Archie's production capabilities ..

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Re: Archie's production capabilities ..

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Lenwen wrote:As the creator of the game system .. who canonly stated Archie would / could beat the CS .. and out produces them across the board ..

Only way you can say no archie does not .. is if you house rule it so.

Have fun :wink:

canon can always change , in fact it has republicans were never a power player in rifts earth until chaos earth came into being, in fact the Chi-town did at one time have 12 glitterboys or Lonestar used dog-boys samas pilots

It wont be changed anytime soon ..

Enjoy the ride .. or house rule how you need to .. to make it a happy Coalition friendly world :P

dont matter to me because its canon about the Dogboys and samas.

Yeah ..

too bad they retconned that out of the game :-?

Tho at one time .. there were dogboy RPA's ... haha
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Nightmask wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:Archie can't compete with the CS when it comes to production.
Archie is limited to realistic production methods and the CS's forces multiply mystically whenever KS waves his pen. No production can keep up with that.

One could say that ARCHIE-3 benefits from that as well, given it's written it exceeds the CS across the board. While the CS is treated like a magical boogieman we know that Kevin still approved ARCHIE-3's canon material stating it can defeat the CS if they came to blows.

You are probably right.
What could make you wrong is if all those extra resources the CS seems to get their hands on aren't mystically bestowed by Kevin. If for some reason the Republicans were giving the CS a hand out (which I doubt) then considering the Republicans are using Archie's production capabilities and giving it to the CS, it would stand to reason that CS + Archie > Archie.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Vanguard are covertly teleporting resources into the CS production facilities.

Bob: Hey Joe! Didn't we just use this stack of Mega-Steel?
Joe: I thought so. Hey! Has this pile of ore grown?
Bob: Dang! It looks like it has. Nobody's been in here though.
Joe: Weird.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Giant2005 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Archie is limited to realistic production methods and the CS's forces multiply mystically whenever KS waves his pen. No production can keep up with that.

One could say that ARCHIE-3 benefits from that as well, given it's written it exceeds the CS across the board. While the CS is treated like a magical boogieman we know that Kevin still approved ARCHIE-3's canon material stating it can defeat the CS if they came to blows.

You are probably right.
What could make you wrong is if all those extra resources the CS seems to get their hands on aren't mystically bestowed by Kevin. If for some reason the Republicans were giving the CS a hand out (which I doubt) then considering the Republicans are using Archie's production capabilities and giving it to the CS, it would stand to reason that CS + Archie > Archie.

I think it's highly unlikely the Republicans will help the CS...

As for Archie out producing the CS, that's great flavor text, but unless Archie has a million+ bots in storage somewhere he hasn't even come close.

I think it'ds important to note what Archie can do, and what Archie has done...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Hystrix wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

You are probably right.

As for Archie out producing the CS, that's great flavor text, but unless Archie has a million+ bots in storage somewhere he hasn't even come close.

i know the republicans were part of chi-town admin staff before they were forced out by prosek and military, so there is that
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hystrix wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:One could say that ARCHIE-3 benefits from that as well, given it's written it exceeds the CS across the board. While the CS is treated like a magical boogieman we know that Kevin still approved ARCHIE-3's canon material stating it can defeat the CS if they came to blows.

You are probably right.

Well it's written that ARCHIE-3 can out-produce the CS, and that it can handily defeat it, which seems like something pretty important to note. So either ARCHIE-3 does indeed have the robots available to deal with the CS or it can turn them out fast enough to make it a moot point. Plus as noted earlier it's possible that everything he's produced and sold under the Titan logo has a concealed AI that can turn the power armors into pure AI-driven robots serving ARCHIE-3. There's also his Shemarrians that despite the handwaving of some are still a force to count when it comes to his ready reserves. Just because they're not being used for currently as an active combat force doesn't mean that inexplicably they can't be used at all for that.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Nightmask wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:One could say that ARCHIE-3 benefits from that as well, given it's written it exceeds the CS across the board. While the CS is treated like a magical boogieman we know that Kevin still approved ARCHIE-3's canon material stating it can defeat the CS if they came to blows.

You are probably right.

Well it's written that ARCHIE-3 can out-produce the CS, and that it can handily defeat it, which seems like something pretty important to note. So either ARCHIE-3 does indeed have the robots available to deal with the CS or it can turn them out fast enough to make it a moot point. Plus as noted earlier it's possible that everything he's produced and sold under the Titan logo has a concealed AI that can turn the power armors into pure AI-driven robots serving ARCHIE-3. There's also his Shemarrians that despite the handwaving of some are still a force to count when it comes to his ready reserves. Just because they're not being used for currently as an active combat force doesn't mean that inexplicably they can't be used at all for that.

Again. It's canon vs canon. Often the book contradict. Sometime in the same book (as in this case). If you add the numbers from SB1 revised, and Shemerrian Nation (so I AM counting Shemerrians) you have roughly 40,000 bots. That's canon. Could archie produce more? Sure. Could he have 1,000 more than listed? Yes. Could he have 5,000 more than listed? Yes. Could he have 10,000 more than listed? I guess so. Could he have 900,000 more than listed? Now you're pushing it.

Point is this is one area that conflicts, and no flavor text is going to convince me that the numbers are wrong...
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hystrix wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well it's written that ARCHIE-3 can out-produce the CS, and that it can handily defeat it, which seems like something pretty important to note. So either ARCHIE-3 does indeed have the robots available to deal with the CS or it can turn them out fast enough to make it a moot point. Plus as noted earlier it's possible that everything he's produced and sold under the Titan logo has a concealed AI that can turn the power armors into pure AI-driven robots serving ARCHIE-3. There's also his Shemarrians that despite the handwaving of some are still a force to count when it comes to his ready reserves. Just because they're not being used for currently as an active combat force doesn't mean that inexplicably they can't be used at all for that.

Again. It's canon vs canon. Often the book contradict. Sometime in the same book (as in this case). If you add the numbers from SB1 revised, and Shemerrian Nation (so I AM counting Shemerrians) you have roughly 40,000 bots. That's canon. Could archie produce more? Sure. Could he have 1,000 more than listed? Yes. Could he have 5,000 more than listed? Yes. Could he have 10,000 more than listed? I guess so. Could he have 900,000 more than listed? Now you're pushing it.

Point is this is one area that conflicts, and no flavor text is going to convince me that the numbers are wrong...

Except it's not flavor text, flavor text is 'it comes in green and white floral patterns', not 'X's production capacities exceed those of Y'. X>Y is a description of fact, not flavor text. ARCHIE-3>CS, therefor whatever might be written one must consider that ARCHIE-3's available material exceeds that of CS because that's the ruling regarding ARCHIE-3 relative to pretty much everyone including the CS and Triax. For a long time everyone thought Quebec got by on a measly few hundred Glitter Boys to establish its kingdom only to have the real numbers get revealed long after, it's the same for ARCHIE-3. What ARCHIE-3 really has just hasn't been listed and is why the CS would crumble if hit by everything ARCHIE-3 has.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I have long held the belief that in the case of Archie vs the CS and even more recently the NEMA forces or the Republicans & Archie vs the CS that they COULD indeed win, but Archie DOES need time to assess hte CS forces and to buid up his robot legions, the same priciple applies to the NEMA forces and the Republicans, both forces are numerically inferior to the CS at the moment and will most assuredly need time to 1) Enlist/obtain Archies aid, 2) in the case of the NEMA forces, assess the world situation and build up their forces (this applies to both the NEMA and Republican forces).
My overall point is that; Yes, it could happen, but don't let the information in the books fool you, there is always the possiblity that despite what the books say the actual results may be something far, far different. As kevin himself has said, feel fretet o use or ignore material as you wish and use your OWN imaginations. :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

archie out produces the CS in robots
but the CS out produces archie in clothes , food , paper towel, soap , candy , beer , wine, fruit snacks, cotton candy, jelly beans, finger paint , and the rest of the fun stuff humans use day to day
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:archie out produces the CS in robots
but the CS out produces archie in clothes , food , paper towel, soap , candy , beer , wine, fruit snacks, cotton candy, jelly beans, finger paint , and the rest of the fun stuff humans use day to day

The point is you're focusing solely on what "The Book says" instead of looking at it from a different angle and using your OWN imagination.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

keir451 wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:archie out produces the CS in robots

The point is you're focusing solely on what "The Book says" instead of looking at it from a different angle and using your OWN imagination.

well archie wouldnt produce stuff he or his robot dont need, some he gets to focus vs spreading it out

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Nightmask wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well it's written that ARCHIE-3 can out-produce the CS, and that it can handily defeat it, which seems like something pretty important to note. So either ARCHIE-3 does indeed have the robots available to deal with the CS or it can turn them out fast enough to make it a moot point. Plus as noted earlier it's possible that everything he's produced and sold under the Titan logo has a concealed AI that can turn the power armors into pure AI-driven robots serving ARCHIE-3. There's also his Shemarrians that despite the handwaving of some are still a force to count when it comes to his ready reserves. Just because they're not being used for currently as an active combat force doesn't mean that inexplicably they can't be used at all for that.

Except it's not flavor text, flavor text is 'it comes in green and white floral patterns', not 'X's production capacities exceed those of Y'. X>Y is a description of fact, not flavor text. ARCHIE-3>CS, therefor whatever might be written one must consider that ARCHIE-3's available material exceeds that of CS because that's the ruling regarding ARCHIE-3 relative to pretty much everyone including the CS and Triax. For a long time everyone thought Quebec got by on a measly few hundred Glitter Boys to establish its kingdom only to have the real numbers get revealed long after, it's the same for ARCHIE-3. What ARCHIE-3 really has just hasn't been listed and is why the CS would crumble if hit by everything ARCHIE-3 has.

Whatever you wanna call it. If the text says one thing and stats say something else then one of them is wrong. You go by some blurb about how much more Archie can produce, and I go by the numbers that are given... BTW, BOTH are canon...
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Lenwen wrote:
Archie canonly can beat the CS in mass production any day of the week ..

Can only beat them any day of the week eh ? So that's how the CS can beat them, the CS uses Saturday and Sunday to catch up and pass Archie, and the mighty CS WINS AGAIN!*

*pssst look down here, in case it doesn't translate well in written form as easily as verbal, that was sarcasm. Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist because people love any excuse to keep an argument going. I can picture it now "the books says any day of the week, so that means the CS produces more on the weekends!" and then the debate would spill into who can produce more if it's a long weekend, :lol:
sorry for interrupting, please continue.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Hystrix wrote:Whatever you wanna call it. If the text says one thing and stats say something else then one of them is wrong. You go by some blurb about how much more Archie can produce, and I go by the numbers that are given... BTW, BOTH are canon...

And canonly speaking .. Archie and his 30,000 troops .. could breach the walls of Chi-Town.

That means .. Chi-Town / the Coalition could not stop .. 30,000 troops equiped with Archie tech ..

Then it even goes on to say after they did that .. they would return to the HQ-ECC base retool .. and take out every other nation / powerblock in north america .. (not maby .. but flat out take them out)

So that passage alone flat out show's you how badass archie tech is ..
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Hystrix wrote:Whatever you wanna call it. If the text says one thing and stats say something else then one of them is wrong. You go by some blurb about how much more Archie can produce, and I go by the numbers that are given... BTW, BOTH are canon...

And canonly speaking .. Archie and his 30,000 troops .. could breach the walls of Chi-Town.

That means .. Chi-Town / the Coalition could not stop .. 30,000 troops equiped with Archie tech ..

Then it even goes on to say after they did that .. they would return to the HQ-ECC base retool .. and take out every other nation / powerblock in north america .. (not maby .. but flat out take them out)

book and page please

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

book and page please

Here it is..

But I'm sure you will just hand wavium it away .. as per your usual way of things ..

Rifts Sourcebook 1 revised pg 115 wrote:Wait a minute are you saying the Republicans planted technology in the library of Chi-Town for the Coalition states to find ?
Yes.

ACK wrong one .. my bad ..

Rifts Sourcebook 1 revised pg 116 wrote:There is oen full army of 28,616 troops and a full set of advanced body armor , energy weapons, power armor , and giant robot eaiting for each . If I awaken this army , it could breach the walls of Chi-Town .

Your welcome. :clown:
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Lenwen wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

book and page please

Here it is..

But I'm sure you will just hand wavium it away .. as per your usual way of things ..

Rifts Sourcebook 1 revised pg 115 wrote:Wait a minute are you saying the Republicans planted technology in the library of Chi-Town for the Coalition states to find ?
Yes.

Rifts Sourcebook 1 revised pg 116 wrote:There is oen full army of 28,616 troops and a full set of advanced body armor , energy weapons, power armor , and giant robot eaiting for each . If I awaken this army , it could breach the walls of Chi-Town .

That has nothing to do with Archie's production capability...that's a frozen NEMA army.... not the same...
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Hystrix wrote:That has nothing to do with Archie's production capability...that's a frozen NEMA army.... not the same...

You telling me then .. that any military of at LEAST .. nearly 30'000 people .. can breach the walls of Chi-Town geared in even plastic man armor .. and the same lvl of tech weapons as the coalition ?

I think were both smart enough to say no .. on that ..

how ever .. 30'000 combat seasoned troops .. geared in tech that is simply put far above that of the Coalition's .. could in fact Breach the walls of Chi-Town ..

Because its tech that is far superior to that of the Coalition's .. That fact alone is why only 30,000 man army could in fact take the CS ..
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Lenwen wrote:
Hystrix wrote:That has nothing to do with Archie's production capability...that's a frozen NEMA army.... not the same...

You telling me then .. that any military of at LEAST .. nearly 30'000 people .. can breach the walls of Chi-Town geared in even plastic man armor .. and the same lvl of tech weapons as the coalition ?

I think were both smart enough to say no .. on that ..

how ever .. 30'000 combat seasoned troops .. geared in tech that is simply put far above that of the Coalition's .. could in fact Breach the walls of Chi-Town ..

Because its tech that is far superior to that of the Coalition's .. That fact alone is why only 30,000 man army could in fact take the CS ..

I'm not saying they can't beat the CS. SB1 says they can breach Chi Town. Makes me thing the NEMA troops have some nukes or something. Either way, Archie didn't create those troops. He has no cloning abilities. All i'm saying is the NEMA troops are not testiment to Archie's production capabilities.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Let's get something straight here the books state implicitly Archie CAN out-produce the CS if he chose to but it does NOT say he does at the moment.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

jaymz wrote:Let's get something straight here the books state implicitly Archie CAN out-produce the CS if he chose to but it does NOT say he does at the moment.

Correct. ARCHIE wasn't/hasn't used his Factory Seven in nearly a year according to SB1r. The Republicans used it when they hacked into ARCHIE and operated it at 94% productivity.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:Let's get something straight here the books state implicitly Archie CAN out-produce the CS if he chose to but it does NOT say he does at the moment.

Correct. ARCHIE wasn't/hasn't used his Factory Seven in nearly a year according to SB1r. The Republicans used it when they hacked into ARCHIE and operated it at 94% productivity.

Yes this is true.

In 1,334 hrs .. the Republican's were able to produce nearly 4'000 PA's Robots and armors .. this is not even the new weapons they equipped themselves with or the various light armors .. that is strictly the PA's and the Robot PA's ..
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Lenwen wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Yes this is true.

In 1,334 hrs .. the Republican's were able to produce nearly 4'000 PA's Robots and armors .. this is not even the new weapons they equipped themselves with or the various light armors .. that is strictly the PA's and the Robot PA's ..

Thank you. Proving MY point that that silly blurb about Archie out producing the Cs is silly and dosn't add up with numbers that are presented in THE REST OF THE GAME.

If they can make 4,000 PA units in 55 days (same as 1334 hours) then that's about 26,545 a year.

The CS made 3.2 million SAMAS is 20 years. That's 160,000 SAMAS a year. And that's just SAMAS. They also produced nearly 2 million skelebots in 9 years. That's 222,222 Skelebots a year.

This also dosn't include the other Robot's, PA, Body Armor, Rifles, Pistols, Grenades, Sky Cycles, Death Heads Transports etc... that the CS factories crank out constantly. THIS is canon.

And you have your little blurb in SB1: revised... which is contradicted IN THE SAME BOOK!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Hystrix wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Yes this is true.

Thank you. Proving MY point that that silly blurb about Archie out producing the Cs is silly and dosn't add up with numbers that are presented in THE REST OF THE GAME.

If they can make 4,000 PA units in 55 days (same as 1334 hours) then that's about 26,545 a year.

The CS made 3.2 million SAMAS is 20 years. That's 160,000 SAMAS a year. And that's just SAMAS. They also produced nearly 2 million skelebots in 9 years. That's 222,222 Skelebots a year.

This also dosn't include the other Robot's, PA, Body Armor, Rifles, Pistols, Grenades, Sky Cycles, Death Heads Transports etc... that the CS factories crank out constantly. THIS is canon.

And you have your little blurb in SB1: revised... which is contradicted IN THE SAME BOOK!

Only problem is Hysterix that is ONE factory. We have no idea how many Factories Archie has in total.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

jaymz wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Yes this is true.

Only problem is Hysterix that is ONE factory. We have no idea how many Factories Archie has in total.

The only problem with that is to even be close he'd need about 20 factories all equal to factory 7 (which i get the impression 7 is one of his bigger factories). Do you think he has that many?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Hystrix wrote:
The only problem with that is to even be close he'd need about 20 factories all equal to factory 7 (which i get the impression 7 is one of his bigger factories). Do you think he has that many?

Without any factual info there is no way to know if that is one of the big ones or not. If it is typical it would take 6 factories to produce 150 000+ per year. Production rates may be lower than they can be as well since the Republicans were producing multiple types of units whereas Archie may have each factory dedicated to one type of unit. A factory typical produces at a higher rate if producing only one type of item rather than multiple types. I have seen and been in enough automotive factories to see this first hand.

Either way the books do state Archie can in fact out produce the CS no matter how much you do not want it to be so. That tells me he has enough factories to do so regardless of what the number of factories may indeed be.

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

book and page please

Here it is..

Yes.

still not archie's forces that nema's forces :fool:

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

jaymz wrote:

Actually we do - there are a total of nine factories (SB1r - page 118)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Do they indicate if they are all the same size or not?

EDIT - it doesnt seem to so one could extrapolate that the 9 factories are all relatively the same. That being the case then Archie can produce well over 230 000+ units per year. Probably even more if each factory were setup to produce only one type of bot as opposed to multiple types of bots.
Last edited by jaymz on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

no we dont , but i think he might have 2-3 big ones,4-5 medium and 1-3 smaller ones , but given the area archie's kingdom covers he might have a few more then 9 but that my guess at the numbers

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

no we dont , but i think he might have 2-3 big ones,4-5 medium and 1-3 smaller ones , but given the area archie's kingdom covers he might have a few more then 9 but that my guess at the numbers

That's very true. The number 9 is what he started with at the time of the great cataclysm. There is no indication that he hasn't expanded or even built additional factories.

\m/
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

That's my impression based on the description. They are modular and can be configured to produce all the NEMA weapons, EBA, power armor, robots and basic vehicles. Likely it was going to be several factories for infantry weapons/EBA, another for PA, etc.

Also interesting to note, the Republicans used up all the material stockpiles from Factory 7 to manufacture all those new items.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

That's my impression based on the description. They are modular and can be configured to produce all the NEMA weapons, EBA, power armor, robots and basic vehicles. Likely it was going to be several factories for infantry weapons/EBA, another for PA, etc.

Also interesting to note, the Republicans used up all the material stockpiles from Factory 7 to manufacture all those new items.

Yeah they are kinda screwed now to a degree. Archie ain't going to resupply the factory knowing he is being hacked etc.

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Yeah they are kinda screwed now to a degree. Archie ain't going to resupply the factory knowing he is being hacked etc.

he might "restock" it , but its might be a trap too

gelidus
Explorer

Unread post by gelidus »

A little off base perhaps but just my two cents.

Arch 3 could beat the cs into the sand for two reasons one cannon one not.

He can pump out more then they can.... Numbers matter ask the Germans.

Second is moral... Archy would prolly send hordes of robots.

They don't eat.
They don't rest.
They cant be demoralized.
They cant be scared.
They never fight among them selves.
They never have any questions in the chain of command.
They never hesitate.
They have no fear of death.

And they have one purpose.... To kill the dead boys...

Yeah Id run like hell
cornholioprime wrote: You are absolutely right, Gelidus.....but I'll never admit it. :D
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Maybe a little experiment is needed. I say:

Roll up a random dead boy and a random Archie Bot. Assume full damage rolls for each and see who dies first. Then assume numerical parity and extrapolate.
SkyeFyre
Hero

That won't work though. Everyone's going to nitpick the specific scenario. Bringing into question things like range and junk.

Example:

Deadboy vs A-63 All-Purpose Heavy Robot

Arch-22 Pulse Rifle: 914m
CP-40: 610m

Arch's bot can effectively engage the DB 304m beyond his own range. They also have the option to use NEMA weapons or even Shemarrian Rail Guns (SB1r pg 96)

Accuracy?
W.P. is equal to 8th level on all A-63s
DB is likely going to be anywhere between levels 1-4

Tactics?
DBs are typically grunts with special cases here and there
A-63s Are all equal to 8th level soldiers

Armor?
DBs typically have 100MDC (After SoT)
A-63s typically have 290MDC (After SoT)

Other?
Each bot basically is using a multi-optics system (I said basically due to similarity, I realize that they are not) and can spot targets fairly easily if even modern AI is to be used as an example.
They bots are also in constant radio contact with each other, without the danger of misunderstanding. They could co-ordinate and move in a lot more effective manner than any human team could.
No need to sleep, or eat, they could employ many different tactics against DBs.

1v1? A-63 wins
2v2? A-63s win easier
3v3? A-63s win even easier
4v4? You see the trend.

Bottom line:

Fact: The books tell us that Archie's production could smoke the CS'.
Fact: The books give us definite numbers of how much the CS turned out in a specific time period.
Fact: The books give us definite numbers of the current distribution of Archie's bots and their numbers.
Fact: We're given approximate numbers of current CS forces.
Fact: The books do not tell us how big the production room or area for Archie is.

So what do we know?

We know that Archie currently does not have an army big enough to go up and knock on Prosek's front door. We do know however, that if he needed to he could out produce the CS' factories. We don't know by how much, or any specific numbers. We just know he can.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
75 GM Geek Points
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

what about innovation? Humans are damn near infamous for our ability to adapt and overcome... that and we're just plain cruel when you threaten us.

Also didn't I read about ARCHIE-3 not being able to code? IIRC the programs he's using in his Robot's are all left overs from NEMA...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

@SkyFyre, The problem is how do you determine range in a setting w/out effective distance measurments. It all basically boils down to who spots who first and how the dice rolls. I've taken 1st level P.A. characters/DB characters in Body Armor against Archie's Shemarrians and his other bots and found that in comparison they're about equal to any other person in body armor or P.A. Plus every time I blow the head off a Robot they've got a nearly 90% chance of shutting down. Basically I've learned thru gaming NOT to trust what the books say something can do because invariably the players will rapidly disabuse you of that notion.
I'll grant that Archies weapons have greater range, but in the end it literally comes down to how the players react and how the dice roll.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Slight001 wrote:what about innovation? Humans are damn near infamous for our ability to adapt and overcome... that and we're just plain cruel when you threaten us.

Also didn't I read about ARCHIE-3 not being able to code? IIRC the programs he's using in his Robot's are all left overs from NEMA...

Isn't this why ARCHIE has Hagan?
Slight001
Hero

Galroth wrote:
Slight001 wrote:what about innovation? Humans are damn near infamous for our ability to adapt and overcome... that and we're just plain cruel when you threaten us.

Yes and no... IIRC, Cannon states that ARCHIE-3 doesn't make custom robot programs save possibly for a select few 'experiments'

ARCHIE-3 has absolute control of his forces, iirc, when they are within a 1000 feet of him. However, in the field his robots will need to operate as per their programing which while likely amazing isn't going to ever account for shear insanity of the human ability to ignore 'logic'. Hells if even a single robot control chip were to be captured it'd allow skilled programers the ability to map out action tree's for the bots and in turn lead to a predictable and more easily overcome enemy.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Slight001 wrote:
Galroth wrote:

Yes and no... IIRC, Cannon states that ARCHIE-3 doesn't make custom robot programs save possibly for a select few 'experiments'

ARCHIE-3 has absolute control of his forces, iirc, when they are within a 1000 feet of him. However, in the field his robots will need to operate as per their programing which while likely amazing isn't going to ever account for shear insanity of the human ability to ignore 'logic'. Hells if even a single robot control chip were to be captured it'd allow skilled programers the ability to map out action tree's for the bots and in turn lead to a predictable and more easily overcome enemy.

Sorry, I should have been more specific and say I was talking about just the innovation part. Although you are assuming that in a war ARCHIE would only deploy standard AI's but he does have the ability to make Neural Intelligence AI's, which he's already done a couple of times for operations that are outside that range. Also, is that range from before ARCHIE got his hands on a functioning satellite?
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Galroth wrote:Also, is that range from before ARCHIE got his hands on a functioning satellite?

This is indeed an interesting prospect. Even if ARCHIE couldn't build satellite receivers into his bots (which I bet he could) all he would need would be local relay stations...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Slight001 wrote:ARCHIE-3 has absolute control of his forces, iirc, when they are within a 1000 feet of him. However, in the field his robots will need to operate as per their programing which while likely amazing isn't going to ever account for shear insanity of the human ability to ignore 'logic'. Hells if even a single robot control chip were to be captured it'd allow skilled programers the ability to map out action tree's for the bots and in turn lead to a predictable and more easily overcome enemy.

your assuming the AI programming uses action tress, instead of say, using elements of expert systems and evolutive computation to create a much wider variety of responses, even be able to "guess" a response to something never before encountered.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Slight001
Hero

NI's (Neural Intelligences) are unpredictable yes that does make them better at innovation however as noted within the Robot R.C.C. creation rules that independence also means that they are free to disobey. They could even decide that this is the wrong course of action and fight to stop ARCHIE-3.

As far as ground relays are concerned that is something that would create obvious weak points in his chain of command... what's this about a satellite? I must have missed something... When did ARCHIE-3 get a satellite (which book as well)?
Slight001
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:your assuming the AI programming uses action tress, instead of say, using elements of expert systems and evolutive computation to create a much wider variety of responses, even be able to "guess" a response to something never before encountered.

I'll admit I'm not that well versed in programing much less AI programming. Though even then I should have known better... as I know what an expert system is... bloody hells.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Slight001 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:your assuming the AI programming uses action tress, instead of say, using elements of expert systems and evolutive computation to create a much wider variety of responses, even be able to "guess" a response to something never before encountered.

I'll admit I'm not that well versed in programing much less AI programming. Though even then I should have known better... as I know what an expert system is... bloody hells.

no big deal. i've had to do alot of study of AI methods for a project of mine recently.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SkyeFyre
Hero

keir451 wrote:@SkyFyre, The problem is how do you determine range in a setting w/out effective distance measurments. It all basically boils down to who spots who first and how the dice rolls. I've taken 1st level P.A. characters/DB characters in Body Armor against Archie's Shemarrians and his other bots and found that in comparison they're about equal to any other person in body armor or P.A. Plus every time I blow the head off a Robot they've got a nearly 90% chance of shutting down. Basically I've learned thru gaming NOT to trust what the books say something can do because invariably the players will rapidly disabuse you of that notion.
I'll grant that Archies weapons have greater range, but in the end it literally comes down to how the players react and how the dice roll.

1. This proves my point about nitpicking.
2. Every time they blow the head off a player they've got a 100% chance of being dead.
3. Are you playing the robots like level 8 advanced pieces of machinery? or are you running them like mindless drones?

I've had a single A-63 mess up 3 players pretty badly before going down. I don't just have mindless drones. A-63 likely has a decent processor, plenty capable of multitasking. I would say one routine would be constantly scanning for threats. (My completely made up statistic of...) 90% of the time I would say that the 'bot would spot them before they would spot it.

I agree that it does boil down to dice rolls, but when the 'bot can take 190% more damage than the opponent, has a greater range, and a speed of 200+, I'm pretty inclined to say that any humans facing off against it are dead.
75 GM Geek Points
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

SkyeFyre wrote:
keir451 wrote:@SkyFyre, The problem is how do you determine range in a setting w/out effective distance measurments. It all basically boils down to who spots who first and how the dice rolls. I've taken 1st level P.A. characters/DB characters in Body Armor against Archie's Shemarrians and his other bots and found that in comparison they're about equal to any other person in body armor or P.A. Plus every time I blow the head off a Robot they've got a nearly 90% chance of shutting down. Basically I've learned thru gaming NOT to trust what the books say something can do because invariably the players will rapidly disabuse you of that notion.

1. This proves my point about nitpicking.
2. Every time they blow the head off a player they've got a 100% chance of being dead.
3. Are you playing the robots like level 8 advanced pieces of machinery? or are you running them like mindless drones?

I've had a single A-63 mess up 3 players pretty badly before going down. I don't just have mindless drones. A-63 likely has a decent processor, plenty capable of multitasking. I would say one routine would be constantly scanning for threats. (My completely made up statistic of...) 90% of the time I would say that the 'bot would spot them before they would spot it.

I agree that it does boil down to dice rolls, but when the 'bot can take 190% more damage than the opponent, has a greater range, and a speed of 200+, I'm pretty inclined to say that any humans facing off against it are dead.

True every time the Robots blow the head off of a human the human IS dead.
Yes, I play the robots as level 8 NPC's. It's reflected in their stats. Sure the 'bot is much more likely to spot them before they spot it. But once the combat ensues it comes down to who can inflict the most damage in the shortest amount of time.
I don't see it as nitpicking, I'm just pointing out that while the books give us ALL this great info, it's hard to use that material effectively at times. Everything comes down to the GM's call. WE, as GM's, "decide" that the "distance" the robot is firing from is its max range because unless we have a scale map and figurines (not impossible just a pain to do :frust: ) everything is rather arbitrary.
I also factor in a lot of things, like terrain, kinda hard to go 200+ when you're in a dense forest. Tho' that adds to the possibilty of "missing" a shot. Generally "flavor text" for the combat, it means you or they hit something else instead as your opponent dodges behind a rock or a tree.
In the end it comes down to what I've experienced vs what you've experienced. Our experiences hold true for us individually but not together.

Return to “Rifts®”