MiO 2?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

MiO 2?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) Would you want the Mutants in Orbit updated?
2) If you were to update the Mutants in Orbit book what would you include, expand, change?

3) what would happen with mars?

4) what would happen with the space stations?

5) what would happen with the moon colonies?

6) what equipment changes would you want?

7) would you want the rifts section dropped from the book?

1) If they are going to mess up the book like they did with RUE. Then Frell No!
2) Make the char creation less abbreviated. Or Make the MiO book more into a Main Book then a supplement book. They can import some texts from the spaced based HU books to fill out some of the space equipment and ships stuff.

3) Mars: ...... *shrugs* more human habitats. Maybe a few at the poles created in the recent game time to move away from the bug infested parts of the planet.
4) Each of the Earth moon L points having a set of colony stations. (think gundam'ism)
5) Moon: having several colonies. City-state'ish, with them forming a NATO like alliance. With some independent colonies also.
6) more pre-made ship designs. and customization guidelines. this is where PB can bring in the ship construction text from HU.
7) yes.
However, do not see it happening unless PB makes a separate 'rifts orbititals' book.
If it was a combined book I would like to have the Rifts conversion notes in a small section in the back of the book section. Much like PB did with Scrapers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rali
Hero

Re: MiO 2?

Unread post by Rali »

I would rather have a stand-alone spacefaring anthro/furry game set in its own fictional part of the megaverse.

IMHO, MiO was a flawed and underwhelming sourcebook, mostly because it tried to server both Rifts and AtB settings. So, if, god-forbid, Kevin were to authorize another MiO sourcebook, it would have to focus on one setting to do itself justice.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd hope that a revised Mutants in orbit sourcebook would be an ATB only book..and that rifts would get it's own "RIFTS: Space" book.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I'd like to see a separate setting that focuses on the Hard Sci-Fi genre. Create a setting with space stations, asteroid miners, planetary colonies, and heroes battling against the challenges of cold, hard space as much as (or more than) they battle against the villains of the story. No mecha, no big alien invasions, no magic, and no psionics. All of those can be added later by individual GMs playing their own game.

$0.02
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

I'd like to see the Rifts contents dropped entirely. The Rifts stuff about giant mecha and a Rifts-addled bug-infested Mars just didn't fit at all. That being said though, I'm not sure if MiO is worth relaunching. The original book had a sort of 50s to 70s hard SF feel that Kevin Siembieda obviously really dug because it's the era he grew up with. And while I love the hell out of that low-tech space survival thing myself, I love it as someone looking back on older and clunkier sci-fi than the stuff I grew up with myself. And while there's probably a few other oldschool dorks like me out there who can dig that retro, metal-cans-in-orbit-in-an-age-before-real-computers vibe, I'm not sure if a setting that's so obviously built on ideas that were already old when cyberpunk reared its head is a setting that's commercially viable.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

*chuckles*
As I was rereading rallan's post I had a thought. PB could make a flip sided MiO book with reading it from one side it is a ATB MiO book. The if flipped over top to bottom, the it could read as a RiO book. That way while both aspects are a part of the book, both aspects are separated from each other by the page orientation.
I for one would be all for putting the UPC & ISBN bar codes on the Rifts in Orbit cover of the book if PB made it like this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
1) Would you want the Mutants in Orbit updated?

About the only way I'd want to see that happen is if it incorporated portions of TMNT Guide to the Galaxy, and Trans-dimensional TMNT. But given the licensing involved...that won't happen.

2) If you were to update the Mutants in Orbit book what would you include, expand, change?

For starters, I think it's asinine to think that no one is going to figure out a way to get back down to Earth. Especially, the Yuro station. As soon as one of those nationalities aboard that station realize that there are sizable forces in their respective nationalities they're going to do everything in their power to discreetly get their attention and enlist their help in exerting total dominance over the station. I think the French aboard the Yuro aren't gonna find any love from their counterparts below though, the British below are gonna be about useless to those on the Yuro, but the Danish humans aboard the Yuro as gonna be absolutely tickled to find out about Skandia.

3) what would happen with mars?

I really didn't like the way things went down with Mars...I'd like to think it would be a 50/50 split with a constant war of insects vs. inhabitants. Though I would like to see something ominous with the Cydonia region and the "face of mars".

4) what would happen with the space stations?

Aside from the artwork I'd probably leave it as is...it's tongue in cheek anyways.

5) what would happen with the moon colonies?

I'm fine with it the way it is...but I'd like to see more colonies on the moons of other planets.

6) what equipment changes would you want?

It needs to be as low tech as possible while still being remotely plausible...

7) would you want the rifts section dropped from the book?

Yes, Rifts is just an AtB supplement run amok which has run it's course anyways...

In my earlier AtB campaigns, one of the things I usually had happen is that the human Danish wing of the Yuro usually make first contact with SAECSN and ultimately assassinate Saint Jean-Marie and take over. But in AtB2 I just have them make contact with Skandia. They convince them to ally with SAECSN, and ultimately assassinate Saint Jean-Marie in an attempt to quell the religious/spiritual extremism they have going on and get SAECSN assets under Skandian control before the French aboard the Yuro ever catch wind of any of this. There is no way the SAECSN are gonna fight off the 18,000,000+ population of the New France alliance/horde so Skandia is going to have to help the SAECSN secure a foothold in the British Isles (again, all whilst trying to keep this from the British aboard the Yuro). Then the Danish aboard the Yuro will get the EoH and Skandia together that way there are no issues with Saint Jean-Marie/SAECSN and New Kennel (because by this time Saint Jean-Marie is dead and that whole religious/spiritual extremism has been squashed). And then it goes from there...this is one of those campaigns that goes years and years and kind of plays out intermittently throughout the PCs careers until they put the pieces together...and then sometime later I'll muck it up by bringing in the last great Armadas of the Human Federation vs. the Triceratons which have pretty much reigned Armageddon throughout all the known inhabitable planets of Guide to the Galaxy space and Earth is the last known suitable planet they all hope to conquer/colonize for themselves. The battle in spaces is pretty much cataclysmic for both sides with the only survivors making it to the Earth's surface being 1 psychopathic General, 3 high commanders, 450 commandos, and 18 psi-tech commandos who attempt to rebuild the glorious Triceraton empire from little to nothing...
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”