Archie's production capabilities ..

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Re: Archie's production capabilities ..

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Slight001 wrote:As far as ground relays are concerned that is something that would create obvious weak points in his chain of command... what's this about a satellite? I must have missed something... When did ARCHIE-3 get a satellite (which book as well)?

It was official material in a Rifter (sorry can't remember which one), Archie has access to a Cyberworks satellite and can use it to communicate to his units anywhere in North America.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

grandmaster z0b wrote:
Slight001 wrote:As far as ground relays are concerned that is something that would create obvious weak points in his chain of command... what's this about a satellite? I must have missed something... When did ARCHIE-3 get a satellite (which book as well)?

It was official material in a Rifter (sorry can't remember which one), Archie has access to a Cyberworks satellite and can use it to communicate to his units anywhere in North America.

Which makes his military the deadliest military on the continent.

Instant comm anywhere on north america ..

Means Archie see's when / what CS soilder's attempt to retreat into known hostile territory .. to be thought dead .. only to know they are still alive .. because his bots can follow an watch ..

Means nothing the CS can do .. will surprise Archie .. in the least ..
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Lenwen wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:

Means Archie see's when / what CS soilder's attempt to retreat into known hostile territory .. to be thought dead .. only to know they are still alive .. because his bots can follow an watch ..

And as SB1 states he can focus on up to 10,000 conversations at once, meaning in my mind that he could direct 10,000 bots anywhere he can get a satellite signal to them. 10,000 bots reacting with the speed of a supercomputer, and add in Hagan for human perspective, and you're looking at a nasty group of robots all fighting in perfect sync with each other...*shudder*
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dr Megaverse wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:

And as SB1 states he can focus on up to 10,000 conversations at once, meaning in my mind that he could direct 10,000 bots anywhere he can get a satellite signal to them. 10,000 bots reacting with the speed of a supercomputer, and add in Hagan for human perspective, and you're looking at a nasty group of robots all fighting in perfect sync with each other...*shudder*

Actually he could instantly communicate to 10,000 Master bots .. which each could have a squad 6-10 , platoon 40 , or a brigade 1,920 other robots under it ..

Which means Archie's military .. can literally move and adjust its movement at the speed of thought ..
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

i always thought that archie has access to a satellite was complete and pure bs , archie 7 knows communications are coming from earth and have access to one of the satellites but doesn't alert anyone in CAN republic about it.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:i always thought that archie has access to a satellite was complete and pure bs , archie 7 knows communications are coming from earth and have access to one of the satellites but doesn't alert anyone in CAN republic about it.

ARCHIE-7 isn't sentient and without instructions to notify anyone of the communication it's not going to. It just doesn't have the kind of programming that would have it display that kind of initiative.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:i always thought that archie has access to a satellite was complete and pure bs , archie 7 knows communications are coming from earth and have access to one of the satellites but doesn't alert anyone in CAN republic about it.

ARCHIE-7 isn't sentient and without instructions to notify anyone of the communication it's not going to. It just doesn't have the kind of programming that would have it display that kind of initiative.

yeah that lets put the satellites up and not monitor them or anything happening on rifts earth, or get status reports for the sateilles
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nightmask
Palladin

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

yeah that lets put the satellites up and not monitor them or anything happening on rifts earth, or get status reports for the sateilles

ARCHIE-3 has valid access codes, security systems don't generally go 'hey authorized user X made us of me on this date at this time', they report on things that don't fit what they expect. Plus you're assuming that ARCHIE-7 has reason to believe the access code it's receiving is from the Earth. All it knows is someone with a valid user code made use of the satellite, it doesn't know really where just that it was okay. Without instructions otherwise it has zero reason to care or notify anyone that ARCHIE-3 used their satellite.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

What's the upload and download rates? Latency?

What about satellite position? ie where in the sky is it? is it orbital or locked?

So this now raises the question, for me at least... how easy is it to talk to a satellite? My TV is a position locked dish that requires a fairly clean line of sight. This to me makes me think it's not realtime communications without at least one stable(IE likely not moving or not moving erratically such as in combat...) uplink to the satellite.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Slight001 wrote:What's the upload and download rates? Latency?

What about satellite position? ie where in the sky is it? is it orbital or locked?

So this now raises the question, for me at least... how easy is it to talk to a satellite? My TV is a position locked dish that requires a fairly clean line of sight. This to me makes me think it's not realtime communications without at least one stable(IE likely not moving or not moving erratically such as in combat...) uplink to the satellite.

Its a geo-synch satellite which stays directly over the eastern seaboard.

Communication is instant to and from the satellite.

It is a satellite from the golden age of man according to the write up. (means its super high tech)
Nightmask
Palladin

I'd definitely like to see some actual examples of ARCHIE-3 tech that's not being nerfed and his full production capabilities covered. Glitter Tanks and Bots armed with upgraded Boom Guns, advanced aircraft bots armed with his high end rail guns and full scanning capabilities to provide extensive troop information to provide to the ground troops, and so on. At least a dozen different types of robots to reflect his real advanced potential.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Nightmask wrote:I'd definitely like to see some actual examples of ARCHIE-3 tech that's not being nerfed and his full production capabilities covered. Glitter Tanks and Bots armed with upgraded Boom Guns, advanced aircraft bots armed with his high end rail guns and full scanning capabilities to provide extensive troop information to provide to the ground troops, and so on. At least a dozen different types of robots to reflect his real advanced potential.

no doubt ..

when I read about the botwielers .. able to smell .. SMELL !!!! 60,000 scents .. and LEARN !!! up to 20,000 NEW scents !!!

I was like holy CRAP !!

That is badass .. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I'd definitely like to see some actual examples of ARCHIE-3 tech that's not being nerfed and his full production capabilities covered. Glitter Tanks and Bots armed with upgraded Boom Guns, advanced aircraft bots armed with his high end rail guns and full scanning capabilities to provide extensive troop information to provide to the ground troops, and so on. At least a dozen different types of robots to reflect his real advanced potential.

no doubt ..

when I read about the botwielers .. able to smell .. SMELL !!!! 60,000 scents .. and LEARN !!! up to 20,000 NEW scents !!!

I was like holy CRAP !!

I'm surprised we haven't seen any real fan work on that part, have ARCHIE-3 really styling instead of just a few bots and all those Shemarrian fan work instead.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Nightmask wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

no doubt ..

I was like holy CRAP !!

I'm surprised we haven't seen any real fan work on that part, have ARCHIE-3 really styling instead of just a few bots and all those Shemarrian fan work instead.

No doubt ..

I just can not wait for even a small peak at what archie's real tech level is at .. he should by all estimations bere minimum .. be at LEAST .. on par with the 3 galaxies .. if not have even surpassed them in some area's ..
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

ARCHIE-3 has valid access codes, security systems don't generally go 'hey authorized user X made us of me on this date at this time', they report on things that don't fit what they expect. Plus you're assuming that ARCHIE-7 has reason to believe the access code it's receiving is from the Earth. All it knows is someone with a valid user code made use of the satellite, it doesn't know really where just that it was okay. Without instructions otherwise it has zero reason to care or notify anyone that ARCHIE-3 used their satellite.

yup and no one human on the moon knows about why , this is one of those things get sended to a department head , but yet nothing happens

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

yup and no one human on the moon knows about why , this is one of those things get sended to a department head , but yet nothing happens

It's no harder to believe than Jericho Holmes surviving.....
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Dr Megaverse wrote:It's no harder to believe than Jericho Holmes surviving.....

i'm not even going to start about that between the canon from SOT and wb 23, and the distanse he travel in that time frame, doesnt make sense useless he was travelling around in a circle

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

TheOttoman wrote:
keir451 wrote:I also factor in a lot of things, like terrain, kinda hard to go 200+ when you're in a dense forest. Tho' that adds to the possibilty of "missing" a shot. Generally "flavor text" for the combat, it means you or they hit something else instead as your opponent dodges behind a rock or a tree.
In the end it comes down to what I've experienced vs what you've experienced. Our experiences hold true for us individually but not together.

I take it, you've never seen the movie Predator. That's a great excercise in how superior optics and firepower effectively kill lower skilled / equiped targets with ease.

LOL Predator.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:ARCHIE-3 has valid access codes, security systems don't generally go 'hey authorized user X made us of me on this date at this time', they report on things that don't fit what they expect. Plus you're assuming that ARCHIE-7 has reason to believe the access code it's receiving is from the Earth. All it knows is someone with a valid user code made use of the satellite, it doesn't know really where just that it was okay. Without instructions otherwise it has zero reason to care or notify anyone that ARCHIE-3 used their satellite.

You're really ignoring human nature and the limitations that exist on non-sentient AI. Look at the book for Jurassic Park, the computer was required to count up the dinosaurs and make sure x amount of each was around but it never occurred to anyone to have it count ALL of them and only when things were going to hell did someone go 'hey let's type in larger numbers until the computer finds a number less than that' at which point they found out they had a massive amount of extra dinosaurs running around.

There is no reason at all for any human on the moon to know about the ARCHIE-3 use of their satellite. The idea someone on the ground actually has the codes and can access the satellite simply doesn't occur to them and you can't find what you've no idea you should be looking for in the first place. Look at all the vehicle recalls that happen because no matter what you do to simulate RL conditions (and I do have experience in testing vehicle components) you can't account for everything so there will be glitches that won't show up until in practical real world conditions. The people maintaining ARCHIE-7 don't have the reasons supplied to them to justify discovering ARCHIE-3's activities, it's simply outside their mindset.

Nightmask
Palladin

TheOttoman wrote:
Slight001 wrote:What's the upload and download rates? Latency?

Not to get too much into previous lines of work that I've engaged in, but there are platforms that are able to be combat effective (i.e. issue movement and fire commands) which are completely controlled by satellite during the entire mission.

Depending on the type of platform, and more importantly, where the satellite is located, line of sight can be considered something as small as a city block, the size of a country - say Afghanistan, or an entire continent.

Think of communications in the same way you look at Wireless Internet connections. Assuming no obstructions, and full power, you get X amount of bandwidth. As obstructions increase, and power declines, the bandwidth gets smaller. As long as your communication (which is 99.99% digital instruction, versus audio and video information translated into 1's and 0's) remain within the tolerances of the bandwidth, you can communicate just fine.

Plus the concerns of information density. If you don't have to send a lot of data or micro-manage things you have even less problems when it comes to keeping communications going smoothly.

SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
TheOttoman wrote:
keir451 wrote:I also factor in a lot of things, like terrain, kinda hard to go 200+ when you're in a dense forest. Tho' that adds to the possibilty of "missing" a shot. Generally "flavor text" for the combat, it means you or they hit something else instead as your opponent dodges behind a rock or a tree.
In the end it comes down to what I've experienced vs what you've experienced. Our experiences hold true for us individually but not together.

I take it, you've never seen the movie Predator. That's a great excercise in how superior optics and firepower effectively kill lower skilled / equiped targets with ease.

LOL Predator.

:) That's actually a very good example. Thanks Ottoman. Regardless of what you actually think about the movie, the facts are still true. With the exception of cloaking, an A-63 vs a Deadboy is roughly compared to any of the guys in Predator vs the Predator.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:ARCHIE-3 has valid access codes, security systems don't generally go 'hey authorized user X made us of me on this date at this time', they report on things that don't fit what they expect. Plus you're assuming that ARCHIE-7 has reason to believe the access code it's receiving is from the Earth. All it knows is someone with a valid user code made use of the satellite, it doesn't know really where just that it was okay. Without instructions otherwise it has zero reason to care or notify anyone that ARCHIE-3 used their satellite.

You're really ignoring human nature and the limitations that exist on non-sentient AI. Look at the book for Jurassic Park, the computer was required to count up the dinosaurs and make sure x amount of each was around but it never occurred to anyone to have it count ALL of them and only when things were going to hell did someone go 'hey let's type in larger numbers until the computer finds a number less than that' at which point they found out they had a massive amount of extra dinosaurs running around.

There is no reason at all for any human on the moon to know about the ARCHIE-3 use of their satellite. The idea someone on the ground actually has the codes and can access the satellite simply doesn't occur to them and you can't find what you've no idea you should be looking for in the first place. Look at all the vehicle recalls that happen because no matter what you do to simulate RL conditions (and I do have experience in testing vehicle components) you can't account for everything so there will be glitches that won't show up until in practical real world conditions. The people maintaining ARCHIE-7 don't have the reasons supplied to them to justify discovering ARCHIE-3's activities, it's simply outside their mindset.

but its would fall under the containment of earth, because if they got access to one then maybe they could get access to the rail gun ones and use them against the space colonies, remember those people are paranoid

Nightmask
Palladin

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:You're really ignoring human nature and the limitations that exist on non-sentient AI. Look at the book for Jurassic Park, the computer was required to count up the dinosaurs and make sure x amount of each was around but it never occurred to anyone to have it count ALL of them and only when things were going to hell did someone go 'hey let's type in larger numbers until the computer finds a number less than that' at which point they found out they had a massive amount of extra dinosaurs running around.

but its would fall under the containment of earth, because if they got access to one then maybe they could get access to the rail gun ones and use them against the space colonies, remember those people are paranoid

It really doesn't, just because they're paranoid doesn't mean that they're going to think 'gee maybe someone down on Earth can find valid access codes to our satellites'. It's not a logical or even illogical leap for them to make.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

It would ..

Again as the other poster clearly stated ..

IF .. they were looking .. and knew what to look for .. as it is .. they neither are looking .. nor do they know what to look for ..

So .. its all safe for archie .. no matta what
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

to paraphrase Henry jones Sr., "We built Archie-7 so we wouldn't have to watch!"

the reason the CAN-republic hasn't discovered archi-3's use of the satellite stems from the fact that they rely on archie-7 to watch those sats and inform them of anything going on. but archie-7 doesn't recognize archir-3's activity as abnormal, because it carries the right codes and hasn't done anything it was programmed to consider odd. this is canon.

the CAn-republic would look into it, if archie-7 had informed them, but they're completely ignorant of it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

SkyeFyre wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
TheOttoman wrote:

LOL Predator.

:) That's actually a very good example. Thanks Ottoman. Regardless of what you actually think about the movie, the facts are still true. With the exception of cloaking, an A-63 vs a Deadboy is roughly compared to any of the guys in Predator vs the Predator.

In other words as long as I can outhink it and out manuever it I win. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:You're really ignoring human nature and the limitations that exist on non-sentient AI. Look at the book for Jurassic Park, the computer was required to count up the dinosaurs and make sure x amount of each was around but it never occurred to anyone to have it count ALL of them and only when things were going to hell did someone go 'hey let's type in larger numbers until the computer finds a number less than that' at which point they found out they had a massive amount of extra dinosaurs running around.

It really doesn't, just because they're paranoid doesn't mean that they're going to think 'gee maybe someone down on Earth can find valid access codes to our satellites'. It's not a logical or even illogical leap for them to make.

but i bet if it was the coalition they people would be complaining about it

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

SkyeFyre wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
TheOttoman wrote:

LOL Predator.

more of A termintor going against a soldier.

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
SkyeFyre wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
TheOttoman wrote:

LOL Predator.

more of A termintor going against a soldier.

Agreed. And suppossedly the resistance beats the machines...so good analogy. :)
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Although I tend to see Archie's bots being a whole lot tougher/stronger/faster, than terminators. Still a good example though.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

I actually would like to see a battle with ARCHIEs vs CS JACKs

Return to “Rifts®”