Forum or Wiki

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Forum or Wiki

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I'm taking part(playing and Running) several online games and I was wondering what people think is the best way to keep the game information organized....Host a forum so that everyone can post their characters and put down information or should the game start a Wiki about the game and keep in game information that way?

What are the pros and cons of each method?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Forum or Wiki

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I think you should just make a well organized thread HERE. :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Rockwolf66 wrote:I'm taking part(playing and Running) several online games and I was wondering what people think is the best way to keep the game information organized....Host a forum so that everyone can post their characters and put down information or should the game start a Wiki about the game and keep in game information that way?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Forums, like this one, are easier typically for the average person to take part in.

Wikis I think are for a more polished look. Maybe have the players use a forum for themselves to post things (proboards is pretty simple to use and is free) and the GM use a wiki to post the more polished versions of thing (ie new armour and weapons etc)

I did a forum first. I am doing a wiki now. Mostly because I want the more polished look a wiki allows for. Forums are definitely better imo for interaction though wiki does have a blog setup that can be used.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I have a forum for my group, but I have been thinking along the lines of what Jaymz is doing for a bit now. So my answer is: Both! Use a forum of quick and easy communication and display of player ideas and re-caps of sessions (several of us keep in-character game journals).
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard

Return to “G.M.s Forum”