What counts as a disease?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

What counts as a disease?

Unread post by EmeraldToucanet »

There's some races that are impervious to disease, but no definition that I can find as far as what counts as disease when it comes to this power. In fact I can't even find what specifically save vs. disease covers either.
I think it's safe to assume viral infections count, but what about other types of infection such as fungal and bacterial, or parasites? Does it cover things like radiation sickness, and other chronic illness (can a creature impervious to disease develop arthritis or allergies)?
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Re: What counts as a disease?

Unread post by ZorValachan »

If you take modern medicine, it seems everything bad is a disease. Doesn't matter if it is from outside, from genetics, or whatnot.

For games, I always use it is 1) In some way from outside the body originally. 2) it causes the body to be ill in some manner. 3) It is alive and can replicate itself.

So I would use it for Viral, bacterial, fungal, parasites. I would not count Radiation sickness (I would use 'poison' for that) and not chronic illnesses like arthritis. I would probably count Allergies as poison too.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

EmeraldToucanet wrote:There's some races that are impervious to disease, but no definition that I can find as far as what counts as disease when it comes to this power. In fact I can't even find what specifically save vs. disease covers either.
I think it's safe to assume viral infections count, but what about other types of infection such as fungal and bacterial, or parasites? Does it cover things like radiation sickness, and other chronic illness (can a creature impervious to disease develop arthritis or allergies)?

It covers anything that is bacterial, fungal, or viral in nature.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

Unread post by EmeraldToucanet »

These are all good ideas for (what might be very necessary) house rules, but is there an official ruling on this anywhere? If there is I'd love a book title and page number.

I've looked at a few spells that deal with disease, one covers disease in a very general undefined way (the cloud magic spell), the other (the invocation Cure Illness) in one spot says it covers common things like the flu, and further down contradicts this by saying it only cures sickness caused by bacteria (which the flu is not).
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, part of the definition problem may stem from terms like 'Heart Disease' which really covers genetic and lifestyle conditions contributing to heart failure, rather than a definite bacterial or viral cause(though infection may contribute to weakening an already at-risk heart).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

What taalismn and the others have said is pretty much spot on, traditionally a "disease" is something from outside the body such as a virus (many communicable/STD's fall under this category) bacteria or fungal infection. Our more "modern" diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes are either genetic or dietary in nature. Arthritis is a joint inflammation caused by either damage to the joint or possible infection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbow_arthritis.
So in the case of a viral, fungal or bacterial infection I'd say that Immunity to Disease works against them, but it would not work against diabetes, heart disease or cancer as these are "different' from the others.
Basically think of disease in terms of influenza, measles, smallpox, Bubonic Plague, or magically inflicted conditions that are similar.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)

Return to “Rifts®”