What do you think happed to NORAD?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you think happed to NORAD?

Unread post by gaby »

I hope KS will say it got Rifted to another Dimension.

Well it my game Norad was rifted in time by the Great Cataclysm, it reapper in 81:p.a.it,s pop:20500 Humans.

It have a M.D wall around it.It high tech military have kepped Monsters and Demons at bay.

By 105:p.a ther pop:49200,99%humans thers 1% non-human.

I am still wokring on some things.

what do you think?
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

It blew up.
((Its in the Chaos Earth main book))
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i figure the following.

in 2098 the Cheyenne Mountain complex has been expanded with an enlarged presidental survival shelter, backup electronic library of congress storage (copies of the library of congress stored electronically), and NEMA national command.

the yellowstone eruption didn't "take out" the facility, but rather buried it under enough debris to eliminate communication and trap anyone inside.

so while its still there, the mountain looks different, the location has been lost, and you could walk right by the spot of the old entrances and never find it.

works out to the same thing as the official story, but makes a bit more sense.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

all i know of your version is that its a called delta city and it's the roughly the same as "denver" in new gen.

i just looked at what we know to be there in RL, and extropolated. i imagine you did too.

Logic reduces the possible paths when working from the same data points.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:Pompei?

Probably more like Herculanum. (The city on the opposite side of Vensuvius, IIRC).
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

as for Norad it would sealed off one way or another, but the fate of the 3 bases around Colorado Springs is the question if they surivied then norad has a good chance of making thru it if not then Norad is buried and the people who did survive wouldn't last long, remember a super volcano just went off and North America is just at beginning of a nuclear winter which no one has a clue when it going to end
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

my bad but i wasnt counting norad as a base
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

where is Schriever located at?, this is the first time i heard of that base

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

i used NORAD in a Rifts game.
a company of Mercs came across and set up shop there.
It had its own factories, ect in another mountain nearby connected by tunnels

The Merc company started to build an Army of FC Borgs along the lines of Russian Ultra-Borgs...having visited Russia a year before, and pirated out plans for many of the borg models of various warlords and solvetski...

Archie3 noticed comms coming from this base due to his Satilite Comms. He established a friendship with them, traded info, and Archie3 did a Linkup to their base to take over the automation of the factory in a partnership. He added his knowlege of Mechnoid Crystals to their designs. And with Codes found in Norad, Archie3 got more access to the Moon's Archie's data cmputers. Archie3 discovered the secret of Chromium Armor, and that the Norad factory was already set up to make it for a Samas-type of amor *wink*...Archie3 modified a section of the factory to build Chromium Armor for the Cyborg Army...
We had Glitter-Thunderstorms, Glitter-Tigerborgs, and the like...
it was fun...

Anyways, thats what i did with Norad in my games ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Josh Sinsapaugh

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:It blew up.

What he said.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

they losted contact with NORAD, so noones knows for sure, so norad could be gone or in lock down trying to wait out the weather to clean up, and remember a super-volcano just went off. or the acrhie2 went nuts on them and killed them

Josh Sinsapaugh

I think that guy with the awesome sig pic who posted above hit the nail on the head.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I think that guy with the awesome sig pic who posted above hit the nail on the head.

is that sailor moon??????

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Mecha-Viper wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I think that guy with the awesome sig pic who posted above hit the nail on the head.

Looks more like CardCaptor Sakura.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Josh Sinsapaugh

Mecha-Viper wrote:

:thwak:

NO!!!!

Its CCS.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

:eek: :eek: now why someone would use a sig with a ten year old girl , does strike me as odd and kinda creeply and make me wonder :rolleyes: :P

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

and here i thought FLHL was a weird story

Josh Sinsapaugh

Mecha-Viper wrote::eek: :eek: now why someone would use a sig with a ten year old girl , does strike me as odd and kinda creeply and make me wonder :rolleyes: :P

In a few of the pictures she is 10, in a few she is 11.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

ok so you like little girls, to each their own

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Angryjack wrote:Just rmemeber. No one gets in the way in the love a boy feels between him.. and his Giant Robot..

Giant robot what?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Depends on the NORAD facility. I've personalyl been in the rather large NORAD control centre in North Bay Ontario Canada that would certainly be a component of CS Iron Heart by 100 PA.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Omegan Order?
Delta City?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

knightlt wrote:Wasnt counting it either. Peterson, Schriever, AF Academy (prolly the one you werent counting ) and Fort Carson.

You sure AFA isn't part of Schriever? I know Cheyenne Mountain is part of Peterson.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:It blew up.

What he said.
How are you going to blow up NORAD? That is like blowing up McDonalds. The Chyenne Mountain Facility is only ONE location.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Mecha-Viper wrote:

Looks more like CardCaptor Sakura.

I thought it was Care Bares :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rift Jumper wrote:NORAD go BOOM!!!!!

Cheyenne Mountain went boom not NORAD.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Zer0 Kay wrote:

actually, Cheyenne Mountain is geologically stable. thats why they chose it to house the facility.

according to KS:
the yellowstone "super-volcano" erupted and destroyed it.

according to actual physics and science...
the facility would be covered in enough to ash and debrie to seal it off, and eventually the supplies would run out.

it got cut off, and never rescued.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Beatleguise wrote:NORAD is mispelled, it was suppose to actually be NORAN , Meaning they no ran, so they no exist, hehe.
:thwak: :nh: Go home... oh wait you probably are... go out.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

actually, Cheyenne Mountain is geologically stable. thats why they chose it to house the facility.

according to KS:

the facility would be covered in enough to ash and debrie to seal it off, and eventually the supplies would run out.

That is going off the beleif that the military would be stupid enough to not have an alternate exit. I'd figure it's likely an exit into some valley.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

according to KS:

That is going off the beleif that the military would be stupid enough to not have an alternate exit. I'd figure it's likely an exit into some valley.
well its an airforce building :-P

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Which part of it?

If you mean Cheyenne Mountain, then the Great God says it's gone, and after seeing what happened in the "movie" SUPERVOLCANO... A caldera 30 MILES by 45 MILES suddenly opening up is pretty much going to destroy A LOT of the continental US's above and below ground structures.

Especially when you consider that Kevin had it erupting for, what? Almost two WEEKS...(been a while since I checked my Chaos Earth.)

For more, use this link:
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/interactive/interactive.html

It will (hopefully) take you to an interactive slideshow as to how a supervolcano is born, and what MIGHT happen. The last slide shows about 80% or more of the US west of Big Muddy being under between 20 and 1 FOOT of ash, and the text lists EVERYTHING within 400 miles of Yellowstone as GONE.

In the movie, the eruption lasted about 7 days, and half or so of the US was devastated to the point of being next to a write-off, and 20% of the continental US as being rendered "unusable" (ie: sterilized).

NORAD North (in the Canadaian Shield) would still be fine, as would almost all of the DEW LINE stations in the Canadian and Alaskan Arctic, etc.

As for the mountain...how long can it recycle used air? Here's a tip: make-up a number. It's unlikely anyone whom hasn't served IN the mountain would have access to that little tidbit. ;) It already has a food and water supply for something like 2-3000 people for a year or more. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

the fact noone know what happened but a offiicer saying he heard it thru the grapevine. odds are the norad complex was knocked offline and bury as well as well as the bases around it, but its still anyones guess

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Zer0 Kay wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

according to KS:

the entire continent of north america was buried in 6 feet of ash. the west was covered in over 12 feet due to the jetstream and the pacific "ring of fire". colorado would also get huge amounts of ejecta from the yellowstone eruption, and thats heavier rock.

NORAD has dozens of exits. two big main ones, and lots of ones that double as airshafts.

but with 12 or more feet of ash and rock falling from the sky, all of those exits will be blocked. unless you think the airforce has an emergancy exit through the center of the earth. :)

it would not be unlike being snowed in up in the mountains. your means of exit is blocked, and even if you could get out, where would you go?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the entire continent of north america was buried in 6 feet of ash. the west was covered in over 12 feet due to the jetstream and the pacific "ring of fire". colorado would also get huge amounts of ejecta from the yellowstone eruption, and thats heavier rock.

NORAD has dozens of exits. two big main ones, and lots of ones that double as airshafts.

but with 12 or more feet of ash and rock falling from the sky, all of those exits will be blocked. unless you think the airforce has an emergancy exit through the center of the earth. :)

it would not be unlike being snowed in up in the mountains. your means of exit is blocked, and even if you could get out, where would you go?

Just shows that while KS has a great imagination, and is a somewhat good writer - if the obvious typos and consistency errors didn't keep creeping in he'd be even better that that! ;) - his knowledge of "reality" sucks. Even if Yellowstone's magma chamber had that much ejectable magma in it, Yellowstone doesn't have that much rock to be TURNED into ash between the magma chamber and the surface! (After all, the magma chamber doesn't cause volcanic ash...the solidified rock of the volcano destroyed in the process of the magma erupting is what causes it.

If you were able to collect every single nanogram of volcanic ash released by a single volcanic event (let's use Mount St. Hellens), and place that ash in a single pile, pack it down to remove 99.9+% of the air, you would have a slab of stone almost exactly matching the piece of the mountain lost in the blow-out

Yellowstone doesn't have enough rock to cover the US 6-12 inches deep...let alone North America! Speading the rock of Yellowstone 1 metre deep in the form of ash, that is on the order of about 800,000 square kilometres, and the US is 9.6 MILLION square kilometres!
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Perhaps the greatest challenge faced by Palladium books, and the thing that seperates it from almost every other major RPG, the primary writer/editor is not particularly logical-matmatical in leaning.

I mean, really, the guys who wrote that Damned Dungeon game are so logical and precise their stool must be cubic.

Meanwhile Kevin focuses on the creative aspects of the game at the expense of game consistency. the result is a cooler game, but very frustrating for more logically inclined people to work with.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Amen bruddah!

Love the game(s)...even if the inconsistancies, outright contradictions, and proverbial "EXCUSE ME?!" moments toss me for a loop! :D
Fnord

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Re: What do you think happed to NORAD?

well guess we got a answer in rifter 47 & 48

sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

I think it was burried. I think no one really knows...because it was burried and all communication was lost. but I suspect they will unbury it some time.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

sirkermittsg wrote:I think it was burried. I think no one really knows...because it was burried and all communication was lost. but I suspect they will unbury it some time.

rifter 47 gives as great idea of what might have been going on there

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re:

Unread post by keir451 »

Jefffar wrote:Perhaps the greatest challenge faced by Palladium books, and the thing that seperates it from almost every other major RPG, the primary writer/editor is not particularly logical-matmatical in leaning.

I mean, really, the guys who wrote that Damned Dungeon game are so logical and precise their stool must be cubic.

Meanwhile Kevin focuses on the creative aspects of the game at the expense of game consistency. the result is a cooler game, but very frustrating for more logically inclined people to work with.

Hear, Hear!!! I run into those very problems as I'm fairly logical and keep finding "gaps" that I have to fill in. Yet I still keep playing, it's like an addiction! "Hey, man gimme my Rifts!!" "I NEED it, man!"
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”