all the gear they felt necessary for a mission to Madhaven.

November 4th had Chris, Enrique and Melody all waiting for Rika’s arrival when at the last minute Zod arrived (the ant-man still unsure even after talking things out with Chris the previous evening, if he’d be coming along); apologizing for being almost late because he had had to deal with the emergent A.I. residing at his & Grimlion’s factory. Rika arrived in the Naruni Explorer hover vehicle (surprising both Enrique and Chris with how silently it moved) and without further delay, set off for the New-York territories. The trip, though uneventful and rather fast paced, was still with problems. First; relying on Zod as navigator had been an unwise choice for the simple reason that the ant-man had NO navigational skills whatsoever. THEN Rika had to ground for the evening of November 4th on account of a sudden snow-squall nearly causing her to crash into a stand of very large trees.

The next day Chris Altobeli suggested they stop at his family’s ancestral home in Jersey, only couple of hours trip away from Madhaven. He wished to see if any of his family’s property was still there and to maybe spend a day or two to let the unpredictable weather to pass. On arrival at said cottage, Enrique and Rika began to feel uneasy: powers were beginning to come to life. No sooner had Chris Altobeli opened the box he had left many many many (and displaced) years ago and taken out the Celtic runes, then things began to go strange. The small lake 5 miles away was the site of a small ley-line nexus. Enrique felt a vortex of energy begin to build up over the waters as another (more violent) blew in. Rika suggested better part of valour and ordered an immediate vacating of the area…double time. As the Naruni Explorer pulled away from the cottage, Chris Altobeli saw the immaculate timbers begin to decay as if in fast-forward. Whatever power that had preserved “his” old home had suddenly expired.

The time is now 12am November 5th, P.A. 109.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

"IT'S A DEAD MANS PARTY.
WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE?
LEAVE YOUR BODY & SOUL
AT THE DOOR."

~With all appologies to Danny Elfman / Oingo-Boingo

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

“It’s a dead man’s party; who could ask for more?”
The situation became even more nerve wracking when Enrique passed out from encountering something ancient and aggressive whilst “becoming one with the supernatural”. Melody looked out the front of the Naruni Hover Explorer’s front windshield and saw what had K/O’d Enrique; two glowing red eyes nearly 8ft. above the ground staring through the snow squall. Chris, showing more testosterone than brains, leapt out of the N.H.E. thinking his mini-missile launcher would deal with the “threat” instead he was bowled over and missed the target completely as he was pogo’d on by the Jersey Devil.

10 minutes later and about 30 miles distant, they rendezvoused with Fionna Faraday driving her hover APC; an Eldar wave Serpent. The new sub-contractors spent a few hours getting to know Rika’s X/O and then the Captain declared a rest break. Fionna decided better part of valour and went back to her own vehicle to sleep; temptations were too strong for the burster as she had just been dumped and was emotionally compromised (though her libido was arguing this fact). It would have been a peaceful evening but yet again Chris Altobeli of the Iron Mountain Defense Force didn’t QUITE think things through and decided to test out his two .45’s that had just been re-rigged to fire full auto. Emptying not one but 2 full drum magazines of 45 rounds apiece, the reports echoed across the snowy forests… then the sensation of something large, bipedal and heavy began to create impact tremors. Leaping back into the N.H.E. Mr. Altobeli screamed;
“Company’s coming!!!”

“Meanwhile, at the Bat-Cave…” (Off-camera event)
For the past few days Rika & Markus’s “home away from home”, hAvEn, had been used by two couples. Uno-Rez & James and Felix & Leena. The Gynoid and meta-human still worked on the Morphii’n archive, searching for as much data as they could for any insight to the Aggendi, while Leena (With Felix in tow) struggled to bring the giant mecha Zeiru up at least half functionality.

It was on the morning of the 4th of November that Leena had a brainstorm. As Felix was out in hAvEn’s underground garden area catching moths and Ms. Shidow lay down on a beach towel with various bits & pieces of other Morphii tech in front of her, she finally was able to mentally piece together why the black “learning mask” would not function for any of the rest of the team. It required specialized nano-tech implants; the same form of implant she had found was required to fully operate Zeiru to full potential. Hurriedly going through the pile of technology in front of her she latched onto a solid block of black crystal about the size of a large hard-bound book (and weighing nearly 40lbs.). Applying a small amount of telemechanic manipulation the device came alive with holograms above its surface. She was RIGHT! The block wasn’t just a data-crystal of unusual size and density; it was also a solid block of nano-tech machinery. It was what Captain Rika had told the young NuMan psi-tech about from her travels across the dimensions; the block was a Standard Template Construct; a machine that could teach anyone who found it, regardless of tech level, how to create more of what the template could build. In this case, Morphii nano-tech.
Felix dropped his collection jars (thus freeing the moths he had collected to live another day) in alarm as he heard Leena’s howls of triumph. He was almost too slow to prevent himself from being knocked over by the elated NuMan.

The road to healing Zeiru had begun.

November 6 & 7th PA 109; “Gonna be one of THOSE missions…”
The company that arrived was a 65ft. walker-styled mech with stylized wolf “head” cockpit, massive weapon arms and covered in the 8 armed symbol of Chaos. The battle was fierce and at points it seemed as if the “Warhound” (as Rika managed to identify it as) would be victorious. Fortunately a fatal flaw in the machines shielding was exploited by the members of Phoenix Force able to fly in close and pass through the energy barrier to attack the hull directly, as well as the phase-gun mounted on the team’s Naruni Hover Explorer’s turret. At the last moments of the battle, Darius Lupus-Canis brought the firepower of his Centurion gunship the Cerberus to bear on the crippled mech. When defeated, the plasma reactors inside the warhound detonated causing a 150ft. wide crater of molten earth & slag to be blasted into the country side. Silence fell.

After a few introductions were made by Rika (who did NOT seem pleased with Sgt. Altobeli; refusing to speak to him) the NuMan captain went into the cockpit of the NHE and closed the door to the cab. Then the Quatoria and Iron Mountain defender began to grill the entities in residence inside Melody Turner. When things seemed to begin to get ugly (Darius & Chris both feeling that the host, Melody, was being used as a puppet and not as “partner” by the council of spirits), Fionna Faraday stepped in and pulled rank on the entire discussion; promising that there WOULD be a reckoning, but only after the present mission was finished. As Darius later mentioned; Madhaven, from what he had read about, was not a place to bring in mental & emotional baggage.

The morning of the 6th dawned grey and windy, the various persons having not had much sleep due to branches knocking on the side of the HV’s hull and in Enrique’s’ case, bad feelings coming from the dead city of Manhattan. It was decided that Fionna would stay behind to guard the bridge across to the Island (technically now an Isthmus, but still with only a narrow strip of rubble & steel connecting it to the mainland) while the rest would go in using Darius’ gunship and the NHE. Darius soon realized that flying inside the Madhaven was, well, mad. Instruments began to give false images and compasses began to spin clockwise & counter clockwise at random. On foot, it seemed, was the only way to go for the moment.

In the section they were investigating, many long dead corpses were found inside half intact buildings (held together by sheer weight, mosses & plant roots) while the sensation of being watched beat down on Enrique’s mystic senses. At one point he felt a tug on his armoured long coat and saw what looked like an Asian/Hispanic man, dressed in a black body glove run into a building behind him. The problem with this was the man had run into a building with no visible entry point. The group quickly dispersed around Enrique’s find, Darius & Melody taking to the roof while Sgt. Altobeli set up overwatch nearby. Enrique found a narrow hole at the base of the building and volunteered to go in to talk to whoever had gotten his attention (and hopefully inform them they were NOT hostile) while Rika would come in behind to provide back-up close support… just in case. Inside they found their man; slumped over a translucent green shipping ‘pod’. After a few hesitant overtures by the young mystic failed to gain any response, Rika went over carefully and did a quick field diagnosis. She turned and shook her head and reported that what Enrique had seen must have been a residual spirit; the man before them, though perfectly preserved from decay or mummification, was dead of a broken neck for quite some time. Right at that moment, Enrique saw the man right beside him: it too shook its head sadly and pointed to the pod then vanished in an eye blink.
Right when Chris was charged by two walking rubble heaps.

The first day in Madhaven proper…
It was going to be one of THOSE missions.

Post Battle and a message from the dead.
The skirmish with the rubble golems (or something else), went by quickly with minimal damage to Sgt. Altobeli. Darius was quickly sent along with the human merc to go fetch the Cerberus to air-lift the pod (which had opened revealing a red armour suit with green crystal visor looking like it had been made of giant crab shell), Enrique, and the preserved body of strange male.

Back outside of Madhaven Rika quickly put the mystic and his finds into quarantine but found no pathogens or toxins on him, the corpse or the artifacts. While examining the pod, a small hemispherical protrusion became illuminated from within and a hologram of the dead man floated in front of the group. It began to speak in mildly accented anglic.

“If you are seeing this, it means my death was not in vain. I am Life-String Weaver Kahuna Pakku-Ao-Kikta-Mu from Lemuria. My companions and I were tasked with exploring and investigating the East-lands of your continent, what you call North America. We came to this cursed island to try and succor those who died in ages past along with those still living and not tainted by the madness or harmful spirits that infest it.

For many months we were successful; guiding those lost and desperate to the garden of the white roses. On occasion my apprentice and I would use our skills shaping the life-strands to grow armour and arms so that those of strong enough conviction could protect their own on their travels through the Madhaven. What you found with me is one such armour which my people and learned men of the land created from lost experiments unearthed in the center of the Madhaven’s fallen city. In the common language it is called “Skin”; a living suit of weaponized armour close in nature to the un-living metal suits used by your warrior caste.
My demise happened while we had completed moving a final group of refugees from the land known as Tolkeen, which has significance to you if the seer among my own team was correct. Regardless, after seeing those displaced into the hands of my people to be taken to safety in Lemuria, I and my companions were attacked by reavers wearing the symbol of the circle of 8 arrows and the bladed hand. During the battle I was cut off from the rest and sought to flee and don this ‘Skin’. Sadly it seems Takka-Mo-Mu was correct in one part of her vision; I would be sent to the sea of souls by stone-fall. In the shattered dwelling a piece of roof fell on me by no other power than that which dictates that all things fall. Thus, my spirit was freed from flesh but still bound to the land until the final part of the vision comes to pass.

I give over this armour to the Spirit-Seer that walks with the flame-haired sisters of the Phoenix. Use it well and in service to life. One last message I have. To the learned-one from the clan of Cormak; your patriarch is no more and has gone to swim with your ancestors in the sea of souls but take heart. Your matriarch and siblings were living when last I saw them and if the spirits will it, they are among my people to the West, in great Lemuria.

Be well and beware; the Madhaven has many dangers and not all are unquiet spirits.”

With that final sentence, the hologram fades and the crystal goes dark.

“Because it’s THRILLER, Thriller Night!” November 7th P.A.109
Another sleepless night for Rika Hanlah-Falkon VII, however all for the good. Around dawn hour Enrique was released from the quarantine section of the N.H.E. by the NuMan after she had run exhaustive tests on both him and the ‘Skin’ bio-armour. Both were free of toxins or pathogens so after giving the young mystic the good news Rika allowed him to get dressed and go check out his new toy.

30 minutes later Rika met up with Chris Altobeli up in the obs. Blister and shared some of the coffee that had been brewed earlier. The Sergeant from Ishpeming was in a pensive mood; distracted and having flashes of headache pain as images and thoughts that may be repressed memories or not tried coming through. While Altobeli struggled with his first mental bouts, Darius Canis-Lupus asked what should be done prior to their next foray into Madhaven, to which Rika requested he send a communiqué to James Cormak, informing him of most of his family still being alive if the message from Kahuna was to be believed. With a short pre-mission meeting, the NuMan captain informed everyone she was going to get 4 hours of sleep and then they were going back in. Darius & Fionna did a quick mile radius air patrol around the camp site (finding an eerie lack of even small wildlife within 5 miles of the Madhaven isthmus) and quickly returned. While the Burster and Quatoria were making sure no one snuck up on the camp site, Enrique spent the time trying to read the instructions on how to enter his gift of ‘Skin’: eventually relying on Altobeli’s half-remembered (though from where caused his brain to feel like it was afire) knowledge that most bio-tech required the user to be naked and in flesh-to-shell contact. When the mystic did so, a brief feeling of claustrophobia assailed his mind but was quickly banished when the enhanced senses meshed with his nervous system.
Enrique felt like a new man; stronger, more alert and more importantly, protected. Soon after Rika awoke, acknowledging Enrique’s accomplishment, then she began giving the marching orders; Melody Darius & Chris would take flanking positions outside the Hover, while Enrique would remain inside the vehicle while Rika drove it in.

The first hour within Madhaven had the team find a sign marked with stylized bird outline, wings spread, in (fresh) orange paint with Elvin lettering. Melody translated the message as both a greeting and warning from ‘The riders of spirits’, which the others interpreted as being from the Shemarrain Ghost-Rider tribe informing them of the dangers inside the ruined island city. Though they saw none of the cyborg amazons, they knew they had their backs watched on the mainland.
Further in ruined vehicles of military and civilian make (wheeled & hover) were scattered along the shattered roadways and under rubble; no weapons, armour or even bodies could be found but about 2 months of both CS and NG issue M.R.E.s (meals ready to eat) were scrounged still intact. Another section showed the bizarre nature of the Madhaven; Enrique, constantly under the oppressive feeling of unnatural observation from all around was further stunned when they entered what seemed to be a sub-tropical glen filled with alien trees, moss & fungi. Both Darius & Chris followed an energy reading Rika had detected using advanced Naruni sensors on the NH.E. into a patch of fungus that erupted into toxic spore clouds when Chris (and then later Enrique) tripped on them. The energy reading was identified as a Willow O’ Wisp, which when named by the mystic, and the others backed off, shot off to the South-east howling like a banshee. The place was beginning to wear everyone’s nerves raw (except Rika, aside from natural concern for her people, was both mind-blocked and under psionic fear-suppression) with the constant jump scares and oppressiveness.
That was soon to change for the worst.

Another turn and they were now back in early winter weather and mega-crete ruins. Not even a minute passed before a new horror assailed the men outside the N.H.E.; a pack of 4 infant sized “creatures” composed of bloated slug-white bodies, 3 inch long talons and heads which were all needle sharp teeth in gaping maws. Sergeant Altobeli was the only one that actually was struck, thinking his helmet visor was being eaten away by fang and acidic saliva, he took his NG rail-pistol and shot 5 times into the horror, only to find his shots had passed through nothing but air and instead brought down a section of old building. Darius had even worse luck; his pulse rifle blew deep holes into the tarmac, which was only thinly spread over what seemed to be a very deep sinkhole (as the rubble Chris had made fell into the new craters). To add insult to injury, as Altobeli consulted his Nordic rune-set, a massive E.M. spike was detected by both Rika and Darius, coming from the Western end of the city block. A huge pit opened up amidst ground tremors and out erupted Chris’ fear made real… a Scorpion like beast nearly 80+ feet long. Identical to one of the three that had killed his traveling comrades on the NG hover train.

“If it’s not one thing it’s another…” Part 1
The battle with the giant scorpion was fierce; Chris Altobelli almost being taken out by the bio-electric railgun within the bio-constructs back. Only via close co-coordinated tactics was the alien beast finally subdued (With Rika and the Enrique leaping onto the back of the Skorpon to begin removing limbs and extremities at the root). With Melody unleashing the final blow as the Skorpon tried to retreat, its neural-cortex was smashed without damaging the bio-energy organ. A few hours later, Altobelli was buttoned-up in the tactical Dreadnaught Armour (AkA; Terminator suit) gifted to him by Rika. Just in time to find a rather peaceful open area within the center of the Madhaven.
3 thermal vents near a deep but narrow stream cutting through a park were discovered and it was voted to try and enter one of them to see what may lurk below. Barely waiting for Rika to attach a cable & winch, Sgt. Altobelli leapt into one of the uncovered holes with Darius following soon after. What was discovered was a massive underground warren of natural earth & stone formations intermixed with ancient and even new tunnels. Soon after exploring a large 1000 Sq. foot area the team detected another individual ghosting them and both Darius & Sgt. Altobelli sprinted after the rag cloaked figure they found (who had subsequently ran from the 9ft. tall man-wolf and 1+ tonne walking tank) but soon lost the person / creature near a very narrow hole drilled into one of the walls. After a few moments they were addressed by the creature (his head at least; face covered by a pre-cataclysm gas-mask), which demanded to know why they had chased him. After a few apologies by the two contrite warriors, Wiggles agreed to tell them that yes, things were bad in Madhaven but those born inside the ruined city were able to cope with the spirits, but tended to be twisted in body as a result. Wiggles also said that the Hollow-ones were no longer a danger but that something almost as bad if not worse was now present, stalking mutant, human and other beasts equally. He indicated East was the way to where these new “bad lizards” may be found. After wishing them luck, Wiggles pulled his head back into the far too narrow hole and left Rika and the 3 males to make their own way through the tunnels…weapons ready.

“If it’s not one thing it’s another…” Part 2
Three hours of wandering through the twisted (and remarkably intact) underground tunnels of Madhaven later; Enrique, Chris, Darius & Rika found themselves in front of a set of large cargo elevator doors with kanji lettering stenciled on them. The captain recognized what it could be, based on her conversations back in Lazlo with Dr. Urahara; The Solitude 1 research facility and sanctuary. Sergeant Altobelli applied the chainfist gauntlet of his Terminator armour to the door and with some applied strength by the 3 males of the group; the way was open to descend. Inside the underground facility, Enrique felt a massive build up of PPE that was remaining static in one corner of the abandoned base. Investigation found one of the rooms was actually occupied by a man in his early thirties, comatose & hooked up to an auto-doctor unit. Enrique and then Rika began healing and medical procedures to assist the man JUST as a warning message blared through the Solitude 1 P.A. system. Darius, Chris and eventually Rick (who had been addressed by the stranger before he became unconscious again; “They found me…the Aggendi”) fended off a quartet of alien looking “hounds” that had managed to climb down the walls of the elevator shaft. The brief but furious fusillade by the trio cut down the beasts but the stray weapons fire also collapsed the shaft. They were STUCK, and night was falling rapidly outside, along with the disturbing news the young mystic had “heard” a telepathic chorus of voices yammering about finding ‘prey’ as the alien hounds died.

Things looked bleak; buried alive, with the nocturnal predators of Madhaven seeking a way down to get at the fresh meat & souls in the now-compromised Solitude 1. However when Rika finally managed to re-establish contact with Fionna & Melody (who D-ported into Solitude 1 to assist the NuMan with possibly porting back out) a new avenue of egress had been found. Dr. Urahara’s Wormhole portal device was still active and NOT destroyed as Rika had assumed. A little telemechanic communion with the computer systems later and Team Alpha had their way out, but to be sure, Sgt. Altobelli and Warp-Huntress Faraday worked in tandem to make sure that the Solitude could NOT be used by any malignant forces. Rika was the final one to jump through the rapidly closing Wormhole which re-located its end-point above Madhaven just as Solitude 1 went up in a super-fueled fuel-air explosion. The lightshow was a cataclysmic but welcome end to the day.
Seeing that the rescued stranger was placed in the Naruni Hover Explorer’s medical cubical to finish healing, the team settled down to enjoy the uncommon peaceful nature of the park their vehicles were grounded in; watching the stars and the city move (yes, the city seemed to re-structure itself as they looked on in mounting annoyance).

The next day both Enrique and Chris walked past the N.H.E.’s kitchenette and absently waved to the dark clothed (and rather dashing) young man seated at the table sipping at coffee.

The date is now November 8th, P.A. 109.

A slice of life; Nov. 8th P.A. 109.
~The stranger introduced himself as Roland Duel Knight Templar of the holy order of Kalicar, attempting to repay the debt of his Commander, Taeken Angraeus-Colk. After explaining why he had been unable to do so earlier (Shalyndra either forgetting or deliberately with-holding info) and his side-quest to deal with the un-settling fact the forces of the Dark-Cabal now had Imperial Titan technology (and how Roland knew this peeked Rika’s interest). When informed of the presence of Aggendi on Terra, he became agitated and made a psionic faux-pas by yelling telepathically. As he was about to apologize for this; stating he had recently ‘re-set’ an explosion was heard outside.
~An android/cyborg/D-Bee bio-mechanoid had impacted into the frozen ground just a few meters away from the parked hover vehicles. It was identified as a R’Marr scavenger by Sir Duel; a race of borg-men who did trade with the Shemarrians, junk for tradable items. Before self destructing, the R’Marr began to speak the final thoughts in its cybernetic mind… hostile life forms to the WEST of where it impacted (even though the team verified it had crashed down from the EAST). Regardless they would go west to the map co-ordinates given by the dying borg-man. At this time it was decided that Fionna should quickly move to within radio range of Lazlo and call in support. If it WAS Aggendi, they’d most likely need extra man & firepower.
~Upon arriving at the map co-ordinates (and having the psychic onslaught of spirit voices along their trip suddenly silence), they found evidence of a large skirmish. Roland Duel had to be restrained by Enrique and knocked unconscious by Rika, as he was about to debouche the N.H.E. when dressed only in his pants & jacket. In the “streets” were strewn infantry combat robots along with several heavy war machines (that looked vaguely familiar but were too badly damaged to identify), along with what caused Roland to act so impetuously; an easily recognizable Aggendi warrior corpse.
~Following a set of stairs and short tunnel into the Madhaven / New-York underground & subway system, the team found a weirdly organic looking series of interconnected chambers, filled with faint glowing crystals and fungus (along with the smell of organic decay). Further search in these chambers revealed a pile of corpses inside a spongy mass of mold / fungus, slowly being absorbed and the resultant material pumped into giant aloe-like plants. A short burst of bolter fire set the mass aflame. This action elicited a chorus of psychic voices demanding the “intruders” be killed. Soon after the ambush started. Aggendi warriors, using tactics that made Melody confused and worried, began to open up with bio-electric blaster and particle rifle fire. Even with 2 of the latter stage clone-leaders and an equal number of broodlings being swiftly taken care of by the hero’s, the battle continued. It was as if the very walls were beginning to spawn the alien saurians.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:“It’s a dead man’s party; who could ask for more?”
The situation became even more nerve wracking when Enrique passed out from encountering something ancient and aggressive whilst “becoming one with the supernatural”. Melody looked out the front of the Naruni Hover Explorer’s front windshield and saw what had K/O’d Enrique; two glowing red eyes nearly 8ft. above the ground staring through the snow squall. Chris, showing more testosterone than brains, leapt out of the N.H.E. thinking his mini-missile launcher would deal with the “threat” instead he was bowled over and missed the target completely as he was pogo’d on by the Jersey Devil.

10 minutes later and about 30 miles distant, they rendezvoused with Fionna Faraday driving her hover APC; an Eldar wave Serpent. The new sub-contractors spent a few hours getting to know Rika’s X/O and then the Captain declared a rest break. Fionna decided better part of valour and went back to her own vehicle to sleep; temptations were too strong for the burster as she had just been dumped and was emotionally compromised (though her libido was arguing this fact). It would have been a peaceful evening but yet again Chris Altobeli of the Iron Mountain Defense Force didn’t QUITE think things through and decided to test out his two .45’s that had just been re-rigged to fire full auto. Emptying not one but 2 full drum magazines of 45 rounds apiece, the reports echoed across the snowy forests… then the sensation of something large, bipedal and heavy began to create impact tremors. Leaping back into the N.H.E. Mr. Altobeli screamed;
“Company’s coming!!!”

“Meanwhile, at the Bat-Cave…” (Off-camera event)
For the past few days Rika & Markus’s “home away from home”, hAvEn, had been used by two couples. Uno-Rez & James and Felix & Leena. The Gynoid and meta-human still worked on the Morphii’n archive, searching for as much data as they could for any insight to the Aggendi, while Leena (With Felix in tow) struggled to bring the giant mecha Zeiru up at least half functionality.

It was on the morning of the 4th of November that Leena had a brainstorm. As Felix was out in hAvEn’s underground garden area catching moths and Ms. Shidow lay down on a beach towel with various bits & pieces of other Morphii tech in front of her, she finally was able to mentally piece together why the black “learning mask” would not function for any of the rest of the team. It required specialized nano-tech implants; the same form of implant she had found was required to fully operate Zeiru to full potential. Hurriedly going through the pile of technology in front of her she latched onto a solid block of black crystal about the size of a large hard-bound book (and weighing nearly 40lbs.). Applying a small amount of telemechanic manipulation the device came alive with holograms above its surface. She was RIGHT! The block wasn’t just a data-crystal of unusual size and density; it was also a solid block of nano-tech machinery. It was what Captain Rika had told the young NuMan psi-tech about from her travels across the dimensions; the block was a Standard Template Construct; a machine that could teach anyone who found it, regardless of tech level, how to create more of what the template could build. In this case, Morphii nano-tech.
Felix dropped his collection jars (thus freeing the moths he had collected to live another day) in alarm as he heard Leena’s howls of triumph. He was almost too slow to prevent himself from being knocked over by the elated NuMan.

The road to healing Zeiru had begun.

November 6 & 7th PA 109; “Gonna be one of THOSE missions…”
The company that arrived was a 65ft. walker-styled mech with stylized wolf “head” cockpit, massive weapon arms and covered in the 8 armed symbol of Chaos. The battle was fierce and at points it seemed as if the “Warhound” (as Rika managed to identify it as) would be victorious. Fortunately a fatal flaw in the machines shielding was exploited by the members of Phoenix Force able to fly in close and pass through the energy barrier to attack the hull directly, as well as the phase-gun mounted on the team’s Naruni Hover Explorer’s turret. At the last moments of the battle, Darius Lupus-Canis brought the firepower of his Centurion gunship the Cerberus to bear on the crippled mech. When defeated, the plasma reactors inside the warhound detonated causing a 150ft. wide crater of molten earth & slag to be blasted into the country side. Silence fell.

After a few introductions were made by Rika (who did NOT seem pleased with Sgt. Altobeli; refusing to speak to him) the NuMan captain went into the cockpit of the NHE and closed the door to the cab. Then the Quatoria and Iron Mountain defender began to grill the entities in residence inside Melody Turner. When things seemed to begin to get ugly (Darius & Chris both feeling that the host, Melody, was being used as a puppet and not as “partner” by the council of spirits), Fionna Faraday stepped in and pulled rank on the entire discussion; promising that there WOULD be a reckoning, but only after the present mission was finished. As Darius later mentioned; Madhaven, from what he had read about, was not a place to bring in mental & emotional baggage.

The morning of the 6th dawned grey and windy, the various persons having not had much sleep due to branches knocking on the side of the HV’s hull and in Enrique’s’ case, bad feelings coming from the dead city of Manhattan. It was decided that Fionna would stay behind to guard the bridge across to the Island (technically now an Isthmus, but still with only a narrow strip of rubble & steel connecting it to the mainland) while the rest would go in using Darius’ gunship and the NHE. Darius soon realized that flying inside the Madhaven was, well, mad. Instruments began to give false images and compasses began to spin clockwise & counter clockwise at random. On foot, it seemed, was the only way to go for the moment.

In the section they were investigating, many long dead corpses were found inside half intact buildings (held together by sheer weight, mosses & plant roots) while the sensation of being watched beat down on Enrique’s mystic senses. At one point he felt a tug on his armoured long coat and saw what looked like an Asian/Hispanic man, dressed in a black body glove run into a building behind him. The problem with this was the man had run into a building with no visible entry point. The group quickly dispersed around Enrique’s find, Darius & Melody taking to the roof while Sgt. Altobeli set up overwatch nearby. Enrique found a narrow hole at the base of the building and volunteered to go in to talk to whoever had gotten his attention (and hopefully inform them they were NOT hostile) while Rika would come in behind to provide back-up close support… just in case. Inside they found their man; slumped over a translucent green shipping ‘pod’. After a few hesitant overtures by the young mystic failed to gain any response, Rika went over carefully and did a quick field diagnosis. She turned and shook her head and reported that what Enrique had seen must have been a residual spirit; the man before them, though perfectly preserved from decay or mummification, was dead of a broken neck for quite some time. Right at that moment, Enrique saw the man right beside him: it too shook its head sadly and pointed to the pod then vanished in an eye blink.
Right when Chris was charged by two walking rubble heaps.

The first day in Madhaven proper…
It was going to be one of THOSE missions.

Post Battle and a message from the dead.
The skirmish with the rubble golems (or something else), went by quickly with minimal damage to Sgt. Altobeli. Darius was quickly sent along with the human merc to go fetch the Cerberus to air-lift the pod (which had opened revealing a red armour suit with green crystal visor looking like it had been made of giant crab shell), Enrique, and the preserved body of strange male.

Back outside of Madhaven Rika quickly put the mystic and his finds into quarantine but found no pathogens or toxins on him, the corpse or the artifacts. While examining the pod, a small hemispherical protrusion became illuminated from within and a hologram of the dead man floated in front of the group. It began to speak in mildly accented anglic.

“If you are seeing this, it means my death was not in vain. I am Life-String Weaver Kahuna Pakku-Ao-Kikta-Mu from Lemuria. My companions and I were tasked with exploring and investigating the East-lands of your continent, what you call North America. We came to this cursed island to try and succor those who died in ages past along with those still living and not tainted by the madness or harmful spirits that infest it.

For many months we were successful; guiding those lost and desperate to the garden of the white roses. On occasion my apprentice and I would use our skills shaping the life-strands to grow armour and arms so that those of strong enough conviction could protect their own on their travels through the Madhaven. What you found with me is one such armour which my people and learned men of the land created from lost experiments unearthed in the center of the Madhaven’s fallen city. In the common language it is called “Skin”; a living suit of weaponized armour close in nature to the un-living metal suits used by your warrior caste.
My demise happened while we had completed moving a final group of refugees from the land known as Tolkeen, which has significance to you if the seer among my own team was correct. Regardless, after seeing those displaced into the hands of my people to be taken to safety in Lemuria, I and my companions were attacked by reavers wearing the symbol of the circle of 8 arrows and the bladed hand. During the battle I was cut off from the rest and sought to flee and don this ‘Skin’. Sadly it seems Takka-Mo-Mu was correct in one part of her vision; I would be sent to the sea of souls by stone-fall. In the shattered dwelling a piece of roof fell on me by no other power than that which dictates that all things fall. Thus, my spirit was freed from flesh but still bound to the land until the final part of the vision comes to pass.

I give over this armour to the Spirit-Seer that walks with the flame-haired sisters of the Phoenix. Use it well and in service to life. One last message I have. To the learned-one from the clan of Cormak; your patriarch is no more and has gone to swim with your ancestors in the sea of souls but take heart. Your matriarch and siblings were living when last I saw them and if the spirits will it, they are among my people to the West, in great Lemuria.

Be well and beware; the Madhaven has many dangers and not all are unquiet spirits.”

With that final sentence, the hologram fades and the crystal goes dark.

“Because it’s THRILLER, Thriller Night!” November 7th P.A.109
Another sleepless night for Rika Hanlah-Falkon VII, however all for the good. Around dawn hour Enrique was released from the quarantine section of the N.H.E. by the NuMan after she had run exhaustive tests on both him and the ‘Skin’ bio-armour. Both were free of toxins or pathogens so after giving the young mystic the good news Rika allowed him to get dressed and go check out his new toy.

30 minutes later Rika met up with Chris Altobeli up in the obs. Blister and shared some of the coffee that had been brewed earlier. The Sergeant from Ishpeming was in a pensive mood; distracted and having flashes of headache pain as images and thoughts that may be repressed memories or not tried coming through. While Altobeli struggled with his first mental bouts, Darius Canis-Lupus asked what should be done prior to their next foray into Madhaven, to which Rika requested he send a communiqué to James Cormak, informing him of most of his family still being alive if the message from Kahuna was to be believed. With a short pre-mission meeting, the NuMan captain informed everyone she was going to get 4 hours of sleep and then they were going back in. Darius & Fionna did a quick mile radius air patrol around the camp site (finding an eerie lack of even small wildlife within 5 miles of the Madhaven isthmus) and quickly returned. While the Burster and Quatoria were making sure no one snuck up on the camp site, Enrique spent the time trying to read the instructions on how to enter his gift of ‘Skin’: eventually relying on Altobeli’s half-remembered (though from where caused his brain to feel like it was afire) knowledge that most bio-tech required the user to be naked and in flesh-to-shell contact. When the mystic did so, a brief feeling of claustrophobia assailed his mind but was quickly banished when the enhanced senses meshed with his nervous system.
Enrique felt like a new man; stronger, more alert and more importantly, protected. Soon after Rika awoke, acknowledging Enrique’s accomplishment, then she began giving the marching orders; Melody Darius & Chris would take flanking positions outside the Hover, while Enrique would remain inside the vehicle while Rika drove it in.

The first hour within Madhaven had the team find a sign marked with stylized bird outline, wings spread, in (fresh) orange paint with Elvin lettering. Melody translated the message as both a greeting and warning from ‘The riders of spirits’, which the others interpreted as being from the Shemarrain Ghost-Rider tribe informing them of the dangers inside the ruined island city. Though they saw none of the cyborg amazons, they knew they had their backs watched on the mainland.
Further in ruined vehicles of military and civilian make (wheeled & hover) were scattered along the shattered roadways and under rubble; no weapons, armour or even bodies could be found but about 2 months of both CS and NG issue M.R.E.s (meals ready to eat) were scrounged still intact. Another section showed the bizarre nature of the Madhaven; Enrique, constantly under the oppressive feeling of unnatural observation from all around was further stunned when they entered what seemed to be a sub-tropical glen filled with alien trees, moss & fungi. Both Darius & Chris followed an energy reading Rika had detected using advanced Naruni sensors on the NH.E. into a patch of fungus that erupted into toxic spore clouds when Chris (and then later Enrique) tripped on them. The energy reading was identified as a Willow O’ Wisp, which when named by the mystic, and the others backed off, shot off to the South-east howling like a banshee. The place was beginning to wear everyone’s nerves raw (except Rika, aside from natural concern for her people, was both mind-blocked and under psionic fear-suppression) with the constant jump scares and oppressiveness.
That was soon to change for the worst.

Another turn and they were now back in early winter weather and mega-crete ruins. Not even a minute passed before a new horror assailed the men outside the N.H.E.; a pack of 4 infant sized “creatures” composed of bloated slug-white bodies, 3 inch long talons and heads which were all needle sharp teeth in gaping maws. Sergeant Altobeli was the only one that actually was struck, thinking his helmet visor was being eaten away by fang and acidic saliva, he took his NG rail-pistol and shot 5 times into the horror, only to find his shots had passed through nothing but air and instead brought down a section of old building. Darius had even worse luck; his pulse rifle blew deep holes into the tarmac, which was only thinly spread over what seemed to be a very deep sinkhole (as the rubble Chris had made fell into the new craters). To add insult to injury, as Altobeli consulted his Nordic rune-set, a massive E.M. spike was detected by both Rika and Darius, coming from the Western end of the city block. A huge pit opened up amidst ground tremors and out erupted Chris’ fear made real… a Scorpion like beast nearly 80+ feet long. Identical to one of the three that had killed his traveling comrades on the NG hover train.

“If it’s not one thing it’s another…” Part 1
The battle with the giant scorpion was fierce; Chris Altobelli almost being taken out by the bio-electric railgun within the bio-constructs back. Only via close co-coordinated tactics was the alien beast finally subdued (With Rika and the Enrique leaping onto the back of the Skorpon to begin removing limbs and extremities at the root). With Melody unleashing the final blow as the Skorpon tried to retreat, its neural-cortex was smashed without damaging the bio-energy organ. A few hours later, Altobelli was buttoned-up in the tactical Dreadnaught Armour (AkA; Terminator suit) gifted to him by Rika. Just in time to find a rather peaceful open area within the center of the Madhaven.
3 thermal vents near a deep but narrow stream cutting through a park were discovered and it was voted to try and enter one of them to see what may lurk below. Barely waiting for Rika to attach a cable & winch, Sgt. Altobelli leapt into one of the uncovered holes with Darius following soon after. What was discovered was a massive underground warren of natural earth & stone formations intermixed with ancient and even new tunnels. Soon after exploring a large 1000 Sq. foot area the team detected another individual ghosting them and both Darius & Sgt. Altobelli sprinted after the rag cloaked figure they found (who had subsequently ran from the 9ft. tall man-wolf and 1+ tonne walking tank) but soon lost the person / creature near a very narrow hole drilled into one of the walls. After a few moments they were addressed by the creature (his head at least; face covered by a pre-cataclysm gas-mask), which demanded to know why they had chased him. After a few apologies by the two contrite warriors, Wiggles agreed to tell them that yes, things were bad in Madhaven but those born inside the ruined city were able to cope with the spirits, but tended to be twisted in body as a result. Wiggles also said that the Hollow-ones were no longer a danger but that something almost as bad if not worse was now present, stalking mutant, human and other beasts equally. He indicated East was the way to where these new “bad lizards” may be found. After wishing them luck, Wiggles pulled his head back into the far too narrow hole and left Rika and the 3 males to make their own way through the tunnels…weapons ready.

“If it’s not one thing it’s another…” Part 2
Three hours of wandering through the twisted (and remarkably intact) underground tunnels of Madhaven later; Enrique, Chris, Darius & Rika found themselves in front of a set of large cargo elevator doors with kanji lettering stenciled on them. The captain recognized what it could be, based on her conversations back in Lazlo with Dr. Urahara; The Solitude 1 research facility and sanctuary. Sergeant Altobelli applied the chainfist gauntlet of his Terminator armour to the door and with some applied strength by the 3 males of the group; the way was open to descend. Inside the underground facility, Enrique felt a massive build up of PPE that was remaining static in one corner of the abandoned base. Investigation found one of the rooms was actually occupied by a man in his early thirties, comatose & hooked up to an auto-doctor unit. Enrique and then Rika began healing and medical procedures to assist the man JUST as a warning message blared through the Solitude 1 P.A. system. Darius, Chris and eventually Rick (who had been addressed by the stranger before he became unconscious again; “They found me…the Aggendi”) fended off a quartet of alien looking “hounds” that had managed to climb down the walls of the elevator shaft. The brief but furious fusillade by the trio cut down the beasts but the stray weapons fire also collapsed the shaft. They were STUCK, and night was falling rapidly outside, along with the disturbing news the young mystic had “heard” a telepathic chorus of voices yammering about finding ‘prey’ as the alien hounds died.

Things looked bleak; buried alive, with the nocturnal predators of Madhaven seeking a way down to get at the fresh meat & souls in the now-compromised Solitude 1. However when Rika finally managed to re-establish contact with Fionna & Melody (who D-ported into Solitude 1 to assist the NuMan with possibly porting back out) a new avenue of egress had been found. Dr. Urahara’s Wormhole portal device was still active and NOT destroyed as Rika had assumed. A little telemechanic communion with the computer systems later and Team Alpha had their way out, but to be sure, Sgt. Altobelli and Warp-Huntress Faraday worked in tandem to make sure that the Solitude could NOT be used by any malignant forces. Rika was the final one to jump through the rapidly closing Wormhole which re-located its end-point above Madhaven just as Solitude 1 went up in a super-fueled fuel-air explosion. The lightshow was a cataclysmic but welcome end to the day.
Seeing that the rescued stranger was placed in the Naruni Hover Explorer’s medical cubical to finish healing, the team settled down to enjoy the uncommon peaceful nature of the park their vehicles were grounded in; watching the stars and the city move (yes, the city seemed to re-structure itself as they looked on in mounting annoyance).

The next day both Enrique and Chris walked past the N.H.E.’s kitchenette and absently waved to the dark clothed (and rather dashing) young man seated at the table sipping at coffee.

The date is now November 8th, P.A. 109.

A slice of life; Nov. 8th P.A. 109.
~The stranger introduced himself as Roland Duel Knight Templar of the holy order of Kalicar, attempting to repay the debt of his Commander, Taeken Angraeus-Colk. After explaining why he had been unable to do so earlier (Shalyndra either forgetting or deliberately with-holding info) and his side-quest to deal with the un-settling fact the forces of the Dark-Cabal now had Imperial Titan technology (and how Roland knew this peeked Rika’s interest). When informed of the presence of Aggendi on Terra, he became agitated and made a psionic faux-pas by yelling telepathically. As he was about to apologize for this; stating he had recently ‘re-set’ an explosion was heard outside.
~An android/cyborg/D-Bee bio-mechanoid had impacted into the frozen ground just a few meters away from the parked hover vehicles. It was identified as a R’Marr scavenger by Sir Duel; a race of borg-men who did trade with the Shemarrians, junk for tradable items. Before self destructing, the R’Marr began to speak the final thoughts in its cybernetic mind… hostile life forms to the WEST of where it impacted (even though the team verified it had crashed down from the EAST). Regardless they would go west to the map co-ordinates given by the dying borg-man. At this time it was decided that Fionna should quickly move to within radio range of Lazlo and call in support. If it WAS Aggendi, they’d most likely need extra man & firepower.
~Upon arriving at the map co-ordinates (and having the psychic onslaught of spirit voices along their trip suddenly silence), they found evidence of a large skirmish. Roland Duel had to be restrained by Enrique and knocked unconscious by Rika, as he was about to debouche the N.H.E. when dressed only in his pants & jacket. In the “streets” were strewn infantry combat robots along with several heavy war machines (that looked vaguely familiar but were too badly damaged to identify), along with what caused Roland to act so impetuously; an easily recognizable Aggendi warrior corpse.
~Following a set of stairs and short tunnel into the Madhaven / New-York underground & subway system, the team found a weirdly organic looking series of interconnected chambers, filled with faint glowing crystals and fungus (along with the smell of organic decay). Further search in these chambers revealed a pile of corpses inside a spongy mass of mold / fungus, slowly being absorbed and the resultant material pumped into giant aloe-like plants. A short burst of bolter fire set the mass aflame. This action elicited a chorus of psychic voices demanding the “intruders” be killed. Soon after the ambush started. Aggendi warriors, using tactics that made Melody confused and worried, began to open up with bio-electric blaster and particle rifle fire. Even with 2 of the latter stage clone-leaders and an equal number of broodlings being swiftly taken care of by the hero’s, the battle continued. It was as if the very walls were beginning to spawn the alien saurians.
That was a GREAT fight, those of you who read this, some hair raising stuff is to come!! :bandit:
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Jay05 wrote:That was a GREAT fight, those of you who read this, some hair raising stuff is to come!! :bandit:

The last 2 sessions were kinda crompressed (game-verse time wise) and took place roughly within same 18 hours. Update posting soon.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Ye gods, but that's going to take some rereading to fuilly appreciate!
Good thing I'm expecting to be snowed in tomorrow, so I'll have the time to do more than a skim-thru. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

“Meanwhile, outside the umbrella factory…”
Fionna’s Experience
Fionna’s attempt to escape Madhaven to Lazlo seemed to be a non-starter; every turn she made seemed to loop back on its self & what were once clear paths before now ended in massive rubble heaps. Meanwhile the horizon indicator & compass began to give false readings almost causing the wave serpent to crash a dozen times in as many minutes.
The city its self seemed to refuse to give up what had entered it. A half hour later found Fionna and her Eldar vehicle finding the grounded Naruni Hover Explorer between multiple shattered war machines (freshly destroyed but NOT by Phoenix force by the looks of it). A very annoyed sounding Rika greeted the burster as she slowed and came to a low hover close by:

“The over-groomed arrogant cyber-knight wanna-be just pulled a fast one! Put him to sleep and figued the boys and Melody could finish the mission underground. I turned my back for a MINUTE…a single minute and he either Ryuka’d or Hinas’d out of here. Some knight in shining leather HE turned out to be. Why are you back so quickly anyways?”

~**~

Leena’s Experience
The past week has been one of blissful learning and practical hands on education for the young NuMan psi-tech Leena Shidow. Once the Standard Template Construct had been discovered among the Morphii data crystals, it was just a matter of waiting for the nanite block to unpack and reconfigure. A few hiccups had occurred of course… Rika would need a new ground floor laboratory after the nanites had “recycled” the gear inside the room and tied into hAvEn’s power grid. Despite the small accidental digestion of Rika’s personal lab equipment, progress was being made on bringing Zeiru back to functional levels.
In fact, one of the broken devices salvaged from the Halcyn facility (a personal teleportation device) had enough molecular circuitry intact along with the actual dimensional compression coil (though sadly it was beyond even Leena’s skills to repair the device its self) for Zeiru’s nano-bot repair system to jury rig into “his” own network. Unfortunately, certain rare materials were in short supply; so even though some of Zeiru’s more advanced capabilities theoretically were now repaired, they couldn’t be activated. Also, the coding for said systems seemed to be either file-hidden deep in the cyberneural cortex of the war-machine or missing altogether.
It was on the sixth day of fruitless re-diagnosing of Zeiru’s circuits that Leena was shocked out of her rut. The Cosmo War-Titan co-opted hAvEn’s entire PA system at emergency volume levels while turning on the red-alert lights;

[Warning! Warning! Remote sensors detect active bio-energy signature corresponding to Aggendi war machines and organitechnology. Retrieving satellite telemetry and imaging; location accurate to within 0.005 of Terran base-ten measure ‘Kilometers’. Advise level prime military mobilization!]

The location shown on the holographic display of the nearby computer showed a topographical real-time map of the eastern area of North America. The glowing red cross-hairs were centered on the lump of land that used to be called Manhattan… the ‘Madhaven’.

“MORTAL KOMBAT!!!”
The battle raged in the underground brood-chamber; ammo supplies began to run to 50% for Sgt. Altobelli while Darius, Enrique and Melody were not only dealing with a seemingly endless number of far too intelligent Aggendi broodling & first-stage warriors but also acid-mist trip mines. THEN… one of the scout mechs powered up. To cap all of this, Rika had just been in ansible conference with Uno-Rez back in Lazlo: the council of defense had declared a Tyranid / Mechanoid level threat. If Team Alpha could not contain the Aggendi within the next 6 hours, a concentrated nuclear strike by long range missile and VF carried reaction-missiles would be ordered on Madhaven. Fionna and Rika quickly attempted to rejoin the rest of the team so that “the final option” would not need to be carried out.

Darius and Melody hammered and blasted away at the Aggendi scout mecha; the crab-shaped bio-construct managing to evade almost ¾ of the attacks, showing maneuverability equal to a Phaeton-Juicer piloted jump-jet. Meanwhile Enrique was rendered non-combatant as his ‘Skin’ began to show signs of neural palsy due to something in the acid mist that had managed to contact its surface.
Finally, Rika and Fionna entered the fray, with Fionna flying in and slashing at the bio-mech while Rika summoned “bigger gun” with one of her learned phase skills. Taking careful aim, the NuMan captain fired a single NE plasma cartridge bolt into the center of mass for the Aggendi scout. The result was unexpected and violent. A 100ft. diameter ball of raw plasma along with resultant shockwave slammed into Fionna, Enrique and Melody. The burtser only took minor damage from the shockwave due to her immunity to plasma and Melody rode the blast out of the chamber (and her mystically bestowed bio-metal armour took the brunt), but the young mystic and Wolfen star-marshal were not so fortunate. The ‘Skin’ was 90% covered in carbonized chitin (and close to “death”), while Darius was stripped of force-field, armour AND his entire outer layer of flesh and endoskeleton…
Reacting quickly despite the shock of nearly destroying her own team mates, Rika quickly gathered those who were ambulatory to assist the injured and opened a Hinas d-portal back out to the surface. The Wave-serpent and N.H.E. vehicles were there at the end-point of the psi-magic tunnel, but their location was Not within Madhaven. The wounded and beleaguered team was now in a clear and peaceful meadow on the mainland, just a few miles away from the Manhattan isthmus. Darius, Melody and Enrique did not lay blame on Rika; citing friendly fire and unexpected hazards were just part of the business of ware, while Fionna telepathically kept her commander from retreating into despair. A half-hour passed and Fionna, making up her mind, went ahead and used ‘Regen’; a powerful psi-magic skill to at least heal Darius’ flesh, but as for the cyborg-system damage, he would require professional cyber-tech. Having exhausted her psionic reserves, Fionna slumped down against her vehicles rear crew ramp and dealt with the nose-bleed.
Then… heavy, rhythmic vibrations, as if a giant was approaching echoed from the forest just north of the group.

“Well…you don’t NOT see that every day…”
~Despite various inconclusive and vague sensor (and visual) scans of the area, all that could be found of what made the titanic foot steps in the forest was two narrow, pointed-toe imprints in the soil, giving a rough estimate that the thing had been about 60+ feet and over 100 tons. Also, a relatively intact Bandito-Robotics Mole-Miner bot was left just in front of the pair of giant foot prints.

~The trip back to Lazlo was truncated due to random poly-phase dimensional anomaly (re; a Rift), placing the Naruni H.V. just on the shoreline of Lazlo city’s lakefront.

~Darius was taken to a Cyber-medics and the diagnosis was; two weeks minimum up to a full month for full nano-bot recovery of the endoskeleton.

~Rika was informed that the Sleipnir would be grounded until further notice due to no magi-tech trained engineers being available to crew the starship.

~James Cormak & Uno-Rez had placed a request to search for his family with both Phoenix Nest Primus and the Council of Learning. Permission was granted, so long as it was understood that most Phoenix Force material and ‘unique’ vehicles were to remain behind due to danger of attracting Coalition notice. The reason being, most of the D-gate portals and Ley-Line railway had been recently disrupted by unknown causes, thus if the mission was to be officially sanctioned, the team would need to provide their own mode of transit, using ‘local’ non-proscribed technology.

~Melody Turner showed signs of regression to her “normal” self, but within 48 hours reverted back to the gestalt consciousness everyone had become used to.

~A large sum of credits had been deposited into the communal funds for Team-Alpha (provided by Shalyndra Baza-Khaine & Deiter VonBrandt), most of which Rika invested in a special commission for Northern-Gun via one of their sales agents in Lazlo with the rest going to payments for Darius, Enrique, Melody & Chris Altobelli.

~A decision to cut cross country and then southwards towards Panama or at least California, hopefully to charter a deep-water ocean vessel to search out Lemuria was agreed upon.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nov 12th - 14th , P.A. 109 “Every-body’s doing the Michigan rraaaaaaaggggg!”
~Before the team could leave, a few items needed to be procured (taking 48 hours); Chris Altobelli being introduced to Guido ‘the Hammer’ Giuseppe in the employ of Riccardo T. Ratt. The meeting went well, with possibility of further business dealings (and perhaps even discounts).

Enrique Raymond went to find vampire fighting materials over in the Lazlo Mages Guild community. There he made the acquaintance of one Abdul Goldberg and his ‘Magic & Technowizardry Emporium’. To say that the merchant was a dirty underhanded snake-oil salesman would have been an insult to swindlers across the megaverse. Regardless Ricky managed to procure what he needed without major harm to his finances.

Rika procured a small 2 man (but large cargo) hover-jeep by Northern Gun and had a rotary automatic shotgun installed into the top turret (with 3 separate ammo packs; all the better to deal with Vampires, pirates and CS, oh my…). The new vehicle being used for camouflage in possible CS patrolled areas along with carrying the teams extra ammo & survival gear.

Both James and Melody grabbed Wellington Arms assault hovercraft (and additional personal gear) and soon joined up with the rest of the team over by the western gate of Lazlo.

~Just before leaving for their journey, a tall, silver-armoured Amazonian rode up to the team, mounted on a robotic unicorn. Without ceremony the female warrior introduced herself as Hope Brightlance of the Shemarrian Hawkmoon tribe. She presented the robo-steed to Enrique with the admonishment that; “This was to be a gift to one close to me, who I have now lost. Treat it well.” She then strode off without any further comment. Rika then stated that a large amount of markers and favours had been called in with her fellow commander, Eris Cloud, to allow Mr. Raymond the use of the steed.

~The first day progressed very well with no major impediments (although Enrique did take a few spills off of ‘Silver’, being a bit rusty in his horse-back riding skills). That all changed as they reached the Windsor / Detroit border. A massive storm was blowing in from the North-west bringing a heavy snowfall. The team voted to power through across the river to just above Detroit. Barely making it to a series of half collapsed walls, the group made camp in the lee of a fairly sturdy 90° section of wall. Enrique and Chris Altobelli had to re-erect their tens twice due to sudden gusts of wind but eventfully the camp was secure. Melody, Fionna & Rika shared one tent while James and Uno shared one for themselves (the two having become closer while working on the Morphii’n archives). This left Altobelli and Enrique with tents to themselves. When the storm passed Rika was across both women; her head on Fionna’s chest and legs curled across Melody’s hips. Fionna teased Rika several times telepathically over the course of the morning when they finally woke up (Uno and James having been on final watch, had set up breakfast for everyone. and shared more platonic time together) causing the Numan to become embarresed and somewhat confused.

~Having had “field expedient freeze dried coffee’, Rika was the first to suggest heading north to Northern Gun / Ishpeming for a supply run for REAL coffee (and food). Sgt. Altobelli & Mr. Cormak were quick to second the motion. So, changing course slightly (and Rika allowing Fionna to take over driving duties) Phoenix Alpha headed up-country to the industrial powerhouse of North America.

~Around 100km from the Lake Michigan ford, Chris Altobelli detected in the trees a familiar form; a Skorpon warrior drone. Stopping their convoy, the team cautiously approached the bio-mech with weapons armed. On closer inspection it was discovered it was quite, quite dead; the head & brain were burned away and the outer exoskeleton appeared to have been torn into with claws. It almost resembled a dragon’s handiwork, except, as the radio chatter between the Phoenix Alpha members flowed, a new voice interjected on their frequency;
“Naw, it was our handiwork. And I do mean WORK. Thing took a lot of killing.”

When James Cormak interrogated who was on their channel and Sgt. Altobelli identified himself, the voice laughed and replied;
“Sergeant Altobelli?! We thought you were dead, man! Lieutenant Fredricks, Steel-Fang wolfpack, 3rd squad; at your service!”

At this the sound of several heavy mechanized foot treads resounded over the noise of pines being shoved aside and the view of half a dozen massive combat bots (and infantry support) broke through the foliage.

[[Expositional exposition]]
~After pleasantries were exchanged and bonnefides authenticated, the Steel-Fang Wolfpack informed Team Alpha that several sightings and encounters with the scorpion like beasts had occurred over the last month. In fact at least half a dozen had been sighted attacking Xiticix hive towers (and most of them detonating in fusion detonations). A few of the Ishpeming Military Contract Network teams had suffered casualties finding out the hard-way about the Skorpons’ propensity to exploding when taking fatal damage to their thorax, along with the almost preternatural intelligence and cunning the creatures showed in battle. All that had changed as of the 9th of November, when the afore-mentioned intelligence suddenly became absent. Rika, in a show of trust, shared some of the de-classified battle footage and intel of Team-Alpha’s encounter in Madhaven, suggesting that even though the controlling intelligence of the Aggendi may have been broken, that all defenders of civilization keep watch for the alien saurians. Lt. Fredricks, suitably impressed (and recognizing Uno, Fionna and Rika from the ‘Phoenix Force Forever’ comic series) thanked everyone for their efforts and offered to escort them over to the northern shipping docks of Lower Michigan. This offer was accepted, along with advice on how to stay under the Coalition’s radar; the general sentiment Team Alpha observed being that Northern Gun only accepted the CS’s presence as a necessary annoyance.

~A quick and dizzying series of transferences onto hovertarins once over in the Manistique Imperiums’ territory (upper Michigan) and Team Alpha was on their way (relatively safely) to Northern Gun proper. Sgt. Altobelli found out that his old unit was going on re-supply and R&R furlough in the main city, so he’d be able to catch up with them. Lt. Fredricks promised to send word ahead.
As the Hovertrains snaked along westward, Rika & Fionna suggested that it might be a good idea if they stayed behind and begin trying to set up an intel network inside of Northern Gun city, while the rest of the team continued on-mission. After much discussion (and assurances that Rika & Fionna could easily rejoin once their own objectives were complete, via their psi-magic), it was agreed that Uno, as 3rd in command, would take over lead with Sgt. Altobelli as her second.

~The final hovertrain pulled into a large roundhouse structure about ten miles from Northern Gun city. While off-loading their personal vehicles from the cargo-cars, they were cautioned by Chris that NO military vehicles were permitted past the 3-mile outside of NG City. Shrugging the team just carried on with finishing off the latest leg of their journey. They were not so nonchalant when they saw the NG ‘safe’ and ‘secure zones’…

~After making sure any and all proscribed gear (including obviously magic weapons) was safely locked in one of the Secure Bunkers (and avoiding any conspicuous CS presence), Phoenix Team Alpha spent a small amount of credit (10 creds apiece) to board one of the continuously operating smaller hovertrains into the city, marveling at the enormous defense redoubts circumscribing NG City.
The latest part of the journey was near completion. The date is now Nov. 14th P.A. 109.

“This is not Ibiza. This is not Cologne. This is not Osaka. This is not London…” Nov. 14 P.A. 109
~Customs was easily handled, as Sgt. Altobelli had already informed the team about what was and was not permitted into the city. When both Rika & Fionna were about to be processed, they realized that fitting in was NOT going to be an issue. As her ears drooped, Rika pointed out a large banner flapping in the brisk early winter breeze:
“Welcome to Phoenix Con. 2”
The street nearest the hotel complexes were filled with bio-system cosmetically altered or just ‘cos-player’ renditions of the ‘Phoenix Force 4-Ever’ comic series.

~With Fionna and Rika “blending in” with the multiple copies of themselves (and consequently, feeling out sentiments from the Ishpeming locals towards the team and Lazlo), Uno & James headed out to take in the culture of the city. Melody wandered off on her own. This left Enrique & Chris to their own devices. Sgt. Altobelli, having already discussed the matter with both X/O & Captain, headed over to Northern Gun corporate H.Q.: he had business to discuss with Jorel J. Levinson [Head of customer service] & Dennis Hughes [Pres. NG Legal Division].

~One thing that stood out to everyone; the number of D-Bee’s wandering the city. Instead of the Xenophobic, alien hating fascist state they had feared would be present (due to the misguided treaty with the C.S.); there was a bustling cosmopolitan commercial metropolis. Only overt magic and technomancy was absent.

~N.G.H.Q. was a clean lined, ultra-modern building with a very nice and pleasant blonde secretary at the front reception desk. When Enrique and Chris introduced themselves they were seen almost immediately by Mr. Levenson. Their trip up to the upper middle floor was briefly interrupted by what looked like a walking bear. Said “bear” was actually an all too human gentleman by the name of Sir Eric Canapini, Cyberknight & leader of the Iron Mountain Defense Force. Promising to meet up with Sir Eric and a few others of the I.M.D.F., Enrique and Chris ascended the private elevator to Jorel J. Levenson’s office.
Both were treated very well by the Customer Service executive; beers were shared, war stories shared (as some people still could not believe that Sgt. Altobelli could still be alive) and business discussed.

~James and Uno wandered over to the N.G.H.Q. after having inquired of Chris on his whereabouts. Uno was invited to discuss contract terms with JJ. Levenson, being acting C/O while Fionna and Rika were “undercover”. At the reception desk the couple were gushed over by the same perky blonde receptionist; a lady who happened to be a big fan of Uno-Rez’s on-stage singer-performer personae. While James arranged with the receptionist two tickets to THE biggest match in the Ishpeming Robodome, Uno-Rez extended one of her live-wire links into the corporate computer to have a secure conversation with Jorel Levenson. This caused a bit of a panic as Uno’s intrusion, while not hostile, did trip a number of security protocols (though no trace of an actual software intrusion could be found by security later on).

~Business was concluded with Uno-Rez charming and intimidating Mr. Levenson in turns (and thus procuring as VERY lucrative contract for both parties), while Enrique had his first encounter with real craft-beer. As the group exited back into the lobby, NG Loss Prevention Office personnel were huddled over the reception desk computer terminal. As James became too demanding/ curious to know what Northern Gun official security was doing with their own hardware in their own territory, Sgt. Altobelli stepped in to defuse the situation, as ‘Ricky grinned goofily at the black clad ‘not-so-secret-police’.

~Retiring to a local pub for food and more drinks, discussions on next plan of action and activities for the next 2 days was discussed. Enrique, having gotten inebriated, was subjected to James Cormak’s family hang-over remedy (messy hilarity ensued). As the young mystic ran to the rest-room, both Sgt. Altobelli & Uno detected surveillance being directed at them; a car parked across the street, and ‘trembler’ laser-microphones beamed at the pub’s window. The sounds of Rick’s antics in the restroom caused the surveillance to vacate.
When the mystic returned, the group was approached by another of the I.M.D.F. and comrade of Chris’; Hendrik Harterich, German ley-line mage and minor telepath.

Who was spying on the more visible members of the team?
Why were Sgt. Altobelli’s former team-mates so keen on re-connecting and having he AND his “new” team join them in the most secure public building in Ishpeming (the Ishpeming Arms Hotel)?
What was so special about the Robodome match-up between Ivan Anatov’s ‘Cerano Alpha’ & Hatori

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Yep...nothing like hiding as yourselves at a 'con...and losing the cosplay competition to a bunch of fanboys/girls. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Yep...nothing like hiding as yourselves at a 'con...and losing the cosplay competition to a bunch of fanboys/girls. :bandit:

That's the joke. :mrgreen:
Rika; "My breasts are not THAT big! How can she walk in a 1G gravity well, or not snap in half?! Her waist is thinner than my wrist!" :frust: :nh:

Yes... several of the issues of 'Phoenix Force 4Ever' were drawn by Leifeld, and with the advances in bio-system implants and prosthesis, a number of fan girls CAN look like the comicbook representations. :badbad:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

I am glad that this is still going on. Keep it coming.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:Yep...nothing like hiding as yourselves at a 'con...and losing the cosplay competition to a bunch of fanboys/girls. :bandit:

That's the joke. :mrgreen:
Rika; "My breasts are not THAT big! How can she walk in a 1G gravity well, or not snap in half?! Her waist is thinner than my wrist!" :frust: :nh:

Yes... several of the issues of 'Phoenix Force 4Ever' were drawn by Leifeld, and with the advances in bio-system implants and prosthesis, a number of fan girls CAN look like the comicbook representations. :badbad:

Plastic and carbon fiber surgery. Yes, you too can look like a store mannequin...with LAZER EYES!!!!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

“Strange strange days I'm not crazed, I'm not phased by the laws … I am the one who deplores all the wars. You know you got to breath not deceive” Nov. 15-16 P.A. 109
~Conversation and discussion was enjoyed at the lounge of the Ishpeming Arms Hotel. Not only Hendrik & Sir Eric were there, but also Sgt. Torrey Jones; 2nd in command of the I.M.D.F. & a short leather clad & hooded fellow known only as ‘Gobby’. While information was exchanged between the two teams, Uno-Rez excused herself, stating business had to be taken care of. When asked by James, she mentioned it would be “Spoilers…” if she revealed what business she was conducting.

~Sir Eric’s boisterous nature was magically suppressed by Hendrik, and Sgt. Jones carried the dazed cyberknight to his room while Mr. Harterich invited Enrique and James to continue the discussion in a more secure setting. This left the silent ‘Gobby’ and Chris Altobelli across from each other. In a vain attempt to get the “creepy little dude” to open up, Chris began to order copious amounts of the local ale.

~Next morning dawned with Chris and ‘Gobby’ in one of the low-rent rooms at the Ishpeming Arms; Chris draped off of a couch (head first) and Gobby hugging the toilet.

~James and Enrique woke up in the 3 room suite that had been already rented earlier (thanks to Uno & Rika’s management skills) wondering how they ended up in the suite with no memory of the evening discourses with Hendrik. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and breakfast woke the two men up and as they exited into the common room, they met with Uno-Rez, dressed in ‘civilian’ cloths. Chris soon joined the trio after taking receivership of his packages from NG (courtesy of Jorel), and after commenting on his surreal evening with the still mute ‘Gobby’ began to plan out the next two days.

~ Uno-Rez revealed that she would be doing the pre-match musical number with a fellow musical colleague; Johnny Black-Hand (a guitarist / singer out of Kingsdale). James found the name vaguely familiar, commenting that it was similar to a character he had seen in an ‘RPG’ from the time before the Rifts. Uno just smiled and mentioned that the individual never claimed the name was his birth-name. After a chaste kiss on James’ cheek, Uno left for rehearsal and contract discussions. Chris was going to do his ‘Commercial’ for Northern Gun promotions but he asked Ricky and James to go and try to flush out who may be spying on them.

~The filming of the commercial didn’t go according to script. Instead of a “battle” against an animatronics Broadkil (Which Sgt. Altobelli argued lacked realism), the film-shoot was interrupted by mutant tunnel rats. After the powder smoke from the ram-jet rounds Chris had loaded his semi and fully auto guns with, and the twitching of the last rodent of unusual size had stilled, Jorel Levenson distractedly assured Chris that all contract particulars would be honoured (as he wiped stray rat entrails off of his business suit).

~While Sgt. Altobelli was otherwise occupied, James and Enrique had finally “tagged” who was following them; a pair of large hover sedans (one of which they had managed to lose). As they stopped at a corner and decided to confront their shadow, the occupant of the hover-sedan exited; a large 6ft. gentleman-of-colour, with tightly corn-rowed hair, wrap around sunglasses, black gloves and black 3 piece suit. The man attempted to be nonchalant and aped looking at a public data-terminal.
Enrique thought quickly and surreptitiously cast a befuddle spell on the individual. As the suspected spy staggered to the ground, James and Enrique rushed in to “aid him”. The Hover sedan began to react strangely (no one else was inside it after James did a quick look-see) and began to jerk forwards & back, raise & lower and otherwise go haywire. While this was occurring, Ricky did a cursory first aid check on the well-dressed man; no pulse (due to the fact the mans’ arms were well crafted cyber-limbs) and as he rose to his feet and thanked the young mystic, he leaned down and also thanked him for revealing he was either a psionic or spell caster. Enrique released his grip in shock as the “spy” reentered his now under control sedan and cruised away on auto-pilot.
Just as Chris Altobelli arrived in a taxi.
Before reaching their nominal C/O, a non-descript woman leaned over to James and mentioned they were quick on their feet but their spy-craft was appalling. Turning to try and follow who had spoken to him, all he could see was the crowd of the city.

~In the Taxi, the 3 men discussed the relative success of Chris’ plan (James was NOT happy about being used as “bait”) and who could be working FOR their interests against the as-yet unknown spies. Altobelli’s frustrations found outlet against the driver of their cab; an automaton ‘Johnny Cab’ drone. While the paint peeled off the cabs’ exterior from the Sergeant’s language, the sun began to set and a cold wind blew into to the city… while billboards across the industrial & commercial Mecca began to show promotional clips of the match-up for the 16th, with an announcement of Uno-Rez’s first live appearance in concert at Ishpeming.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

At least they didn't wake up in that hotel room with blanked memories and one or more of the following:
-Missing comrade
-Small infant, identity unknown
-Large predator in bathroom
-Hot contraband(or million plus in credits) in an unmarked piece of luggage
-Dead prostitute/exotic dancer
-Dead law officer
-Dead ANYTHING
-Marriage certificate to unknown member of opposite gender
-Marriage certificate to EACH OTHER
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-Missing comrade: Been there done that.
-Small infant, identity unknown: Haven't gotten to THAT particular trope... weird; been running this game for over 24 years... hmmmm. :-?
-Large predator in bathroom: I.E.; typical Tuesday.
-Hot contraband(or million plus in credits) in an unmarked piece of luggage: Recently happend on Centre. I don't like pulling that gag more than twice per PC group. :demon:
-Dead prostitute/exotic dancer: Not for lack of trying...
-Dead law officer: Last pulled this one around 2003.
-Dead ANYTHING: Well if you're gonna go all-encompassing here... does UN-dead count?
-Marriage certificate to unknown member of opposite gender: I plead the fifth.
-Marriage certificate to EACH OTHER: Bizzarely enough... never happend in circumstances like this.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

“I'm a soldier, born to stand in this waking hell I am witnessing more than I can compute. Pray myself we don't forget lies, betrayed and the oppressed. Please give me the strength to be the truth.” Nov. 16th P.A. 109
~The beginning of the 16th was filled with rehearsals and pre-show stage management for Uno-Rez, nervousness for James, tedium for Enrique & Chris and post-convention annoyance for Rika & Fionna. The latter two ladies having only come in 3rd place for their entry into the cos-paly competition at ‘Phoenix Con.’, though despite this, both were pleased with the fact their disguises held up under “close” scrutiny.

~Gathering together at the Robodome turned into something of a comedy of errors; even though everyone was on the lookout for fellow team-mates and possible spy-tails, everyone was distracted by the enormous level of noise and mass of people. The humour of the situation came to a head when, caught up in her ‘convention personae’ Rika “flashed her goods” towards Chris, James & Enrique. Much embarrassment ensued for the NuMan as both redheads joined the rest of the group in their reserved seats.

~Pre-concert & match entertainment was provided via the massive vid-screens hung at the cardinal points of the arena;
#Highlights from the previous weeks’ league match. Looked like two Titan Industries battle-bots using giant maces and ad-hoc 'round' shields. The match was tedious and slow but still amusing...
#Chris looked up just in time to see one of the present vid-cast only matches; Looked like a Gunwulf Vs. some sort of 4 legged black-panther mecha. The 4 legged beast leaped over what looked like a part of an abandoned iron works foundry and ripped downwards across the gunwulfs’ chest with all 4 mechanized claws, tearing the armour down to the supports:
Announcer: "That's gotta hurt ladies gents and others! And the count... ONE...TWO...THREE!" -HOOOOOONK- AND Lupurecal is DOWN for the semi-finals of the heavyweight un-limited division. Give it up for Valeria Sayle of Kingsdale!"
The Pilot of the 4 legged panther-mecha opened the head mounted cockpit and took off her piloting helmet; a faceless black gloss job with blue tinted visor. Blonde hair streamed down framing a handsome woman’s’ visage of maybe 18 or 25 years... the scar under one eye made it hard to judge. Then the vid screens blanked with stats for her machine (that can be posted publicly) along with Valeria's win / loss table.

~Then the music-show started. First with Johnny Blackhand & the Blackmages with their hit single ‘The Skies Above’ sung by one of the local tenor opera singers of Ishpeming. Then… Uno-Rez took to the stage; a giant 80ft. hologram of Uno appeared over the stage along with her real body under it. The blue haired gynoid began singing one of the CS-banned songs from before the time of the cataclysm; ‘Rise’ by Origa.

~As the stage was broken down, Uno-Rez rejoined the group, dressed in “civilian” clothes comprised of a white hoodie & blue jeans. For some reason, Fionna kept asking Rika if this was the real Uno-Rez (not having seen Uno-Rez acting “human” when she was with Thomas Carmichael). While Rika reassured her X/O, Sgt. Altobelli began scanning the crowds for their “shadows”. Just before the main event was to begin both he and Uno found them: two males in the bleachers section and one female in the same premium section as Phoenix Alpha. The give away was that the trio was all dressed in black formal attire, wrap-around sunglasses and had synth-skin covered cyberlimbs.

~Unfortunately, Sgt. Altobelli’s attempts at ‘covert’ inspection of one of the spies fell through, and he received an arena chair to the face. Then the two title-match gladiator mecha took to the arena floor. James ran at ¼ his fastest sprint speed to assist Chris, and when attacked himself (the Man-In-Black’s hands were sparking with electrical charge) the meta-human scholar retaliated…and splattered the top half of the mans’ torso across several dozen square ft.; James stood in shock as Enrique engaged the ‘Woman-In-Black’. The mystic received a taser to the face for his troubles.

~Rika noticed that the ‘Crowd-Safe’ signs for their section were turned off, and in a sudden epiphany, realized what was going to occur as she looked back at the mecha-combat and saw Cerano Alpha pointed towards their section, shoulder missile packs opened. She ordered Uno-Rez to take over the Public Address system and warn the civilians to evacuate. Uno-Rez then dealt with the female spy in a slightly more clean but no-less-lethal manner.

~Sgt. Altobelli ran and picked up both Fionna and Rika (who were restraining their powers so as not to cause panic; which was a moot point after James miscalculation), and with both under his arms, ran to the exit as Cerano armed and fired its rocket-pods. Only quick thinking on Fionna’s part saved the team; opening a ‘HINAS’ dimension-door to hers & Rika’s hotel room, with an order to the rest to follow behind. The last the team saw of the situation was through the rapidly closing portal as the armour-piercing missiles struck the mega-glass barriers and shattered them into a storm of razor edged crystalline shards.

…Where the third and final Man In Black had gone, no one knew.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Title swap comming up. Next major plotz arcs on the way soon.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Still just as exciting to read as ever. Looking forward to reading the next chapters.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143080
That is the latest thread to host Phoenix Force and its exploits. Not much to post as I seem to be hemoraging players at an alarming rate (nothing to do with the game; more to do with everyones IRL baggage :frust: ).

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”