Power combo plausibility

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Does the following power combo work?

Yes
11%
No
84%
Other: (please explain)
5%

Total votes: 19

The Baron of chaos
Champion

Re: Power combo plausibility

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

It won't work...well till the vehicle swarm yes, but the indestructible power clearly states you cannot make an entire vehicle indestructables, only a part of it. The part you actually touch. .
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

IIRC, the power specifically states that you can't make yourself indestructible - you're still you even if you've changed the shape and composition of your body. So I vote no. But I'm loving the image of a swarm of tiny fighter jets buzzing a villain. :D
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Even Techno-Form+Swarm Selves+Growth would still equals a small Voltron (Chibi-Volton).

Techno-Form+Swarm Selves+Hyper Density would work for Dive bomb attacks, but nothing more as, you'd haveta "Unfreeze" to start flying again.

But yeah, Multiple Beings is a WAY better power... Unless you've got some power (or combo) that gives you Bukoo HP in excess of 100.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

It won't work because you cannot alter your form twice. That is, you can "swarm self" altering your form, or you can take on a techno-form - but not both.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

killgore wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:It won't work because you cannot alter your form twice. That is, you can "swarm self" altering your form, or you can take on a techno-form - but not both.

But you could still use multiple beings/selves as that power specifically states you can use any other powers you might posses. And I thought it was only the Alter Physical Structure powers that couldn’t be used together.

Yes to multiple beings (it does state that), but swarm selves does not.

The APS powers are the only ones that say within their exact power "alter physical structure", but the stipulation of the ruling is that you cannot use two powers that alter your physical being at the same time. For instance; using intangibility and density control, growth and shrink, or in the above case two powers that have form-altering aspects.

An example would be using techno-form and then shape-shifting to turn back to human - it completely negates the point of a techno-form. While most GM's would allow you to use ones like body-weapons and stretch or an APS (like stone and then turning your fist into a giant mace), having two form-altering powers often negates or renders useless the other (or creates an exploit in the case of ones like intangibility and desity control), so they have disallowed their use on a basis of this.

That said, there are villains such as Kelvin who contradict this rule (I believe he's in Villains Unlimited). So really if you wanted to use a combo of swarm selves and techno-form, you're best to ask the GM, as this one isn't quite APS: Metal and APS: Water (water behemoth that is immune to regular damage and has 900 SDC). I would definitely use Kelvin as a flag-ship arguement on why it should be okay.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Steeler49er
Hero

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Frankly, Most everyone Ignores that rule as, It came MANY years into people playing the game with APS type combos and would mean that all of our decades-old+ and (at the time) FULLY GAME LEGAL characters now had just been arbitrarily Illegal for No good reason.

FYI-Multiple Beings was Classified as being an APS power (Read the book) just so "people won't useit abusively in concert with APS powers"-end quote!

Oddly enuff (or "enough" fer you grammer hounds) in the next column over (and seemingly only placed there so as to Placate people by throwing them a bone), that Same book says you can "Combine Mimicry & Shapeshifting to allow for the growth of Extra limbs like wings to be mimicked".

To bad though, that since by using Mimicry you loose ALL your own power in return for gaining all of your targets (in the power description).
And ALSO that is a redundentcy of a thing to say as, (also according to that same powers description) if the target of your Mimicry already has wings <IE: Flight 'Winged'> you AUTOMATICALLY get them!

Which (FYI) means that both ShapeChanging AND now Mimicry as well are both (must both) be considered APS powers by the rules just One lil old column over from that statement. It was just a <bad> attempt to make us all feel like "Hey, you lost, but here's a half hearted attempt to make you feel better" :lol:
I personaly was a bit confused by it all. There ain't no reasonable reason atoll fer such a rule, as Zechs Marquise :twisted: of Gundam Wing once pointed out to a mechanic that altered the Pre-sets on his Mech (so as to "Improve its performance"), "Don't, That's the Pilots Job, to adapt to those setting... It's not your place".

It's not PB's place really to enforce "Fairness" on powers to the point of irrationallity like that, It's the GM's job to say "No!"

Your combo is okay fine upto the point where you decided to add in Indestructability. All yah need now is Allotta HP to make it worth while.

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero

Oh, and FYI-Kelvin is in Century Station.

Steeler49er
Hero

killgore wrote:What book was that? I thought I had all of the HU books.

The rule about not using APS powers was added in either the GM's Hand book, or The NEW new revised Main Book.

killgore wrote:And your right, I don't and won't use that rule. Unfortunately, I also like to play, so I have to deal with other people has GMs. :P :P
Trust me dude, allottuvus feel your pain about the "Rules stickler" insane GM.

Al Blotto
Wanderer

Unread post by Al Blotto »

Page 74 of HU2:
Spoiler:
Characters who might have two different Alter Physical Structure powers cannot use them at the same time; pick one or the other. Of course, the character can transform from one to the other in a matter of seconds, switching back and forth as necessary.

Note: Two powers that alter the character's physical structure can not be used simultaneously. This includes such physical altering powers as Growth, Shrink, Bio-Armor, Body Weapons, Alter Limbs, Alter Facial Features & Physical Stature, Animal Metamorphosis, Lycanthropy, Multiple Beings/Selves, Tentacles, Stretching and all Altered Physical Structure powers.

ALSO: Page 9 of G.M.'s Guide.
Spoiler:
Why can't my character make multiples of himself and each one use Shapechange (and any number of other power combinations)?
[...]The rule on page 74 of HU2 was designed to check this. If you feel comfortable letting characters use certain super abilities in tandem, go right ahead and ignore the list of powers that will not work together.
Of course there are obvious pairings that do not work simultaneously, such as Alter Physical Structure Water and Fire, but if you feel comfortable with a character using Growth one action then Altering his structure to liquid on the next - Viola! Instant water behemoth! - or someone with six Multiple selves all altering their structure to metal, then help yourself and more power to ya.[...]
Al Blotto
Wanderer

No problem. The rule states that if you don't want to use it, you don't need to. It's just something to give GMs an out if they don't want an overpowered game. It says if you can handle it, go for it. I don't use the rule either.
Al Blotto
Wanderer

I'd buy that for a dollar! :eek:
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

The intensity of the paradox is such that could cause the megaverse to collapse on itself...Naaa if survived Megadamage vibrospoon paradox(one accidental stab can disintegrate an adult human), can survive everything :lol:
Anywa we can alla gree that those combo limit rules on HU main books are at best poorly written and at best silly beyond belief
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Steeler49er
Hero

Al Blotto wrote:I'd buy that for a dollar! :eek:

Robocop? :-?

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Steeler49er wrote:

Well technically that's from a Detroit TV show, but Robocop exposed the rest of us to it.
Steeler49er
Hero

Awww...
I see, I'd always wondered where RC had gotten it from in the first place... Now I know, and Knowing is, well, you know the rest.

HEY, We've got SnOw! Yippy skippy

Al Blotto
Wanderer

The Beast wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:

Well technically that's from a Detroit TV show, but Robocop exposed the rest of us to it.

Ha! I got it third hand from Smash T.V.!
Steeler49er
Hero

Tyciol wrote:You don't need to ignore the rules to do this.

The way Multiple Selves works with APS powers is the original person cannot use an APS while his clones are out.

His clones are not using 'Multiple Selves', they don't even have the power, so the clones CAN use APS powers.

We know this attempted loop hole of yours very well... However, since the rules for both APS powers AND Multiple Beings do Not infact tell you "The way Multiple Selves works with APS powers is the original person cannot use an APS while his clones are out."-end quote, it infact tells you this "__________"....AKA-nothing.

It simple say that "Two APS: Powers can not be used in simo-cast, then it gives a list of APS and Multiple Beings is listed among them... Not much more. So who knows What will and will not work... Ya might as well ignore the rule since, It was only added "To because we realized the potential for abuse"-End quote.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”