We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:WP Flair Gun: lets you shoot a flair gun of any type with an accuracy close to that of a firearm. Negating the intrensick -3 strike most flair guns have. +2 Aimed. Limited avalibility to Rednecks.
This WP also includes fireworks that shoot out flairs like roman candles>
You misspelled "flare" and "intrinsic" and "availability". You might want to edit those.

Maybe it's a gun for the Nature Boy.
ROFLMAO!

I seem to recall seeing a WP Flare Gun before. Isn't there one in Dead Reign or am I mistaken?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Bloodletting: May be taken as a Medical Skill or WP. The character is proficient in the use of leeches and other methods to draw blood, and is familiar with all the major blood passages, veins and major arteries. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience. Adds +5% to Medical Doctor, Paramedic and First Aid Skills.
Additional Bonuses:
+2 to strike using a bladed weapon
+4 to pull punch (of a sword strike or other bladed weapon only)
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

i see a lot of these skills, and I think how specific they are. Heck with more skills being introduced that cover basic behavior, it makes it tougher to get anything BUT the basics. I've seen a skill for shaving/grooming, and I've seen one for being a teamster. So what that does is imply without the skill you're without those traits. I think we need less skills, not more. Do we really need Helicopter mechanics and aircraft mechanics to be separate?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Bloodletting: May be taken as a Medical Skill or WP. The character is proficient in the use of leeches and other methods to draw blood, and is familiar with all the major blood passages, veins and major arteries. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience. Adds +5% to Medical Doctor, Paramedic and First Aid Skills.
Additional Bonuses:

This makes little to no sense, I am afraid. I don't see any reason for a high bonus to strike, (higher than almost all weapon proficiencies at lvl 1) +4 to pull punch makes little sense too. The situation you'd use bloodletting for, has little to do with combat itself. Not to mention Paramedic isn't generally seen in Fantasy, where this skill comes from. I do like the idea of a bonus to medical doctor and first aid. maybe even a small bonus to wilderness survival regarding leechbound areas, like marshes?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

zerombr wrote:i see a lot of these skills, and I think how specific they are. Heck with more skills being introduced that cover basic behavior, it makes it tougher to get anything BUT the basics. I've seen a skill for shaving/grooming, and I've seen one for being a teamster. So what that does is imply without the skill you're without those traits. I think we need less skills, not more. Do we really need Helicopter mechanics and aircraft mechanics to be separate?
?Helicopter and Airfcraft engineering are very different. The principles of how the various mechanics work to make the craft fly although similar in some areas are quite different.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

zerombr wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Bloodletting: May be taken as a Medical Skill or WP. The character is proficient in the use of leeches and other methods to draw blood, and is familiar with all the major blood passages, veins and major arteries. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience. Adds +5% to Medical Doctor, Paramedic and First Aid Skills.
Additional Bonuses:

This makes little to no sense, I am afraid. I don't see any reason for a high bonus to strike, (higher than almost all weapon proficiencies at lvl 1) +4 to pull punch makes little sense too. The situation you'd use bloodletting for, has little to do with combat itself. Not to mention Paramedic isn't generally seen in Fantasy, where this skill comes from. I do like the idea of a bonus to medical doctor and first aid. maybe even a small bonus to wilderness survival regarding leechbound areas, like marshes?
I can see the reason for the bonus to strike, which is not that much, it's only +2 and it doesn't go up per level like a WP does. Say you are trying to do a called shot to hit a major artery or to not hit it. Pull punch can be used with bladed weapons to limit damage, a must if you are trying to draw blood using a large weapon without hurting someone.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

zerombr wrote:i see a lot of these skills, and I think how specific they are. Heck with more skills being introduced that cover basic behavior, it makes it tougher to get anything BUT the basics. I've seen a skill for shaving/grooming, and I've seen one for being a teamster. So what that does is imply without the skill you're without those traits. I think we need less skills, not more. Do we really need Helicopter mechanics and aircraft mechanics to be separate?
The point of this thread is not to debate whether you need the skills, but rather to share skills you might have written up. If you don't like a skill, don't use it. Simple as that.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Gryphon Chick wrote:
zerombr wrote:
Additional Bonuses:

I can see the reason for the bonus to strike, which is not that much, it's only +2 and it doesn't go up per level like a WP does. Say you are trying to do a called shot to hit a major artery or to not hit it. Pull punch can be used with bladed weapons to limit damage, a must if you are trying to draw blood using a large weapon without hurting someone.
What she said. +2 is nothing for a bonus to strike and was added primarily to offset difficulty of a called shot.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

Didn't go through the whole thread, so there may already be something like this:

Technical Skill

Mental Celerity: This is a skill and training program designed to impart quickness of deduction and analysis for it's students and adherents. With this skill, students can compute basic mathematical operations faster than can be done with a calculator. This doesn't include complicated advanced math, such as advanced geometry, advanced algebra, calculus, and so forth, although the student can still work out solutions to these problems somewhat faster than someone else. This also includes the study of logic, deduction, and noticing details and minutia. +1 action/round with psionics, magic, or skills. +5% to speed reading skill, or grants speed reading at 30% (does not increase per level). +2 perception. +2 sv Horror. +2 initiative. +1 IQ.

There... an equivalent for the Boxing skill for mental types. :P
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A varient on the gymnastices skill (program)

Women's Gymnastics (+2 roll, + 2 ps, + 1 pp, +8 sdc)
--Sense of Balance--50+5/L
--Uneven Parallel Bars and balance beam--60+3/L
--climb rope--60+2/L
--floor exercises (tumbling & back flip)--70+2/L
--climbing--25% or +5%
--prowl--30% or +5%
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Are we allowed to post skill requests here?

In the ATB forum I posted how 2 new PC's in my TMNT game were Hobo's/Homeless/Vagabond/Vagrant (pick your own nomenclature). After reviewing the skill selection I noticed a distinct lack of associated skills. Other than Begging in N&SS I'm kind of at a loss.

Anyone got any Hobo (my choice of name for all homeless street dwelling type peoples) related skill ideas? Things like, Scavenge, Salvage, Re-purpose (using an item for something other than it was originally intended), Dumpster Dive?

Really appreciate your help and creative input.

TOSA Nate.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Horror Desensitization(Espionage/Technical)
This skill training aims to make the recipient less prone to frighten and startle when comfronted by the horrifying. Training consists of (over)exposure to graphic imagery(random violence, kittens on fire) and repulsive situations(wallowing in maggots, sleeping with live scorpions, some training programs may include exposure, under closely controlled conditions, to minor supernatural creatues and alien beings), making the trainee less prone to scaring easily. The downside is that the person may lose empathy and become hardened to percieving others' suffering.
+1d4 M.E.
+1 to save versus Horror Factor, +1 every 4 levels of experience.
+2 save versus insanity
+1 save versus possession
Even on an unsuccessful save versus Horror Factor, the trainee only suffers HALF penalties(effect, duration) for being frightened.
-1d4 to M.A.

Nice, but shouldn't this read +1 at level 1, 4, 8 and 12? I am a stickler for clarity.

Corrected, but I was bearing in mind that not all OCCs acquire skills at the same levels, so if you took this skill at a later level of your own, the 'every four levels' applies. ;)

I think the correction still works, since I would imagine you would list this particular skill's level separately from the character's level (i.e. as with a W.P. skill taken later in life).
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Are we allowed to post skill requests here?

In the ATB forum I posted how 2 new PC's in my TMNT game were Hobo's/Homeless/Vagabond/Vagrant (pick your own nomenclature). After reviewing the skill selection I noticed a distinct lack of associated skills. Other than Begging in N&SS I'm kind of at a loss.

Anyone got any Hobo (my choice of name for all homeless street dwelling type peoples) related skill ideas? Things like, Scavenge, Salvage, Re-purpose (using an item for something other than it was originally intended), Dumpster Dive?

TOSA Nate.
There might be something like that in Dead Reign, as they have skills for making do with remnants of stuff. I will try my hand at this, however.

Scavenging (Rogue/Urban Survival Skill): The character knows the best places to find used and unwanted parts and salvage, and is able to re-purpose tools. This skill covers all manner of dumpster diving, sifting through garbage, looking through parts lots and salvage yards. Base Skill: 24%, +4% per level of experience, +5% if begging or streetwise is also taken. Adds +5% to basic mechanics and sewing skills.
Stattick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Are we allowed to post skill requests here?

TOSA Nate.

Of these canon skills, I would think that a hobo might have skills like these:

streetwise (rue)
general repair/maintenance (rue)
jury rig (rue)
recycling (rue)
salvage (rue)
eyeball a fella (from the Rifts Vagabond) (rue)
barter (rue)
performance, play musical instrument, singing, or public speaking (put your hat out and play that guitar/sing/recite poetry) (rue)
cooking (rue)
fishing (rue)
sewing (rue)
urban survival ???
land navigation (rue)
pick locks (rue)
pick pockets (rue)
basic mechanics (rue)
first aid (rue)
climbing (rue)
hand to hand (basic or expert) (rue)
boxing or wrestling (maybe - those are the two least expensive martial sports to learn - walk into the right gym or YMCA, plus fighting in illegal, bareknuckle matches) (rue)
pool ???
darts ???
running (rue)
outdoorsmanship (rue)
physical labor (rue)
prowl (rue)
identify plants and fruits (rue)
wilderness survival (rue)

And I'd just invent something like these:
Rogue
Stow away
- the character has a good knowledge of train lines, bus lines, ship lines, and other similar transportation systems (such as the routes that truckers use). The character is proficient at sneaking aboard such vehicles, and evading detection. This includes the knowledge of how to jump aboard a train in motion, how to safely jump off a train in motion, and so forth. The character knows where the most likely places are where the vehicles are to be inspected, and will usually leave before such places, and then catch another ride just past the inspection point. 25%+5

Rogue
Scavenge
- the character knows where and how to claim abandoned property. The character doesn't know how to repair it per se, but with the appropriate skills, may be able to sell it, trade it for something, turn it in to a recycling center, repair it and use it or sell it, and so forth. Utilizing this skill often requires trespassing, climbing, prowling, picking locks, burglary, general repair/maintenance or jury rigging (to repair it enough to sell it), and so forth. 25%+5

Technical
Trash Picking
- this is the skill of picking through garbage to find useful items. These can be items that can be recycled (bottles/cans), can be repaired (appliances, electronics, broken watches, etc), have intrinsic value (a dull knife that just needs sharpening), or are edible (wilted or over ripened fruit, fast food items that have been thrown in the dumpster after their holding time expired). This skill also includes the knowledge of where one is most likely to find the item(s) one is looking for. For instance, if one is looking for copper, sneaking into the local landfill is more likely to be profitable than looking through residential trash. Industrial sites or construction projects are most likely to produce scrap wood, nails, screws, and so forth. 30%+5
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Science Skills

Cryptobotany. The flora side of the coin to Cyptozoology's fauna. This is the science of piecing together physical, circumstantial, and theoretical evidence to hypothesize about the existence of "hidden plants". Scientists in this field examine plant and animal remains, soil sample, photographs, eyewitness accounts, etc. to determine if a particular plat exists or not. Examples of theoretical plants include the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary, large Man Eating Trees, and Umdhlebi. An example of a plant that was found to exist after it supposedly disappeared is the Wollemia. Base Skill: 40%, +5% per level of experience. Skills Required: Botany. (Inspired by the Cryptozoology skill from Rifter #13)).

Preternatural Biology. This is the scientific study of preternatural (magic/paranormal) creatures. A Preternatural Biologist focuses their study on beings which appear outside or beyond the natural. With an understanding of these creature's cells, anatomy, physiology, evolution, and genetics; as well as academic knowledge of their nature and habits, behaviour, instincts, etc., this is a must-have skill for those wishing to go out and study Preternatural Creatures. One does not require Zoology or Biology to learn this skill, however each of the two provides a +5% bonus to this skill if known. Base Skill: 30%, +5% per level of experience.

Preternatural Botany. This is the scientific study of preternatural (magic/paranormal) plants. A Preternatural Botanist focuses their study on plants which appear outside or beyond the natural. Can categorize plants and study their functions. One does not require Botany to learn this skill, however it will provide a +5% bonus to this skill if known. Base Skill: 35%, +5% per level of experience.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I like Preternatural Biology and Preternatural Botany, but I do think they should have prerequisites in biology and botany, and they should add bonuses to monster and faery lore skills.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Awesome work! Thank you SO much!

Gryphon Chick wrote:There might be something like that in Dead Reign, as they have skills for making do with remnants of stuff. I will try my hand at this, however.

Scavenging (Rogue/Urban Survival Skill): The character knows the best places to find used and unwanted parts and salvage, and is able to re-purpose tools. This skill covers all manner of dumpster diving, sifting through garbage, looking through parts lots and salvage yards. Base Skill: 24%, +4% per level of experience, +5% if begging or streetwise is also taken. Adds +5% to basic mechanics and sewing skills.

Great work Gryphon Chick! Normally low skill %'s are not a PC's friend, but in this case I like it. The low % reflects that this is a self taught/on the job (street) training type of deal.
Really good work.

Stattick wrote:Of these canon skills, I would think that a hobo might have skills like these:

streetwise (rue)
general repair/maintenance (rue)
jury rig (rue)
recycling (rue)
salvage (rue)
eyeball a fella (from the Rifts Vagabond) (rue)
barter (rue)
performance, play musical instrument, singing, or public speaking (put your hat out and play that guitar/sing/recite poetry) (rue)
cooking (rue)
fishing (rue)
sewing (rue)
urban survival ???
land navigation (rue)
pick locks (rue)
pick pockets (rue)
basic mechanics (rue)
first aid (rue)
climbing (rue)
hand to hand (basic or expert) (rue)
boxing or wrestling (maybe - those are the two least expensive martial sports to learn - walk into the right gym or YMCA, plus fighting in illegal, bareknuckle matches) (rue)
pool ???
darts ???
running (rue)
outdoorsmanship (rue)
physical labor (rue)
prowl (rue)
identify plants and fruits (rue)
wilderness survival (rue)

And I'd just invent something like these:
Rogue
Stow away
- the character has a good knowledge of train lines, bus lines, ship lines, and other similar transportation systems (such as the routes that truckers use). The character is proficient at sneaking aboard such vehicles, and evading detection. This includes the knowledge of how to jump aboard a train in motion, how to safely jump off a train in motion, and so forth. The character knows where the most likely places are where the vehicles are to be inspected, and will usually leave before such places, and then catch another ride just past the inspection point. 25%+5

Do you think some physical bonuses might be appropriate? Perhaps a P.P. (and maybe a P.E.) bonus from all the practicing at jumping onto and off of a moving vehicle. I'd also think a + to SDC because you know you're gonna fail sometimes and those sometimes are gonna be painful. Kind of like a reverse body hardening exercise. Not trained to take more damage, but can take more damage as a result of failing the training.

Rogue
Scavenge
- the character knows where and how to claim abandoned property. The character doesn't know how to repair it per se, but with the appropriate skills, may be able to sell it, trade it for something, turn it in to a recycling center, repair it and use it or sell it, and so forth. Utilizing this skill often requires trespassing, climbing, prowling, picking locks, burglary, general repair/maintenance or jury rigging (to repair it enough to sell it), and so forth. 25%+5

Technical
Trash Picking
- this is the skill of picking through garbage to find useful items. These can be items that can be recycled (bottles/cans), can be repaired (appliances, electronics, broken watches, etc), have intrinsic value (a dull knife that just needs sharpening), or are edible (wilted or over ripened fruit, fast food items that have been thrown in the dumpster after their holding time expired). This skill also includes the knowledge of where one is most likely to find the item(s) one is looking for. For instance, if one is looking for copper, sneaking into the local landfill is more likely to be profitable than looking through residential trash. Industrial sites or construction projects are most likely to produce scrap wood, nails, screws, and so forth. 30%+5

Stattick..wow.. :mad: :mad: this is my brain catching fire from the overload of awesome :ok: :ok: Nice work on the list of skills a homeless person might have. I was thinking along the same lines. The only problem comes from the fact that a lot of them aren't available/canon to TMNT&OS which is where my PC's come from, and we're trying our best to create them RAW. I asked about/for the scavenge/salvage skill because the GM said he was going to give that to us ( :ok: score! :ok:). I really like the idea of learning boxing or wrestling by hitting up the YMCA or getting into underground fights. I'll have to ask the GM about it.

If he'll allow it I'll see if (using your skill list above) I can't create a sort of makeshift Hobo OCC (urban and rural) to balance out the 39%!!! chance of being a Ninja if you roll the wild animal education table.

As for your created skills, my hat is doffed to you fine Sir (or Madam). The Stow Away skill is insanely imaginative and I really like how you separated Scavenge and Trash Picking.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stattick
Adventurer

Rogue
Burglary
- this is the skill for breaking and entering. It allows the burglar to know the most efficient ways in which to gain entry into a building without attracting attention or making a lot of noise, or calling undue attention to one's self. It does not give the burglar the capacity to disable or bypass most alarms, but does give them a chance to spot an alarmed building before attempting entry on a successful skill roll. Furthermore, the burglar may recognize whether the alarm is a good system which will automatically alert an alarm company or police if the building or entry point is breached, or whether it will just make noise that could potentially be disabled quickly. It also doesn't grant the ability to pick locks, although the burglar will be able to assess how likely a lock could be picked. The skill does include knowledge of bump keys, duck taping windows so they can be broken silently, knowledge of how to kick in a door, how to use a prybar or sledgehammer to open a door, how to pop open a locked sliding glass door, and how to open a garage door that has an automatic opener. It also gives the burglar knowledge of how to case a house, canvass a neighborhood, and a good chance at avoiding buildings that would more trouble than what they're worth due to alarm system, pets, or occupants with a successful roll. 35% +5
Stattick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Do you think some physical bonuses might be appropriate? Perhaps a P.P. (and maybe a P.E.) bonus from all the practicing at jumping onto and off of a moving vehicle. I'd also think a + to SDC because you know you're gonna fail sometimes and those sometimes are gonna be painful. Kind of like a reverse body hardening exercise. Not trained to take more damage, but can take more damage as a result of failing the training.

Oh, I could perhaps see a bonus of +1 to PE, +1d6 SDC, and a +2 to roll. Because, well, when you jump out of a vehicle that's doing 25 or 30 mph, the only thing you can do is time it so you don't hit something, and roll when you hit the ground. And then get the hell out of sight before the guy wearing the Border Patrol uniform sees you.

Also, if you screw it up trying to hop onto a train... well, there's a real good chance you're going to loose your legs. I had an uncle that used to stow away and ride the trains all over California, just because it was fun. The other high school kids were sitting there in Algebra class, while he was riding a train on down to San Diego to go hustle some pool in a bar. This was way back, so kids could hang around in bars. It didn't help him none if he hustled the wrong guy(s) and they decided to beat the **** out of him - but being a big guy that fought dirty as all hell did help him. Sure, sometimes he'd loose a fight and get the crap beat out of him, but more often than not, he'd walk away in decent condition, and with plenty of the other guy's money in his pocket. Then he'd hop on another train and head home.

Rogue
Scavenge

Technical
Trash Picking

Stattick..wow.. :mad: :mad: this is my brain catching fire from the overload of awesome :ok: :ok: Nice work on the list of skills a homeless person might have. I was thinking along the same lines. The only problem comes from the fact that a lot of them aren't available/canon to TMNT&OS which is where my PC's come from, and we're trying our best to create them RAW. I asked about/for the scavenge/salvage skill because the GM said he was going to give that to us ( :ok: score! :ok:). I really like the idea of learning boxing or wrestling by hitting up the YMCA or getting into underground fights. I'll have to ask the GM about it.

If he'll allow it I'll see if (using your skill list above) I can't create a sort of makeshift Hobo OCC (urban and rural) to balance out the 39%!!! chance of being a Ninja if you roll the wild animal education table.

As for your created skills, my hat is doffed to you fine Sir (or Madam). The Stow Away skill is insanely imaginative and I really like how you separated Scavenge and Trash Picking.

I meant to include the burglary skill last night, but forgot. Remember, the skill could just as easily be used by homeless people who are simply trying to get into an abandoned building to get in out of the weather, or looking for scavenge in an abandoned factory or whatnot.

Also, another skill that was put to good use by hobos back in the day, was seduction. Probably not so much these days, but still... If you're reasonably likeable and well put together fellow, you might be able to get a lot more out of the lady of the house, or a widow, if you flatter and flirt with her. She doesn't even need to be attractive, and your intent doesn't even need to be carnal. After all, if you're a homeless fellow, and you woo her right, she might let you crash out in the shed, garage, or whatnot. Hell, she might do your laundry for you while you're out weeding her backyard, or picking the fruit from her trees or whatnot.

Storytelling is also a classic hobo skill. If you're sitting around the campfire, you don't have a television, computer, and probably no radio either. Storytelling's a good way to pass the time.
Stattick
Adventurer

Rogue/Technical

Urban Survival
- this skill covers the physical aspects of staying alive in the city. This includes staying warm, staying dry, finding shelter, and knowledge of urban foraging techniques (finding wild edibles in the city, such as fruit, nuts, greens, hunting pigeons, and so forth). Some characters may also practice guerrilla gardening - gardening on public or private land without authorization. The character knows where all the soup kitchens and food pantries in the city are. The character is also familiar with the city's homeless shelters and their rules. The character is also familiar with other techniques for sheltering from bad weather, such as sleeping all night on the subway. The character also knows how to gain access to the city's tunnel and sewer systems, can find manhole covers from either above or below ground, and may even be able to slip into the basements of some buildings from the maze like web of tunnels that many cities have. He'll know how to find clean rain water, if the local fish are safe to eat, and what animals he can kill and eat without getting in trouble for breaking hunting or animal cruelty laws. (Short answer - you can kill vermin and invasive non-native species such as pigeons and sparrows in most areas, but urban rodents generally aren't safe to handle or eat due to possible contagion. It's also a safe bet to consider feral cats and dogs off limits.) This skill contrasts with streetwise, which covers the social aspects of surviving in the city. 20% +5
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stattick wrote:Rogue
Burglary
- this is the skill for breaking and entering. It allows the burglar to know the most efficient ways in which to gain entry into a building without attracting attention or making a lot of noise, or calling undue attention to one's self. It does not give the burglar the capacity to disable or bypass most alarms, but does give them a chance to spot an alarmed building before attempting entry on a successful skill roll. Furthermore, the burglar may recognize whether the alarm is a good system which will automatically alert an alarm company or police if the building or entry point is breached, or whether it will just make noise that could potentially be disabled quickly. It also doesn't grant the ability to pick locks, although the burglar will be able to assess how likely a lock could be picked. The skill does include knowledge of bump keys, duck taping windows so they can be broken silently, knowledge of how to kick in a door, how to use a prybar or sledgehammer to open a door, how to pop open a locked sliding glass door, and how to open a garage door that has an automatic opener. It also gives the burglar knowledge of how to case a house, canvass a neighborhood, and a good chance at avoiding buildings that would more trouble than what they're worth due to alarm system, pets, or occupants with a successful roll. 35% +5

Nice addition. Quite the useful bit of knowledge for those without marketable skills, or an appearance that makes them unwelcome at charity centers or begging impossible.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stattick wrote:Rogue/Technical

Urban Survival
- this skill covers the physical aspects of staying alive in the city. This includes staying warm, staying dry, finding shelter, and knowledge of urban foraging techniques (finding wild edibles in the city, such as fruit, nuts, greens, hunting pigeons, and so forth). Some characters may also practice guerrilla gardening - gardening on public or private land without authorization. The character knows where all the soup kitchens and food pantries in the city are. The character is also familiar with the city's homeless shelters and their rules. The character is also familiar with other techniques for sheltering from bad weather, such as sleeping all night on the subway. The character also knows how to gain access to the city's tunnel and sewer systems, can find manhole covers from either above or below ground, and may even be able to slip into the basements of some buildings from the maze like web of tunnels that many cities have. He'll know how to find clean rain water, if the local fish are safe to eat, and what animals he can kill and eat without getting in trouble for breaking hunting or animal cruelty laws. (Short answer - you can kill vermin and invasive non-native species such as pigeons and sparrows in most areas, but urban rodents generally aren't safe to handle or eat due to possible contagion. It's also a safe bet to consider feral cats and dogs off limits.) This skill contrasts with streetwise, which covers the social aspects of surviving in the city. 20% +5

That's a LOT of knowing. Kind of a low % though. What happens when you fail a roll (and at 20% that should be more often than not)?

Roll urban survival. 21% NO SOUP FOR YOU!! roll again, 100%. "taking what you "think" should be a left turn, and going through a doorway you find yourself in the "private back room" at the Blue Oyster Bar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGclIZV5JQ. Roll for initiative.

Makes it seem like the PC would be doing a bunch of getting lost, going hungry, sleeping in the weather, or having other adverse things happen. Now I know we're playing Hobo's/street people but dang!

A low % for stowaway I understand. You're trying to safely hit a moving target or safely miss the ground.

Roll to jump off the train..47%. Oooh! You didn't time your jump right and waited to long. You overshot the grassy area and hit the fringe as the grass fades away to a steep river bank. As you tumble down the embankment (Gm rolls...) you twist your ankle (Gm rolls..), dislocate your shoulder (Gm rolls.hiss dang you're unlucky) and wind up in the river being swept away by the current.

Awesome lol.

Not complaining (much). Thank you so much for your contributions.

GM has okayd a rural and urban sub-table for the Wild Animal Education table's "Character grew up on the fringe of society" Now to just put them together, figure out which skills to auto give each category (will cut out a 2nday skill selection for each maybe?), and maybe something else. Want to balance it, giving the pc's a slight edge in their environmental niche but still make the education/skill selection a recognizable obstacle vs college educated pc's.

Feel free to chime in with thoughts

TOSA Nate.

PS You all rock my socks

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Urban Survival
I think this skill does too much................ Finding edibles should not be a part of it, unless you are talking about knowing where the local soup kitchens are. Homeless people do not eat pigeons. Gardening is already its own skill, and should not be covered. I would edit the skill as follows:

Urban Survival - this skill covers the physical aspects of staying alive in the city. This includes staying warm, staying dry, and finding shelter. The character knows where all the soup kitchens and food pantries in the city are. The character is also familiar with the city's homeless shelters and their rules. The character is also familiar with other techniques for sheltering from bad weather, such as sleeping all night on the subway. The character also knows how to gain access to the city's tunnel and sewer systems, can find manhole covers from either above or below ground, and may even be able to slip into the basements of some buildings from the maze like web of tunnels that many cities have. This skill contrasts with streetwise, which covers the social aspects of surviving in the city. Base Skill: 20% +5% per level of experience.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Burglary

Nice addition. Quite the useful bit of knowledge for those without marketable skills, or an appearance that makes them unwelcome at charity centers or begging impossible.
I like this one as well. A much needed addition to the category.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Urban Survival
- this skill covers the physical aspects of staying alive in the city.

Edited for brevity - Nate

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I think this skill does too much................ Finding edibles should not be a part of it, unless you are talking about knowing where the local soup kitchens are. Homeless people do not eat pigeons. Gardening is already its own skill, and should not be covered.

Well, I guess that does make sense. How would you handle finding food in the city SG? Use the Trash Picking skill Stattick wrote above? Maybe something new?

Nate

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stattick
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:How would you handle finding food in the city SG? Use the Trash Picking skill Stattick wrote above? Maybe something new?

Nate

You could use Identify Plants and Fruits. Urban survival could be used to know where in the city one might find growing things (parks, vacant lots, suburban areas, areas near railroads, and also what areas to avoid where the plants are probably contaminated, such as areas near gas stations, auto repair shops, down stream from car washes, etc). Or as an alternate, one of us could write up an Urban Foraging skill (google it for all kinds of sites talking about Urban Foraging - it's a thing right now).

As for urban hunting, well, that's something that very, very few people do, and could be of questionable legality in some areas. That could be covered under Hunting, or you could just have no skill in it at all. Hell, it's not hard to find pigeons in a US city. Pick up a rock or a bottle, and throw it at the bird. Roll to hit.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I think this skill does too much................ Finding edibles should not be a part of it, unless you are talking about knowing where the local soup kitchens are. Homeless people do not eat pigeons. Gardening is already its own skill, and should not be covered.

Well, I guess that does make sense. How would you handle finding food in the city SG? Use the Trash Picking skill Stattick wrote above? Maybe something new?

Nate
Normal people don't need a skill for finding food that is in front of them. The skill covers finding the soup kitchens, so it is covered in that respect. They can take the cooking skill and use other skills to get food, like Identify Plants and Fruits. Trash picking would work if you did that sort of thing, though most homeless people don't eat out of the trash if they can help it, as getting sick is to be avoided since there are few places that give out free medicines if you get sick.
I am interested in exploring the Urban Foraging idea that Stattick mentioned as well.
As for urban hunting, they fine you if you feed the animals now in most states, I can only imagine the trouble you would get into killing them for food.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Normal people don't need a skill for finding food that is in front of them. The skill covers finding the soup kitchens, so it is covered in that respect. They can take the cooking skill and use other skills to get food, like Identify Plants and Fruits. Trash picking would work if you did that sort of thing, though most homeless people don't eat out of the trash if they can help it, as getting sick is to be avoided since there are few places that give out free medicines if you get sick.

We're not normal people. Heck we're not even people. We're an unlikely band of mutant animal characters finding themselves living on or under the streets of NYC.

I am interested in exploring the Urban Foraging idea that Stattick mentioned as well.

I googled urban foraging just to see what it would come up with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_foraging
http://freegan.info/what-is-a-freegan/f ... -foraging/
http://money.howstuffworks.com/freegan2.htm

They ALL mentioned eating food from the trash, along with making the participants sound like cheap @$$ eco-hipsters.

As for hunting, IMO, it is the most useless skill in the books. It doesn't do anything on its own. Only gives buffs to other skills. Well what if I don't have those other skills? Then hunting is wasted. Not cool PB. Not Cool.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Normal people don't need a skill for finding food that is in front of them. The skill covers finding the soup kitchens, so it is covered in that respect. They can take the cooking skill and use other skills to get food, like Identify Plants and Fruits. Trash picking would work if you did that sort of thing, though most homeless people don't eat out of the trash if they can help it, as getting sick is to be avoided since there are few places that give out free medicines if you get sick.
We're not normal people. Heck we're not even people. We're an unlikely band of mutant animal characters finding themselves living on or under the streets of NYC.
Well, then, yes, you would be eating from the trash and killing small animals. I agree that the Hunting skill is pretty useless. There should be a special skill for using natural weaponry such as claws and teeth to attack prey for animal mutants, and here it is:

WP Natural Weaponry: The character has natural weaponry in the form of claws, fangs or whatever other natural powers he was born with and gets bonuses for fighting with them; +2 to strike at level one, plus an additional +1 at levels 4, 7, 10 and 13. Cannot parry or throw with this skill, obviously.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Well, then, yes, you would be eating from the trash and killing small animals. I agree that the Hunting skill is pretty useless. There should be a special skill for using natural weaponry such as claws and teeth to attack prey for animal mutants, and here it is:

WP Natural Weaponry: The character has natural weaponry in the form of claws, fangs or whatever other natural powers he was born with and gets bonuses for fighting with them; +2 to strike at level one, plus an additional +1 at levels 4, 7, 10 and 13. Cannot parry or throw with this skill, obviously.

The skill that costs twice: 1st the Bio-E to buy the natural weapon, 2nd a skill slot to buy the W.P.. Otherwise I like this. :ok:

In regards to eating from the trash, This is where the Urban Survival and Trash Picking skills come in really handy. Knowing where to find hand outs and toss outs is invaluable. A clever PC might even make friends with a local grocer (butcher/baker/whatever) to collect those things that are going to be discarded. Theft, spoilage, etc.. are already calculated into the budget. Why not come by on a scheduled basis and pick them up (maybe in return for a service) rather than have to dig them out of the dumpster and rip open the garbage bags?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Burglary

I was about to comment on how this was a Breaking and Entering skill and not so much a burglary (skill at theft), and then I reread the first 8 words again lol. Is there a skill (other than pick pocket) that trains the character in theft/shoplifting?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

The skill that costs twice: 1st the Bio-E to buy the natural weapon, 2nd a skill slot to buy the W.P.. Otherwise I like this. :ok:

Well, the skill would not be limited to just those with BIO-E. I was also thinking of possibly doing a version for those with APS powers and giving it a bonus to parry.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:In regards to eating from the trash, This is where the Urban Survival and Trash Picking skills come in really handy. Knowing where to find hand outs and toss outs is invaluable. A clever PC might even make friends with a local grocer (butcher/baker/whatever) to collect those things that are going to be discarded. Theft, spoilage, etc.. are already calculated into the budget. Why not come by on a scheduled basis and pick them up (maybe in return for a service) rather than have to dig them out of the dumpster and rip open the garbage bags?
I think knowing where to find food might be part of Urban Survival, but what I had issue with was the idea of normal, non-mutant homeless people killing animals for food. Knowing sources of fresh water would be okay, as would knowing where to find bakeries and other places that leave out food and trash that could be eaten. I would amend the Urban Survival I edited as follows, then:

Urban Survival - this skill covers the physical aspects of staying alive in the city. This includes staying warm, staying dry, and finding shelter. The character knows where all the soup kitchens and food pantries in the city are. The character is also familiar with the city's homeless shelters and their rules. The character is also familiar with other techniques for sheltering from bad weather, such as sleeping all night on the subway. The character also knows how to gain access to the city's tunnel and sewer systems, can find manhole covers from either above or below ground, and may even be able to slip into the basements of some buildings from the maze like web of tunnels that many cities have. He'll know how to find clean rain water, if the local fish are safe to eat, where to find local gardens and where food naturally grows, and where there are bakeries and restaurants that leave out food or throw away a lot of edibles, though this power does not actually cover digging through the trash itself. This skill contrasts with streetwise, which covers the social aspects of surviving in the city. Base Skill: 20% +5% per level of experience.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Burglary

I was about to comment on how this was a Breaking and Entering skill and not so much a burglary (skill at theft), and then I reread the first 8 words again lol. Is there a skill (other than pick pocket) that trains the character in theft/shoplifting?
I think Concealment covers this, as it is the slight-of-hand skill. I do not think there is an actual skill for casing locations and preparing for engaging in theft.

Rogue

Theft:
This is the skill related to casing locations and observing the movement of people to know just when to strike. It involves observing people and figuring out their patterns and movements and when they are likely not to notice something. Typically, it requires a great deal of time and observation of intended targets. If successful, it will give a temporary bonus of 10% to Burglary, Pick Pocket, Prowl and Concealment for engaging in the actual theft. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle, you are the Rathorc Leminger of skill creation. I stand in awe of you.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Stone Gargoyle, you are the Rathorc Leminger of skill creation. I stand in awe of you.
I do try. Any other requests?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Stone Gargoyle, you are the Rathorc Leminger of skill creation. I stand in awe of you.

Asking me if I have requests. Mwuahahahaha. :twisted: Rubs hands together...oh yes. I'm sure I can think of more.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Asking me if I have requests. Mwuahahahaha. :twisted: Rubs hands together...oh yes. I'm sure I can think of more.
Good. It helps to keep the thread from stagnating. 8)
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Good. It helps to keep the thread from stagnating. 8)
Yes, keep it going. This has been cool with everyone writing up so much these past few days.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I've been enjoying the theme skills. Still working on my urban hobo vs rural hobo automatic skills. So far most everything has been urban-centric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6TBTP-EJI

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

How about a skill similar to Boxing? Not for the guy who is formally trained in a gym (the Boxing skill), but for the guy who's learned to fight the hard way by constantly getting jumped, picking fights, or what have you.

Also, perhaps a version of Boxing that would be the equivalent of a 2ndary skill? I like Stattick's idea of a just walking into a YMCA and learning, but not at Skill program level, (the grew up on the fringes Wild Animal Education table only allows the PC to choose from (14) 2ndary skills).

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Good. It helps to keep the thread from stagnating. 8)

Speaking of stagnant threads... I'd appreciate suggestions from any and everyone you can rally to the cause.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=136630

Right now I'm running with a name that's 2/3 real life cat I once had, and 1/3 a descriptor of the sound his Partial Speech makes. He sounds more like a gangster sponsored by Big Tobacco than a mutant tiger hobo.

Seriously, who's gonna respect/revere/fear someone named Smokey Joe Gargle? Most likely no one that's who. Also since I wrote that I've decided to play him more "thiefy leave my hobo friends alone or I'll beat you up" and less "shadowy hobo defender who gets non solicited tribute from those he protects"

Thanks,
TOSA Nate

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

stone gargoyle,is there any trivia skill(maybe as a version of lore?)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Competitive Eating(Physical)
This is training in competitive eating; the ability to pack large amounts of food away in short periods of time. Training teaches a degree of discomfort to pain and avoiding choking. It also teaches the practitioner how to hold down foodstuffs that might otherwise invoke a gag reflex(like extra spicy hot wings, raw clams, sheep eyeballs or fish guts). Besides putting you in the running for Coney Island honors, it's useful for eat-and-runs and putting on impressive showings at diplomatic dinners involving exotic cuisines.
Bonuses:
-Can pack away a pound of food per every 5 pts of P.E. in 3 minutes(12 melees)
-Hold breath an extra 1d4 minutes
-+4 to save versus Horror Factor(or its equivalent) with regards to foodstuffs. Jellied monkey brains holds no terror for you.
-+1 to save versus non-lethal poison with regards to excessively spicy foods(doesn't suffer indigestion or traumatic numbness of the taste buds).
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I've been enjoying the theme skills. Still working on my urban hobo vs rural hobo automatic skills. So far most everything has been urban-centric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6TBTP-EJI
That's because living in the wild is already covered with Wilderness skills, and rural skills can be used whether you are homeless or have a home. The only reason you need specialized hobo skills is in environments where you would otherwise need money, like in a city or urban area.
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:How about a skill similar to Boxing? Not for the guy who is formally trained in a gym (the Boxing skill), but for the guy who's learned to fight the hard way by constantly getting jumped, picking fights, or what have you.

Also, perhaps a version of Boxing that would be the equivalent of a 2ndary skill? I like Stattick's idea of a just walking into a YMCA and learning, but not at Skill program level, (the grew up on the fringes Wild Animal Education table only allows the PC to choose from (14) 2ndary skills).

So, what, a Street Fighter skill, maybe?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Competitive Eating(Physical)
This is training in competitive eating; the ability to pack large amounts of food away in short periods of time. Training teaches a degree of discomfort to pain and avoiding choking. It also teaches the practitioner how to hold down foodstuffs that might otherwise invoke a gag reflex(like extra spicy hot wings, raw clams, sheep eyeballs or fish guts). Besides putting you in the running for Coney Island honors, it's useful for eat-and-runs and putting on impressive showings at diplomatic dinners involving exotic cuisines.
Bonuses:
-Can pack away a pound of food per every 5 pts of P.E. in 3 minutes(12 melees)
-Hold breath an extra 1d4 minutes
-+1 to save versus Horror Factor(or its equivalent) with regards to foodstuffs. Jellied monkey brains holds no terror for you.
-+1 to save versus non-lethal poison with regards to excessively spicy foods(doesn't suffer indigestion or traumatic numbness of the taste buds).
I think the save vs. Horror Factor with regards to food should be higher. Obviously you don't watch enough Fear Factor. Some food can be downright intimidating.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Competitive Eating(Physical) quote]I think the save vs. Horror Factor with regards to food should be higher. Obviously you don't watch enough Fear Factor. Some food can be downright intimidating.

+4 sound good to you? When you start climbing into the +5+ range, you could probably start tucking into live Ruin Worms without cringing.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:+4 sound good to you? When you start climbing into the +5+ range, you could probably start tucking into live Ruin Worms without cringing.
+4 was what I was thinking it should have, actually. 8) Make it so...
taalismn
Priest

It be done.
Now where's the cardio-burger I'm expected to wolf down?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:How about a skill similar to Boxing? Not for the guy who is formally trained in a gym (the Boxing skill), but for the guy who's learned to fight the hard way by constantly getting jumped, picking fights, or what have you.

So, what, a Street Fighter skill, maybe?

Yeah, that's the idea. A skill in Street Fighting/Brawling.

Other ideas that wandered through my brain.

Language/Literacy Hobo markings/street slang/(grafitti). I seem to remember reading somewhere that hobo's had their own set of symbols to let other hobo's know about friendly neighborhoods/handouts etc. And I think they may have had special terminology for stuff. As far as the street slang/(grafitti) goes. It's the same idea as above, just more modernized. While awesome in a romanticized sense, Hobo's seem to be an early to mid 20th century thing (depression era - ??) Where as street slang and grafitti (to me at least) would have started in the mid to late 1950's up to modern times.

i swear I had more ideas, but the last 2 (maybe 3) weeks have been near 60 hour work weeks and they don't look to be slowing down. They're starting to catch up with me.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Yeah, that's the idea. A skill in Street Fighting/Brawling.

I could see this as a physical skill with bonuses to strike and parry, like boxing has, or even its own Hand to Hand style. Mephisto is generally better at the physical fighting skills than I am, though.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Other ideas that wandered through my brain.

Language/Literacy Hobo markings/street slang/(grafitti). I seem to remember reading somewhere that hobo's had their own set of symbols to let other hobo's know about friendly neighborhoods/handouts etc. And I think they may have had special terminology for stuff. As far as the street slang/(grafitti) goes. It's the same idea as above, just more modernized. While awesome in a romanticized sense, Hobo's seem to be an early to mid 20th century thing (depression era - ??) Where as street slang and grafitti (to me at least) would have started in the mid to late 1950's up to modern times.
I like the idea of a Graffiti code language but it will take me a bit to come up with something. Jive/street slang would just be its own language one could take for the cost of a regular language skill.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”