Size of a mini missile

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Wooly
Adventurer

Size of a mini missile

Unread post by Wooly »

I tried to search but mini-missile comes up way too many times.

So what is the size of a mini missile about two cans of soda pop stack on top of each other?

TPA-006 Titan Heavy Power Armor Rifter #4 pg. 78

If you look at the photo I think they should hold more then 4 apiece.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Aaryq
Adventurer

Re: Size of a mini missile

Unread post by Aaryq »

I put them at the width of a Monster BFC and the length of a standard pop can. But that's just my GM's discetion.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Average mini-missile size is the size of a beer can. In fact, I believe one of the books states that. Possibly the original RMB?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I always thought they were the equal to a tall boy beer can (about 2 beer cans tall)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

The only real description I recall in the books is them being a small bazooka like rocket.
Don't go by the pictures because very few if any tech pictures match the dimensions given.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

jaymz wrote:I always thought they were the equal to a tall boy beer can (about 2 beer cans tall)

I also feel that the beer can, instead of soda can, measurement is more accurate.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i personally have always envisioned them being more along the lines of a cardboard tube such as you would find in the middle of a roll of paper towels. maybe a bit thicker and shorter, i guess. beer can just seems to wide and short...
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

You can always look at Robotech. They give the dimensions of the Satchels, and tell you how many mini-missiles can be held.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I think the size is all dependent on whose making them and who is getting shot with them.

"The Devil's among us!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Size varies even within one universe. Those shown on one Mecha are different from those shown on another. In RT 1st ed. They were as round as a redbull can and as long as a Monster XXL but now that they've marred the heck out of the original system a mini-missile is any where from that stated above to about a yard long and 4" in diameter since they used them to replace the short range missiles that used to be on the Alphas. Remember that they were originally made for the cyclones and is why they have no guidance (which would make them rockets and not missiles) so the missiles on an Alpha can't be mini missiles because all the Alpha missiles do the Robotech missile volley dance which would require super guidance systems. Also if they are unguided you should be able to dodge a volley of mini-missiles reguardless of the number launched... otherwise you also shouldn't be able to dodge a volley of arrows launched by four or more archers at a time. :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i thought the robotech mini-missiles were shown to track in the series?
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Size varies even within one universe. Those shown on one Mecha are different from those shown on another. In RT 1st ed. They were as round as a redbull can and as long as a Monster XXL but now that they've marred the heck out of the original system a mini-missile is any where from that stated above to about a yard long and 4" in diameter since they used them to replace the short range missiles that used to be on the Alphas. Remember that they were originally made for the cyclones and is why they have no guidance (which would make them rockets and not missiles) so the missiles on an Alpha can't be mini missiles because all the Alpha missiles do the Robotech missile volley dance which would require super guidance systems. Also if they are unguided you should be able to dodge a volley of mini-missiles reguardless of the number launched... otherwise you also shouldn't be able to dodge a volley of arrows launched by four or more archers at a time. :)

The size does vary doesn't it.
The minis from various power armors are different in size from the one depicted with the CR-1 rocket launcher in the old main Rifts book.

shadow chronicles:
The GR-97 mini-missile delivery system for the cyclones are the only ones I have seen in robotech rpg descriptions that specifically state they are guided and by the cyclones combat computer.
The mini-missiles fired from the MMDS-8 on the Alphas fires 78mm mini-missiles
The RL-6 launcher for the cyclones are listed as 60mm mini-missiles which is the same size as the old 1940s M1 bazooka incidently.
so referencing various books just adds to the confusion to me.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Shark_Force wrote:i thought the robotech mini-missiles were shown to track in the series?

Unfortunatly, Palladium is somewhat infamous at not being able to replicate what you see on TV, which does seem odd for a licensed product.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

the ones used in the Triax missile shield must be the size of hand grenade or apple to fit so many in such small holes its only 7 feet tall and 3 feet wide.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Some are the size of a Magnum Sharpie, some a beer can, and apparently some as long as a Javelin.

"The Devil's among us!
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

i always pictured a mini missile as being slightly bigger than a 40mm grenade, up to about the size of a tall coke or beer can
The Dragon Has Spoken
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

I have them being a little shorter then a can of Red Bull, but the same width
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Shark_Force wrote:i thought the robotech mini-missiles were shown to track in the series?

This is why they are laser guided/homing in my games..
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Oh yes, we have this conversation a lot.

IN SHORTY'S GAME: A mini-missile is smaller than a regular missile, but it is by no means "mini". I'd say about two of those 3-liter bottles of soda end-to-end. That description only fits with one picture in all the Rifts books: The handheld mini-missile launcher in the RMB, which is clearly a heavy shoulder used weapon. If you go by the Power Armor and Bot pics, then mini-missiles have a wide range in sizes, and few of them make sense to me.
SRM's are about the size of an average fighter jet missile, like a Hornet or ARAAM.
MRM's are the size of a Harpoon. I know that size well. When I was a deck seaman in the Navy I used to walk by the Harpoons every day.
LRM's are anything Tomahawk sized or larger. That is also something I am intimately familiar with but I wont bore you with that story here.
A good pic of an actual LRM and not a launcher is that missile pod used by the New German Republic.

Micro missiles are soda can sized or smaller. Again, not many pics support this position.

Also, in my games no mini-missiles are guided unless the description specifically says so. They dont even get the default +3 to hit. BUT, because they are straight shooting dum dum weapons, they do get any strike bonuses from heavy weapons if being used from a handheld launcher. If used from power armor then the person should have PA combat training which includes firing missiles from the arm or shoulder.
I think if I were to add a guidance system the price would go up 50%. Which is OK because in my games the default prices for all missiles is much lower than the book states.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

They did but according to PB they don't. I think someone came up with the explination that the missiles are laser guided from the cyclones sensor suite and not self guided so don't receive the bonus for missiles but do receive the bonus from heavy weapons W.P. .
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gamer wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Size varies even within one universe. Those shown on one Mecha are different from those shown on another. In RT 1st ed. They were as round as a redbull can and as long as a Monster XXL but now that they've marred the heck out of the original system a mini-missile is any where from that stated above to about a yard long and 4" in diameter since they used them to replace the short range missiles that used to be on the Alphas. Remember that they were originally made for the cyclones and is why they have no guidance (which would make them rockets and not missiles) so the missiles on an Alpha can't be mini missiles because all the Alpha missiles do the Robotech missile volley dance which would require super guidance systems. Also if they are unguided you should be able to dodge a volley of mini-missiles reguardless of the number launched... otherwise you also shouldn't be able to dodge a volley of arrows launched by four or more archers at a time. :)

The minis from various power armors are different in size from the one depicted with the CR-1 rocket launcher in the old main Rifts book.

shadow chronicles:
The GR-97 mini-missile delivery system for the cyclones are the only ones I have seen in robotech rpg descriptions that specifically state they are guided and by the cyclones combat computer.
The RL-6 launcher for the cyclones are listed as 60mm mini-missiles which is the same size as the old 1940s M1 bazooka incidently.

Not to mention that in Rifts ALL missiles vary in size I mean look at the LRM on the freaking Triax platform which is gigantic compared to the LRMs used by the RT Spartan... So even though the armor in Rifts was greater I figured the missile tech in RT was better since it is able to pack the same punch into a missile half the size. I don't know where they got those measurements from if they were delivered newly referenced material converted from MOSPEDA. The original Sentinels stuff could have passed for all the same size but the Alpha's missiles all over it were short range missiles, since diameter really only determines how wide it is not how long it is. You can have one diameter and it be as long as a Monster XXL (tm) dring can for a mini-missile and about a yard long and it be classified as a short range missile because, hey now it's able to cary more material in it.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmer wrote:

Unfortunatly, Palladium is somewhat infamous at not being able to replicate what you see on TV, which does seem odd for a licensed product.

:shock: No way you mean that just because Ben Dixon fired his missiles in Battloid Mode when they were fighting against Breetai and PB says you can't do that, that they aren't right? ;D Or the triaxial gun on the VHT can't be fired in Battloid Mode even though the show... showed it. OR that in RT 1ed they completely left out the guns on the Beta's Forearm? Or that in the REF Field Guide they identify the Beta's arm joint in jet mode as the hand?

Yeah, they've always had issues... but I still love em. :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shorty Lickens wrote:Oh yes, we have this conversation a lot.

IN SHORTY'S GAME: A mini-missile is smaller than a regular missile, but it is by no means "mini". I'd say about two of those 3-liter bottles of soda end-to-end. That description only fits with one picture in all the Rifts books: The handheld mini-missile launcher in the RMB, which is clearly a heavy shoulder used weapon. If you go by the Power Armor and Bot pics, then mini-missiles have a wide range in sizes, and few of them make sense to me.
SRM's are about the size of an average fighter jet missile, like a Hornet or ARAAM.
MRM's are the size of a Harpoon. I know that size well. When I was a deck seaman in the Navy I used to walk by the Harpoons every day.
LRM's are anything Tomahawk sized or larger. That is also something I am intimately familiar with but I wont bore you with that story here.
A good pic of an actual LRM and not a launcher is that missile pod used by the New German Republic.

Micro missiles are soda can sized or smaller. Again, not many pics support this position.

Also, in my games no mini-missiles are guided unless the description specifically says so. They dont even get the default +3 to hit. BUT, because they are straight shooting dum dum weapons, they do get any strike bonuses from heavy weapons if being used from a handheld launcher. If used from power armor then the person should have PA combat training which includes firing missiles from the arm or shoulder.
I think if I were to add a guidance system the price would go up 50%. Which is OK because in my games the default prices for all missiles is much lower than the book states.

Original RT missiles

Micro: didn't exist
Mini: about 2" in diameter and 8 inches long (ABOUT)
Short: Maverick or Sidewinder
Medium: Sparrow or AMRAAM
Long: Phoenix or Harpoon
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Gamer wrote:

shadow chronicles:

Yeah, I once tried to compare the size of RT mini missiles vs Rifts/CS just by looking at the drawings; by those standards the missiles used in the Cyclones are MUCH bigger than the ones used by the SAMAS. The ones on the SAMAS take up the relative space of your hand, while the ones in the Cyclone were as long as your forearm (the plasma ones) or the size of a can of oil (the chest ones). If we're to assume those depiction were accurate (sh'yeah right) then Rifts mini-missiles are considerably smaller than RT ones and pack as much of a punch despite their size.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

keir451 wrote:
Gamer wrote:

shadow chronicles:

Yeah, I once tried to compare the size of RT mini missiles vs Rifts/CS just by looking at the drawings; by those standards the missiles used in the Cyclones are MUCH bigger than the ones used by the SAMAS. The ones on the SAMAS take up the relative space of your hand, while the ones in the Cyclone were as long as your forearm (the plasma ones) or the size of a can of oil (the chest ones). If we're to assume those depiction were accurate (sh'yeah right) then Rifts mini-missiles are considerably smaller than RT ones and pack as much of a punch despite their size.

Um... because the mini-missile on the arm shield run the entire length of the launch tube. According to page 49 of the RMB and page 9 of the REF field guide the mini is about 2/3 the length of the launcher which so about 10 inches while the SAMAS's launcher is about 9 inches, I'd assume it too is also only 2/3 of the length making it 6 inches. But we also see the equivalent diameter of the missile being about the same as the front of the fist so about 2.5 inches to the cyclones 1.5... apparent.

Just did the math for volum of a cylinder... its funny. 10x((1.5/2)x pi)=23.56194 for RT and 6x((2.5/2)x pi)=23.56194

So I'll go with tech for mini-missiles is about the same, however there are much larger "mini-missiles" in Rifts. As far as all the other missiles pre-Shadow Chronicles RT missiles were smaller for a given class.

Return to “Rifts®”