Anticipation (Rifter #7)

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Anticipation (Rifter #7)

Unread post by Yendor »

I just realized, reading through the skill description, that it's quite powerful. Snippet of the skill:

"If the character with this skill declares a simultaneous attack in melee combat, he may negate his opponent's attack if he successfully strikes. That is, his opponent's attack doesn't count at all! The strike must be a Punch, Snap Kick or a simple weapon thrust. Also, there is no time to put any real force behind the strike, so no P.S. bonus applies to damage. See the rules for simultaneous attacks for details."

Nutshell, if you use a knife (1D6 S.D.C.), and roll 5 or higher (since it doesn't say bonuses are disallowed), you get a sure fire attack your opponent cannot defend against.

Anyone else notice this?
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Re: Anticipation (Rifter #7)

Unread post by Lord Z »

No, I hadn't realized that.

That interpretation looks basically correct to me. A character with that type of training is supposed to dominate close-quarters in-your-face fighting. I would give the opponent a chance to auto-parry or auto-dodge because these defenses don't require using an attack-per-melee, thus the opponent's attack, the simo-attack with anticipation, and the parry or dodge all occur during the same attack-segment of the melee round. I would also introduce an NPC from time to time who also had this skill. An opponent who also has Anticipation could anticipate the counter-attack, and thus neither character inflicts damage until someone rolls poorly or switches tactics.

Remind me, does Anticipation have a percentile score?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Nope, Anticipation costs 2 skills (1 if you've taken an Exclusive martial art). However, according to the rules for simultaneous strike, you and your opponent cannot defend. You punch (and roll a good strike roll) it hits, he/she cannot defend, but then He/she can punch you back, and you cannot defend.

So, as written Anticipation means your character, with a knife, can declare a simultaneous attack, and, unless a 1-4 is rolled (after or before bonuses, depending on how you play), you get to attack and your opponent has to stand there and take it, no defense.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

And if both fighters have Anticipation...? How do you interpret that situation?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

If both have it, just becomes normal simultaneous strikes. (i.e., you hit him, he hits you).
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Isn't that the same as the power block from Ninjas and Superspies? You basically use an action to block with a strike, which inflicts damage (I believe it's 1D6 with no PS bonus) to the attacker and negating his attack. I think Drop Kick is the same as well.
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Yeah I always pictured it as more of a thundering forearm strike against the opponent's arm, but it comes with the chosen style (you don't need to use up skill slots to get it). I don't remember if power block uses the strike bonus rather than a parry bonus, but if you're better at striking than parrying, then yeah Anticipation would be a good thing to have. It gives you that missing JKD Intercept (I know the concept of the intercept is in other styles as well, but Bruce Lee made it much more accessible to casual martial artists).
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”