can their be a smart gun in rift earths ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

can their be a smart gun in rift earths ?

Unread post by ZINO »

how do a smart gun work
like .......
R.O.F ?
Damage ?
payload ?
for a rail gun ?
for energy pistol/rifle type?
an M.D.C rifle or machine gun / grenade machine gun type weapon ?
other featurescan their be a smart gun in rift earths ?
and can their be a smart gun in rift earths ?
a player want to built a smart weapon since he made a killing in the arms market
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: can their be a smart gun in rift earths ?

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Last time I commented on Zino's lack of clarity I pissed him off, but I have little in the way of understanding what he is talking about.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Seeing as the missiles aren't even guided, it's going to be difficult, but not impossible. :P :)

But I think I need to know more about your actual intent.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

rat_bastard wrote:Last time I commented on Zino's lack of clarity I pissed him off, but I have little in the way of understanding what he is talking about.

Who do you think hired Cherico to beat your head in? :P
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

rat_bastard wrote:Last time I commented on Zino's lack of clarity I pissed him off, but I have little in the way of understanding what he is talking about.

i am soooo sorry i not very good at these post but i try to explain my self / i mean what are smart use for in infantry use and how can a player come up with in rifts earth only

in a movie that i saw name #%%%^&$@@# 2 theses monster fought against the marines and marines had smart weapon but didn't see anything special in combat just a lot of ammo in S.D.C terms , how can/ what are the features or abilities in smart weapons on infantry level only USING M.D.C ?
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

The Beast wrote:

Who do you think hired Cherico to beat your head in? :P

lol
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

He might be refering to the automatic weapon emplacements used in the movie Aliens, that the marines used to slow the alien advance through a couple of hallways. Which was simply a heavy machine gun attached to a motorized turret with a trigger assembly hooked into a motion sensor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ZINO wrote:

i am soooo sorry i not very good at these post but i try to explain my self / i mean what are smart use for in infantry use and how can a player come up with in rifts earth only

in a movie that i saw name #%%%^&$@@# 2 theses monster fought against the marines and marines had smart weapon but didn't see anything special in combat just a lot of ammo in S.D.C terms , how can/ what are the features or abilities in smart weapons on infantry level only USING M.D.C

Huh.
That doesn't really clarify.
:?

In any case, a Smartgun is generally a gun that is self-aiming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartgun

In some science fiction settings, the smartguns are linked to the HUDs, so the owners could see where their guns were aiming.
Slightly better than a laser sight, I suppose.

In standard cyberpunk, a smartgun is linked directly into the owner's cybernetics and reflexes.
It's not just that you can see where the gun is pointed; the gun is an extension of you, and the computer helps aim your arm.

Either type would work well for Rifts

For the more generic smartgun, I'd say the effect would just be a strike bonus. Maybe +1 or +2 on top of other bonuses. Or maybe +5, but it doesn't stack with other targeting systems.

For the more cyberpunk version, I'd say +5 to strike (non-stacking with other targeting systems) and +1 attack.
A smartgun should be pretty expensive, though, and it should require some kind of wetware other than just a headjack.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I can see two types, one that the soldier points the weapon sort of in the right direction and the on-board sensors and servos move the barrel and electric trigger the round or the sensors just fire the round when it's pointed in the right direction, and two, the sensors auto adjust the targeting sight of the weapon in response to the weather conditions.

auto weapons....
QF-3000 E Ghost (RT:M1 page 72)[RT:M2 page 108
Lancer II space cannon (RT:M1 page 69)
the above mentioned spider definse drone
ARC-2 "Nighthawk" Defense System (RJapan page 128)

those are the only auto 'drone' weapons in the books that I can remember off the top of my head.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

I think he's referring to the guns used by Vasquez and Drake (in Aliens). It sounds like the same weapons were used for AVP2, though I can't say for sure since I haven't seen seen it. But these are all guesses since I really can't tell exactly what he's referring to.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

kronos wrote:He might be refering to the automatic weapon emplacements used in the movie Aliens, that the marines used to slow the alien advance through a couple of hallways. Which was simply a heavy machine gun attached to a motorized turret with a trigger assembly hooked into a motion sensor.

your in the right track thank you :D
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rifts already has those. They're called Skelebots, Dyna-bots, the spider-like Kittani bot whose name is escaping me at the moment (which is alot closer in design to what you're talking about), Thinmen, Runts, Archie's robots, ect. It's just that the ones I listed are further advanced than the sentry guns you're speaking of, which is why you don't see any sentry guns.

Now if you really want one, there is the advance mine system from Wellington Industries that can be pre-programed with enemy/friendly information. Just replace the missle launcher with the weapon of your choice.

As for an actual smart-gun, Cyber-Punk has already done them, and is likely what everyone thinks of first when they hear smart-gun in a RPG context. I'd make the bonus a +3 to strike, maybe a +5 at the most. This is in addittion to any other bonuses.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

to be honest, to get a "aliens style smartgun" in RIFTS would just be taking some crew served support weapon (like a MG style railgun and such) and matching it up to one of those weapon harnesses used by the Russian warlords or produced by naruni. then it's just a case of putting a decent targeting system on to the combo.

while self aiming isn't exactly something you see much in rifts (according to the aliens technical manual, it was really more of a "picks out targets and refines the existing aim" anyway), combining laser targeting with some optical scope options (perhaps multi-optic scopes?) would give some decent bonuses to strike.

if you really want self-aiming, take a kittani spider gun drone, rip the legs off, and bolt it to one of those harnesses.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Beast wrote:snip...

As for an actual smart-gun, Cyber-Punk has already done them, and is likely what everyone thinks of first when they hear smart-gun in a RPG context. I'd make the bonus a +3 to strike, maybe a +5 at the most. This is in addittion to any other bonuses.

I would go with +5 at most also, that is what smart warheads get.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Beast wrote:snip...

I would go with +5 at most also, that is what smart warheads get.

Best of both worlds.

If you pull and shoot, you get a +3.

If you do an aimed shot +5
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Sure.

If Gene Simmons can have one, why not Rifts?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Voran wrote:The harness worn Smartguns of Vasquez and Drake had the benefit of being fireable at full auto but the smart circuits would prevent them from firing at friendlies 'in the line of fire'. You could pull a wide arc spray and only hit potential foes. Didn't say that in the movie, but that's what I recall from old tech manuals back in the day.

IIRC the techmanual i used to own (loaned it ot a friend, and never got it back. and now they're way to expensive. :( ), the M56 usually fired in short bursts, which thanks to the aiming system could leave a single hole in a target. control was basically the gun picks out targets and displays "boxes" over them on the HUd, and the user just moves the gun's aimpoint ot be inside whatever box brackets the desired target, and the gun did the rest. but because the users wanted to spray the thing, instead of being just a motive system and target prioritizer for the gun, they'd disable the automatic aiming features and run it on manual control, which allowed them to fire longer bursts in wide arcs, but was way less accurate since the autoaiming features were disabled.

the use of the guns camera's to pick out your manual operation aimpoint as described in the techmanual is fairly close to how the camera sights of the real world Landwarrior system work.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Sig

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

hahaha
just saw your sig.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Sig

The Galactus Kid wrote:hahaha
just saw your sig.

?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

are you talking about a gun with a minature on board ai making minute adjustments to each shot you make for targeting enemy combatants? then yes its rifts anything is posible
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Isn't there an automated gun in the Japan book as well?
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Shazam wrote:
mellowmaveric wrote:are you talking about a gun with a minature on board ai making minute adjustments to each shot you make for targeting enemy combatants? then yes its rifts anything is posible

the issue I have is that yeah you can have a mini comp that is in the bullet - issue is how does it change a bullets trajectory? A bullet is fired or in the case of a rail gun expelled from the barrel the actual bullet now is stuck in one direction, put a rocket on it etc and basically its a rocket.

you'd think, but apparently the army can do better. 8)
and thats with 20th century technology. heck, their making it an add on kit, adding smarts to mortars, and have had smart rounds for tanks since the 80's. though those were kinda fragile and didn't work as well. not to mention rocket boosted extended range versions for naval vessels.

pop out fins or steerable boattails do a decent job of allowing a projectile, even a ballistic tragectory one, to alter it's course. add in micro sensors and a simple micro computer to steer it, and you have a bullet that can home in on a target. while the "replay" option from fifth element is probably unlikely, a bullet able to curve it's trajectory to ensure a hit when fired normally would easily be in the realm of RIFTs or phase world technology.

it would just be ridiculously expensive.....

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

why would it be in the bullet? that sounds like a waste to me. i was thinking of the computer being able to adjust the balance of the gun by adjusting its weight to different sides making your shots more accurate so you dont have to worry about trajectory once it has left the barrel it could be preprogramed with typical behavior and can learn from an individuals behavior the longer a fight goes on with them by observation and extrapolate probibale movments in adition to improving your overall aim
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

if it's the gun, it means the gun must be self aiming. which usually means it's pointless to use it as a handweapon or rifle, and your either stuck with harnesses liek in aliens or it's stuck on a tripod.

if it's in the bullet, the bullet can adjust it's own course to deal with target movement after it is fired. a gun can't do that. at best it can adjust for probable future target movement. the bullet can adjust for actual target movement after firing.

it boils down to "are you looking ot improve aiming accuracy, or hit accuracy?" if your looking to improve your ability to aim, go with the gun. if you want an improvement in number of hits, go with the bullets. for an improvement in both, use both in the same weapon.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Zerebus wrote:Define "Smart Gun". I've seen multiple usages.

For example, there are "Smart Guns" that recognize their user and refuse to function for unapproved shooters.

There are also "Smart Gun" concepts that are more about smart bullets than smart guns. And here, too, there are multiple types.

Rodger Rabbit's DumbDum bullets may not be.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Olaris wrote:ok, im lost, thought there was new stuff here?? -- bump! :lol:

Look here ,sorry
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99418
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

For another take on a "Smart Gun" google Scott Bennie, Gestalt, and "The Living Gun"

Return to “Rifts®”