Disssapointments with Lemuria...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SAMASzero
Explorer

Re: Disssapointments with Lemuria...

Unread post by SAMASzero »

Keep in mind I have yet to actually read the book.

Rappanui wrote:Finally getting to read Lemuria a few things dissapoint me.

1. The setting is almost entirely along the region of the indian ocean.

Yes, that's generally where Lemuria is. They already have a book for the rest of the oceans.

3. If it wasn't for the Malanui i'd have almost no use for the book at all. The OCCs/Rccs are rather restricted and very little odds of non lemurians ever learning them.

That's more because of their isolationism, mentioned back in WB7.

5. Why is there Panther shark ... but then a Tiger Serpent?

Too much Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Why is there a sand dragon?

Why not? :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rappanui wrote:Why is there a sand dragon?

The Sand Witch got eaten.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I'd say the only area Lemuria fails is the new "underwater vampires" :roll: . Just what we DON'T need is a type of undead that is immune to water damage and takes 1/2 damage from Holy Water. Sure, what legends of Lemuria that do exist seem to place it more in the region of the South Pacific Islands (IIRC), but near India isn't so bad either. Just remember that the Lemurian cities are constantly mobile so they can wind up any where in the Rifts oceans at any time. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah they move, and fly and teleport and what not, so they can be where ever you want um.

I think the default was there, not for a singular reason, other than "There wasn't anything else really detailed there before" The atlantic had Atlantis the Pacific had Japan on one side, Hawaii which has been carefully NOT covered, and the west coast which also has been carefully and purposefully not covered. So it was stick um down by Austrailia ((and with that book and it's canceled follow ups being swept as far under the rug as possible didn't really make viable)) Pacific also had Lord of the Deep, which is one big squid they're trying to stay away from. Or where they got stuck.

I don't think it was anything like "Lets start an India thing" as Palladium has been pretty careful to stay out of India as well. lol (( Not that I blame them for that))

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Sand Dragons are cool.. The Castle Makers!

Love it!
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Not sure where you get 'set entirely along the Indian Ocean', there is only one thing set there, and that is the Milu. The rest of the book covers all the oceans of the world, with the caveat that the Lemurians avoid the north Atlantic Ocean due to the Splugorth presence.

Considering the mounts are monsters, I'm not sure what you are having an issue with there. Just about anything could serve a Serpent Hunter as a mount, and the biomancy mounts for general use specifically say that they are mounts.

As far as #5 and #6: Why not?

On #3, I partly agree on a couple classes, though most are heavily Lemurian and should be comparatively exclusive to them and their allies. One that does annoy me is 'Lemurian Scout' when they can really just drop 'Lemurian' from the name, I mean parts of it even mention bonuses to non-Lemurian members of the class. Drop the 're:RCC skills/abilities' and the Lemuria-specific equipment and it would be a great general use Scout class.
Spouter-only on all of the new psionics is also silly and unneeded.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

keir451 wrote:I'd say the only area Lemuria fails is the new "underwater vampires" :roll: . Just what we DON'T need is a type of undead that is immune to water damage and takes 1/2 damage from Holy Water. Sure, what legends of Lemuria that do exist seem to place it more in the region of the South Pacific Islands (IIRC), but near India isn't so bad either. Just remember that the Lemurian cities are constantly mobile so they can wind up any where in the Rifts oceans at any time. :D

I agree. Overall, I really like the Lemuria book. I like the creatures, the artwork, the Lemurians themselves, and I also like that the book has a Polynesian flavor to it (even if that's just because of the naming conventions). I feel that the book is an interesting divergence from what's come before, so I think Greg did an admirable job.

That said, I too am not a fan of the underwater vampires (granted they get points for being giant crab people vampires, but still...) and the whole Davey Jones character doesn't really do it for me. I also don't think the octo-dragon should be considered a true dragon. Just my opinion...
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Rappanui wrote:Finally getting to read Lemuria a few things dissapoint me.

2. The Mdc weapons are lackluster, almost no threat to anything from atlantis.

3. If it wasn't for the Malanui i'd have almost no use for the book at all. The OCCs/Rccs are rather restricted and very little odds of non lemurians ever learning them.

4. The confusion between mounts and monsters ...? They are all blended together... if it wasn't for the illustrations i wouldn't know it was a mount.

6. New Dragons.. ok.. but why conflicting names .. Hydros? Ghost?... Why is there a sand dragon?

Didn't see any reason why there are so many new aquatic dragons....
Is there some missing article about Dragons that were supposed to be lemurian allies from Back BEfore the rifts came?

1) They can move when they want to any ocean or place on Earth. They try not to go to the Atlantic because of the Splugorth, but they travel the Pacific (Easter Island base). No point here.
2) Nothing on Earth could possible match the Splugorth & Minions & "Slave Races" firepower, and it is perfectly ok (not a mistake of the book). We are talking about one of THE TOP powers in the entire Megaverse!. No point here.
3) I think that the majority of OCCs/RCCs should be restricted to them but the point that they are of no use to you, in particular, is understandable. Point taken.
4) They "mount" Monsters!. No point here.
5) Why not? I can not understand the question per se.
6) I did not like all the names of the Dragons (Ghost???) and I would like to see more monsters like the Leviathan (super cool!) and less Dragons. Point taken.

I love RIFTS Lemuria. It is right now my favorite World book, but I tried to answer as objectively as possible.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Lemuria has the odd issue of it is pretty good about reining in a lot of the damage power surge that has happened over the years. The more recent books have been doing this so if you compare the damages to things from atlantis they seem a bit underpowered. Still they are pretty close and make up for lesser offensive punch by giving a big defensive boost to just about any lemurian or lemurian ally character.

Seriously when your main caster type can run around in what is the equivalent of medium power armor and still be casting thats kinda impressive. The bio armors other than a couple are somewhat limited in offensive punch but for defense and utility they are amazing. That and in a long term campaign not only do they regen their damage over time to save repair costs spell casters can use healing spells to heal the things. So lemurians are amazingly well equipped for long term scouting missions without having to return to a town/base for repair resupply.

Also one has to take into consideration when looking at offensive power the weapons are individually not that great but almost all the lemurian characters get not only bio armor in addition to the bio weapons but most get one or more war steads too which are pretty equivalent to a light/medium war vehicle with its own set of attacks.

Some of the lemurian OCC are pretty specifically for the lemurians only but most give specific rules for non lemurians. Even looking at bio armor that is designed such that if somebody like a Merran uses it it shape shifts with them from aquatic to humanoid mode.

As for the toys being somewhat limited availability to outsiders same can be said with coalition and triax gear and it does not stop players from drooling over it and finding ways to acquire it.

Overall I found the book to be really interesting much better than I expected. I think I would have liked the vampire things better had they just made them their own type of undead instead of saying just like vampires but not.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I don't care what anyone says, the Panther Shark was cool! :ok:

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the lemurian magic vehicles are pretty darn nifty. I love that small lemurian fighter. Its basically a magic sky cycle that can go mach 3 and is capable of underwater/surface water and flight operations.

While its main guns are lesser damage than some of the tech things out there it is pretty well unsurpassed for speed/agility/flexibility for a vehicle in its size range. The bigger ones with their reusable living torpedos are pretty nifty too gives new meaning to putting fish into the water.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I don't think it was anything like "Lets start an India thing" as Palladium has been pretty careful to stay out of India as well. lol (( Not that I blame them for that))

Lets face facts .. India has had (according to Ancient Alien theory, and their bible) thee highest lvl of tech ever seen on earth !

Vimana's .. an what not !!

:P
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I don't think it was anything like "Lets start an India thing" as Palladium has been pretty careful to stay out of India as well. lol (( Not that I blame them for that))

Lets face facts .. India has had (according to Ancient Alien theory, and their bible) thee highest lvl of tech ever seen on earth !

Vimana's .. an what not !!

:P

Um... wut?

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Did I really .. just read .. "Water Vampires" ?
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Um... wut?

The Mahabharata going into detail about mercury powered flying machines called Vimana that were used to by the gods and weapons of mass destruction comparable to modern nuclear weapons. As an interesting side note there is a broken city of glass in an Indian desert that is crawling with radiation leading ancient alien theorists to hypothesize that this was the ancient city of Mu that was said to have been leveled by the Gods in their war.

People theorize nuclear weapons because the same holy text describes the skin sagging and falling off Elephants, poisoning of the land and those who survived or traveled to the place after coming up in great welts and losing their hair.

It is all quite interesting.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

No lemurs. :(
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Looonatic wrote:No lemurs. :(

They actually DID have lemurs, both normal ones and aquatic ones. Lol

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

The Mahabharata going into detail about mercury powered flying machines called Vimana that were used to by the gods and weapons of mass destruction comparable to modern nuclear weapons. As an interesting side note there is a broken city of glass in an Indian desert that is crawling with radiation leading ancient alien theorists to hypothesize that this was the ancient city of Mu that was said to have been leveled by the Gods in their war.

People theorize nuclear weapons because the same holy text describes the skin sagging and falling off Elephants, poisoning of the land and those who survived or traveled to the place after coming up in great welts and losing their hair.

100% nailed it on the head ! !

Everything points directly to a nuclear holocost (sp?) back in the day in india .. Radiation poisoning .. glass cities .. super heated an what not .

Its amazing to think what could have happened there all those years ago. :D
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

100% nailed it on the head ! !

Everything points directly to a nuclear holocost (sp?) back in the day in india .. Radiation poisoning .. glass cities .. super heated an what not .

Its amazing to think what could have happened there all those years ago. :D

*Looks at you two and takes a few BIG steps away* :nuke: :shock: :lol:

Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

Thank you One Hand Clapping and Akashic Soldier for your praise, It was an awesome book to write. While I know you can't please everyone here are a few points that might shed some light on your issues and rekindle your interest.

Rappanui wrote:

Finally getting to read Lemuria a few things dissapoint me.

The Lemurians once dominated the Indian Ocean like the Atlanteans dominated the Atlantic Ocean. The eventually spread their Polynesian influence along the Pacific Rim into the Pacific. As such they always consider the Indian Ocean their "home".

While I wrote a ton of other stuff for the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, Kevin asked me to cut it out to make the Lemuria Book just about the Lemurians. You should be happy to know that that material is finished and going through a final edit to become the New Navy book by my buddy and I hope to have it to Kevin in a month or so. It contains a whole ton of world info on the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, including undersea colonies, re-colonization efforts to retake the Pacific Rim and islands, New Navy equipment, New Navy spies and information gathering O.C.C.s as well as adventures and how to get "Land Lubber" Characters into an Undersea campaign and in a position to find and use the cool toys in this book as well as stuff in Rifts Lemuria... :D

True, their has been a consist reeling in of damage levels in newer books. But what you may have missed is that "ALL" Lemurian weapons, including the physical attacks of their Bio-Armor does double damage to vampires and the undead as it is a product of Biomancy!

Can't really argue with that, but since it is a book on Lemurians I'd think most people would want O.C.C.s specifically for them? Having said that the Spouter is a Psychic O.C.C. which can be taken by anyone and while it has "Hydro-Psionics" it is just the same as a Burster who has 7 sub-Pyrokinetic Powers, only you get to pick and chose which powers you want with the Spouter and eventually get way more than the Burster.

4. The confusion between mounts and monsters ...? They are all blended together... if it wasn't for the illustrations i wouldn't know it was a mount.

As was stated by another poster they ride Monsters, so of course their mounts are going to be monstrous.

You can blame Chuck on that one :D

In all seriousness the Tiger Serpent was originally supposed to be more snake like with tiger stripe patterning, but when someone like Chuck puts pencil to paper and produces an awesome piece like he did you have to go with the flow :lol:

As fort the Panther Shark that was another of Chuck’s awesome drawings, but their where no stats for it so it actually inspired the monster. Now if I catch your subtle feline interjection, the Tiger Serpent is a feline serpent, where as the Panther Shark is a feline quadruped shark creature, its not like we did a Panther Serpent and a Tiger Serpent.

6. New Dragons.. ok.. but why conflicting names .. Hydros? Ghost?... Why is there a sand dragon?

Is there some missing article about Dragons that were supposed to be lemurian allies from Back BEfore the rifts came?

How are the names conflicting? Hydros as in Hyrdo - Latin for water and Ghost, well it eats ghosts and has ghost like powers? As for them being dragons, they are another species of "Serpent" that the Serpent Hunters can tame and ride if one is bold enough to try and take one down... :eek:

As for the Sand Dragon I thought the idea was really cool, a dragon who build sand castles! :D , but I guess you can complain as you didn't like them and have a different opinion.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:While I wrote a ton of other stuff for the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, Kevin asked me to cut it out to make the Lemuria Book just about the Lemurians. You should be happy to know that that material is finished and going through a final edit to become the New Navy book by my buddy and I hope to have it to Kevin in a month or so. It contains a whole ton of world info on the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, including undersea colonies, re-colonization efforts to retake the Pacific Rim and islands, New Navy equipment, New Navy spies and information gathering O.C.C.s as well as adventures and how to get "Land Lubber" Characters into an Undersea campaign and in a position to find and use the cool toys in this book as well as stuff in Rifts Lemuria... :D

RIFTS Underseas 2!!! At last...do you think that it is going to be at the printer before Christmas? And, is there going to be a RIFTS Lemuria 2?
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Thank you One Hand Clapping and Akashic Soldier for your praise, It was an awesome book to write. While I know you can't please everyone here are a few points that might shed some light on your issues and rekindle your interest.

Rappanui wrote:

Finally getting to read Lemuria a few things dissapoint me.

The Lemurians once dominated the Indian Ocean like the Atlanteans dominated the Atlantic Ocean. The eventually spread their Polynesian influence along the Pacific Rim into the Pacific. As such they always consider the Indian Ocean their "home".

While I wrote a ton of other stuff for the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, Kevin asked me to cut it out to make the Lemuria Book just about the Lemurians. You should be happy to know that that material is finished and going through a final edit to become the New Navy book by my buddy and I hope to have it to Kevin in a month or so. It contains a whole ton of world info on the Pacific Rim and Pacific Ocean, including undersea colonies, re-colonization efforts to retake the Pacific Rim and islands, New Navy equipment, New Navy spies and information gathering O.C.C.s as well as adventures and how to get "Land Lubber" Characters into an Undersea campaign and in a position to find and use the cool toys in this book as well as stuff in Rifts Lemuria... :D

True, their has been a consist reeling in of damage levels in newer books. But what you may have missed is that "ALL" Lemurian weapons, including the physical attacks of their Bio-Armor does double damage to vampires and the undead as it is a product of Biomancy!

Can't really argue with that, but since it is a book on Lemurians I'd think most people would want O.C.C.s specifically for them? Having said that the Spouter is a Psychic O.C.C. which can be taken by anyone and while it has "Hydro-Psionics" it is just the same as a Burster who has 7 sub-Pyrokinetic Powers, only you get to pick and chose which powers you want with the Spouter and eventually get way more than the Burster.

As was stated by another poster they ride Monsters, so of course their mounts are going to be monstrous.

You can blame Chuck on that one :D

In all seriousness the Tiger Serpent was originally supposed to be more snake like with tiger stripe patterning, but when someone like Chuck puts pencil to paper and produces an awesome piece like he did you have to go with the flow :lol:

As fort the Panther Shark that was another of Chuck’s awesome drawings, but their where no stats for it so it actually inspired the monster. Now if I catch your subtle feline interjection, the Tiger Serpent is a feline serpent, where as the Panther Shark is a feline quadruped shark creature, its not like we did a Panther Serpent and a Tiger Serpent.

How are the names conflicting? Hydros as in Hyrdo - Latin for water and Ghost, well it eats ghosts and has ghost like powers? As for them being dragons, they are another species of "Serpent" that the Serpent Hunters can tame and ride if one is bold enough to try and take one down... :eek:

As for the Sand Dragon I thought the idea was really cool, a dragon who build sand castles! :D , but I guess you can complain as you didn't like them and have a different opinion.

____HIGHLY____ Looking forward to the New Navy book man! Crack the whip on that one. That was my only sadness about Lemuria. (( but you'd mentioned it before release so I wasn't surprised)

I for one, very much want the New Navy book. Lemurian's are nice and all. Dont' get me wrong.. but I'd much rather fly the stars and stripes!!

GET

THAT

BOOK

DONE!!!

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!! :ok:

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Rappanui Quote:

Greg Diaczyk:

Rappanui Quote:

Greg Diaczyk:
You can blame Chuck on that one

In all seriousness the Tiger Serpent was originally supposed to be more snake like with tiger stripe patterning, but when someone like Chuck puts pencil to paper and produces an awesome piece like he did you have to go with the flow

Thank You all for the compliments and support! :D
Glad to see you all are enjoying Lemuria (Some more than others.)

I would like to expound on questions #4 & #5 if I may to hopefully provide or reiterate some clarity.

The difference between “Monsters” and “Mounts” is not the illustrations per say, but more specifically the origins of the creature at hand.

The Monsters you see are supernatural creatures that already existed and some are just able to be tamed or bonded with and thus allotting them to become sea mounts for Lemurians. You may notice in the descriptions of these creatures that they have indications of their behavior outside of Lemurian influence and may be encountered as monsters/adversaries that Lemurians & non-Lemurians may face in the wild “if” not careful.

The Sea Mounts on the other hand are creatures that are NOT natural but are designed and bioengineered by Lemurian Biomancer Gene –Mages strictly to becoming Lemurian Sea mounts. They aren’t a type of natural creature roaming free within it’s own habitat like monsters.

With that being stated, we can now look into question #5

The distinctions between the Tiger Serpent (a supernatural Monster) and the infamous Panther-Shark (Bio-engineered Sea Mount). While the Panther Shark is capable of reaching a maximum length of 26 feet (7.9 m) long & 2-3 tons, the Tiger Serpent is capable of reaching a length of 60 feet (18.3 m) in length and weighing 3-6 tons. This makes for a clear distinction in choice of mounts, usage and styles of playability. If you want to ride a much larger more serpentine creature in the vast oceans than something as large as a Tiger Serpent may be the key. However, if you are seeking to ride a creature smaller & more compact in stature, than perhaps the Panther Shark would be up your alley. Each creature has it's own unique weapons & defenses so it is up to the character as to which they choose.

Didn't see any reason why there are so many new aquatic dragons... Is there some missing article about Dragons that were supposed to be lemurian allies from Back BEfore the rifts came?

the Hydros Dragon ... sounds too similar to hydra.. and most people would of just gone with Aqua... or Aquos (but aquos is TM of Phillips)
The Ghost dragon.. is not a ghost dragon.. it should be more aptly named Spectral Dragon since it eats ghosts.
The Sand Dragon being good... ... is just confusing.. the only use for a undersea sand castle is for nefarious purposes.

I think Lemuria (IMHO) was the perfect opportunity to introduce new aquatic dragons & sea serpents that may not have been encountered or properly identified before. A race such as the Lemurians would have a more comprehensive understanding and far more frequent encounters with various aquatic dragons & sea serpents to give us better insight versus other races. I also agree with the above posters regarding the Sea Serpent/dragon names and I don't understand your issue in the names.

A. Hydro & hydra are clearly different in meaning and what the Hydros Dragon does makes it clear to me that it is a water based supernatural Dragon with oceanic magic abilities and hydro-morphosis. The key (IMHO) is not to come in reading new material with preconceived notions and this may help avoid mistaking the hydro for hydra. BTW, I think you may have overlooked some things because this dragon is also called "Aqua Dragon" according to its description"

B. The Ghost dragon is a dragon that can turn into an etheral form and has principals that relate to a ghost, so I don't see the problem there. Also, as stated in section A regarding overlooking the descriptions, this dragon is also called a "Spectral Dragon".

C. The Sand Dragon is a dragon that befits its name as well. Sand castles, sculptures and even "Grander" sculptures designed and created by A DRAGON with structures that become magically imputed solid M.D.C. concrete like structures, helps enhance and define more details in the Rifts environmental setting and adds more depth into the character of these dragons. Just imagining what things Sand Dragons could design and forge that is grander than huge Sand castles makes me as a GM crack a huge smile with creativity & innovation at my disposal(i.e.; Statues of heroes or warnings, labyrinths with hidden treasures or imprisoned monsters, Bunkers for Lemurians and other allies, etc.). Where talking Dragon level artistry here.

Hope this helps.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Rappanui wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

I investigated this story and it turns out it was false material.

The City now is home to two Nuclear power plants. any radiation at the dig site is from the indian government Storing dirty fuel rods there.

The story they quoted as being in the Mahabharata is false, and the story appeared in another holy book covering a different region.

Indians are known to blame the brahmins( blame the Brahmin gods ) for any problem they are having so they like to put out fake stories like the one that originated in 1992 about an 8000 year old nuke attack.

Wait... :shock: Religious.... stories.... lied!??! :shock: :eek: They can do that? :eek:

lol come on guys. 8000 year old nuke attack? Really?

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Rappanui wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

I investigated this story and it turns out it was false material.

The City now is home to two Nuclear power plants. any radiation at the dig site is from the indian government Storing dirty fuel rods there.

The story they quoted as being in the Mahabharata is false, and the story appeared in another holy book covering a different region.

Indians are known to blame the brahmins( blame the Brahmin gods ) for any problem they are having so they like to put out fake stories like the one that originated in 1992 about an 8000 year old nuke attack.

Wait... :shock: Religious.... stories.... lied!??! :shock: :eek: They can do that? :eek:

lol come on guys. 8000 year old nuke attack? Really?
Funny he don't think so ,Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

Looking forward to the next Underseas and New Navy books...
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I have to say I rate this book up there with Mmercops in its usefulness for the setting it is largely meant to be used in. Excellent read.

I TOO am looking forward to teh new Navy book. I imagine it will cover the Hawaiian islands somewhat. Get to it! :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Rappanui wrote:ALso: Dubisch should of been banned from doing any Character art... He ruined the bird men by making them look like unrecognizable but barely birdlike blobby things.!

Mike Dubisch didn't illustrate the Bird Men. In fact, he does not have any art in Lemuria.

~ Josh
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Rappanui wrote:ALso: Dubisch should of been banned from doing any Character art... He ruined the bird men by making them look like unrecognizable but barely birdlike blobby things.!

Mike Dubisch didn't illustrate the Bird Men. In fact, he does not have any art in Lemuria.

~ Josh

Don't have my book in front of me...maybe he means Kent Burles?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Rappanui wrote:wow.. that was burles? ... ok. HE Ruined it!!!

:-| <----- Pepsi Jedi's total lack of surprise. (( looked it up, the birrdman on page 66 was Burles.))

I agree. He should not be allowed to do palladium art. Let him do art for books I don't buy. :) I'm not wishing the guy ill. I hope he gets work. Just not in products that I want.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

:-| <----- Pepsi Jedi's total lack of surprise. (( looked it up, the birrdman on page 66 was Burles.))

I agree. He should not be allowed to do palladium art. Let him do art for books I don't buy. :) I'm not wishing the guy ill. I hope he gets work. Just not in products that I want.

The funny thing with Burles for me is I think his non Palladium art is absolutely phenomenal. His art for Palladium I just.....no I can't like it try as I might.

\m/
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

The funny thing with Burles for me is I think his non Palladium art is absolutely phenomenal. His art for Palladium I just.....no I can't like it try as I might.

You know.. I've seen one or two pieces of his non palladium stuff, and it was fine. I seem to remember a native American piece?

But yes. His art is really really really REALLY not Rifts. Most especially for living things. I know some people like his landscapes but for me those look the same. I've seen his 'Cities' in a number of books. They look like gloopy termite mounds to me.

But yes, I don't dislike the guy personally. I just highly dislike him in THIS media. I want the guy to live a long and happy life. Just keep his art out of my RPGs. :)

Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

While I'm not generally a fan, I thought Burles' work in Lemuria was pretty spot on. The organic/biomantic stuff seems to suit his style very well.
Just keep him away from the high-tech stuff and straight lines..
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Greg Diaczyk

ffranceschi wrote:

RIFTS Underseas 2!!! At last...do you think that it is going to be at the printer before Christmas? And, is there going to be a RIFTS Lemuria 2?

Kevin promised me it wouldn't take as long as Lemuria (5 years) but like Lemuria I'll continue to nag him to get it published :D so who knows.

jaymz wrote:
I TOO am looking forward to teh new Navy book. I imagine it will cover the Hawaiian islands somewhat. Get to it!

It will cover the Pacific Rim (Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam, Philippines, etc.), New Zealand, Hawaii, a small part of Alaska, a small section on Native Americans and their part in the Pacific, a bunch of islands near the Antarctic and a whole ton of undersea colonies throughout the Pacific.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

My only major dissapoiment with the book is the Mauian Order. Yet naother super secret evil organizatin run by someone willing to do anything and everythin including killing his own people. So well hidden that no ones can find it with of course unlimited resources. Kevin and the freelancers really need to get off the rotten apple syndrome with good organizations. How about giving us a new good faction withoit some sort of evil force rotting it from within. Hell give us an evil faction that for once has a good faction doing damage from within.

Otherwiswe for the most part like the book.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sureshot wrote:Hell give us an evil faction that for once has a good faction doing damage from within.

Otherwiswe for the most part like the book.

Um we do have one of those.

Mystic knights and Order of the White Rose :D

\m/
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I never thought lemuria was going to see the light if day but it did and it came out very very well and was worth the wait. Hopefully the new navy/underseas 2 can come out in a more timely fashion. Still I would rather thing take a while and be done right than rushed and bad.

The underseas stuff is a great way to tie in the various distant parts of the world if people start using it as such.
Greg Diaczyk wrote:ffranceschi wrote:

Kevin promised me it wouldn't take as long as Lemuria (5 years) but like Lemuria I'll continue to nag him to get it published :D so who knows.

jaymz wrote:
I TOO am looking forward to teh new Navy book. I imagine it will cover the Hawaiian islands somewhat. Get to it!

It will cover the Pacific Rim (Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam, Philippines, etc.), New Zealand, Hawaii, a small part of Alaska, a small section on Native Americans and their part in the Pacific, a bunch of islands near the Antarctic and a whole ton of undersea colonies throughout the Pacific.
Sureshot
Champion

jaymz wrote:Um we do have one of those.

Mystic knights and Order of the White Rose :D

True yet nowhere in the same league as many of the evil organizations hidden within good factions. The Sunaj and Mauians other similar organizations almost always seem to be better equipped, financed and always seem to have the evil genius willing to kill his own people to future the cause.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Greg Diaczyk

I wouldn't say the Mauian Order is well finances or a powerful organization, nor terribly super secret. Anyone expressing their views can be quickly associated with them, their action a little less so. They are more like the 10% that are more vocal on an issue and get most of the attention while the less vocal majority is quiet and ignored.

Sure some of their members may be high up on the Lemurian food chain, possess forbidden, dark or powerful magic, which may make them dangerous or individually powerful but they are no Sunaj, more like an evil gentlemen’s club that dabbles in illegal activates and vents their anger and frustration on those they dislike like True Atlanteans and Chiang Ku.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Sureshot
Champion

Good point. As I said beyond that I like the book. Just tired of seeing the overused "rotten apple syndrome" in the books when it comes to good organizations.

Enlightened Grognard

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Greg Diaczyk wrote:I wouldn't say the Mauian Order is well finances or a powerful organization, nor terribly super secret. Anyone expressing their views can be quickly associated with them, their action a little less so. They are more like the 10% that are more vocal on an issue and get most of the attention while the less vocal majority is quiet and ignored.

Sure some of their members may be high up on the Lemurian food chain, possess forbidden, dark or powerful magic, which may make them dangerous or individually powerful but they are no Sunaj, more like an evil gentlemen’s club that dabbles in illegal activates and vents their anger and frustration on those they dislike like True Atlanteans and Chiang Ku.

The thing I didn't get, is how do you form a secret society in a population of 100% psychic people?

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Rappanui wrote:Mind blocks.
and speaking in code.
Think Bene Geserit peach from Dune, it was said in plain words, but every phrase and action implied something else.
One of the most impressive physical accomplishments of the Bene Gesserit; the idiomatic terminology used to refer to the manipulation of speech to achieve complete control over the receiver; the production of extraperceptual auditory stimuli capable of implanting a message in an individual's unconscious, thus creating a compulsion to obey. Although Voice is founded on physical knowledge, only the Bene Gesserit were able to exploit for practical purposes the knowledge that others possessed but did not understand.
Use of Voice allowed a Bene Gesserit adept to gain control over uninitiated victims merely by altering the tonal qualities of the voice. Simple instructions or orders were then spoken in Voice and obeyed dutifully.

Voice was most often used to compell a victim to do sometime undesirable to them, or to gleen the truth from an unwilling recipient.

Yeah but there's nothing what so ever to indicate the Lemurian's have anything remotely like that. They just have a secret evil faction in the middle of a society with 100% psionic ability. lol Fool one or two people? ok. Sure. Fool EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN YOUR SOCIETY with psionics? When EVERYONE has them? That's A LOOOOT of foolery goin' on there.

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

THIS isn't a disappointment w/ Lemuria but a a question rather; We know that the New Navy Sea Titans came about due to accidental exposure to a Lemurian Rift accident, but the book makes no mention of it. Why was such an relatively important piece of info left out?
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

keir451 wrote:THIS isn't a disappointment w/ Lemuria but a a question rather; We know that the New Navy Sea Titans came about due to accidental exposure to a Lemurian Rift accident, but the book makes no mention of it. Why was such an relatively important piece of info left out?

Honestly thats probably something better put in a new navy book. The lemuria book was pretty packed as is and they already bumped things like the shrieker so its likely one of those things that would have been nice but not enough room. The lemurians may not have been aware that an accident with something they were working on caused the titans to begin with.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I thought I saw it in there somewhere in passing. Something to the tune of it being a one in a billion fluke that they couldn't reproduce even if they wanted to.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I thought I saw it in there somewhere in passing. Something to the tune of it being a one in a billion fluke that they couldn't reproduce even if they wanted to.

It is at this point I will remind people that Lemuria has been experimenting with ways to "turn on" the M.D.C. gene in things. I suspect whatever caused the Sea Titans was related to that and whatever they did I am rather sure they very much would WANT to replicate it. So that they have not has certain implications... 1. they cannot or 2. the person who can do it isn't telling anyone (and is likely evil) or 3. the process works but it has some terrible, terrible cost (mass death of sea life?) and so it was "buried" and is now only known to a select few.

Return to “Rifts®”