Compiling TMNT Info

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Compiling TMNT Info

Unread post by Gazirra »

I've owned physical copies of the TMNTRPG books for quite some time now, and I don't like the idea of using books that are no longer produced in a campaign. Nor do I ike having to flip through several books to make a character. Thus, I'm collating a lot of the data from the old TMNT/ATB books. I'm not likely to do anything setting-specific (NPCs, story concepts, skills, etc.). The goal is to make a generic book that may be used for many types of TMNT-style campaigns. Essentially, the book is a bunch of copy/pasting of info from the books and a little from the 'Net (animal writeups).

I currently have the "How to play an RPG" thing written by KS (in case someone new is reading the compilation), attributes section, alignments, experience, BIO-E, and combined/expanded mutant animal origin tables completed. I plan on finding a way to combine the vehicle construction rules (my current idea will establish a ratio for the cost of each individual book's prices vs the main book's or TDTMNT's prices), making a thorough equipment/weapons section (using stuff from most of the books, including Ancient/Black Powder/Modern/possibly Future Weapons sections), and I'm going to include a GM's Section, with stuff like the time travel and magic rules. Mutant Insect PCs will also be a possibility in the GM's Section.

I'm presently working on skills. I've eliminated skills that would be of limited usage (like "Create Jungle Poisons").

I'm wondering if there's anything I'll need to consider or watch out for when doing this compilation. I'm not 100% sure what to include beyond what I've listed.
TheEvilDM
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Started with Fantasy & TMNT in '88.

Re: Compiling TMNT Info

Unread post by TheEvilDM »

is this for the original first printing or the newer stuff? Also, while I think your idea is super cool and helpful, I don't think you can legally take stuff from books and put them into one book and hand it out? Unless Palladium has no real problem with it?
- TheEvilDM
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS!My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
Actual Plays Podcast - Can be found on all major Podcast platforms and youtube!
Beyond Earths - A Palladium Actual Play Podcast
- Season 1 DeadWinter- a Dead Reign Day 0 start
- Season 2 Heroes Unlimited Campaign!
- Season 3 Palladium Fantasy 1e (Current Season)
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

AlucardD20 wrote:is this for the original first printing or the newer stuff? Also, while I think your idea is super cool and helpful, I don't think you can legally take stuff from books and put them into one book and hand it out? Unless Palladium has no real problem with it?

I'm not planning on handing it out, actually. I don't want to run afowl of copyright C&D notices or anything
TheEvilDM
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Started with Fantasy & TMNT in '88.

Unread post by TheEvilDM »

Gazirra wrote:
AlucardD20 wrote:is this for the original first printing or the newer stuff? Also, while I think your idea is super cool and helpful, I don't think you can legally take stuff from books and put them into one book and hand it out? Unless Palladium has no real problem with it?

I'm not planning on handing it out, actually. I don't want to run afowl of copyright C&D notices or anything

Oh ok cool. ;)
- TheEvilDM
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS!My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
Actual Plays Podcast - Can be found on all major Podcast platforms and youtube!
Beyond Earths - A Palladium Actual Play Podcast
- Season 1 DeadWinter- a Dead Reign Day 0 start
- Season 2 Heroes Unlimited Campaign!
- Season 3 Palladium Fantasy 1e (Current Season)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I wouldn't omit skills. For each of the After the Bomb books there are setting specific skills. Unless you plan on centering the game solely in North America then by omitting skills you're hamstringing pc's from other parts of the world.

but that's just me. I do like the idea of everything in one handy dandy book
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I wouldn't omit skills. For each of the After the Bomb books there are setting specific skills. Unless you plan on centering the game solely in North America then by omitting skills you're hamstringing pc's from other parts of the world.

but that's just me. I do like the idea of everything in one handy dandy book

What about the Australian Aboriginal skills?

I was thinking of compressing all of the language skills into the generic "Language" skill from the main book
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Gazirra wrote:What about the Australian Aboriginal skills?

I was thinking of compressing all of the language skills into the generic "Language" skill from the main book

Nope and Nope. I wouldn't omit anything specific to a source/world book. The Aboriginal skills don't translate over to the American SW and the Skills from the main book won't keep you from dying in the Yucatan, and so on and so on. They were made into different skills because they ARE different skills. Otherwise we'd not have Wilderness Survival we'd have Outdoor Survival Let's the pc survive outside of a fairly modernized home with easy access to food and utilities anywhere in the world under any type of weather conditions. Without this skill any PC trying to live "out doors" or somwhere away from the conveniences of a quickie-mart or major retail chain risks dying of exposure or starvation. It's just to broad and ridiculous. That's why they specialized each skill (imho).

The same applies for language. Just because I can speak Spanish, doesn't mean i can speak Mandarin Chinese. The sentences are structured differently and such. Now while I (actually) can sing in German, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Hebrew and Zulu..It doesn't mean I can "speak" the language.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Gazirra wrote:What about the Australian Aboriginal skills?

Nope and Nope. I wouldn't omit anything specific to a source/world book. The Aboriginal skills don't translate over to the American SW and the Skills from the main book won't keep you from dying in the Yucatan, and so on and so on. They were made into different skills because they ARE different skills. Otherwise we'd not have Wilderness Survival we'd have Outdoor Survival Let's the pc survive outside of a fairly modernized home with easy access to food and utilities anywhere in the world under any type of weather conditions. Without this skill any PC trying to live "out doors" or somwhere away from the conveniences of a quickie-mart or major retail chain risks dying of exposure or starvation. It's just to broad and ridiculous. That's why they specialized each skill (imho).

The same applies for language. Just because I can speak Spanish, doesn't mean i can speak Mandarin Chinese. The sentences are structured differently and such. Now while I (actually) can sing in German, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Hebrew and Zulu..It doesn't mean I can "speak" the language.

I didn't mean to make it "You take the Language Skill, and you speak every Language." I meant that all of the various "Language" skills, which have differing percentages, being condensed into a common "Language" skill with a single percentage value.

And I agree with your "Don't eliminate any skills" stance, now that you explained it.

Thus far, my aim has been to make the compilation a generic book for nearly any setting using the TMNT rules. If I were to use the Aboriginal Skills, I'd have to likely use the Backgrounds supporting them, as no others ones (that I'm aware of) would be able to use them.

I'm wondering what the ruling would be in handing someone a copy of a part of this compilation, provided they already have a physical copy of the book? Also considering the fact that none of this info is bringing PB any more profit

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”