Couple of 'Borg questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Couple of 'Borg questions

Unread post by Razzinold »

The one time I played a 'Borg was way back when I first started playing Rifts, and the GM had a lot of house rules, so I'm not sure which rules are the correct ones and it was so long ago I'm pretty hazy on the details to begin with.

I know they need to breathe, since they need to feed oxygen to their brain, but do they need to eat ?
I know they need to sleep, once again they have a human brain and heart, but what does the P.E. stat do for them?
Do you roll one up simply because you still have a human heart ?
Does your heart rate still rise with physical exertion even though the limbs being moved are robotic?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Couple of 'Borg questions

Unread post by Mack »

Razzinold wrote:The one time I played a 'Borg was way back when I first started playing Rifts, and the GM had a lot of house rules, so I'm not sure which rules are the correct ones and it was so long ago I'm pretty hazy on the details to begin with.

I know they need to breathe, since they need to feed oxygen to their brain, but do they need to eat ?

This isn't directly addressed in the books, but it's generally agreed they need to eat a little to support the few organic parts that are left.
Razzinold wrote:I know they need to sleep, once again they have a human brain and heart, but what does the P.E. stat do for them?

Yes, still roll up a PE attribute because it may be used for certain saving throws, etc. (And the character may not even have a human heart.)
Razzinold wrote:Does your heart rate still rise with physical exertion even though the limbs being moved are robotic?

No, the heart rate (if they have a heart) would remain constant as it's not pumping blood to those limbs.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Razzinold wrote:The one time I played a 'Borg was way back when I first started playing Rifts, and the GM had a lot of house rules, so I'm not sure which rules are the correct ones and it was so long ago I'm pretty hazy on the details to begin with.

Greetings and Salutations. I don't know Rifts as well as some others, but this is what I found ...

Rifts Bionic Sourcebook, page 85 has "Anti-Toxin and Super Digestive System" and page 89 has "Recycler." Both of those discuss the digestive system and eating (the latter also discussing drinking). So, unless something in the Full Conversion 'Borg suggests otherwise, looks like they probably do.

Also, as you point out, you still have a brain. I'm fairly sure eating is what provides energy for the brain. I remember someone said they used to think of 'Borgs eating baby food like in Robocop. I kind of figure something like an IV that carries everything the brain and such need and just gets plugged into some internal port (open up chest hatch, hook up, close, and continue on with your day). But I don't think either of those are supported by the book.

Razzinold wrote:I know they need to sleep, once again they have a human brain and heart, but what does the P.E. stat do for them?
Does your heart rate still rise with physical exertion even though the limbs being moved are robotic?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is there some reason you think they keep their P.E.?

I ask because on RUE, page 47 we have the "Attribute Note" that tells us only to roll "the three mental attributes: I.Q., M.E., and M.A." I believe P.B. was only supposed to be included if you kept a human face.

Of course, that's only discussing Full Conversion 'Borgs. Partial Conversion 'Borgs (such as Headhunters) would still have all the attributes. In the case of partials, I'd say that bionic limbs still require physical exertion, because they're still attached to fleshy bits. When you lift, run, etc., more than just a single robotic limb moves. This puts exertion on other (still squishy) parts of the body. RUE, page 75 even discusses limitations on bionics because of the stress it puts on the rest of the body, so there's some support for this concept. While I think this would probably result in you being less fatigued, I don't think there's anything in the rules about it so that's the best reasoning I can provide.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

even full conversion borgs have organic bits and those organic bits still require food/air. They tend to need less of both than normal because there is a lot less parts of them to consume air/food energy. Bionics source book has some options to mitigate those needs as well.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Prysus wrote:Is there some reason you think they keep their P.E.?

I ask because on RUE, page 47 we have the "Attribute Note" that tells us only to roll "the three mental attributes: I.Q., M.E., and M.A." I believe P.B. was only supposed to be included if you kept a human face.

Of course, that's only discussing Full Conversion 'Borgs. Partial Conversion 'Borgs (such as Headhunters) would still have all the attributes. In the case of partials, I'd say that bionic limbs still require physical exertion, because they're still attached to fleshy bits. When you lift, run, etc., more than just a single robotic limb moves. This puts exertion on other (still squishy) parts of the body. RUE, page 75 even discusses limitations on bionics because of the stress it puts on the rest of the body, so there's some support for this concept. While I think this would probably result in you being less fatigued, I don't think there's anything in the rules about it so that's the best reasoning I can provide.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

It is listed in Bionics source book under Heavy Combat Borg (pg 78), I was flipping back and forth between that book, RUE and South America 2. I guess I didn't notice that they dropped that stat in RUE.
StormSeeker
D-Bee

Unread post by StormSeeker »

In rifts Japan there's a bionic item called "Internal IV Feed" that can let you go up to a week or so without eating. It specifically says that it's mostly used by special forces soldiers and full conversion borgs, and adds that it lasts twice as long for borgs.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

The brain needs oxygen and glucose/blood sugar to survive. I would think the Borg would still need to eat some food just to keep the brain going.

Return to “Rifts®”