In Aménas hostage crisis

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grey Death
Adventurer

In Aménas hostage crisis

Unread post by Grey Death »

Looking for any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions. I have this idea for a Recon scenario. Where an oil company brings in the characters (obviously, the players are mercs) to free hostages at an oil/gas facility. Having made a deal with the Algerian government that they can try first before government forces come in. Trying to avoid a blood bath, that the last situation resulted in. The companies RoE are hostages must be taken safely, minimal damage to facility. Fate of terrorists not important. Meaning dead, alive, whatever. As long as the RoE are followed they are not important. I plan on using google maps for exteriors, and some hand drawn stuff for interiors. Set it up for the players and cut them loose on the situation. Terrorists for the most part will be noobs (AK-47 35%, or RPG 35% ST 40), and a couple vets (40-50%, and ST 40-65).

1. Method of Insertion: Players choice. Ground by truck/jeep, helicopter, or parachute (Standard, HALO, or LALO).
2. Fire Support Availability: Non-combat only. Due to the possibility of damage to the facility, or the hostages, no support of any kind of combat support will be given. Reconnaissance drone support will be freely available though.
3. Enemy Movement Information Be prepared to meet heavy resistance. Booby traps and mines are to be expected.
4. Terrain and Weather Report: In Aménas is a hot subtropical desert climate. Areas of dunes, contrasted with areas of rocky hard pack. Shifting sands, gullies, and depressions make up the approaches to the facility. The facility itself is a massive jungle of piping, and processing units/towers. Along with the scattered control and processing buildings.
5. Mission Objectives: Rescue hostages, secure facility.
6. Special Rules: Hostages are not to be harmed, nor the facility.
7. Method of Extraction: Again up to the players. Truck/jeep, or helicopter.

So what does everyone think? Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? I would love some input. Especially if I'm missing something.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Re: In Aménas hostage crisis

Unread post by Grey Death »

I guess this section of the forum is truly dead. Too bad.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well events are a little fresh and I think most Recon-ers still are probably playing it to the original time period or using the mock nations set up.

Anyway, as a mission it's fine. Challenging but sensible restrictions and no dirty tricks being pulled. I might have set it in one of the fictional countries in the Recon book instead of made it a real place though.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I sort of like using real locations for Recon...It gives it more of gritty, plausible feel, especially since so many other games are implausible, having a gritty "realistic" game is a nice change of pace.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”