Radiation effects rules

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Radiation effects rules

Unread post by cyberdon »

Seeing that Rifts is a post-apocalypsy setting, I think it could use rules to cover radiation exposure.

Anyone able to share there ideas on this?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Radiation effects rules

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

cyberdon wrote:Seeing that Rifts is a post-apocalypsy setting, I think it could use rules to cover radiation exposure.

Anyone able to share there ideas on this?

There are some rules for radiation in Heroes Unlimited, under the Control Radiation power.
I'd like to see the rules expanded for Rifts.
After all, a lot of OCCs start with geiger counters.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Meltdowns are not required; the failsafes could have simply shut down the reactors when things went bad. If there were meltdowns there likely no radioactivity. As I recall, the longest lasting radioactive elements used in nuclear electricity power generation is less than half of a century. As for the effects, it seems to be depending from the type of radioactive elements encountered.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

the radioactive decay of certain isoptopes can be anywhere from 50 years to 10,000. You'd have to have a chemistry / physics handbook to find out exactly.
Good rule of thumb for things like vehicle reactors (just for ball-parking when one gets breached / melts down) is 1D4 months. From what I gather most of the micro-reactors post-appocalypse seem to be of the clean short-lived rads variety.
Though I'd say intensity of the radiation when initial breach ocours would be pretty intense.
*shrug*

Guess if you want realistic radiation & fall-out rules you'll have to do some reasearch... or just use what's in HU2 and have fun, cuz it's, y'know a GAME. :roll:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

hehe .. the post apocolyptical setting does not have rules for Radioactivity .. but the normal running super world has them..

Rather ironic .. :lol:
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I doubt that Rifts qualifies as post apocalyptic; I’d say it’s moved on.

As for the half-lifes of radioactive elements used in nuclear power plants, again, I think the longest lived are cesium and strontium and both are less than 50 years.

EDIT: Longest lived non-alpha radiation.
Last edited by Natasha on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Although not exactly what you're looking for: the effects of prompt radiation from a nuclear device are described in Sourcebook 4, page 47.

~ Josh
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Yes Triax one probably covers it the best under the U-round description. It seems like from most of the descriptions most of the nuclear power plants used in armor is both incredibly well shielded and very clean. It seems like the only real radiation type issues are things like the U rounds where they are intentionally using "hot" substances.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

Cool -thks guys.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'm not sure if there's rules for radiation there, (( the book is across the room and I'm lazy)) but there's a Hazmat troop in Merc Adventures. You might find it there.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Rifts®”