In the jungle, the hobo jungle..

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

In the jungle, the hobo jungle..

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

In the jungle, the Hobo jungle. Two new PC's come to light!
In the jungle, the Hobo jungle. Mutant tiger eyes are shining bright!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Gm's and Gamers, Please allow me to introduce my newest Pc.." " The mutant tiger. Protector of the Hobo jungle.

(A TMNT&OS PC)

I honestly haven't thought of a name for him yet. I'm thinking Darkclaw, but who names a hobo tiger mutant Darkclaw?

FEEL FREE TO SUBMIT NAME SUGGESTIONS.

The IRL story. After last nights gaming the session the GM and I were sitting around discussing how much fun we were having with the 100% random 98% RAW characters (surprisingly both 100% legit rolled Ninja's) we were playing (as compared to the ones where we fudged the rules quite a bit). I mentioned that I'd been brainstorming an idea on how to allow him some play time with me as GM by resurrecting a PC of his that had unfairly died. I told him that all I'd come up with was the name, "Welcome to the Jungle" and the starting setting "you wake up in a hobo jungle deep in a massive garbage dump." This switched the conversation back to our 2 ninja who were now homeless and camped out in an abandoned underground utility service tunnel/chamber. We joked about avoiding tourists who want to see the sites of abandoned NYC and running into other homeless folks. Somehow we came up with the idea to again 100% random roll 99% RAW (1's and 2's for attributes are rerolled), 2 new PC's to introduce into our Ninja PC campaign.

I kid you not faithful readers, while we rolled different mutation causes (me accidental encounter/him random mutation), we both rolled the EXACT same education. By skulking around the fringes of society the character picks up a rudimentary education. The character probably has a small number of human friends but distrusts people in general. yadda yadda. I almost died laughing. Here we had been talking about hobo's and people living outside of normal society and the Dice Gods drop 2 of them into our laps.

So without further ado. The (as of yet) nameless tiger hobo

Character Name: (seriously I don't know yet. gotta figure it out by 10pm EST)

“If the city won't protect and care for the lost and forgotten, then I will. The same way they looked after me when no one else would.”

Flavor Text: Name two things that shouldn't ever be mixed together, a genius level intellect with an interest in genetic experimentation and a severe case of ADD. Our absent minded geneticist surely has a name, but it's not important. What is important is the way he would completely forget about one experiment once he became fixated on another. Having successfully grown a Maltese Tiger cub in an incubator, for no other reason than to see if the coloration was a pigment mutation or if it belonged to a separate species. The cub was soon forgotten and neglected. It should also be noted that along with forgetting to feed and care for the cub, the scientist also forgot to properly secure the pen it was kept in. After several days without food, the little tiger cub managed to nose his way out of the pen one night and into the lab. Like most young animals will do when faced with extreme hunger, the cub tried to eat whatever it could get into its mouth. Unfortunately the first thing it came across was an uncovered petri dish growing a culture of random human dna mixed with a particularly robust strain of retro-virus. This, like so many other projects, was something the scientist had done just to see if he could and then neglected to handle properly.

__________ never knew the name of the scientist who bred him, or why. He doesn't even really know how he came to be the way he is. His earliest memories are of being neglected and very very hungry. With the hunger he remembers a fire that started deep in his belly that no matter how fast he ran he couldn't escape. It burned through him with a pain far worse than being hungry had ever been. He doesn't remember the lab or how he escaped. He doesn't remember passing out. But he does remember waking up wrapped in a ragged, dirty blanket while being rocked gently by someone who spoke softly to him and fed him for the first time in a long while.

Cared for and raised, not by one family, but by the entire homeless community in his area _________ has learned the skills needed to survive a life on the streets. He's also learned that apart from his extended adoptive family, most of the city rejects and shuns him for being one of the many homeless. Their reaction to him being a mutant and a tiger hasn't been any better. Regardless, the down and out look out for him and he'll do whatever he can to do the same for them. _________ has an interesting relationship with those in his "community". He provides them with protection from harassment and finds "conveniently" unlocked buildings when the weather is bad and "extra" resources when there is less than enough to get by. In return the humans and other mutants share what they have with him in genuine appreciation. This isn't a protection racket or anything of the sort. Everyone helps out in whatever way they can, so that everyone has enough to make it a little bit longer.

Aliases: (no idea yet)
Experience Level: 1
Power Category: Mutant Animal
Alignment: Undecided as of yet. May be Anarchist or Miscreant (Sometimes you've got to do bad things just to stay warm and fed.)
Attributes: IQ. 12 ME. 21 MA. 14 PS. 20 PP. 21 PE. 16 PB. 10 Spd. 27
Hit Points: 21, S.D.C.: 48

Appearance: large, wide head with massive jaws, broad nose, wide set eyes and ears on top, thick slate grey fur with dark grey/black stripes, long, lean body, long furred tail, powerful arms and legs.

Animal Type: Maltese Tiger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_tiger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maltese_Tiger.jpg
Total Bio-E: 5
Hands: Full
Speech: Partial (If you can imagine if someone trying to talk and snore at the same time Google tiger sounds, they make a snorey/growling sound).
Bipedal: Full
Looks: None
Animal Powers: 2D6 Retractable Claws

Education Level: Self taught
Skill Programs: N/A
Skills: Athletics, Body Building, Climbing, Prowl, Running, Swimming, Land Navigation, Pick locks, Pick pockets, First aid, Fishing, Sewing.
W.P. Skills: Blunt, Chain

Combat Style: Hand to Hand Basic
Combat Abilities: 2 APM, +3 Roll with Punch/Fall, +1 Strike with body block/tackle 1D4 damage
Combat Bonuses: +3 Strike, +4 Parry, +8 Dodge
Other Bonuses: +5% Save vs Coma/Death. +1 Save vs poison/toxins

Money: $2,400
Weapons: none yet
Items: none yet
Equipment: none yet

I appreciate and look forward to your thoughts/feedback.

On a side note. Does anyone else think the TMNT tiger gets robbed? 15 bio-e for 2D6 claws when a house cat spends 10 bio-e for 2D6 climbing claws! Sorry, but tiger claws completely own ***** cat claws. Also, if I have to pay extra for them I should get an extra D6 of damage out of it. Also, to avoid being a super midget, you've either got to give up human features or animal powers. Otherwise you can buy your full hands/biped/speech/claws/teeth but you wind up like size level 5. No one is going to be threatened by a 3ft tiger. Even at 5'6" I think he's kind of shrimpy as far as my conception of a mutant tiger goes.

Feel free to add your thoughts about that as well.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Re: In the jungle, the hobo jungle..

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Tigerbum (pun-TASTIC!)
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

DevastationBob wrote:Tigerbum (pun-TASTIC!)

Bob! Thanks for the reply. I was afraid my post was going to fade into obscurity. If you want to edit your original comment and add a "FIRST!" I won't be madatcha.

However, I do ask that you submit a name suggestion. Unless "Tigerbum" was your suggestion. If so, then shame on you sir.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

Leo
Vincent

Or from mythology:
Aker
Apedemak
Hebi
Mahes
Mau
Miuty
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stattick wrote:Leo
Vincent

Or from mythology:
Aker
Apedemak
Hebi
Mahes
Mau
Miuty

I'm not familiar with those mythological references Stattick. What/where do they come from?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Stattick wrote:Leo
Vincent

Or from mythology:
Aker
Apedemak
Hebi
Mahes
Mau
Miuty

I'm not familiar with those mythological references Stattick. What/where do they come from?

Mostly Egyptian: http://www.ladyoftheflame.co.uk/Deities.htm
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Macho Tigre.

Also, Mephisto posted a Hand to Hand: Feline fighting style you might consider for your tiger rather than just having him have basic. I don't have a link to the original thread, but I know Stone Gargoyle put it in the Black Vault Wiki... Ah, here it is:

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... nd:_Feline
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

:bandit: Antonio Bengali, but his friends call him Tony the Tiger. :clown:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Gryphon Chick wrote:Macho Tigre.

Also, Mephisto posted a Hand to Hand: Feline fighting style you might consider for your tiger rather than just having him have basic. I don't have a link to the original thread, but I know Stone Gargoyle put it in the Black Vault Wiki... Ah, here it is:

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... nd:_Feline

I had thought about that. We're trying to keep this batch of PC's (Hobo Tiger and Hobo Turtle) as close to book legal RAW as possible. Which so far means using only things found in my 8th printing of TMNT& OS. So far we've had the most fun with RAW/random pc's versus ones that we fudged on and "designed". I'll ask the GM about it and see what he thinks. So far the only bits of rule bending have been on leaping distance viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31364#p2633013 , and rerolling 1's & 2's for attributes. Other than that they're book legal hobo's.

That being said, he's just as excited about the new hobo skills and urban/rural hobo education table(occ?) as I am. I don't think giving them special hobo skills will unbalance the game, it'll just make it easier to survive non combat situations and give us a chance to earn some XP (using a skill, successful or not 25pts)

Macho Tigre? Sounds like one of those flamboyant, flying, Luchidor wrestlers. lol

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote::bandit: Antonio Bengali, but his friends call him Tony the Tiger. :clown:

Antonio Bengali doesn't sound to bad.

Tony the Tiger. :thwak: :frust: :nh: You're better than that lol.

Let's try again.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Stone Gargoyle wrote::bandit: Antonio Bengali, but his friends call him Tony the Tiger. :clown:

Antonio Bengali doesn't sound to bad.

Tony the Tiger. :thwak: :frust: :nh: You're better than that lol.

Let's try again.
Tigaro Bengali, then, if you don't want people calling him Tony. People do have a sense of the perverse and humorous, though.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Tigaro Bengali, then, if you don't want people calling him Tony. People do have a sense of the perverse and humorous, though.

Yes, people are perverse and humorous. Don't want to give them any more pun fodder than I have to. No neckerchief, no competitive sports, avoid saying the word great.

Next thing I know I'd be up to my tail in assassin's hired by Kellog's trying to take me out for copyright infringement or some other nonsense. Or perhaps the city of Detroit and the MLB commission would put a contract out on me for making their team look bad (he is a thieving hobo tiger mutant after all) or refusing to be their official mascot (which would require a full body fur dye). Worse yet, being chased by an angry mob of Asians who think there is some mystic power in my blood, or that grinding my tigermanhood into a soup will make them more virile.

http://www.tigersincrisis.com/traditional_medicine.htm

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Tigaro Bengali, then, if you don't want people calling him Tony. People do have a sense of the perverse and humorous, though.

Yes, people are perverse and humorous. Don't want to give them any more pun fodder than I have to. No neckerchief, no competitive sports, avoid saying the word great.

Next thing I know I'd be up to my tail in assassin's hired by Kellog's trying to take me out for copyright infringement or some other nonsense. Or perhaps the city of Detroit and the MLB commission would put a contract out on me for making their team look bad (he is a thieving hobo tiger mutant after all) or refusing to be their official mascot (which would require a full body fur dye). Worse yet, being chased by an angry mob of Asians who think there is some mystic power in my blood, or that grinding my tigermanhood into a soup will make them more virile.

http://www.tigersincrisis.com/traditional_medicine.htm
ROFLMAO!
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Macho Tigre? Sounds like one of those flamboyant, flying, Luchidor wrestlers. lol
That was what inspired the name, actually. Okay, then, how about Tommy Tigre? People could call him Tomcat Tigre, or Tommy the Cat. After all, if he's homeless he's going to have to have a street name.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Gryphon Chick wrote:That was what inspired the name, actually. Okay, then, how about Tommy Tigre? People could call him Tomcat Tigre, or Tommy the Cat. After all, if he's homeless he's going to have to have a street name.

After tonight's 1st time running the tiger hobo he almost (3 HP plus 17 PE) went from not having much of a name to being referred to by the # on a toe tag in the hospital morgue. When the goons are escaped maximum security prisoners with AK-47's don't think you can take them out with only a poly-carbonate baseball bat and a length of chain. Let that be a lesson to you all. Don't take a stick to a machine gun fight.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Sounds like his name is "Mud".
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Almost Bob, almost. You might not believe it, but I was able to successfully parry the machine gun with my baseball bat. That kept me from being shot more than I was.

Before anyone goes all, "you can't do that! The book says you can't parry gun fire only dodge it!", I'll explain how it worked.

First off I had snuck up behind the guy and tried to disarm him by whacking his gun with my bat, so I was already within arms+bat length distance. The disarm didn't work obviously. If it had my PC might not have wound up in the hospital full of holes.
The GM decides to shoot me and rolls to strike, rolling well above my AR. Having used all my APM trying to beat up/disarm the goon all I can do is A. take the hit or B attempt (as ridiculous as it sounds) to parry. I decided what the heck, I'll try to parry. I roll...Nat 20!
So how do the mechanics of parrying a machine gun with a baseball bat work?
I didn't parry the bullets with my bat as that would be impossible. I was in close enough that I could push the gun barrel away from me most of the time when he tried to shoot.

like this actually
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 218AASy7JY

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Almost Bob, almost. You might not believe it, but I was able to successfully parry the machine gun with my baseball bat. That kept me from being shot more than I was.

Before anyone goes all, "you can't do that! The book says you can't parry gun fire only dodge it!", let me explain.

First off I had snuck up behind the guy and tried to disarm him by whacking his gun with my bat, so I was already within arms+bat length distance. The disarm didn't work obviously. If it had my PC might not have wound up in the hospital full of holes.
The GM decides to shoot me and rolls to strike, rolling well above my AR. Having used all my APM trying to beat up/disarm the goon all I can do is A. take the hit or B attempt (as ridiculous as it sounds) to parry. I decided what the heck, I'll try to parry. I roll...Nat 20!
I didn't parry the bullets with my bat as that would be impossible. I was in close enough that I could push the gun barrel away from me most of the time when he tried to shoot.

like this actually
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 218AASy7JY

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Then his name is "Lucky". :)
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Gryphon Chick wrote:That was what inspired the name, actually. Okay, then, how about Tommy Tigre? People could call him Tomcat Tigre, or Tommy the Cat. After all, if he's homeless he's going to have to have a street name.

After tonight's 1st time running the tiger hobo he almost (3 HP plus 17 PE) went from not having much of a name to being referred to by the # on a toe tag in the hospital morgue. When the goons are escaped maximum security prisoners with AK-47's don't think you can take them out with only a poly-carbonate baseball bat and a length of chain. Let that be a lesson to you all. Don't take a stick to a machine gun fight.
Did you finally settle on a name for him, though?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Gryphon Chick wrote:

Did you finally settle on a name for him, though?

Not 100%. Been calling him Joe/Smokey Joe until I find or hear something really special

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Not 100%. Been calling him Joe/Smokey Joe until I find or hear something really special
Smokey Joe makes me think of a bear, not a tiger. Most of the hobos you find named Joe are of the stinky/unwashed or alcoholic varieties. I fail to see how that name is preferable until you find something more "special".
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Smokey Joe was the name of a house cat I had when I was a kid (right around the time I started playing TMNT actually). He was a smoke gray color, hence the name. Even though the description of the Maltese Tiger calls it a Slate Gray or "blue" I kind of imagined them being the same smokey color.

I can't say that it's preferable SG but at the moment it's what I've got to work with. I'm trying to come up with, find, be suggested something Hobo-esque ( http://e-hobo.com/hoboes/list/ ) but without making him sound like a Cereal Mascot or a Latino/Italian street thug (no i'm not racist, I just don't want that type of name). If I could pick out a pattern most of the hobo names are a random # of adjectives, a common name, maybe a last name, and maybe another adjective. Or a variant there of. Dusty bottom dan. More Bacon Jimmy. Paul Frits, the cross tie shuffler. Never welcome Brad smith. Smoke moocher Bill, the wife stealer.

Not easy to come up with a theme name.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Please don't think I'm ungrateful.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

How about VaGRRRRRRRRant?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Smokey Joe was the name of a house cat I had when I was a kid (right around the time I started playing TMNT actually). He was a smoke gray color, hence the name. Even though the description of the Maltese Tiger calls it a Slate Gray or "blue" I kind of imagined them being the same smokey color.

I can't say that it's preferable SG but at the moment it's what I've got to work with. I'm trying to come up with, find, be suggested something Hobo-esque ( http://e-hobo.com/hoboes/list/ ) but without making him sound like a Cereal Mascot or a Latino/Italian street thug (no i'm not racist, I just don't want that type of name). If I could pick out a pattern most of the hobo names are a random # of adjectives, a common name, maybe a last name, and maybe another adjective. Or a variant there of. Dusty bottom dan. More Bacon Jimmy. Paul Frits, the cross tie shuffler. Never welcome Brad smith. Smoke moocher Bill, the wife stealer.

Not easy to come up with a theme name.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Please don't think I'm ungrateful.

So you are looking for a "Soda Pop Larry" or "Sandwich Mike". The problem with that is that he is a mutant tiger and any street name he will have will reflect that the first thing anyone will call him will be related to the fact he is a tiger. "Claws Calhoun" might be appropriate, then, or "Striped Steve".
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Whiskers McGee
Tiger Boy Tom
Jungle Joe
Maltese Fallon
Big Cat McCoy
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle and Gryphon Chick! That's the spirit!

SG you've got a point, and honestly that's the trouble I was having with a name and the ones suggested. I didn't want to go for something as blatant as Tiger Steve, which is why I was working with Smokey (his coloration) and Gargle (seriously, I bet if Clint Eastwood would clear his throat good his voice would change dramatically).

But yeah, that's kind of the thing I'm looking for.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

how about Roy Siegfried? as in after the famous entertainers, who's act includes exotic big cats. it's still a injoke/callout, but it is less corny, and the people they are protecting could drop the name into conversation without immediately drawing attention to the fact it's a tiger. its also the kind of connection even a hobo might think of when naming something.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:how about Roy Siegfried? as in after the famous entertainers, who's act includes exotic big cats. it's still a injoke/callout, but it is less corny, and the people they are protecting could drop the name into conversation without immediately drawing attention to the fact it's a tiger. its also the kind of connection even a hobo might think of when naming something.

Only if i get my own crew of "lovely assistants" and am allowed to gnaw on the skulls of froo froo german stage performers.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Stone Gargoyle and Gryphon Chick! That's the spirit!

SG you've got a point, and honestly that's the trouble I was having with a name and the ones suggested. I didn't want to go for something as blatant as Tiger Steve, which is why I was working with Smokey (his coloration) and Gargle (seriously, I bet if Clint Eastwood would clear his throat good his voice would change dramatically).

But yeah, that's kind of the thing I'm looking for.

Smokey Joe Tiger isn't actually that bad.
Gargling Growler?
Big Cat Bob
Jungle Jimmy :P
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Maybe if you gave us more info, what his mutation features are, etc. If he's pretty well spoken, then the homeless he protects know he's not a monster or something and might give him a human sounding name "Joe", but the street gangs/psychos that prey upon the homeless probably call him something else, "The Alley Tiger" or whatnot.

Edit. Crud, you did, first post even. Ok, he's got partial speech, so his homeless friends probably understand him ok, but that adds to others finding him monstrous. "It jumped Eddie, it was growling, but they sounded like words..."

Incidentally, do you have Mutant Underground for Heroes Unlimited? It seems like your character would be a perfect fit.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

DevastationBob wrote:Maybe if you gave us more info, what his mutation features are, etc. If he's pretty well spoken, then the homeless he protects know he's not a monster or something and might give him a human sounding name "Joe", but the street gangs/psychos that prey upon the homeless probably call him something else, "The Alley Tiger" or whatnot.

Edit. Crud, you did, first post even. Ok, he's got partial speech, so his homeless friends probably understand him ok, but that adds to others finding him monstrous. "It jumped Eddie, it was growling, but they sounded like words..."

Incidentally, do you have Mutant Underground for Heroes Unlimited? It seems like your character would be a perfect fit.

I do, but I've not spent a lot of time looking over it. I might have to check it out again if you think it'd be a good fit.

Outstanding features (other than being a frikkin' tiger lol) are his unique coloration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maltese_Tiger.jpg
and partial speech.
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Determined that my mutant tiger hobo with partial speech sounds like Clint Eastwood with a throat full of phlegm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnEeNglN5g
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2CszHD1fU

Which is how I came up with Smokey and Gargle.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”