Human mutants/mutoids

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stattick
Adventurer

Human mutants/mutoids

Unread post by Stattick »

Human mutants/mutoids are mentioned several times in the books, and it's said that there's a pretty high percentage of them in the Chi-Town 'burbs, but unless I've missed it, there isn't really any guidance to writing them up. If there's an official answer, or something in one of the Rifters, I'd appreciate it if someone can point them out to me.

Otherwise, how do you handle it? Me, I'm thinking about hacking a system together that has some resemblance to the mutant power category from HU2, but more Rifts appropriate.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Human mutants/mutoids

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It's covered in the RMB Character Creation rules, p. 18, under "Family Origin."
If you're an Earth Mutant, a D-Bee, or an Alien, you roll twice on a random table to determine the character's appearance, or you select two features from the list.
They're all minor stuff, like "tough, lumpy skin (+2d6 SDC)," or "Has a long bushy dog-like tail," or "No body hair."

This table was omitted for RUE, for some reason.
Which is a shame, because I thought it added a lot of character to the game.

I believe that there are also some rules for human mutants in Rifts: Lonestar, and I know that there are some in Mutants in Orbit as well.

Rifts mutants aren't generally going to have super powers (although MiO's rules allow for it, due to the greater mutation rate in space), but if you wanted to roll up a HU-style mutant character and say he's native to Rifts Earth, that'd be fine.
But as far as canon is concerned, he'd be an extremely rare and powerful mutant, not your run-of-the-mill Burbs-dwelling mutant.

Of course, if you want to change that for your campaign-world, that could be pretty cool.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

There are also more random human mutant rules found in Dinosaur Swamp in the Barbarian Section.

IIRC, Underseas has a bit on Ley Line Mutations for animals, that might also apply to humans if you want.

Additional examples of "standardized" human mutants also exist:
-Psi-Ghost (Psyscape)
-Psi-Stalker (RMB/RUE, probably a few others)
-Psi-X Alien (DBoNA, Lonestar), though they are considered D-Bee the fact is they are a human mutation
-Sea Titan (Underseas)
-New West suggests that one of the D-Bee/Monsters might be a human mutant (forget the name, Mt. Giant?)
-D-Bee of North America IIRC suggests a few may be actual mutants native to Earth. Off hand I forget which one(s), but one might be connected to the Gene Splicers, and this is beyond just the Psi-X or the avian from SA)
-Amazon's (SA) and/or True Atlanteans (Atlantis) might be thought of as human mutants
-Some monsters the Lord of the Deep creates are humans combined with aquatic creatures, so they might be thought of as mutants
-some of the Psychic Classes might also qualify as human mutants (Psi-Tech, Zapper, Mind Melter, etc)
-South America Books (forget if it's both or 1or2) have various mutant animals and a human that are standardized like Dogboy.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I once did a list of human mutants metioned in Rifts books. You can find it here. Hope it helps.

[As always click on the upper-right button for an automatic google trabslation].
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think the problem is it's not been clarified if 'mutoid' is another term for 'mutant' (interchangeable noun or adjective) or if it means something distinctive.

Like perhaps 'mutoid' is short for 'mutant humanoid' ? Whatever they are, Karl Prosek seems to hate mutoids and tolerate mutants (dog boys, psi-stalkers) based on his speech, which leads me to wonder.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”