Help with a Weapons Expert Character

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mercdog
Hero

Re: Help with a Weapons Expert Character

Unread post by Mercdog »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:How would I give a Hardware: Weapons Expert an edge with guns. He might get some cybernetic enhancements to give him an edge as a gunslinger/gunfighter. But he will not get bionics due to the fact he will lose his sense of touch and hinder his ability to be a weaponsmith. Would you see a Weapons Expert as also being a Safe Cracker? Also what suggestion could you give me to make him an original character? I have thought maybe he was also a Supersoldier if that would be allow to be combined with the Hardware: Weapons Expert. The attributes below are the character's attrbiutes with out Physical Skill bonues added in.
Attributes: I.Q.: 21; M.E.: 15, M.A.: 20; P.S.: 15; P.P.: 24; P.E.: 15; P.B.: 18; Spd.: 21

Off the top of my head, the character could have grown up on the wrong side of the tracks, apprenticing to a safecracker or locksmith, but graduated to specializing in weapons modification later when he discovered a love and talent for guns.

Later arrested in an arms deal sting, he volunteered to be part of a super soldier program in exchange for a reduced sentence. As a result of the program, which involved some "wetware" organic circuitry implanted throughout his nervous system, he developed vastly increased reflexes. (If you have access to Powers Unlimited 2, the SupSol enhancements of Increased Agility and Dexterity, the Mind and Body are More Attuned, and/or Phenomenal Balance could be good choices to provide an "edge". If you don't, then the process could have given him the power of Extraordinary P.P., but I wouldn't allow any other superpowers. If you want to stick with cybernetics, a simple cyber eye with laser targeting capability could be used.)

Basically a good person at heart, now he tries to put his talents to positive use for the community. (Or, he's serving a term with the military/law enforcement organization for who he volunteered to undergo the SupSol process.)

All of his skill programs would be based on his "Hardware" legacy, and he wouldn't get any other benefits from the Super Soldier program aside from the above mentioned enhancements.
Last edited by Mercdog on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

There are a few ways to spruce the character up, but first and foremost, don't be afraid to use your imagination to give him a good background and personality. Was he a military expert, a professional hunter growing up against the best game in the world and having more expertise in weapons than a hunter/vigilante? An alien weapons expert would have access to greater weapons and alloys, in one game we had a True Atlantean Weapons Expert who combined their knowledge with alien tech and magic tattoos like mystical arrows for his Penetrator bow to have a devastating edge.

Another thing to really make them pop? Combine their standard bonuses with a skill in Palladium Fantasy RPG. In the weapon proficiencies, they have W.P.: Modern Weapons. In short, it lets characters use their PP bonuses with firearms, even if they can't clean or reload the gun. Mix this with other possibilities like Special traits in Lone Star, best explained as how some people are naturally good at sports, skills, etc. One of them is Defined Talent, granting either a 20% bonus to any two related skills, extra edges in HTH combat, or even an extra attack and skill with firearms. Together, you have someone who may as well have been born with a gun or whatever weapon they have in their hands!

Century Station and Gramercy Island also have weapon masters who use cutting edge technology to create their own firearms, items like pistols that use the equivalent to a micronized electromagnetic drive system to propel projectiles the size of a BB with the speed of a bullet. Having a gun that fires items doing 3-4D6 and holding 100 in a clip that would normally hold 10-150 bullets can give you an edge, but also may require making your guns and ammo rather than buying it from shops.

Maybe your weapons expert combines two or more techniques in his ammo, like guns loaded with flechettes coated with some kind of drug, or even something like high Scoville unit hot sauce to cause greater pain or irritation to their prey. You can expand a weapon's caliber, ammunition, suppress muzzle flash, make silencers, and create equivalent weapons using ideas from modern science, like the Metal Storm guns. Maybe you have a laser rifle with backpack generator as well as a few interchangeable heads to blast opponents with various symbols or stencils on them like a beam splitter. Or make chemical laser delivery systems, the military has those in real life. There are plenty of possibilities, the only limits are your imagination and what you can put into a game.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:What would best way starting to give him cybernetics with out making him into a cyborg character found in HU. I would like a budget for cybernetic more in line with N&SS. I want cybernetics to enhance his P.P. and any that help with using weapons. What would be the penalties for having one bionic arm in HU? Also if a gm would allow them what would be some good Rifts cybernetics I could get made in HU?

You need to enhance his PP of 24???
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

How about a eugenics enhancement....

they say you can get up to 3 Eugenic enhancements without having to change your power category
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Considering that normal Average Joe humans have a PP of 8-11(GM's Guide, pg 24), even 24 is pretty high for a guy not having any superpowers to speak of. Why do you need to further enhance this? Is it a requirement of the GM or are you just doing that because you want to enhance it even further?

Looking at the character stats-wise, you might gain a small increase(such as the +2 you mentioned) in PP and PS by picking you secondary skills cleverly enough.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:I was thinking that the organization that give him his cybernetics wanted him to have the best P.P. Also what cybernetics and bionics from Rifts would be good for him? I would like to explain possibly in his bio how those cybernetics and bionic are in HU.

How about a cybernetic eye? Perhaps Thermo, IR or UV, depending on your preferences. You could have a laser eye, which is just another weapon. Any accident would be a good reason to get one, and being a weapons expert would account for the rest. Perhaps the gun has a UV/IR beam which can be seen by the eye...giving you additional bonus to hit.

Other ideas as I think of them...
Start by looking at the HWE's in the books, Hairtrigger GI 109 is a good example.

Then add in all sorts of weapons not just standard ones, be it a lightblade or satellite based laser.

Your super suit should be a storehouse of weapons (an example would be Warhawk from Mutant Underground).

Another balanced example for you is Soundwave in Villains Unlimited.

You might even make a weapons expert who doesn't use guns...wrist blasters, ancient weapons, a satellite, perhaps a tank...
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
tamorrison
D-Bee

Unread post by tamorrison »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:How would I give a Hardware: Weapons Expert an edge with guns. He might get some cybernetic enhancements to give him an edge as a gunslinger/gunfighter. But he will not get bionics due to the fact he will lose his sense of touch and hinder his ability to be a weaponsmith. Would you see a Weapons Expert as also being a Safe Cracker? Also what suggestion could you give me to make him an original character? I have thought maybe he was also a Supersoldier if that would be allow to be combined with the Hardware: Weapons Expert. The attributes below are the character's attrbiutes with out Physical Skill bonues added in.
Attributes: I.Q.: 21; M.E.: 15, M.A.: 20; P.S.: 15; P.P.: 24; P.E.: 15; P.B.: 18; Spd.: 21

Pardon me for asking the obvious question, but how the heck did you roll so high during character generation with three six-sided dice? (21+15+20+15+24+15+18+21)/8 = 18.625 before the addition of the physical skill bonuses.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

tamorrison wrote:

Pardon me for asking the obvious question, but how the heck did you roll so high during character generation with three six-sided dice? (21+15+20+15+24+15+18+21)/8 = 18.625 before the addition of the physical skill bonuses.

Keep in mind, if on the 3D6 roll you roll a total of 16, 17, or 18 you get to roll an extra 1D6. If on the extra D6 you roll a "6", then you get one last 1D6. This could result in a possible starting attribute of 30.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Of course, you could just "bump" his prowess to 26 since it would still be within book legal limits.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I would Trade 6 points of PB to add to PP.
New PB becomes 12 and PP becomes 30.

Weapons Experts dont need to be pretty ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Another way of doing this and keeping it book legal would be to use the power category "Super Invention".
Roll skills as Hardware Weapons
Abilities/items:
Battlesuit
Powers:
  • Weapon Melding
  • Lightning Reflexes
If you wanted to go a little further:
Helmet/Eye Wear/Goggles
Powers
  • Targeting
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I would look at Bionic optics to see and target better. I would also look at a palm link to tie in sensors in the weapons to a targeting computer that compiles data from the weapon and Bionic optics. Think of the Bionics as a way to link and integrate the weapons and Hero into a single being.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Heroes Unlimited 1st edition revised for Hardware use to give Hardware weapon guys +1 to
aim/burst weapons. Their favorite weapons was given a +2 to aim/burst. Now as NMI said
give him a cyber eye (+1 to a targeting). You can modify the gun to give it superior balance
(+1 to aim) or recoil diminishers (+1 to burst). You could design a helmet that has HUD
display or something along those lines. There is no reason to turn a normal guy cyber arms or
anything like that. There are ways to get Punisher like shooting abilities without having to
change the character.
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

The weapons expert already has an edge with guns as noted plus you can build heat seeking ammo to increase the chance to hit. N&SS implants can be bought and added on without being full blown cybernetics.

The question in my mind is what are you trying to do? A high pp doesn't give you crap with modern weapons unless you're a gunslinger. Do you have a plan list for this character?
CES
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

A Hardware Weapons expert I made for a player (I will make characters as some players are just too lazy to make their own) was a chemist who filled all of his bullets with a specially designed nitro glycerin which had a buffer/delay on exploding from impact so it wouldn't blow up in his gun or from being jostled. Now if you're only wanting increased PP then give him "wired reflexes". That his nervous system has been rewired to boost the reactions, which could result in the minor power Extraordinary PP. But if we're only talking about edge... design cool guns? Not just for more damage but to do neat things... like a chainsaw rocket launcher with heat seaking chainsaws.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Mercdog wrote:

Off the top of my head, the character could have grown up on the wrong side of the tracks, apprenticing to a safecracker or locksmith, but graduated to specializing in weapons modification later when he discovered a love and talent for guns.

Later arrested in an arms deal sting, he volunteered to be part of a super soldier program in exchange for a reduced sentence. As a result of the program, which involved some "wetware" organic circuitry implanted throughout his nervous system, he developed vastly increased reflexes. (If you have access to Powers Unlimited 2, the SupSol enhancements of Increased Agility and Dexterity, the Mind and Body are More Attuned, and/or Phenomenal Balance could be good choices to provide an "edge". If you don't, then the process could have given him the power of Extraordinary P.P., but I wouldn't allow any other superpowers. If you want to stick with cybernetics, a simple cyber eye with laser targeting capability could be used.)

Basically a good person at heart, now he tries to put his talents to positive use for the community. (Or, he's serving a term with the military/law enforcement organization for who he volunteered to undergo the SupSol process.)

All of his skill programs would be based on his "Hardware" legacy, and he wouldn't get any other benefits from the Super Soldier program aside from the above mentioned enhancements.

What about targeting?
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

AlanGunhouse wrote:
Mercdog wrote:

What about targeting?

Do you mean the W.P. Targeting? I don't believe that is valid for use with firearms is it?
If you mean the super power, I didn't have the book that it is found in when I wrote the above, but hey, if you wanted to include it, I probably wouldn't object.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Mercdog wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:
Mercdog wrote:

What about targeting?

Do you mean the W.P. Targeting? I don't believe that is valid for use with firearms is it?
If you mean the super power, I didn't have the book that it is found in when I wrote the above, but hey, if you wanted to include it, I probably wouldn't object.

I think there is a super-soldier version of the ability, that was the one I meant.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:(snip) power category "Super Invention".

I've seen this mentioned before in other posts, can someone tell me which book this is in ? I've seen people mention "Super Invention" as a power and "Super Inventor" as a class. Is there both a class and a power ? :?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Razzinold wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:(snip) power category "Super Invention".

I've seen this mentioned before in other posts, can someone tell me which book this is in ? I've seen people mention "Super Invention" as a power and "Super Inventor" as a class. Is there both a class and a power ? :?

Powers Unlimited 2
Super Inventor is the class and invention is what they make :D

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”