Which rules: AtB2 or RUE?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Which rules: AtB2 or RUE?

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

So which rules do you guys use in your AtB games? AtB2 or the revised RUE (Palladium 1.1) rules that came later?

I'm trying to figure out which rules to use in my writing because there are some significant differences in things like WP bonuses.
Last edited by Mechanurgist on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Which rules: AtB2 or RUE?

Unread post by jaymz »

Mechanurgist wrote:So which rules do you guys use in your AtB games? AtB2 or the revised RUE (Palladium 1.1) rules that came later?

I'm trying to figure out which rules to use in my writing, and there are some significant differences in things like WP bonuses.

If you are writing for AtB then use AtB. That way you remain consistent.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

But the WP bonuses are missing from AtB2, as far as I can tell.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mechanurgist wrote:But the WP bonuses are missing from AtB2, as far as I can tell.

Page 150. Using firearms with modern weapon proficiency (wp)

The individual wp do not get bonuses ala RUE. They use something similar to the previous Modern WP rules of RMB et al.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

But the text seems to imply that you only get bonuses with WP on an aimed shot, and nothing otherwise.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mechanurgist wrote:But the text seems to imply that you only get bonuses with WP on an aimed shot, and nothing otherwise.

Burst and wild rules are here as well.

+1 for a burst and 0 for a wild shot.

AtB is meant o be more stand alone-ish much like Nightspawn, Systems Failure and Dead Reign.

So as I said before if you are writing for AtB you may want to use AtB rules so that your stuff is consistent with what is in AtB. If yu dont and anyone who uses AtB rules will just sit thier scratching thier heads. Anyone who uses anything other than AtB rules will have thier own way for adjusting AtB stuff to the rules they do ues. Always use the base medium to write, in his case AtB.

\m/
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Actually have a player showing interest in AtB 2nd. I would stick with the rules in AtB 2nd myself.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Actually have a player showing interest in AtB 2nd. I would stick with the rules in AtB 2nd myself.

See? A freelancer agrees with me :D

\m/
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

Haha, alright, you convinced me. There may indeed be people out there with just the AtB2 rules who would be confused if I used RUE. It still puzzles me why Erick changed things at random in AtB. Was it a conscious decision or an accidental omission? I thought Kevin allowed no deviation from the universal ruleset.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mechanurgist wrote:Haha, alright, you convinced me. There may indeed be people out there with just the AtB2 rules who would be confused if I used RUE. It still puzzles me why Erick changed things at random in AtB. Was it a conscious decision or an accidental omission? I thought Kevin allowed no deviation from the universal ruleset.

You apparently havent read thru every game they have published :D Every game has its own......subtleties throughout and arenot exact rule copies of the others. :)

\m/
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

The only thing in PB that interests me is AtB and AtB2...I'd be lost if I had to find answers to questions in other books.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

I thumbed through my copies of TMNT, Revised N&SS, Splicers and RUE, and yeah, they're all slightly different. If the megaversal system is so consistent and universal, we might as well switch over to v2.0 and get it over with. At least then it'd be official! :D

I still think the WP difference in AtB2 is a typo/oversight. AtB follows TMNT rules and WPs get bonuses in TMNT...at least in the 1st Ed copy I have, who knows if that was revised too.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mechanurgist wrote:I thumbed through my copies of TMNT, Revised N&SS, Splicers and RUE, and yeah, they're all slightly different. If the megaversal system is so consistent and universal, we might as well switch over to v2.0 and get it over with. At least then it'd be official! :D

Unfortunately Megaversal doesn't = universal :D

\m/
gordyzx9r
Hero

TMNT&OS First Printing WP rules would make most GMs/Players familiar with only the new system wet their pants.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

gordyzx9r wrote:TMNT&OS First Printing WP rules would make most GMs/Players familiar with only the new system wet their pants.

yeah but is that a good thing or a bad thing?

\m/
gordyzx9r
Hero

jaymz wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:TMNT&OS First Printing WP rules would make most GMs/Players familiar with only the new system wet their pants.

Bad. The original rules slowed game play considerably in regards to firearms. It's been awhile, but something like an 8 round burst you'd only be able to hit with at least 5 of those rounds and you'd still have to roll for each of those 5.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

gordyzx9r wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Bad. The original rules slowed game play considerably in regards to firearms. It's been awhile, but something like an 8 round burst you'd only be able to hit with at least 5 of those rounds and you'd still have to roll for each of those 5.

Oye vey yes the next generation (N&SS/HU?) is definitely better.....

\m/

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”