Psionic Superpower P.P.E. Shield

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Psionic Superpower P.P.E. Shield

Unread post by darthauthor »

Question:

Does P.P.E. Shield also protect against ISP loss?

Or could it be a means of defense against any other attack?

It doesn't seem like that great of a power, let alone a Super Psionic power if ALL it does is keep a Mind Melter, or such, from losing PPE. Considering classes like Mind Melter don't have much to begin with and can only use it for TW devices.

Description reads:
"A psionic defense that can be used to prevent P.P.E. vampires, PsiStalkers, and mages from siphoning off one's psychic energy. The shield works similarly to a Mind Block, only it prevents others from draining one's P.P.E"

For a Mind Melter and such this doesn't seem that great of a Super power. Seems like, for being a SUPER Psionic power, it should do more. I'd want it to, maybe, mask PPE & ISP (psychic scent) from detection.

MAYBE a limited immunity to pure psionic energy attacks.

Otherwise, I don't know why anyone would use or even take this power given the circumstances of who is eligible for it and the consequences. I mean, if a Psi-Stalker kills the psychic with and energy pistol or his bare hands what's the psychic going to say, "At least, he didn't get any PPE from me." Then dies.

While an entity's psychic attack can drain a psychics PPE but pyshics have like 10 PPE and no spells. So why defend against it let alone use a Super Psionic power to do it?
A vampire? He has to drink the Master psychic's blood then the vampire, what, doesn't get any PPE? Is that how it works? Immunity to a vampire's bite while the power is active?

I am REALLY hoping this power has more to it than I can see.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Psionic Superpower P.P.E. Shield

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You left describing in which gamebook the power you are asking about is found. Not all of us are'Brians' and have all the gamebooks memorized.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You left describing in which gamebook the power you are asking about is found. Not all of us are'Brians' and have all the gamebooks memorized.

RUE 180, it looks like.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:Does P.P.E. Shield also protect against ISP loss?

Technically no IF you use the literal word in the text. It is possible to convert ISP to PPE at a 2:1 ratio, though weather PPE Vampires and such can do that I don't know off hand.

darthuathor wrote:It doesn't seem like that great of a power, let alone a Super Psionic power if ALL it does is keep a Mind Melter, or such, from losing PPE. Considering classes like Mind Melter don't have much to begin with and can only use it for TW devices.

Who says the power has to be useful to every Master Psychic like a Mind Melter (to use your example), there are PPE rich options that come coupled with Super Psionic Power options:
-Royal Frilled Dragon RCC (pg162)
-Mystic OCC (RUE pg118-9)
-CyberKnight OCC (RUE pg64, IF they roll Master Psychic, 6d6 PPE base and D-Bee CK's get that in addition to their racial PPE)

And that is just from the main Rifts Book (UE), and the Mystic and Dragon (though not this species of) both existed in RMB-era. The Mystic option also exists in the PF2E mainbook. And those are not the only examples in the Rifts line (either in terms of Class or Race).
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Whether a GM or player, don't feel you need to be constrained by RAW unless that is the constraint you have decided to play with. If it is, then live with the consequences of poor editing, inconsistent rules, deficient descriptions, and myriad interpretations of plain language. Otherwise,... I like the sentiment of the following point which I think applies to any RPG:
NB3 pg 39, emphasis added wrote:G.M.s should therefore feel free to introduce new or variant spells, either to suit the details of their adventures, or just to keep the players on their toes. Nothing destroys a sense of horror and mystery like a player who says "It's all right, I've read the rules and it says in the spell description that..." So occasionally, introduce opponents and mystic secrets with unknown magic or spell variants to keep the players guessing and worried.

This is in the section about making your own spells for your game. However, if you spin it around to relate to char gen, the same could be said for psionics. Don't like how the PPE Shield power is written? Who is to say your psychic has the exact same cookie cutter power as everyone else? Though the preceding pages talk about the mechanics of PCs inventing spells which wouldn't necessarily apply to innate psi powers, pg 39-42 talk about how to tailor magic for your game - useful ideas and tips that can also apply to psionics. By taking ownership of your own game, you can make the call then and there as GM or with your GM. No need to wait on folks on this forum to pipe up on how you play your game. If you think it should work better than how it's written in a book, just do it and have fun!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote:Question:

Does P.P.E. Shield also protect against ISP loss?

Or could it be a means of defense against any other attack?

It doesn't seem like that great of a power, let alone a Super Psionic power if ALL it does is keep a Mind Melter, or such, from losing PPE. Considering classes like Mind Melter don't have much to begin with and can only use it for TW devices.

Description reads:
"A psionic defense that can be used to prevent P.P.E. vampires, PsiStalkers, and mages from siphoning off one's psychic energy. The shield works similarly to a Mind Block, only it prevents others from draining one's P.P.E"

For a Mind Melter and such this doesn't seem that great of a Super power. Seems like, for being a SUPER Psionic power, it should do more. I'd want it to, maybe, mask PPE & ISP (psychic scent) from detection.

MAYBE a limited immunity to pure psionic energy attacks.

Otherwise, I don't know why anyone would use or even take this power given the circumstances of who is eligible for it and the consequences. I mean, if a Psi-Stalker kills the psychic with and energy pistol or his bare hands what's the psychic going to say, "At least, he didn't get any PPE from me." Then dies.

While an entity's psychic attack can drain a psychics PPE but pyshics have like 10 PPE and no spells. So why defend against it let alone use a Super Psionic power to do it?
A vampire? He has to drink the Master psychic's blood then the vampire, what, doesn't get any PPE? Is that how it works? Immunity to a vampire's bite while the power is active?

I am REALLY hoping this power has more to it than I can see.

P.P.E. Shield does nothing whatever to protect ISP or anything Psionic-Releated, except psionic means of draining P.P.E. such as a Psi-Stalker.

You are correct that it's not useful for a Mind Melter that doesn't have much P.P.E. or much need for it.

It's mostly useful for Mystics, or creatures with both Psionics and Magic, like Dragons, or greater demons, who do benefit from a psionic way to avoid P.P.E. Drain.

Not every power is useful to every type of character. If you can't think of a reason why one class wouldn't benefit from a power, ask yourself if there's a different class with access to the same pool of abilities that would.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”