carrion eaters and zombies.

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nxla666
Champion

Re: carrion eaters and zombies.

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Most carrion eaters dont go after things that are still moving though, some will (like vultures) most wont.

Sharks definately will go after a zombie in the water.

Another thing you have to consider though is that animals will flee from things that are "unnatural", even predators, so until an animal hits starvation they would run from an zombie.

Dumb animals like crabs and lobsters... they would go after zombies and most would be eaten/killed by the zombies before any real harm could be done to the zombie, keep in mind the lobster/crab(s) would actually be doing very little to a zombie whilst the zombie bites down kills lobster/crab feeds on its PPE grabs the next one (I am assuming you are having the lobster/crabs swarm them). Only downside for the zombie is the hardness of the shell, though I doubt that would actually be to much of an issue.

As a personal aside, in my games zombie flesh is toxic to all living things, including bacteria and such.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

I like the island refuge idea. Shark nets around the island would keep it reasonably secure from zombies, or at least let the survivors set up an alarm system. And if you make sure its at least 11 miles off shore it will be out of line of site. That will keep the zombies from seeing the people on the island and unless the Death Cult people, Bandits or others survivors know the island is there it will be relatively secure from them as well.

As for water and the zombies, small ponds and lakes would be their ideal hiding locations. They can get out quickly and are likely to have more people (and other animals) around than deep water.

Oceans, seas and deep water lakes, while they have plenty of life, most life would be too fast to catch. Add to that the zombies PPE sensing range and deep water places would just send them into a more or less permanent hibernation.

Also, the zombie might be able to see you from shore but once it enters the water it'll loose line of sight on you and can easily go out of sensing range do to the depth of the water or just range across the water. What would happen if you were on an island surrounded on all sides by at least 100 yards of water? The zombie could see you but once it went under water you'd be lost to it.

Thinkers pose some added threat, but I don't think they'd be smart enough to find a boat, get it working and pilot it out to the island.

I also wondered what would happen in the crushing depths of the deep ocean? Would they implode? Would algae and other plant life eat away at it?

I tend to think zombies would stay away from bodies of water, for the most part. Normal zombies would skirt around it, unless they were encouraged to go through it by a Thinker or Death Cultist.

I was also thinking about how the weather conditions would effect them;

Winters in the north, would they freeze solid?
With zombies frozen solid would the winter be safe? Would survivor hunt them during this time?
If they still active during the frozen winter, would it be safer to leave the north during this time, since zombie could be hiding in the relative open, under the snow on the ground or in a snow drift?

The dry southwest, would it mummify them and preserve them longer?

How would warm/hot rainy places effect them?
Would they decompose faster?
I'm sure the smell of them would be worse.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Moat.Piranhas.'Nuff said.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Nxla666 wrote:Most carrion eaters dont go after things that are still moving though, some will (like vultures) most wont.

Another thing you have to consider though is that animals will flee from things that are "unnatural", even predators, so until an animal hits starvation they would run from an zombie.

Dumb animals like crabs and lobsters... they would go after zombies and most would be eaten/killed by the zombies before any real harm could be done to the zombie, keep in mind the lobster/crab(s) would actually be doing very little to a zombie whilst the zombie bites down kills lobster/crab feeds on its PPE grabs the next one (I am assuming you are having the lobster/crabs swarm them). Only downside for the zombie is the hardness of the shell, though I doubt that would actually be to much of an issue.

As a personal aside, in my games zombie flesh is toxic to all living things, including bacteria and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if zombie flesh is toxic to bacteria, doesn't that mean they wouldn't rot? Isn't decomposition caused by bacteria?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Nxla666 wrote:As a personal aside, in my games zombie flesh is toxic to all living things, including bacteria and such.

And Maggots?
Book wsie you'd have ta Ix-nay that portion of canon about Maggost infecting the zombies after a month.

Still, I've been wondering if whether or not I should throw a Little bit of LAST BLOOD into the mix, JUST to screw with any player base I get.

I mean, it would be cool if when enough humans get or stay together in one location long enough that the Zombies sencing range increases, that way, given enough time, the zombies might just pick back up on a humans trail.

In the books the ranges are:
25ft for 1-6 People
50ft for 7-24 People
and 100ft for 25+People

Hows about that range increases by 10% (of base range) per day a groupg stays in one location. This would be akin to being up-wind from hounds, give an animal long enough and, in time they'll begin to smell you on the winds.

Given a few years the survivors will "smell up the place and, zombies will again start to converge. Plus, at least One 'Mock Zombie' is likely goning to come to it's sences and start to "Rally the zombie troops", so to speak>, now kick it up a notch and say that it has learned how to control other zombies by smartly feeding them.

Now he/she is looking to finish the job that the Wave started, even if it kills off his food supply
<he may have realized he is a zombie, but he's Still crazy!>.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Captain Shiva wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:Most carrion eaters dont go after things that are still moving though, some will (like vultures) most wont.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if zombie flesh is toxic to bacteria, doesn't that mean they wouldn't rot? Isn't decomposition caused by bacteria?

You are correct on both counts.

Which means no waiting around for them to just rot away. :twisted:

Oh, and they dont "heal" unless they feed. At least the way I'm going to run them.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Nxla666 wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:

You are correct on both counts.

Which means no waiting around for them to just rot away. :twisted:

Oh, and they dont "heal" unless they feed. At least the way I'm going to run them.

In the Romeroverse,most zombies aren't too decomposed. And most flesh-eating zombies are the recently dead.

Return to “Dead Reign™”