Let's Play: Using Movies for Inspiration

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which of these movies have you seen?

28 Days Later
4%
28 Weeks Later
4%
Evil Dead
4%
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn
4%
Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness
5%
Shaun of the Dead
5%
Undead
1%
White Zombie
1%
Bio Zombie
0%
Cemetary Man
0%
Resident Evil
5%
Resident Evil II: Apocalypse
5%
Resident Evil III: Extinction
4%
Resident Evil: Degeneration
1%
Fido
1%
Uwe Boll's House of the Dead
2%
House of the Dead 2
2%
Peter Jackson's Dead Alive
2%
Lucio Fulci's Zombi
1%
Night of the Living Dead (1968 original)
4%
Night of the Living Dead (any remake)
4%
Dawn of the Dead (original)
3%
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
5%
Day of the Dead (original)
3%
Day of the Dead 2: Contagium
2%
Diary of the Dead
2%
Dance of the Dead
0%
Bad Taste
0%
Boy Eats Girl
0%
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island
3%
Re-Animator
3%
Bride of Re-Animator
1%
Beyond Re-Animator
2%
Return of the Living Dead
4%
Return of the Living Dead II
3%
Return of the Living Dead III
3%
Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis
2%
Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave from the Grave
2%
Zombie Strippers
1%
Tombs of the Blind Dead
0%
Return of the Blind Dead
0%
The Ghost Galleon
No votes
Night of the Seagulls
No votes
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
0%

Total votes: 1045

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Let's Play: Using Movies for Inspiration

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Pick any scene from any movie from the massive list. Build a Dead Reign adventure idea based on that scene. AKA, translate the movie to the table and tell us what makes the scene work in the movie and how to translate scene into the game. Forget mechanics, focus on atmosphere, scares and plot.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: Let's Play: Using Movies for Inspiration

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

i'm so glad I voted for Zombie Strippers , because i support Single moms who are Zombies.

personally i think the opening scence from the remake of dawn of the dead is a great opening, start it just any other day , then goto bed and wake up in hell on earth
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

IM STILL FRIGGIN PSST THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN UNDEAD YET! Iy was the ONE Zombie flik that I truly wanted to see... I waited for three years for it to come out, and BAM! No theater carried it up here! D@#B Anti-Aussie A.M.Cinema/Lowes Zombie bigots!!!

Now that it's been out fer rental fer 5 years, I've either not had cash when I had time, or not had time when I had cash... Rank
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Yeah, I knew it was bad, I just had waited to see it was all, I needed to get it outta my system. That underground scene got me to jump alil too, about as much as a scene in "The Others".
Pitch Black was An okay movie Didn't seem scary... In fact, I didn't even know that it was supposed to be to tell you the truth! :-?

But then, how can anyone who spent 14 years having the absolutely WORST night terrors over "The Alien"... Thank God they made Alien 3... I'd Never laughed so hard at a movie before that. Suffering from night terrors of the Mega level for fourteen years kinda Killed any sence of humor I could have had!!! But after that Puke of a Joke of a Fup of a movie, I'm fine now :)

But yeah, it kinda sucks to go to movies and compair them to my dreams just to say... Pass! The upside being is, that I've accidentaly become the Master of Horror GMing... Turns out that, seasoned Horror flick buffs learned to HATE how every campain I ran turned into a fall into the Mouth of madness! I of course blaimed PB fer adding The Bleaming "The Old One" into their games... So I liked thowing them in...

Rifts, Nighspawn, Systems Shock, Skrapers, Chaose Earth, Wormwood, HUL, TMNT, Robotech, ManHunter, Macross, Jovian Chronicals, Tribe 8, Macross Plus, Cybergen... No game was safe! Unintentional as it was, It turned out I was Good at it... I just never intended to be so, but I got a kick out of it when my players finally explained that id been giving them nightmares fer years.

The halls of my mind are vast, dark, and deep as eternity... With out end or fear of the unknown... as it turns out :lol:
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Spinachcat, you list Zombie Strippers and you forget to add "Zombies on a plane"?!?!?! :eek:

Yep, me and my friends saw that (gotta love Netflix!)just to see how AWFUL it was and how full of grade A American bullcookie was in it. :lol: (i'll spare you guys all the horrible details....)

Dawn of the dead remake, underground parking garage scene where they are trying to get to the generator. That was the worst for me. Pitch black, very closed in feeling, sewers would have been better than that. And when that climber dropped down on that one security guard i just about lost it, covered my gf in popcorn it freaked me out that good.

Zombie ingenuity, gotta love it! :ok: I actually clapped my hands and had a good laughing fit when that happened, as i kinda wanted him to die, because he was a jerk and justice was serve IMO. ;)
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Remember the grandma trapped in the basement in Evil Dead II? I want to use her in a Dead Reign game. Imagine the players find a cabin...nobody's home...they find the trapdoor in the floor locked...they go downstairs to the cellar...its all quiet...then granny grabs them from behind the stairs.

The key would be to give the PCs every reason to believe that its safe and there is no zoms in the area. Hopefully the PCs will split up - and I find the best way to get PCs to split up is for the GM to act casual, almost flippant, with descriptions of a location. Once split up, it would be cool if you could reveal that something is down below nigh-simultaneous to the PCs above who find the journal about how Pa had to kill Ma and put her in the cellar and the poor PC who just got his legs grabbed as he walks down the stairs.
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Did anyone ever see "I, zombie"?

The one movie I do want to make into a DR scenario was "Zombies on a plane" (mentioned earlier above). I think that's the title. It was one of those direct to DVD wonders. It's kinda hoaky and simplistic but would make a good scenario. It's a good way to have the characters meet: instead of a smoky tavern waiting for the wizard... they are passengers on the same flight.
then there is the sick/infected people in the special cargo hold. Scientist are trying to figure out why people are dying left and right around the world. There are some specimens in the cargo hold meant for further research. then the dead rise and you got zombies on a plane! people start dying piecemeal, then all hell breaks lose and the Players have to survie til the plane lands. When they finally land they find out the world has gone er.. bad. Welcome to the world of DR.
It could work as a good introduction to the setting. But it needs work, toning down the zombies (they might be too tough as is, especially in a confined space). But yeah... I think it could work.
Thank you for posting this question/thread! Great idea and inspiration for some DR gaming!
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I have seen nearly every one of these movies.

The ones I didnt check are probably ones I'm waiting to see or just dont remember watching. :lol:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

krate wrote:Did anyone ever see "I, zombie"?

The one movie I do want to make into a DR scenario was "Zombies on a plane" (mentioned earlier above). I think that's the title. It was one of those direct to DVD wonders. It's kinda hoaky and simplistic but would make a good scenario. It's a good way to have the characters meet: instead of a smoky tavern waiting for the wizard... they are passengers on the same flight.
then there is the sick/infected people in the special cargo hold. Scientist are trying to figure out why people are dying left and right around the world. There are some specimens in the cargo hold meant for further research. then the dead rise and you got zombies on a plane! people start dying piecemeal, then all hell breaks lose and the Players have to survie til the plane lands. When they finally land they find out the world has gone er.. bad. Welcome to the world of DR.
It could work as a good introduction to the setting. But it needs work, toning down the zombies (they might be too tough as is, especially in a confined space). But yeah... I think it could work.
Thank you for posting this question/thread! Great idea and inspiration for some DR gaming!

I believe the full title of that film is actually "Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780583/
http://www.planedeadthemovie.com/

The zombie plague would have to spread very fast if the PC's board a plane while everything is fine, and you've got a Class 4 or 5 global outbreak by the time the plane lands 6 - 8 hours later. Yikes. Might work better for a limited Class 1 or 2 outbreak one-shot adventure, or as a lead-up to total zombie apocalypse later in the campaign. Also this scenario would be particularly difficult as a result of a distinct lack of items to use as anti-zombie weapons on a typical airplane flight. I hope one of the PC's is playing the armed Air Marshal!
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Scene: Cemetary

"They're coming to get you, Barbara"...
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

White Zombie is the name of a movie? I thought it was just a band.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

The Beast wrote:White Zombie is the name of a movie? I thought it was just a band.

Rob Zombie is a big fan of the movie.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

The Beast wrote:White Zombie is the name of a movie? I thought it was just a band.

I believe its actually the first movie to ever deal with "zombies", though its the traditional voodoo zombies and not the flesh-eating ones.

Stars Bela Lugosi, look it up it awesome for a 1932(?) movie IMO.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.

Return to “Dead Reign™”