vampires

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

vampires

Unread post by say652 »

how would i create a vampire power set for heroes unlimited?
say652
Palladin

Re: vampires

Unread post by say652 »

Vampire, a mutant megahero. aps:smoke,control:others,heightened sense of smell,superhuman strength,extraordinary:speed,heightened sense of hearing, nightstalking. megapowers: undead, feeds on blood. weakness:wood, cannot be transformed into other types of undead.
i used the mutant continuous mutation powers at level 15 to come close to some of the movie type powers a vampire would have. thoughts?
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

If you have the Villains Unlimited sourcebook (page 175), there's already an 'experimental' power set.

Your version seems to work well too as a Mega-Hero/Villain
The Dragon Has Spoken
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i just like vampires as a menace. i was going to ad SPARKLES in sunlight as a weakness but after attempting to strangle myself with my mouse cable thought better of it.
Snake Eyes
Hero

say652 wrote:i just like vampires as a menace. i was going to ad SPARKLES in sunlight as a weakness but after attempting to strangle myself with my mouse cable thought better of it.

:lol: Real vampires don't sparkle :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i am just worried they might be a little to strong, thats why i added takes half damage from supernatural strength. now i think i will add in a vampire henchman who he feeds his blood to stay strong.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

vampires blood fed bodyguard. supernatural strength,extraordinary speed, nightstalking. weakness-silver and must feed off of the master vampire every three days or all powers are lost. by using this blood gift the dark lord is able to find willing servants to protect him during the day time hours.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There might be something int the PU2 Immortal power cat.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Snake Eyes
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There might be something int the PU2 Immortal power cat.

Good point.....

Yup, page 63 "Undead/Vampire"
The Dragon Has Spoken
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

I was disappointed with that immortal listing, as (unlike every other listing there) it weakened the immortal from base stats. Given the range of power in that category to begin with, I don't see why they were so gimped.

Here's what I put together for my game (Rifter #37 expanded mega-hero table used):
Mega-Symbiote: Magical/supernatural in nature, tiny worms carried in the blood, Animal (High Intelligence), Feeds on blood
Symbiote Abilities: Increased SDC, Increased Speed, Increased Reflexes, See the Invisible
2 Major + 2 Minor having to do with Control/influence: Animal Abilities (Nocturnal), Control (Others), Extraordinary MA, Extraordinary ME
Mega-Traits - using Rifter #37: Undead (+2/-1), Inhuman (-1), Tremendous PS (+1), Vulnerable to Magic (-1)
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Snake Eyes wrote:

Good point.....

This is what I use. You do not have to stick with traditional powers from fiction, but can give vampires any powers you see fit. I have taken to making vampire clans, each with a different power set, but as some of them are conversions from Vampire: The Masquerade RPG they are not really something I am free to post here.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

say652 wrote:i just like vampires as a menace. i was going to ad SPARKLES in sunlight as a weakness but after attempting to strangle myself with my mouse cable thought better of it.

How about "Can't Act," and "Still Dates High School Girls" instead? :twisted:
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Captain Shiva wrote:

How about "Can't Act," and "Still Dates High School Girls" instead? :twisted:

"Still Dates High School Girls" is a power I would love to have. In The immortal (pun intended) words of Matthew Mcconaughy in Dazed and Confused - "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." :ok:

j/k of course, but dayumm they don't make girls the way they used to..
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:

Good point.....

This is what I use. You do not have to stick with traditional powers from fiction, but can give vampires any powers you see fit. I have taken to making vampire clans, each with a different power set, but as some of them are conversions from Vampire: The Masquerade RPG they are not really something I am free to post here.

kinda what i had in mind. i just didn't care for that particular system,also the first place supers vs vampires idea came in to play.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

What I really, really, don't like about vampires is that there is such a variety in myth and lore and yet that all gets ignored save for one, or two, type(s) at most.
Vampire 1:
Imagine a (demon?) familiar that's the size of their thumb, and lives in a bamboo stick a (friendly)sorcerer has. Used to sicken his(their) enemies over time.
Instead of fighting the vampire, the real plot would "how do we save our friend from being corrupted by this demon?"
Vampire 2:
Imbued(by potion) with APS:Light, Bio-Ghost, Sleep Dust
Used (at night, mostly), usually/traditionally by females.
Character is still alive.
Vampire 3:
Undead by not harmed by sunlight. has APS:Light(moonlight) and APS:Ashes. Dracula's Wife type character.
Vampire 4:
Appears to be an attractive (young)Male. Is really a witches familiar spirit. In some legends was actually a demon who would feed off of nearby cattle's blood. Was passed down from mother to daughter.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:

Good point.....

:)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

my idea is suddenly weaker powered supers are showing a drastic increase in power. like psychics hurling cars,and giant size heroes running at 400mph. a rash of disappearances through out the city, and of course a good ole good guy on good guy beatdown. when the cities heroes are at each others throats the master vampire makes himself known.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

actually i am thinking of running this as a skypes game using pregenerated charcters and each session alternating between running the heroes and the vampires team. i am thinking a "mole type" hero would be played by the same person every session. so as it stands one hero and one villian for the players and one lucky person plays a mind controlled hero the whole time. and as the session plays out(when people die) new heroes(player created heroes) appear to assist the side of their choosing.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Some vampire types from Asia are really weird; their heads detach from their bodies and fly around.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well that's the Penanggalan, one of my favorites.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Daniel Stoker wrote:Well that's the Penanggalan, one of my favorites.

Daniel Stoker

I believe it is also known by other names in other cultures from the same region.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

say652 wrote:actually i am thinking of running this as a skypes game using pregenerated charcters and each session alternating between running the heroes and the vampires team. i am thinking a "mole type" hero would be played by the same person every session. so as it stands one hero and one villian for the players and one lucky person plays a mind controlled hero the whole time. and as the session plays out(when people die) new heroes(player created heroes) appear to assist the side of their choosing.

I would insist on playing a good necromancer and his vampire slave/mole.
But don't have the enslaved hero's player know about him and vice versa, so there is intrigue on both sides.
Eventually both will know the other side has an informant, but, due to secrecy SOP, not who.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

What about the vampires in rifter 49 they should work.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i wanted to keep it heroes unlimited style, and be able to be added to existing hero abilities. a hunter/vigilante henchman would be fearsome indeed.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

say652 wrote:i wanted to keep it heroes unlimited style, and be able to be added to existing hero abilities. a hunter/vigilante henchman would be fearsome indeed.

You can use it and still keep the HU feel. Look at the rifter some of the powers are hero abilities as well. Shape changing, psionics, magic. Age point to increase the number of powers. Easy to do and most of the work is done.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:was going to ad SPARKLES in sunlight as a weakness

Captain Shiva wrote:How about "Can't Act," and "Still Dates High School Girls" instead? :twisted:

PapaMambo wrote:"Still Dates High School Girls" is a power I would love to have. In The immortal (pun intended) words of Matthew Mcconaughy in Dazed and Confused - "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." :ok: j/k of course, but dayumm they don't make girls the way they used to..

I am unclear why this would be listed as a weakness. =/ In particular if you were a PPE vampire, dating teenagers is the next best thing to wizards, and less able to cast a globe of daylight in your face.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Tor wrote:
say652 wrote:was going to ad SPARKLES in sunlight as a weakness

Captain Shiva wrote:How about "Can't Act," and "Still Dates High School Girls" instead? :twisted:

PapaMambo wrote:"Still Dates High School Girls" is a power I would love to have. In The immortal (pun intended) words of Matthew Mcconaughy in Dazed and Confused - "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." :ok: j/k of course, but dayumm they don't make girls the way they used to..

I am unclear why this would be listed as a weakness. =/ In particular if you were a PPE vampire, dating teenagers is the next best thing to wizards, and less able to cast a globe of daylight in your face.

I was referring to the fact that certain vampires insist on dating girls approximately 100 years younger than they are,which I find both pathetic and creepy.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Do you also find it creepy and pathetic that The Dreamer (over 2000 years old) and Henry Smith (early 40s) are lovers (Rifts Mercs) or that in Vampire Kingdoms Carlotta (99) and Raoul (25) are lovers and that Meetal (29, 15 when she met him) is falling in love with her idol/mentor Grizzly Carter (390) ?

Or heck, what about all the gods who take mortal lovers all the time like Aphrodite, Freya, Ishtar and Zeus?

In Palladium I'd be more interested in mental attributes (namely IQ/ME), skill set and experience level when determining the appropriateness of such things.

In the case of vampires, considering that the transformation wipes out a lot of their past skills (doubt this happens in Twilight though) I have to wonder what they're the equivalent of mentally anyway. The +2 to IQ is nice for secondaries but it's still a massive skill loss.

I'm also left thinking of Vampire Hunter D (who's pretty ancient, have seen estimates at 5 thousand years) and various love interests who have shown up in his adventures like Doris Lang and Leila Marcus. D is obviously very standoffish and doesn't "date" either of them, but there's clearly 2-sided romantic interaction happening in both circumstances, and yet it doesn't creep me out, nor does it seem pathetic. In both cases, the girls are mature guardians of their families who battle against the supernatural, and are probably more informed capable of resisting coercion than half the older women in their respective communities.

Ryoko Hakubi (along with her creator Washu, in the Tenchi Muyo anime) is over 5000 years old, in love with Tenchi Masaki (15) and I'm not even mad.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Tor wrote:Do you also find it creepy and pathetic that The Dreamer (over 2000 years old) and Henry Smith (early 40s) are lovers (Rifts Mercs) or that in Vampire Kingdoms Carlotta (99) and Raoul (25) are lovers and that Meetal (29, 15 when she met him) is falling in love with her idol/mentor Grizzly Carter (390) ?

Or heck, what about all the gods who take mortal lovers all the time like Aphrodite, Freya, Ishtar and Zeus?

In Palladium I'd be more interested in mental attributes (namely IQ/ME), skill set and experience level when determining the appropriateness of such things.

In the case of vampires, considering that the transformation wipes out a lot of their past skills (doubt this happens in Twilight though) I have to wonder what they're the equivalent of mentally anyway. The +2 to IQ is nice for secondaries but it's still a massive skill loss.

I'm also left thinking of Vampire Hunter D (who's pretty ancient, have seen estimates at 5 thousand years) and various love interests who have shown up in his adventures like Doris Lang and Leila Marcus. D is obviously very standoffish and doesn't "date" either of them, but there's clearly 2-sided romantic interaction happening in both circumstances, and yet it doesn't creep me out, nor does it seem pathetic. In both cases, the girls are mature guardians of their families who battle against the supernatural, and are probably more informed capable of resisting coercion than half the older women in their respective communities.

Ryoko Hakubi (along with her creator Washu, in the Tenchi Muyo anime) is over 5000 years old, in love with Tenchi Masaki (15) and I'm not even mad.

I was picking on Twilight specifically. Most of the other examples you cite are between consenting adults. What bothered me was that Edward Cullen pretended to be a high school kid.And I wonder,how old was Lucy Westenra when Dracula seduced/raped her?
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Captain Shiva wrote:
I was picking on Twilight specifically. Most of the other examples you cite are between consenting adults. What bothered me was that Edward Cullen pretended to be a high school kid.And I wonder,how old was Lucy Westenra when Dracula seduced/raped her?

Lucy was dating three adult males and had accepted a marriage proposal from one near the start of the book. I am pretty sure she was an adult.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:

Lucy was dating three adult males and had accepted a marriage proposal from one near the start of the book. I am pretty sure she was an adult.

Considering the time periods the average vampire tends to start at in novels (like Dracula) and when many are set (again Dracula) it's not like it wasn't the norm for much older guys to date or marry barely teenage girls. Plus as an 'ageless' vampire it starts looking quite ridiculous to 'only date girls your own age' when there likely aren't many if any your age and it starts looking absurd to behave as if 300 years old is any worse than 100 years old or a thousand or just 40.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:

Considering the time periods the average vampire tends to start at in novels (like Dracula) and when many are set (again Dracula) it's not like it wasn't the norm for much older guys to date or marry barely teenage girls. Plus as an 'ageless' vampire it starts looking quite ridiculous to 'only date girls your own age' when there likely aren't many if any your age and it starts looking absurd to behave as if 300 years old is any worse than 100 years old or a thousand or just 40.

Dracula is kind of like Hugh Hefner:most of the women his age are dead. :lol:
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Captain Shiva wrote:was picking on Twilight specifically. Most of the other examples you cite are between consenting adults.
So it's moreso the 'she's under 18' factor than the 'a century separates us' factor? Doris and Leila are both 17 and I still wouldn't hate D for having feelings for 'em, nor Ryoko for liking Tenchi, so meh.

Captain Shiva wrote:What bothered me was that Edward Cullen pretended to be a high school kid.
If you look like a high school kid, what other options are available to you? Admit you're a vampire and let people come hunt you?

Captain Shiva wrote:how old was Lucy Westenra when Dracula seduced/raped her?
Wikipedia says she's 19 though I'm not sure at what point or how much time passed in the novel. Is she that lady who gets mounted by Dracula in wolf-form in some graveyard in that Johnny Depp version?

One thing that tends to get passed over with vampires a lot of the time is that they have this habit of killing people, which really is the greater crime that should be creeping us out more =/

Sir_Spirit wrote:Lucy was dating three adult males and had accepted a marriage proposal from one near the start of the book. I am pretty sure she was an adult.

I dunno, surely in 1893 there was some flexibility in some families, not all would necessarily be protective and prevent her from dating or accepting proposals.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Tor wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:was picking on Twilight specifically. Most of the other examples you cite are between consenting adults.
So it's moreso the 'she's under 18' factor than the 'a century separates us' factor? Doris and Leila are both 17 and I still wouldn't hate D for having feelings for 'em, nor Ryoko for liking Tenchi, so meh.

Captain Shiva wrote:What bothered me was that Edward Cullen pretended to be a high school kid.
If you look like a high school kid, what other options are available to you? Admit you're a vampire and let people come hunt you?
He could pretend to be in his early 20s, like the actor playing him actually was.If he actually was 22 or so, it would be still inappropriate to date high school girls.
Captain Shiva wrote:how old was Lucy Westenra when Dracula seduced/raped her?
Wikipedia says she's 19 though I'm not sure at what point or how much time passed in the novel. Is she that lady who gets mounted by Dracula in wolf-form in some graveyard in that Johnny Depp version?
I am not sure which Wikipedia page you are citing, but I suggest you consult IMDB for information regarding characters/casting for Dracula movies, since to the best of my knowledge, Johnny Depp has never appeared in one. Please correct me if I am found to be wrong.
One thing that tends to get passed over with vampires a lot of the time is that they have this habit of killing people, which really is the greater crime that should be creeping us out more =/
Yes, you raise a valid point. But not all vampires behave like that.I can cite several examples. But Vlad Tepes was a monster in real life, and his fictional counterpart mind controlled a young woman(likely a minor by the laws of her society,) turned her into a monster like himself,who killed innocent children, and finally had to be laid to rest.
Sir_Spirit wrote:Lucy was dating three adult males and had accepted a marriage proposal from one near the start of the book. I am pretty sure she was an adult.

I dunno, surely in 1893 there was some flexibility in some families, not all would necessarily be protective and prevent her from dating or accepting proposals.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Doing my best to sort out what is from Shiva here...
He could pretend to be in his early 20s, like the actor playing him actually was.
That could apply to movie-version Ed but not necessarily book-version Ed.
If he actually was 22 or so, it would be still inappropriate to date high school girls.
He's from an era where it was appropriate, what if he disagrees with the changing times?
I am not sure which Wikipedia page you are citing, but I suggest you consult IMDB for information regarding characters/casting for Dracula movies, since to the best of my knowledge, Johnny Depp has never appeared in one.
Ah, I was thinking of Keanu Reeves in 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula, apologies. I must have mixed that up with my memory of Edward Scissorhands. These unaging hotties all look alike to me.
his fictional counterpart mind controlled a young woman (likely a minor by the laws of her society) turned her into a monster like himself who killed innocent children, and finally had to be laid to rest.
I'm unclear on how much mind control was involved, and I'm not sure 19 would be considered a minor in the late 1800s. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of who Lucy ended up killing. She didn't really 'have' to be put to rest though. Helsing made a choice to murder these beings.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Tor wrote:Doing my best to sort out what is from Shiva here...
He could pretend to be in his early 20s, like the actor playing him actually was.
That could apply to movie-version Ed but not necessarily book-version Ed.
If he actually was 22 or so, it would be still inappropriate to date high school girls.
He's from an era where it was appropriate, what if he disagrees with the changing times?
I am not sure which Wikipedia page you are citing, but I suggest you consult IMDB for information regarding characters/casting for Dracula movies, since to the best of my knowledge, Johnny Depp has never appeared in one.
Ah, I was thinking of Keanu Reeves in 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula, apologies. I must have mixed that up with my memory of Edward Scissorhands. These unaging hotties all look alike to me.
his fictional counterpart mind controlled a young woman (likely a minor by the laws of her society) turned her into a monster like himself who killed innocent children, and finally had to be laid to rest.
I'm unclear on how much mind control was involved, and I'm not sure 19 would be considered a minor in the late 1800s. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of who Lucy ended up killing. She didn't really 'have' to be put to rest though. Helsing made a choice to murder these beings.

Dracula traditionally uses mind control(or hypnotic powers, or the Evil Eye,whichever term you prefer) to "seduce" his victims. Lucy's age is still a matter of some debate, I concede.After being turned by Dracula,she is preying on children.Van Helsing killed her for that reason.Dracula was an undead monster who murdered everyone on board the Demeter,Renfield, and who knows how many people over the centuries.I am not sure if the word murder would apply when killing vampires.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I think it applies since vampires are living sentients, even if undead are a very different (and predatorial) form of life.

I geuss I'm not clear if Dracula was ALWAYS using EE/hypno/mind control. He probably also had a high MA and PB so he could trust/charm/impress, probably had the seduction skill, etc.

It's likely he preferred to use such mundane means as it was more of a challenge and only resorted to the big powers when pressed.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”