The Anatomy of Character Creation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

Re: The Anatomy of Character Creation

Unread post by Crucible »

How is it trolling or making a point to me to call me out personally and I haven't done anything that you have said. You are smoking something or you have no actual sense because you are still on your mighty high horse trying hard to point out something that isn't real. Truth be damned.

You and no one else has changed anything about me and the only thing that is pissing me off is the loose interpretations of a post or thread, the frequent lying, and the constant reading of one or two words and responding based upon it. Here is a clue, if you have nothing to add then don't post. That simple.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

Crucible wrote:How is it trolling or making a point to me to call me out personally and I haven't done anything that you have said. You are smoking something or you have no actual sense
:lol: :lol: ok, ok. I'll turn it red to help you out.

because you are still on your mighty high horse trying hard to point out something that isn't real. Truth be damned.

:|

so people don't look down on others for their style of gaming? Interesting...

You and no one else has changed anything about me and the only thing that is pissing me off is the loose interpretations of a post or thread, the frequent lying, and the constant reading of one or two words and responding based upon it. Here is a clue, if you have nothing to add then don't post. That simple.

But seriously, I'll just call this, no need to get bent about it.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Crucible
Champion

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:
Crucible wrote:How is it trolling or making a point to me to call me out personally and I haven't done anything that you have said. You are smoking something or you have no actual sense
:lol: :lol: ok, ok. I'll turn it red to help you out.

because you are still on your mighty high horse trying hard to point out something that isn't real. Truth be damned.

:|

so people don't look down on others for their style of gaming? Interesting...

But seriously, I'll just call this, no need to get bent about it.

No I do not! That was the broad stroke that you were lamenting about earlier. As for your red, that is me getting irritated with your trolling! Back off bruh! Tired of your lame attempt at making sense which you have not done yet!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:Just went back to make sure, no edits on my part. You changed my post...

You Said wrote:Okay, this was my reaction... :shock:

That was not my post and anyone who goes back to look at this on my first post will see it. Now who is being the arrogant jerk?

so instead of shocked :shock: , you were...neutral...what emotion where you trying to convey with that? Really, I'm interested in knowing, cause I can only imagine that there was some sort of judgment based on that.
wow, sorry, copy/paste doesn't take smilies with it, whoops. But the fact that that is a major point with you, says it all to me

Well it should because I was not shocked...I gave him a very neutral look ala the Conan O'Brien/Max W. staredown.

He actually told me about the characters because I was going to help him at point one. The basis was that for a new GM, that may be too much. Many...I do mean many have been overwhelmed by super powered games. Look at the characters, they aren't even game legal. He thought it would be fun. I knew that it would exhaust him and in the end, it didn't work out.

Now, I was hoping that some of you guys who do run power games would actually tell about how your games go. This wasn't supposed to become THIS annoying and stupid. Guys lurk here to get ideas. Palladium has a huge quit ratio because of rules and easy munchkinism. I'm hoping that we can show folks how to have powered games and enjoy them. I stopped running those games because I like long-term games that have a bit of horror. My guys don't get scared when they have living tanks, plus they were the ones who finally said...NO...

Cut me some slack guy. You obviously got from my post what you wanted. I could care less if you have a Chiang-Ku Cyberknight/Samauri with 85 Magic Tattoos and knows all of the spells of legend with 100 Dragon Juicer soldiers who are about to raid Chi-Town. I'd just like to know how you made it successful so that I can pass it along...

ok, we'll just start over here, this is nice and clear and asks a good question. Okay? *extends hand*

the thing about Rifts and Palladium in general is that there is always something bigger and badder around the corner. In one game a CS squad might be terrifying in their ability against the party, in another that same squad might be just warm up, but the squad of Kiddians is the real threat, then the next the Kiddians are a warm up the CS a roadbump, but that horde of gargoyles on the horizon is cause for concern. You are never the biggest kid on the block in Rifts. And that is just going by the book.

Given the kitchen sink approach that Rifts has going for it, it is perfectly reasonable for the setting to come up with any and every sort of threat to challenge a party. It's all a matter of scale. Sure the guys in low MDC armor and packing modified rifles can have plenty of horror against a swarm of minor demons, but so to can a party of godlings who come to realize that for all their power and abilities, they are facing the same odds against major demons, but added to that can be the realization that if they fall, no one will be there to pick up the slack.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:Just went back to make sure, no edits on my part. You changed my post...

You Said wrote:Okay, this was my reaction... :shock:

That was not my post and anyone who goes back to look at this on my first post will see it. Now who is being the arrogant jerk?

so instead of shocked :shock: , you were...neutral...what emotion where you trying to convey with that? Really, I'm interested in knowing, cause I can only imagine that there was some sort of judgment based on that.
wow, sorry, copy/paste doesn't take smilies with it, whoops. But the fact that that is a major point with you, says it all to me

Well it should because I was not shocked...I gave him a very neutral look ala the Conan O'Brien/Max W. staredown.

He actually told me about the characters because I was going to help him at point one. The basis was that for a new GM, that may be too much. Many...I do mean many have been overwhelmed by super powered games. Look at the characters, they aren't even game legal. He thought it would be fun. I knew that it would exhaust him and in the end, it didn't work out.

Now, I was hoping that some of you guys who do run power games would actually tell about how your games go. This wasn't supposed to become THIS annoying and stupid. Guys lurk here to get ideas. Palladium has a huge quit ratio because of rules and easy munchkinism. I'm hoping that we can show folks how to have powered games and enjoy them. I stopped running those games because I like long-term games that have a bit of horror. My guys don't get scared when they have living tanks, plus they were the ones who finally said...NO...

Cut me some slack guy. You obviously got from my post what you wanted. I could care less if you have a Chiang-Ku Cyberknight/Samauri with 85 Magic Tattoos and knows all of the spells of legend with 100 Dragon Juicer soldiers who are about to raid Chi-Town. I'd just like to know how you made it successful so that I can pass it along...

ok, we'll just start over here, this is nice and clear and asks a good question. Okay? *extends hand*

the thing about Rifts and Palladium in general is that there is always something bigger and badder around the corner. In one game a CS squad might be terrifying in their ability against the party, in another that same squad might be just warm up, but the squad of Kiddians is the real threat, then the next the Kiddians are a warm up the CS a roadbump, but that horde of gargoyles on the horizon is cause for concern. You are never the biggest kid on the block in Rifts. And that is just going by the book.

Given the kitchen sink approach that Rifts has going for it, it is perfectly reasonable for the setting to come up with any and every sort of threat to challenge a party. It's all a matter of scale. Sure the guys in low MDC armor and packing modified rifles can have plenty of horror against a swarm of minor demons, but so to can a party of godlings who come to realize that for all their power and abilities, they are facing the same odds against major demons, but added to that can be the realization that if they fall, no one will be there to pick up the slack.

No offense man, but this was just one too many times that I have had to do a total break down to get guys to realize what the real deal is. I'm a Minister and I have used profanity because of irritation. I don't feel good about it, so I'm out. You all have fun with your board. I don't fit in, because I will not do anyone the way that I have been done here. Thanks.

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I found no fun for myself, in these types of munchkin power games, and as I said before, my players never really understood their charactors, they were just bringing a machinegun to a checkers game.

Sorry to hear that! My standard for fun is that if my players aren't having any then neither am I. In what ways did you fail to have fun in your high powered games?
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:

No offense man, but this was just one too many times that I have had to do a total break down to get guys to realize what the real deal is. I'm a Minister and I have used profanity because of irritation. I don't feel good about it, so I'm out. You all have fun with your board. I don't fit in, because I will not do anyone the way that I have been done here. Thanks.

dude, just foe me and be done with it. No need for the dramatic exit

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I agree! No need to quit the boards over this, man. I've foe'd people. It's kind of liberating, really.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Crucible wrote:I don't fit in, because I will not do anyone the way that I have been done here. Thanks.
You wouldn't disagee with people, and then voice that disagreement in a civil manor?

Dude. Get off the cross and grow a sack.

Warning: User warned for trolling. - NMI
:fool:
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Crucible wrote:I don't fit in, because I will not do anyone the way that I have been done here. Thanks.
You wouldn't disagee with people, and then voice that disagreement in a civil manor?

Beautiful ..

How you try to pass off as a "Civil" conversation .. yet you follow that up with an incredibly GREAT .. Flaim baited hook .. but let me guess .. you're going to say it was a "Civil" flaim bait .. right ?

:rolleyes:
Jesterzzn wrote:Dude. Get off the cross and grow a sack.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I've foe'd Gil and waiting for a go with him in the octagon.

Oh not that kinda foe....
Jesterzzn
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:

Beautiful ..

How you try to pass off as a "Civil" conversation .. yet you follow that up with an incredibly GREAT .. Flaim baited hook .. but let me guess .. you're going to say it was a "Civil" flaim bait .. right ?

I never said I was being civil.

Most everyone else was though.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:

Beautiful ..

I never said I was being civil.

Most everyone else was though.

Flaim baiting is against the rules of the Palladium Boards.

Just in case you diden't know .

:P
Jesterzzn
Champion

Lenwen wrote:Flaim baiting is against the rules of the Palladium Boards.

It wasn't a flame bait. It was an impolite suggestion. One I believe in completely.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

Natasha wrote:I've foe'd Gil and waiting for a go with him in the octagon.

*draws thumb across neck while giving Natasha the "evil eye"*

I WILL BREAK YOU!

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Natasha wrote:I've foe'd Gil and waiting for a go with him in the octagon.

*draws thumb across neck while giving Natasha the "evil eye"*

I WILL BREAK YOU!

Then I guess it's on like Donkey Kong. :twisted:

(you better not disappoint)
Crucible
Champion

NOTICE

From the heart. I want to know how those of you who run powergames make it work out. Thanks.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Flaim baiting is against the rules of the Palladium Boards.

It wasn't a flame bait. It was an impolite suggestion. One I believe in completely.

Jesterzzn wrote:Dude. and grow a sack.

Impolite suggest .. can easily be seen as a Flaim bait.

If this is not a flaim bait ..

You have no idea what a flame bait is then ..

And I politly suggest you learn what flame baiting is .

Jesterzzn
Champion

Lenwen wrote:Impolite suggest .. can easily be seen as a Flaim bait.

And I politly suggest you learn what flame baiting

Are you speaking in some kind of military code, or what?
Crucible
Champion

Jesterzzn wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Impolite suggest .. can easily be seen as a Flaim bait.

And I politly suggest you learn what flame baiting

Are you speaking in some kind of military code, or what?

Could not stay away...what are your suggestions for a power game for those who have failed at it?

Jesterzzn
Champion

Crucible wrote:Could not stay away...what are your suggestions for a power game for those who have failed at it?
I have addressed this topic in full on a few occasions, and you can search for mine, as well as many other's comments on this. There are quite a few that are very well reasoned. I will try and give a short summation here.

Keep everything relative. The players, their obstacles, and the consequences of their actions should all be relative to one another. Powerful characters should face powerful and resourceful opponents. They should face harsher punishments for poor play. The game should reflect the players, and you should never try and wedge players into a game they are not suited for. And by game I mean the GM's game, not the game system.
Crucible
Champion

A powergame that I had.

It started good enough. A friend of mind wanted real bad to try a Titan. Yes, a Titan. Those guys are powerful without any help. It was supposed to be a one shot, but it went on and on.

He was already a Palladin, but I allowed him to become a Cyber-Knight. He also took to a little spell magic. We re-rolled and re-wrote this character a few times and fashioned him a Cavalier type of character. We fashioned him a MDC shield and a nondescript MDC sword. We pulled him off fine. He was perfect for a single hero campaign, but other gamers wanted in and this is where it went left.

I had a player who desired to play something almost as powerful as the Titan. I suggested an Undead Slayer, he suggested a Splugorth Slaver. I suggested a Maxi Man. He suggested a full blown god.

The others too started trying so hard to one up the player with the Titan that a full game never got off the ground. If fact the only guy that I still game with is the player who chose the Titan. I haven't seen the others in years.

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
Crucible wrote:A powergame that I had.

It started good enough. A friend of mind wanted real bad to try a Titan. Yes, a Titan. Those guys are powerful without any help. It was supposed to be a one shot, but it went on and on.

He was already a Palladin, but I allowed him to become a Cyber-Knight. He also took to a little spell magic. We re-rolled and re-wrote this character a few times and fashioned him a Cavalier type of character. We fashioned him a MDC shield and a nondescript MDC sword. We pulled him off fine. He was perfect for a single hero campaign, but other gamers wanted in and this is where it went left.

I had a player who desired to play something almost as powerful as the Titan. I suggested an Undead Slayer, he suggested a Splugorth Slaver. I suggested a Maxi Man. He suggested a full blown god.

The others too started trying so hard to one up the player with the Titan that a full game never got off the ground. If fact the only guy that I still game with is the player who chose the Titan. I haven't seen the others in years.

The other gamers you haven't seen, it wasn't because power gamers tend to be big babies, was it.

It wasn't the first and only incident. One of those guys begged to play as Karl Prosek, Zeus, and a One Hundred Handed. It exhausted me to the point of not playing again for a little while.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Crucible wrote:I tend to keep the guys mortal and not necessarily because I want to, but because the guys like it more. There is more fear and not the idea of dominance.

Here at this forum I see traces of the power creep but I refuse to say anything about it most of the time. I'd have to say though that I would think that a character made from Rifts: Mercenaries armed with refitted SDC weapons and some MD Ramjet or Explosive rounds can be far more exciting than a character that can kill 40 CS troops alone at first level.

No offense. What do you allow in character creation???
Currently in my game I have a Mind Melter from Psyscape, an Elven Cyber-Knight with Zanji, a demigoddess of Zeus, a Super-Spy with psionics, and a Brutal Killer.

Yeah, I don't mind gonzo. What's sad is this group is tame as hell compared to Nekira's NB/Rifts crossover or the Rifts game I'm in.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:I tend to keep the guys mortal and not necessarily because I want to, but because the guys like it more. There is more fear and not the idea of dominance.

Here at this forum I see traces of the power creep but I refuse to say anything about it most of the time. I'd have to say though that I would think that a character made from Rifts: Mercenaries armed with refitted SDC weapons and some MD Ramjet or Explosive rounds can be far more exciting than a character that can kill 40 CS troops alone at first level.

Currently in my game I have a Mind Melter from Psyscape, an Elven Cyber-Knight with Zanji, a demigoddess of Zeus, a Super-Spy with psionics, and a Brutal Killer.

Yeah, I don't mind gonzo. What's sad is this group is tame as hell compared to Nekira's NB/Rifts crossover or the Rifts game I'm in.

This is a perfect example of pure Rifts IMO. This is an awesome group.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Thanks. Oh, I forgot the girl with strange magical powers and an even stranger (and powered) plush Yoshi.

I credit the player with the Yoshi, it's been ******* awesome.

The girl picked the BK's gunsafe and shot the CK with a plasma rifle and has hidden sticks of dynamite in the Yoshi.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Thanks. Oh, I forgot the girl with strange magical powers and an even stranger (and powered) plush Yoshi.

I credit the player with the Yoshi, it's been **** awesome.

The girl picked the BK's gunsafe and shot the CK with a plasma rifle and has hidden sticks of dynamite in the Yoshi.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105930

Here is one of my favorite power games run by me. You probably remember it LOL...

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105930

Here is one of my favorite power games run by me. You probably remember it LOL...
Yes I do. I still don't fully get it, but cool.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:

I would love to explain whatever I was not clear on. Believe me it was a great game.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

I would love to explain whatever I was not clear on. Believe me it was a great game.

One of the things I make clear to my players in that certain types of "power" aren't exclusive to their OCC's. Juiser,MOM,Bionics,and Martial Arts are things you can add to most OCC's if you choose too, with finale call going to the GM(Me), of course. There is no reason why a SF OCC or City Rat or Spy can't have these things, especially at a laterr date if their charactor ccan afford the mods. Which is really cool because they work to step up their power.

The only thing that I do is ask "why" for almost everything. A character wants a pony? I need to know why. After saying why a few times and players hear themselves they tend to start looking in a different way.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

I think I commented to that in that thread. Either way, you had fun as did the rest of the group.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

One of the things I make clear to my players in that certain types of "power" aren't exclusive to their OCC's. Juiser,MOM,Bionics,and Martial Arts are things you can add to most OCC's if you choose too, with finale call going to the GM(Me), of course. There is no reason why a SF OCC or City Rat or Spy can't have these things, especially at a laterr date if their charactor ccan afford the mods. Which is really cool because they work to step up their power.
The only thing that I do is ask "why" for almost everything. A character wants a pony? I need to know why. After saying why a few times and players hear themselves they tend to start looking in a different way.
I try to look for in character reasons for most things, though a pony would be an exception. They're decent transportation.

Unless the character is a minotaur, then it's lunch.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

I think I commented to that in that thread. Either way, you had fun as did the rest of the group.

Yeah, it really was a good game for real. It was set in a world that was nearly conquered by demons, monsters, and wickedness. The Paladin character was born "different" and the mother gave the child up to a temple. The character had wings. This character was taken by the temple paladin and trained to fight evil and as time went on other abilities manifested. Its was a good vs evil campaign. Great story, great players, great roleplay, horrible to describe. I stole the idea from KS. The HU2 GM's guide had the idea installed and I wanted to try something.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:Yeah, it really was a good game for real. It was set in a world that was nearly conquered by demons, monsters, and wickedness. The Paladin character was born "different" and the mother gave the child up to a temple. The character had wings. This character was taken by the temple paladin and trained to fight evil and as time went on other abilities manifested. Its was a good vs evil campaign. Great story, great players, great roleplay, horrible to describe. I stole the idea from KS. The HU2 GM's guide had the idea installed and I wanted to try something.
I unashamedly steal from anywhere I think has a good idea for a game.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:Yeah, it really was a good game for real. It was set in a world that was nearly conquered by demons, monsters, and wickedness. The Paladin character was born "different" and the mother gave the child up to a temple. The character had wings. This character was taken by the temple paladin and trained to fight evil and as time went on other abilities manifested. Its was a good vs evil campaign. Great story, great players, great roleplay, horrible to describe. I stole the idea from KS. The HU2 GM's guide had the idea installed and I wanted to try something.
I unashamedly steal from anywhere I think has a good idea for a game.

I have used a lot of other materials.

Crucible
Champion

Benly wrote:
Crucible wrote:From the heart. I want to know how those of you who run powergames make it work out. Thanks.

I'm going to assume that by "powergames" you mean "games with extremely powerful characters, possibly combined with much less powerful characters". I haven't played much Rifts in years, but I've done games like that in various systems.

The answer is to have players who are all on the same page and all want to tell a story. If people all want to just have fights and be the biggest damage-dealer, the game will fail with imbalanced and powerful characters. If people see RPGs as a conflict between themselves and the other players (or between themselves and the GM), the game will fail with imbalanced and powerful characters. A group that knows each other well is essential, as is a shared outlook that is, essentially, narrativist rather than purely gamist or simulationist.

Good deal. My problem I think were the players who are no longer in my troupe.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Benly wrote:
Crucible wrote:From the heart. I want to know how those of you who run powergames make it work out. Thanks.

I'm going to assume that by "powergames" you mean "games with extremely powerful characters, possibly combined with much less powerful characters". I haven't played much Rifts in years, but I've done games like that in various systems.

The answer is to have players who are all on the same page and all want to tell a story. If people all want to just have fights and be the biggest damage-dealer, the game will fail with imbalanced and powerful characters. If people see RPGs as a conflict between themselves and the other players (or between themselves and the GM), the game will fail with imbalanced and powerful characters. A group that knows each other well is essential, as is a shared outlook that is, essentially, narrativist rather than purely gamist or simulationist.

Good deal. My problem I think were the players who are no longer in my troupe.

I've fond that with so few gamers out there, if you can come to terms with your players,it better for everyone. The sad trueth of it is that some people are just pigheaded an have to be asked to leave the group for the sake of everyone else.

Well, I have a habit of reading the disclaimer to the group and then my own disclaimer. I also make it clear that if anyone starts to take it too far then they have to go.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:Well, I have a habit of reading the disclaimer to the group and then my own disclaimer. I also make it clear that if anyone starts to take it too far then they have to go.
I've always found the disclaimer funny as hell.

But I did have to promise my grandmother I wouldn't go crazy from playing D&D back in 87.

Overall, the group dynamic can easily make or break a game, no matter how "Awesome" the game is by itself.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:Well, I have a habit of reading the disclaimer to the group and then my own disclaimer. I also make it clear that if anyone starts to take it too far then they have to go.

But I did have to promise my grandmother I wouldn't go crazy from playing D&D back in 87.

Overall, the group dynamic can easily make or break a game, no matter how "Awesome" the game is by itself.

Exactly on both points, but I have had a nut or two.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

That's pretty much unavoidable.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Real talk and a half. My closest gaming friend (note I do not hang with him all of the time) is one of the weirdest people I know but is a great gamer.

He just recently got over his fear of children...

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Real talk and a half. My closest gaming friend (note I do not hang with him all of the time) is one of the weirdest people I know but is a great gamer.

He just recently got over his fear of children...
His guard's down! they'll get him for sure!
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

LOL! Right about that. Children seem to follow him around and it creeps him out. He says that they look like little goblins or greys.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:LOL! Right about that. Children seem to follow him around and it creeps him out. He says that they look like little goblins or greys.

Im' glad that he got over his fear of kids. But if he uses game terms to describe them, it might be part of his problem. I personally didn't like kids growing up, and didn't start liking them until my freinds started having them.

Jay! Is that you? No just kidding. Yeah he and my older son are pretty cool, so he got over it. He still thinks that they look like greys though. He had a fear based on his fear of abnormalities which lead to him being afraid of "little people".

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Back on topic if you don't mind.

The best way to limit the power of ones group that I've had sucsess with is limiting the books that they can make charactors out of. None of my freind have every Palladium book made like I do. So I only turn over 5-6 books for them to make their charactors out of. I also never give them sudjestions on what to make.

I second this suggestion.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:

The best way to limit the power of ones group that I've had sucsess with is limiting the books that they can make charactors out of. None of my freind have every Palladium book made like I do. So I only turn over 5-6 books for them to make their charactors out of. I also never give them sudjestions on what to make.

I second this suggestion.
Yes, because with RMB I can't make a dragon.

I find it works better to have a group of players who play well together.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Benly wrote:

I would say that more importantly than restricting power, this improves the game by focusing the theme - it reduces the tendency towards saying "Oh man, I just saw this great class and I gotta play it" and pulling things in a weird new direction. Since almost every dang worldbook has some high-powered class in it, I don't see this reducing power proliferation so much as theme proliferation.

I mean, power gaps are nothing new. You can get some pretty extreme power gaps just with the core rulebook. What you'll get less of with the core rulebook (although I think somewhat more with RUE) is theme gaps

Okay, Munchkin has a great point and so do you. How do we combine the two and make it better that way?

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

I'd say give a cap on classes and ask for a theme if you're that worried about power levels.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:I'd say give a cap on classes and ask for a theme if you're that worried about power levels.

No no. I'm not worried about it. I just thought that a topic based on it would help some.

What I do is ask a lot of "Why's." It works well.

Return to “Rifts®”