XP?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

XP?

Unread post by KillWatch »

Hello everyone

I would like your opinions on a matter
I know two guys who have different ideas on experience

One believes that XP should be doled out according to what the PCs bring to the table and how much they get into character

The other is plays more to the universal enjoyment of the game, where "levels" are handed out without awarding points and based on attaining goals.

the former rewards good RPing but may be seen as punishing those who aren't as good

the latter puts everyone on a level playing field and everyone plays to their own abilities with the goal that everyone has a good time
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: XP?

Unread post by Jorel »

Game dependent. In your case I would go with XP not levels and give the second player nice round #s. Keep it simple for him if that's how he wants it, but definitely reward the people making an effort to role play (not just play) their characters.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Do a little bit of both. For example hand out 500 exp to all the characters then reward the good role players with additional exp.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

One trick is if someone roleplays well, everyone gets the same amount of XP as a roleplay bonus (players are all on the same team after all, aren't they? Why score seperately?). And I don't mean the amount divided out between players - whatever you would assign the good roleplayer, everyone else gets equally.

That way the good roleplayer is helping everyone by good roleplaying, rather than being GM's pet. And if the not so good roleplayer manages something, he helps everyone and feels good about it.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Do both. Give the group XP for combat the group participates in, and individual XP as fit.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Noon wrote:One trick is if someone roleplays well, everyone gets the same amount of XP as a roleplay bonus (players are all on the same team after all, aren't they? Why score seperately?). And I don't mean the amount divided out between players - whatever you would assign the good roleplayer, everyone else gets equally.

That way the good roleplayer is helping everyone by good roleplaying, rather than being GM's pet. And if the not so good roleplayer manages something, he helps everyone and feels good about it.

Basically what we do too.

It doesn't matter so much in games where there are no 'levels' or where there is only one XP table (D20), but in games where there are many different XP tables with differing rates of advancement (1st/2nd ed AD&D, and Palladium), just handing out a level to everyone every now and then does two things. It cheats the players, as it lessens their sense of achievement. Also, it's biased towards those characters who need more XP to advance.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

? I didn't mention handing out levels, I only mentioned that if one person gets XP for roleplay, everyone else gets an equal amount.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Noon wrote:? I didn't mention handing out levels, I only mentioned that if one person gets XP for roleplay, everyone else gets an equal amount.

Sorry dude, I was referring to the OP.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Noon wrote:One trick is if someone roleplays well, everyone gets the same amount of XP as a roleplay bonus (players are all on the same team after all, aren't they? Why score seperately?). And I don't mean the amount divided out between players - whatever you would assign the good roleplayer, everyone else gets equally.

So, basically, you penalize the good role-player and reward one who is playing poorly (or not trying cuz he knows he'll get the XP anyway)? What you're doing here is telling the good role-player that although he is playing fantastically, he isn't getting anything additional for it, while at the same time you're telling the poor role-player that he doesn't have to do anything to gain XP alongside the rest of the group. It's your game, and you play it how you want to, but I disagree with this method.

I say give out group XP for common tasks completed, but reward role-players with individual XP based on what they do individually.
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

I had inherited a habit from an old GM of generally giving out limited amounts of XP (part of it was balancing some powerful characters in the game). Eventually, my players grumbled, so I began keeping track on Palladium's XP sheet, awarding it exactly per the sheet's criteria. That was still too low for their tastes. Bottom line, it's probably best to talk with your players about their expectations, and yours, and come to an agreement about how to handle XP that everyone can live with.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”